Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jul 132015

I went to go wash my 2004 Pacifica and when I got down on my hands and knees to wash the tires I noticed some rust under car so I got on my back and looked under my car and noticed my whole subframe was completely rusted out on both sides.I'm not to happy and I feel as if their should be a law suit filed.I have since read complaints and so far I havnt come across one person who lives in a snow state were the roads are salted in winter who have not had a rusted sub frame on their Pacifica.I don't know what the hold up is with Chrysler fixing what they sold to us!!!

- Strafford, NH, USA

Jun 052015

My report is so similar to 10722720 and the others who have reported rusting through of the engine frame. It is unsafe to drive long distances because the wheel could collapse. My car has always had indoor parking. I asked if salt is the culprit but the owner/mechanic said it is corroding from within. Cost to repair: $3000.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Feb 022015

Went in for yearly inspection. Will not pass engine cradle subframe rotted and cracked. Chrysler will do nothing about repair. Rest of car is in good shape puts a family out of a vehicle with a very big repair bill very sad excuse for a vehicle that cost over $200

- Houlton, ME, USA

May 302015

While in for an oil change I was informed that the engine cradle has rusted through. I was told the same thing last year also. I was informed that now it has rusted through to where it may not be safe to drive since the engine could shift on the rusted engine cradle and cause an accident. Looking online I see that many 2004, 2005 Pacificas have this problem and many have been told by Chrysler Corp., as I was last year, that my vehicle was not manufactured within the 2 months where they say they had manufacturing problems and had fixed those that they say were defective. Chrysler has repaired many Pacifica engine cradles, according to information online, but only after having an outside investigating Agency like a tv station or other entity getting involved. This apparently is a dangerous situation that Chrysler does not want to address with a recall or repair. My request for repair is on file with Chrysler Corp. From my contact with them last year.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

Apr 272015

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at 40 mph, the tires squealed and the vehicle veered to the right. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the front passenger side wheel leaned inwards. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the engine cradle was corroded and fractured. The technician diagnosed that the strut, strut mount, tie rod, and engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Apr 182015

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle of the 2004 Pacifica has rusted severely. One side appears to be all the way through while the other side is about 3/4 of the way through. Vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- Circleville, OH, USA

Oct 152014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle, was riddled with corrosion and rust. During the driving the vehicles vibrate. My car in for routine maintenance, we are discovering that subframe and engine cradle rust. This is actually driving time bombs.

- Athens, OH, USA

Mar 272015

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica, I love the way the car handles. But it is costing me a fortune. I recently took it to be inspected and was told that the engine cradle has rotted on the passenger side. I have replaced the front suspension, stabilizers, and brakes numerous times in the last couple of years now the engine cradle needs to be replaced and there is no recall on it, yet it is an extreme safety problem. This is a replacement that could cost up to $4000. It is just not worth the trouble.

- Milford, PA, USA

Mar 192015

Pacifica 6-cyl

Brought my car into Chrysler dealer for regular maintenance and they called me to say that they would not release the car to me because the entire subframe was rusted and rotted out in spots. Dealer told me the car is a total loss as the repair is $6500 (blue book value ~$3500) and this problem is very common but unfortunately there's no recall. I called Chrysler and the just said I am out of warranty and they will not help, goodbye.

- Mountainside, NJ, USA

Feb 042015

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the fuel gauge malfunctioned and indicated that the fuel tank was half full. The contact mentioned that the gauge quickly decreased to empty as the vehicle stalled. Also, the contact indicated that while accelerating at any speed the front end of the vehicle would shake and vibrate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 164,000.

- Cherry Valley , AR, USA

Dec 012014

Engine cradle has rusted a big whole through.

- Ashcamp, KY, USA

Jan 052015

During a routine oil change, it was noted that the engine sub frame is rusted through and needs replaced. I have searched and this seems to be a common problem that the company isn't dealing with in a fair manor.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Dec 122014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My wife was pulling away from a traffic light and the steering locked up. She was able to stop before crashing. What I found was very disturbing. The rear engine cradle mounts had separated. Causing the engine cradle to contact the ground on acceleration also the steering track which is attached to this cradle became non-functional. The center ripped out of both rear mounts and there is no mechanical stop to prevent the cradle from separating from the body of the car with amount failure. This cradle had been replaced under aa warranty 14 months and 11,000 mi.earlier. I had the vehicle taken to a Chrysler dealership, they informed me that the front cradle mounts were also separated and they could not put the car on the lift to pick it up due safety reasons and the engine cradle would come out from under the car. I contacted Chrysler customer service and after about a week they informed me that they would warranty the mounts and no labor and only if the repairs are done at the dealer. The cost of the parts is minimal in comparison to the total cost of the repair and what could very easily have happened if the mounts had failed in a different situation at a much higher speed and not on a city street.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Dec 122014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My steering wheel started to jerk to the right when accelerating and it was hard to keep the car on the road. It felt like the front wheels were going to fall off. I took the car to the shop and they informed me that the sub structure cradle was rusted through and had failed. This also took out the transmission mount and idler arm. Had I been going any faster when this failed it may have caused the car to swerve into on coming traffic.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

After multiple hard clunk sounds after braking, we investigated the underbody of our Pacifica. The frame has severe rust and some good sized holes present. We are concerned that the engine cradle is unsafe and will not hold the engine securely. This car has no rust on the exterior paint, only the under carriage is rusting out. This car has been garage kept and maintained, so there is no reason this should be occurring.

- Plainfield , IL, USA

May 062014

Pacifica 6-cyl

There are multiple occurrence but the start of the problem was 1 week after I purchased the car. 5/6/14 I replaced the tires left front axle along with the front struts and strut mounts, check engine light on came out for emissions system small leak changed the gas cap. Fine till June then I had to replace everything over again check engine light on again same code P0455 changed purge solenoid, along with the right axle. Fine again till August by this time check engine light is back on now changed the nvld pump plus replaced everything over again struts, strut mounts, along with the rack N pinion, front lower control arms both sides, outter tie rods. Once again fine then October rolls around I take it back in because it acting weird steering wise plus the check engine light is on again same code P0455 now I change out the canister, along with everything over again but the axles they are still good. Now November rolls around and everything is at it again check engine light is on P0455 they want to replace the fuel lines now. Also the 4 motor mounts are broke again my engine is almost ready to fall out. Now they are finally telling me after $3400 that this is all caused by the rust and corrosion on the undercarriage. My subframe and frame have holes in it, the rust is actually making it's was inside my car now. I went to fix a flat tire and when I used the emergency jack I pumped it 1/4 of the way up and boom it went right thru the frame. My alignment keeps throwing it self off because it can't hold the front suspension in place. The strut mount housing looks like another few bumps and it will go threw. Accident: 1st wk Nov '14 I was driving down the free-way luckily doing 45mph and I went to steer my car to the right and it kept going straight and scraped the K-rail. Mechanic said the the bolts he put back into the sub-frame keep falling out because of the rust.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 212014

I recently took my 2004 Pacifica to my mechanic to get an oil change and he advised me that my subframe was rusted, rotted and cracked with holes. He said he had never seen anything like that in his many years as a mechanic. He also took pictures of it to show me. I contacted the local Chrysler and the headquarters and advised them of the same. They said that they were aware of the problem but couldn't help me because my vehicle's age was over 10 years old. I explained to them what the mechanic said and that the part was defective not because of the age of the car but because of the defective part. They do not stand by their product because they said that because of the age of my vehicle that they would not be able to help me. However, I am aware that some local customers in my area had their subframes replaced by Chrysler "free of charge", because the parts employee told me. He said that pictures of their vehicles were taken while on the lift and submitted to Chrysler and they were given authorization to replace the parts. However, they would not accommodate me because I didn't have an extended warranty with them. Chrysler picks and choses the customers that they want to help. Although my vehicle is 10 years old and I don't have an extended warranty with Chrysler, I always have maintained the use of my vehicle with regular oil changes, tune-ups, brake repairs, etc. With a privately owned mechanic. There is no reason that my vehicle should have a rusted, rotted part like this especially since I do not live in a flood zone area.

- Pleasantville, NJ, USA

Nov 132014

Pacifica 6-cyl

After having my front tires replace my mechanic showed me pictures of what was left of my frame from rust and rot. He said I had 2 choices weld or replace. I took it to a welder who has welded for 35 years and could repair most anything. After inspecting my frame he said there was not enough metal left to make a weld that would hold and stated if it were his car he would get rid of it now. So I had a frame ordered. All I'm looking for is to be reimbursed for my expenses.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Nov 172014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Dealing with a rotted K-frame crossmember for the front engine cradle; has caused the whole suspension to fail, effecting steering components, as well as, wearing out other parts such as, engine mounts and front end bushings on a car with less than 100,000 miles on it.

- Columbia, CT, USA

May 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

This car has a serious rust issue on the undercarriage. It starts on the subframe then works its way to the frame of the car. There front suspension has been replaced 3 times in the month alone. Due to this issue I have in regards to this, I can't jack my car up with the jack that comes with the care, if I do it will go right thru that is what it feels like to me.. I can not get a rear alignment on my car because of the rust and my tired have worn or day. If anyone knows anything could they please help I am feed up with this care..

- Riverside, CA, USA