CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jul 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I been having my Chrysler Pacifica 2004 for 7 months. I had to fix my left passenger axle, shock, water pump, radiator, passenger upper motor mount, the tank for the water, fuel injector line, two tune ups, air filter, fuses, brake lights and tires. Thing that is broke, the passenger window elevator, and my ac.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Oct 092014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The underside engine cradle subframe of my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica is rotted and in danger of breaking apart. I can hear noise when steering and the car has a vibration.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Sep 212014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was driving today and it seemed that my steering was extremely hard to turn if I was mashing the gas, harder to turn to the right side of the car. If the car is coasting or I am breaking the steering is easier to control. I have stopped at my parents house on the way home to research what could be happening with my car and found this disturbing news. Unfortunately for me, this is my only source of transportation and I don't have the finances to just get another car...I'm so frustrated right now and I don't know what to do... the consumer stated while driving, she had difficulty steering the vehicle. She noticed when accelerating, the vehicle was hard to steer, but when braking or allowing the vehicle to coast it was a little easier to control. She managed to get the vehicle off the road. She discovered a portion of the support frame dropped from the vehicle, and it appeared the engine cradle was corroded with rust. Updated 12/04/14

- Mcleansville, NC, USA

Sep 082014

Pacifica

I was just advised today by three different auto shops that I have a rusted engine cradle/suspension. I was shocked to find this out and then after doing research found that this seems to be an ongoing issue with this vehicle. I called Chrysler to validate a recall and/or an extended warranty that had been posted covering up to 10 years 150K miles. My car falls into this category was advised that there is no such warranty or recall for my vehicle. It is an obvious safety hazard and an expense that should be covered by the manufacturer. This belongs to my teen daughter and I cannot have her unsafe!

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Sep 022014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Took my car to have a plastic front panel put back on. The repairman sent me pictures of the engine cradle rusted out. Told me the car was unsafe to drive until it was fixed. Contacted local Chrysler dealer and gave me information to contact customer service. Called customer service and my vehicle was outside the coverage described on bulletin 13-001-12 issued on Mar 16, 2012 by Chrysler. They were not able to provide any relief on the repairs which will be between $3500 and $4000 depending on parts cost. My vehicle was built September 18, 2003, and put in service on December 22, 2003. The service bulletin only covered vehicles from Feb 23, 2004 to Mar 31, 2004. I am sure my vehicle is in the same category as the covered vehicles, same rust problem, same areas of the car, etc.

- Angola, IN, USA

Aug 012012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Rusted engine cradle / subframe. Many near missed accidents. It's so bad I had to stop using the car. Forced to buy another vehicle because Chrysler customer care said they won't repair it. Ongoing for 2 years now.

- Walton, KY, USA

Aug 082014

Pacifica

Had work done on my car and was told that the front sub-frame is rusted and has a fracture in it found out that this make is notorious for this problem but company wont recall the item......I need help fast...

- Manville, NJ, USA

Aug 072014

Pacifica

I just recently purchased a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica as of this date I am filing this I got the vehicle home and put it up on ramps to take a look underneath at the exhaust and other parts only to find out the front sub frame is rusted out with a big crack and another hole in the frame. I did some research online to finding out that almost every Pacifica has the same problem, Chrysler should do something about this problem its obviously a major safety issue.

- Ashland, PA, USA

Jul 222014

Corroded front subframe.

- Fort Wayne , IN, USA

May 142014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have had this vehicle into the dealership at least once a year over the last 3 years for various reasons. The rusting of the cradle was never mentioned. I find it interesting that now it is over the 150K mileage limit that Chrysler alerts me that the cradle needs to be replaced to the tune of several thousand dollars. I have owned several cars in excess of 10+ years each and never had a cradle rust problem. I also have come to find out that this is a known issue among Pacifica owners. I am curious to know what Chrysler's intentions are to cure this situation given the severity and danger present if unresolved...not only for me as an individual but other Pacifica owners as well.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Apr 282014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The well-known issue with model years 2004-2005 involving premature failure due to rust on the engine cradle has been confirmed on my own 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. This vehicle in 12 years old with a faulty subframe and is too dangerous to be driven. There are two extensive areas of rust, one on either side of the engine cradle that extend from in front of, to the rear of the control arms. The rusted areas are already so bad, I am able to fit fingers through the holes in the engine cradle. It is cracked and completely compromised of any structural integrity. There is no reason why this part should not be coated in a correct manner to reject corrosion in such an aggressive form. This is a problem that Chrysler is aware of and yet they refuse to fix it. There is no integrity in that decision and very little respect to be had for a corporation that handles such a well-known situation in such a poor manner. This is an extremely dangerous problem and I feel very strongly that this should be replaced by Chrysler.

- Columbia, PA, USA

Apr 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While getting an oil change my mechanic pointed out that I have a five to six inch long by about 1 inch wide rust through gash in the engine cradle. He says this can be a serious problem where it is possible that the engine could fall through the frame while driving.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Apr 232014

Pacifica

I went to get a front end alignment on my vehicle and was informed that my vehicles sub frame is completely rusted through. I was told my vehicle is unsafe to drive and that my engine could fall out at any time. I called Chrysler and was told there are no recalls on my car specifically and that I would have to pay out of pocket for repairs. I have done some research regarding this problem and have found that this is a common problem with my make model and year vehicle. I called Chrysler back and was told there was still nothing they could do even though this is a known issue. Only 6 weeks worth of my make model and year vehicle were recalled and that mine did not fall into that category because it was built 4 months prior to the recall dates. This part should be recalled as this is a common problem and as my mechanic pointed out it is most definitely a defect in the sub frame. If the dealer does not wish to resolve this issue I will be contacting a lawyer.

- Dover, DE, USA

Feb 172014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Sub frame (K frame) rust. Brought car to dealer where purchased and maintained for regular scheduled service. We were advise by service person that the K-member had rust holes and was unsafe to drive. He had a quote of $7000 to replace with new sub frame. I found a service bulletin and brought it to the dealer, I was advised that my VIN was not part of the recall. This car was bought new and has had all service at this dealership.

- Timonium, MD, USA

Apr 052014

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rottted car is not safe to drive how does disabled wife get around she has chf heart failure.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Mar 282014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I am almost verbatim submitting an identical complaint that you received a day after I was shown the exact same problem, after taking my Chrysler Pacifica in for a routine oil change. This is exactly what I was told too on March 28, 2014. I was told I have a subframe/engine cradle that is severely cracked and corroded on the passenger side of the vehicle and showing wear on the driver side. I was not informed of this serious safety issue with my vehicle. I have submitted an email to Chrysler and am waiting their response but understand that customers are most often told there is nothing they can do to assist with the nearly $3000 cost of replacement, because the vehicle was not made in the narrow window of production that they claim was affected and subject to recall. And may I echo the entire last complaint that was submitted that I just read because it's exactly how I feel too. I have read that Chrysler also selectively decides who to help with the cost of repairs, regardless of their recall window and warranty, after the customer makes enough noise. If it is not their fault, why are they doing that" the nbc report also indicates that NHTSA sees no pattern with the numerous claims you have received outside of the supposed recall window, like this one, how many people have to be put at grave risk before you see a pattern" you might see a pattern if more people knew they are driving unsafe Pacificas, so that they could report it. Please reconsider your recall decision, as Chrysler's liability is certainly more than a couple months of production. "

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Mar 292014

Pacifica 6-cyl

On March 29, 2014, my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica, purchased in August 2003, was inspected and diagnosed, by the dealership where it was purchased, to have a subframe/engine cradle that is "rotting" or in other words, severely cracked and corroded. I was not informed of this serious safety issue with my vehicle by Chrysler. I was informed by a recent investigative story on the local Chicago nbc station, followed by internet research of the issue. I called the customer service number given to me for Chrysler and was told that there is nothing they can do to assist with the $2600 cost of replacement, because the vehicle was not made in the narrow window of production that they claim was affected and subject to recall. Chrysler told me the warranty they offered, related to the recall, was expired for my vehicle anyway. I never received any notification of the problem or that warranty, because they were keeping this problem a secret to most of their affected customers. I have read that Chrysler also apparently selectively decides who to help with the cost of repairs, regardless of their recall window and warranty, after the customer makes enough noise. If it is not their fault, why are they doing that" isn't this the same type of behavior that Toyota and Chevrolet have exhibited? the nbc report also indicates that NHTSA sees no pattern with the numerous claims you have received outside of the supposed recall window, like this one, how many people have to be put at grave risk before you see a pattern" you might see a pattern if more people knew they are driving unsafe Pacificas, so that they could report it. Sorry if I am being a bit pointed here, but the I don't understand how Chrysler and NHTSA can ignore this issue. Please reconsider your recall decision, as Chrysler's liability is certainly more than a couple months of production.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

Mar 032014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Discovered engine support has a rust through hole approx. 1 3/4 X 3/4. also showing other areas of rust damage. This auto is low mileage & garage kept. Have photos with tape measure if desired.

- St. Clair Shores , MI, USA

Feb 132014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My Chrysler Pacifica"S engine cradle has extensively corroded with rust and has become a danger to drive.this was a national problem reported on Chicago television nbc channel 5. Chrysler claims that they are investigating..I would appreciate if someone from your organization can look at this cradle and the danger my family has been put in. Chrysler also claims that my car was built prior to the problem metal on 2004/2005. Need for someone to inspect thank you

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 052004

Pacifica 6-cyl

Extensive rust formation on all suspension components and in particular the engine cradle. On the engine cradle, rust is most prominent on the weld seams and the lower portions where moisture probably is pooling on the inside and penetrating what must be unusually porous and/or untreated metal. I am the original owner and I noticed a rust color on the various suspension parts early in the ownership. I mentioned this coloration to the dealer and they explained it as a clay compound spray that is applied at the factory to protect undercarriage from corrosion during shipping. At the time, I accepted this explanation at face value but in hindsight it probably was premature rust. I can't find any information on the internet that suggests spraying clay is actually a real practice. Furthermore, the car was manufactured in Canada. Not much rust concerns between Canada and the us. Somewhat plausible if shipping overseas. Unless someone informs me otherwise on this clay spraying, I think I was duped. At first this rust was just an annoying cosmetic blemish but it has progressed to the point where I am concerned about safety.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA