Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jan 112014

The engine cradle cross member of my vehicle has rotted to the point that the car is unsafe to drive. There is a service note for a small window of Pacificas included on a warranty for the same problem, but only for the cars built within a certain date. Chrysler is aware of the problem, but will do nothing to correct it. The cradle incorporates the engine mounts, lower control arms, and steering. If it is not replaced, and breaks while driving, there will be a complete loss of control of the vehicle. I know that my vehicle is not the only one with such a serious issue.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle cross member of my vehicle is rotting to the point that I can no longer have the car safety inspected in pa. There is a service note for a small window of Pacificas included on a warranty for the same problem, but only for the cars built within a certain date. Chrysler is aware of the problem, but will do nothing to correct it. The cradle incorporates the engine mounts, lower control arms, and steering. If it is not replaced, and brakes while driving, there will be a complete loss of control of the vehicle. I know that my vehicle is not the only one with such a serious issue.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Apr 282013

Pacifica 6-cyl

On January 28, 2013 I had my vehicle checked for warranty repairs. At that time I was advised that the front and rear engine mounts were bad along with struts. Also at that time I was called back to the service area by mechanic. He proceeded to show me that the engine cradle was rusting out and showed me various places where it had in fact rusted through. I was told that this is a major safety concern. I was given a quote of $1612.05 to repair this. Due to limited finances I have only been able to have the warranty work repaired. At the time I believed this to be an isolated incident. I have researched several other problems with this vehicle and have realized that this is not an isolated incident. I contacted Chrysler about an extended warranty for this problem and was informed that the warranty only covered those built between February and March of 2004. My vehicle has a build date of January 22, 2004. I believe this should be looked into more closely at all those built in 2004.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Nov 192013

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine cradle rusted out unsafe to drive.

- Highland, MI, USA

Oct 252013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Control arm failure due to severe rust problem with the engine cradle.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Nov 022013

Pacifica 6-cyl

On Saturday 11/2/2013 I took my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica in for an oil change, I was asked by the manager to come down into the oil change bay to look at the passenger side frame of my vehicle. He showed me where the frame was rusted and rotten through, he said the top of the frame looked ok from what he could see; however, the frame could buckle at any time, a huge safety concern. I asked about the driver┐'s side, he showed it to me and said it was fine, solid and very minimal rust. Being concerned I began doing research and found out there are multiple instances listed and reported to NHTSA and Chrysler. I called a local dealership and they verified issues with the cradle rusting out and becoming unsafe and Chrysler did extend the warranty to 10 years 150K miles for certain build dates between March 04 and April 04, really! my vehicle build date was 10/03 and obviously should have been involved. I was told there was nothing they could do and it would cost me minimum 2500 dollars to repair. I also called Chrysler and they verified only certain vehicles were involved in this extended warranty program. This is very concerning as there are multiple instances posted out here and Chrysler will not take ownership of their issues. I only hope the NHTSA can help resolve these issues for the consumers who have purchased these vehicles and Chrysler now turns their back to all of us. Please help us before innocent people who may not even know about this may be hurt or worse..

- East Troy, WI, USA

Oct 172013

I took my wife's car in because there was some shaking in the suspension...the mechanic showed me the holes in the engine cradle and where the cradle was rusting through.

- Wilbraham, MA, USA

Oct 082013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Went to go get an alignment mechanic told me the frame is rusted that I need to get it fixed before engine falls out very bad news to hear and they want $2000 to fix I go online to research and there's thousands of complaints Chrysler has unsafe cars on the road and no recalls the mechanic told me to complain and they should cover it but they refuse to help now what am I suppose to do.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jul 132013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Our car suffered from a severely rusted front sub frame (engine cradle) that required replacement. We had the sub frame replaced, Chrysler refused to help or compensate in any way.

- Groveland, MA, USA

Aug 212013

Sub frame rusted out

- Ocean , NJ, USA

Oct 312012

Pacifica 6-cyl

October 31, 2012; the Chrysler dealer service department noted the owner that the engine subframe (engine cradle) had rusted through and advised the owner that this could cause a serious damage to the vehicle and possible injury or death due to loss of vehicle control. The vehicle was purchased new at this dealership, registered, serviced, and driven in the Chrysler designated "salt belt" state of Ohio for its entire service life (still in service, still in Ohio, still owned by the original owner). Apparently there was a Chrysler customer satisfaction campaign letter in Nov. 2010 that went out to vehicle owners in this area for this year-model vehicle, regarding this potential condition. However, this owner was not notified. When this letter was issued, the vehicle would have been inside the 10 year/150,000 mile service window and qualified under the extended Chrysler warranty. Fortunately, no catastrophic failure occurred before this condition was corrected. The Chrysler dealer made an offer to repair the vehicle for $798, which was accepted and the vehicle made roadworthy once again. Chrysler should reimburse the owner for the repair charges since no notification was ever received by the owner regarding the warranty extension, the risk if not repaired, or the procedures necessary to mitigate the defect.

- South Vienna, OH, USA

Jul 102013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Adding to previous complaint. I find there is an internal recall granted to only a few. I am over the mileage due to mechanic's failure to diagnose the problem. Took for a second opinion, was told that the car is unsafe and that the corrosion was obviously there for some time. Car is dangerous that engine can fall out at anytime. Did call Chrysler and they made no mention of recall letter or bulletins released on this problem. Basically said sol that there is no recall. There are how many Pacificas on the roads with drivers unaware that their vehicle is a death trap to themselves and others on the roads. There should be a recall issued immediately.

- Pelican Lake, WI, USA

Oct 152012

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was having Pacifica serviced at Goodyear store in newport, ky prior to driving to Florida. Mechanic called me to service area to see serious rust through on front frame rails and engine cradle. He said "do not drive the car to Florida. The engine could drop if frame breaks". I immediately went to wyler Chrysler and had the rusted frame replaced. I later found that Chrysler had extended their warranty to specifically cover this problem. I did file a claim with Chrysler and they did reimburse me 80% of the repair cost. I am now seeing, on chat site that there are many more owners having this same rust out problems with their Pacificas. A rusted frame breaking at highway speeds could be disastrous.

- Fort Thomas, KY, USA

Jun 252013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I bought this 2004 Pacifica from a dealer about a month ago. Took it to the shop to get my shocks looked at and they told me they wouldn't do any work on it because the sub frame was rotted so badly they advised me not to drive or put any money into the vehicle because it is a safety issue. Also there is clicking coming from the steering wheel when you turn left or right. And also a week after I purchased the vehicle the blower motor resister is bad.

- University Hts., OH, USA

Jun 192013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Dealer service department claimed that the subframe is rotting and needs replacement (@$1890 + tax). This problem has been reported by consumers numerous times. Chrysler will cover the costs for some cars -- those built in windsor, Ontario from 2/23/2004 through 3/31/2004, but my vehicle was built in windsor on 6/2/2003 and so is not covered.

- Fort Washington, PA, USA

Mar 082013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Driving around 40 the vehicle started to shake. I thought maybe a wheel bearing or tie rod was the issue. Upon taking it to the shop to get checked I was told that the engine cradle was rusted to the point of almost failing. I am currently having the cradle replaced. Had that occurred at a higher speed I hat to think what may have happened. I called Chrysler and was told there is a replacement program for vehicles built between Feb 23rd and mar31st 2004. Because my vehicle was built January 23rd 2004 it was not covered and I received no letter. Despite the fact I was driving a vehicle with the same problem in a very dangerous state. There should be a nationwide safety recall.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Feb 272013

Pacifica 6-cyl

My mechanic called to my attention that the sub-frame on my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica had rusted through and developed cracks adjacent to the rusted area. I was advised that the vehicle was unsafe and that the sub-frame required replacement. The local Chrysler dealer was unaware of any recall, but checking the internet I found this condition to have occurred to numerous other Pacificas. I contacted Chrysler customer service who informed me that an extended warranty had been issued for 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica produced during a specific time period and originally licensed in "snow states". the warranty covers sub-frame replacement up to 10 years and 150,000 miles. Unfortunately my vehicle was produced a few months prior to the warranty coverage period. It is quite unlikely that the sub-frame was produced satisfactorily and then it became substandard - especially since the earlier production on my vehicle has rusted through. It is shameful and irresponsible that a company with as much history and engineering capabilities has designed and manufactured a vehicle that becomes unsafe in less than 10 years or 100,000 miles. If they are not accepting liability to replace this inferior part they should at least have the decency to have contacted owners to make them aware that there is a 'potential for the sub-frame to have rusted to a condition that presents a safety hazard.'

- Glen Carbon, IL, USA

Jul 152012

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact noticed a rattling noise from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised the contact that the inner tie rod and sway bar links for the front suspension would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Oct 012012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Sub frame completely rusted apart, resulting in dangerous front end conditions and expensive repair. Found similar issues for other Pacifica owners through research and believe this is a defective part and should be covered and recalled before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Upton, MA, USA

Sep 102012

I took the car to my mechanic for front end noise. It was determined the front suspension frame was rusted and the car was unsafe to drive. Contacted Chrysler and was told to take to dealer. Took car to doan Dodge in greece NY. After several calls Chrysler has refused to repair. The cost of the repair is $1600 and it is a known problem. I am told they are quietly repairing some complaints. This car was over $34,000 new and should not be having this problem!!

- Brockport, NY, USA