CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012014

Pacifica

In January, the suspension on our 2004 Chrysler Pacifica (purchased 08/2003), seemed to have issues. A web search to investigate, led me to a much more serious issue that effects '04 and '05 Pacificas. I had our mechanic inspect the frame and sure enough, we were one of the many affected. Our mechanic told us the car was no longer safe to drive, and that the compromised frame caused the front right wheel to shift inwards. We were quoted between 4,000 and 5,000 dollars for our repairs. The car now sits in the garage as we hope for a resolution. After in depth research, I uncovered thousands of complaints related to the issue, two nbc news segments, and a petition. I also discover that a few years back, Chrysler extended the warranty for vehicles produced between February and March of 2004. However, since our vehicle did not fall under this provision, we were never informed that we may have been effected. I contacted Chrysler and opened a case. I was instructed to write an email to the case manager that contained all of the information which I uncovered online (as if they didn't already know the issue existed). This proved to be a waste of time, as we were declined any assistance because our vehicle did not fall within the extend warranty. We have been the only owners of our vehicle, which has 68,000 miles, has been garage kept, and has been driven only by my 85 year old grandparents. Apparently, Chrysler has made a business decision not to address this wide spread issue. There are thousands of owners driving unsafe vehicles, many of which are completely unaware that this issue exists. Us, as well as all other parties effected are due appropriate recourse, but I fear that we will have to cut ties with our vehicle before there is a resolution.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Apr 052014

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rusted in many spots car is unsafe to usr

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Apr 032014

Pacifica

Out of no where last night I went over 45mph and my car gave out all control of the sterling wheel. It works fine unless I go over 45mph it stalls out.

- Sunbury, PA, USA

Mar 222014

Pacifica

Was driving down highway at 55mph, with my niece in the car with me when the car started to pull to drivers side the pulled to passenger side. I slowed the vehicle down to under 40 it was still trying swerve and pull. Scared me and my niece. Has been clunking since about six months after I bought the vehicle in 2008.. spent over a grand on new tie rods, suspensions, when I took it to different dealer for Chrysler vehicles where a technician told me to stop wasting my money, they know there is clunk and dont know how to fix it. I emailed and left message for Chrysler with no respinse. Looks like they know how to fix it but Chrysler wont stand behind their product and fix the problem till someone dies and the families of the deceased have to sue the company, seriously! stand behind your product, I dont think I will ever purchase a Chrysler vehicle again and will inform all friends and family todo the same.

- Canton, SD, USA

Feb 132014

Pacifica

My Chrysler Pacifica"S engine cradle has extensively corroded with rust and has become a danger to drive.this was a national problem reported on Chicago television nbc channel 5. chrsyler claims that they are investigating..I would appreciate if someone from your organization can look at this cradle and the danger my family has been put in. Chrysler also claims that my car was built prior to the problem metal on 2004/2005. Need for someone to inspect thank you

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 112014

Pacifica

The engine cradle cross member of my vehicle has rotted to the point that the car is unsafe to drive. There is a service note for a small window of Pacificas included on a warranty for the same problem, but only for the cars built within a certain date. Chrysler is aware of the problem, but will do nothing to correct it. The cradle incorporates the engine mounts, lower control arms, and steering. If it is not replaced, and breaks while driving, there will be a complete loss of control of the vehicle. I know that my vehicle is not the only one with such a serious issue.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle cross member of my vehicle is rotting to the point that I can no longer have the car safety inspected in pa. There is a service note for a small window of Pacificas included on a warranty for the same problem, but only for the cars built within a certain date. Chrysler is aware of the problem, but will do nothing to correct it. The cradle incorporates the engine mounts, lower control arms, and steering. If it is not replaced, and brakes while driving, there will be a complete loss of control of the vehicle. I know that my vehicle is not the only one with such a serious issue.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Nov 202013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I noticed some difficulty with steering. I purchased and used some power steering fluid. This did not make a difference. I was driving on my own street when the steering completely stopped working. I was able to get the car into my yard. When I had the car looked at I was informed that the cradle that holds the engine was completely rusted and the engine is falling and that is what damaged the steering. I have been informed that this will cost more than 3000 to repair.

- Providence, RI, USA

Oct 292013

Pacifica 6-cyl

While having my vehicle checked for a power steering leak at an independent mechanic, I received call from mechanic that if there was any way possible that I can come down to the service station because the problem was bigger than the leak. Once there he showed me the serious rust through on sub frame rails and engine cradle with noticeable cracks going upward on sub frame. He stated that the cause to my power steering leak is due to this sub frame being in the condition it is and it's vibration. He suggested that I contact Chrysler for a recall because he knows of the same problem on Honda's & Toyota's that were already recalled. After reading the forums and searching for a recall there is an extended warranty but unfortunately I fall under the state of NJ were this state is not eligible for the extended warranty. This is outrageous and a safety recall should be issued right away. With so many complaints I will move forward and start a class action law suit for not issuing a full scale recall to all 2004 Pacifica owners in every state. They clearly recognize the danger in their faulty design and manufacturing yet still refuse to issue a safety recall by only providing an extended warranty to some Pacifica owners. This is a serious danger to my family and a fatality waiting to happen.

- Pennsauekn, NJ, USA

Aug 282013

Pacifica 6-cyl

The front wheel studs are breaking off the vehicle and this is the second time this has happened in the last 3 months both time there has been brand new studs and bolts put on. It has caused the wheel to fall off the vehicle and cause other damages to the fender.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 212013

Sub frame rusted out

- Ocean , NJ, USA

Jun 252013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I bought this 2004 Pacifica from a dealer about a month ago. Took it to the shop to get my shocks looked at and they told me they wouldn't do any work on it because the sub frame was rotted so badly they advised me not to drive or put any money into the vehicle because it is a safety issue. Also there is clicking coming from the steering wheel when you turn left or right. And also a week after I purchased the vehicle the blower motor resister is bad.

- University Hts., OH, USA

Jul 152012

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact noticed a rattling noise from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised the contact that the inner tie rod and sway bar links for the front suspension would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Oct 012012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Sub frame completely rusted apart, resulting in dangerous front end conditions and expensive repair. Found similar issues for other Pacifica owners through research and believe this is a defective part and should be covered and recalled before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Upton, MA, USA

Oct 012012

Pacifica

I purchased this vehicle used with very low mileage. It is in great condition until I started hearing a noise in the front end. I took into the garage to have new tires and brakes put on it. When the mechanic put it on the rack, he said that the frame was rusted through. So, instead of new tires and brakes I now need a new frame. I am just thankful that I was not driving while this happen. I was wondering if this problem as affected other owners also.

- Thorpe, WV, USA

Nov 302011

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica taken to mechanic after purchasing used with 69,500 miles for "clunking" noise in front-end. Replaced parts included: Sway bar linkages, tie rod ends, and struts and mounts all of which needed replacing. But the noise was still there. The mechanic then used a tool he called "chassis ears" to pinpoint the source of the noise. He found that the subframe (engine cradle) was rusted at the point that it mounts to the body, just under the front passenger-side floorboard. Upon further inspection rust was apparent on the drivers-side also. This is a major safety issue!!! the entire front-end of the vehicle including: Engine, transmission, and all front-end suspension and steering is held in place by this subframe (engine cradle). What happens when this totally fails while driving with six people in the vehicle" why has this not become a mandatory safety recall? does someone have to get killed before this gets someones attention" this is not an isolated incident as can be seen by this website. NHTSA please help!!!

- Banner Elk, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Pacifica 6-cyl

I own a Chrysler Pacifica 2004 AWD. The vehicle has had numerous suspension problems, such as a clicking sound and an unstable vehicle. I believe it might be the front cradle of the vehicle but am not sure if this is the exact cause. Also, when I brake, the car makes a huge thud sound. I replaced the brakes and rotors as the dealer has done but the noise is still there. Please investigate this matter as many other Pacifica owners have encountered this. Thank you so much.

- New York City, NY, USA

Oct 252010

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated was driving 35 mph when the steering failed, making it very difficult for the contact to control the steering. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where it was diagnosed. The technician advised the contact that the engine cradle was rusted and fracturing. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 83,000.

- Champagne , IL, USA

Jul 292010

Pacifica

After turning right at stop light and proceeding slowly with acceleration, a loud/shaking noise was heard from 2004 Chrysler Pacifica (similar to a cell phone placed on vibrate instead of ringing when a call is received). Within seconds, vehicle unintentionally accelerated and I was unable to stop it, even after pressing on brakes. I was a block away from where I had to turn to enter our subdivision, traveling down a two-lane road. Thankfully, no cars were traveling in opposite direction, or coming out of our subdivision, so I was able to turn left to enter our subdivision. To try to slow car down, I had to press down on brakes as hard as I could while turning the wheel, which caused the vehicle to swerve, almost hitting a light pole. After turning and stopping the swerve, the vehicle accelerated even further, reaching the '4' on the tachometer (before the turn, it had been at a '3'). as I approached the four-way stop in our subdivision, I again stepped on the brakes as hard as I could, but it had no effect. The tachometer read '4', but the speedometer showed 30 mph, regardless of how hard I pressed on brakes. I could not brake at all, and was losing the ability to steer as I approached the sign. The only way to stop the vehicle was to place it in 'park'(which made the tachometer go even higher) and remove the keys to turn off the car as quickly as I could. This stopped the car right in front of the stop sign. I waited about 30 seconds and attempted to restart car, but after ignition key was turned, tachometer revved up again to '4', though speedometer read '0'. husband maneuvered car the one block home by placing it in 'neutral'. this is the first incident of this nature. Chrysler to be notified in morning, as I called after business hours (7:41 pm cst). Myself, two kids, and two dogs were in the car driving down what is normally a busy two-lane road and into subdivision full of playing children, truly a miracle no one was injured.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Apr 012007

Pacifica

I had a bad vibration in the front. So I took it to the dealer since I had a factory extended warranty bumper to bumper., they said the car needed tires. So I changed the tire it still vibrated. Go back now it is the rack & pinion bushings are bad. But I need to replace the K frame because a weld is broken. They say I broke it cause there are scratches on it. {not that vibration did it} so I paid to have a new one put in. 8 months later the motor mounts break and the engine drops 2" from the ground. Thank god my family was not driving down a highway. So I take it back and they say because there is scratches on it again that broke the bushings.once again I ended up paying to have it fixed.

- Lafayette, CO, USA