Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Oct 012012

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my vehicle in to the shop to get new tires and the mechanic informed me that the frame was rusted in half. He told me that I would have to replace the frame or the vehicle would not be safe to drive.

- Thorpe, WV, USA

Oct 012012

I purchased this vehicle used with very low mileage. It is in great condition until I started hearing a noise in the front end. I took into the garage to have new tires and brakes put on it. When the mechanic put it on the rack, he said that the frame was rusted through. So, instead of new tires and brakes I now need a new frame. I am just thankful that I was not driving while this happen. I was wondering if this problem as affected other owners also.

- Thorpe, WV, USA

Sep 282012

Pacifica 6-cyl

My 2004 Chrysler Pacifica makes a loud popping noise when turning. It doesn't do it all of the time, but if you turn right, then turn left it will pop. If you're driving around a small turn and it pops the vehicle body will shift and you momentarily lose control of the vehicle.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Aug 282012

My mechanic has advised that my car has a rusted subframe, parts of which have rusted through. It is due for inspection by the end of the month, and I have been advised that it is rusted bad enough to fail inspection. I need this vehicle, and have taken great care of it. I changed the timing belt last year, and have kept it in a garage. I cannot afford to purchase another vehicle or replace the subframe. This is not normal rusting. My local Chrysler dealers, naturally, have told me that the car has too many miles and is no longer under warranty. I have done my research on this. Chrysler has been replacing subframes in some Pacificas, particularly Canada. There is a problem with this model; the metal was not properly coated or something. It is time for Chrysler to issue a recall and replace these subframes. When vehicles rust, it should not start in the subframe. I am a single mother; I need this car to drive to work and for family use. My kids and I are not safe in it, and if it can't pass inspection I will be without a vehicle!

- Beacon, NY, USA

Jul 092012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Took car to the shop for routine schedule maintenance. The mechanic said that the subframe was severely damaged by rust and recommended replacing it as soon as possible. He stated that is very dangerous driving a car in this condition. I googled " Pacifica subfame rust" and find out that this issue is huge. The mechanic said that this deterioration is not normal. There should be a recall campaign to make Chrysler aware of this problem.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

May 122012

Pacifica 6-cyl

In going to mechanic to get oil change. I was notified that subframe was rusted out and car is very dangerous to be driven. I have yet to contact dealership but on doing a search on line I found this to be a major issue with this car. I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Feb 082012

I took my care into the sear auto center in annapolis, md for a tune up and also asked them to check for the knocking noise under my hood as is was affecting my steering and making the car hard to steer when going around curves. I was told that the front end suspension needed to be replaced badly as the parts were severely rusted. I was also told that I would have to leave the car at the facility overnight as they were having problems removing the old parts due to heavy corrosion on the old parts and it would take more time to get the parts off and replace then with new parts. In December of 2011, I purchsed new tires and was also told that I needed to purchse new wheels because the current wheels on the vehicle were starting to rust. In September, I had my brake pads replaced and was also told that I needed new rotors because those were also rusting. I do not live in a flood zone, nor have I ever had my car in a flood. I was made aware of a recall by Chrysler yesterday of its 2004-2005 Jeep brand due to corrosion and wanted to submit this as there may also me Chrysler such as mine that have had corrosion issues from normal usage. A few years ago, I also had to have the rear differential serviced due to a leak and this may have also been due to corrosion.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Nov 302011

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica taken to mechanic after purchasing used with 69,500 miles for "clunking" noise in front-end. Replaced parts included: Sway bar linkages, tie rod ends, and struts and mounts all of which needed replacing. But the noise was still there. The mechanic then used a tool he called "chassis ears" to pinpoint the source of the noise. He found that the subframe (engine cradle) was rusted at the point that it mounts to the body, just under the front passenger-side floorboard. Upon further inspection rust was apparent on the drivers-side also. This is a major safety issue!!! the entire front-end of the vehicle including: Engine, transmission, and all front-end suspension and steering is held in place by this subframe (engine cradle). What happens when this totally fails while driving with six people in the vehicle" why has this not become a mandatory safety recall? does someone have to get killed before this gets someones attention" this is not an isolated incident as can be seen by this website. NHTSA please help!!!

- Banner Elk, NC, USA

Nov 042011

Pacifica 6-cyl

The front sub frame or engine cradle is rusted through and is no longer suitable for its intended purpose causing a safety inspection failure.

- Du Bois, PA, USA

Oct 192011

Pacifica 6-cyl

Front subframe ( engine cradle ) has approximately 3 inch rust hole on right side of main member near the top behind oil pan. Rust hole originated from the inside of the subframe. This vehicle is only 7 years old and this is a critical support component for the steering, suspension, and engine that is now structurally compromised. I believe this to be caused by a manufacturing defect of the subframe. No vehicle should rust out this soon. I have found many, many complaints about this issue on numerous websites. Have reported problem to local Chrysler dealership, miller bros. In martinsburg, wv, and also to Chrysler customer service. Was advised by dealer service manager that he had heard of the problem, but had not seen this issue himself and that my warranty was expired and they could not do anything. Chrysler response is pending, however was told also that warranty was expired and not to expect anything. They state there is no recall for this issue, however there are rumors of a "silent recall" for this issue and vehicles have been repaired in Canada for free on the web. This is a very dangerous situation and that I believe needs to be addressed by a gov.'t mandated safety recall like the Ford Windstar subframe rust issues. Please help. Estimated cost of repair is approximately $4500. I cannot afford to pay for this, nor should I have too, plus I cannot sell the vehicle in this condition.

- Charles Town, WV, USA

Oct 212011

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car in for annual inspection's uninspectable.....too dangerous to drive.....there are holes in the front sub frame, rear bushings are gone in rear sub frame and the rockers have holes in them.....the engine may well fall out.....! this car has only 113,000 miles on it.....has been regularly maintained and now, how am I supposed to get to work"? $ 2944 quoted for new parts and more than $1000 for labor to fix.....all of these other owner complaints about the exact same thing tell me Chrysler is ripping off it's understanding is the metal is so very thin - thin enough to barely support the engine even without any rust!! this is criminal on Chrysler's part......they know this is a problem and do nothing???" come on people of the NHTSA - make them do something.....this is clearly a defect.....a very unhappy consumer in Maine!! guaranteed no more Chrysler product in my future unless they fix this........!

- Edgecomb, ME, USA

Oct 102011

Pacifica 6-cyl

Had vehicle in for replacement of starter. Mechanic noticed the subframe was completely rotted and no longer performing its intended purpose. Chrysler general information yielded no results as there is no recall on that part. Local dealership indicated the replacement part was $3585 (new) but there was no warehouse where such part was stocked. No used alternatives are available. Car has 160K in miles, 2004. Still has life in it but now it's unsafe to drive.

- Burton , OH, USA

Sep 162011

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica with 117,250 miles experiencing severe rust and deterioration in the rear suspension subframe. The mounting point of the rear shocks to the subframe is almost completely rusted through. Two mechanics have told me that such rust should not be expected on such a young vehicle. Many here have mentioned the front engine cradle rusting through. I'm experiencing the same type of rust issue but in the back. My mechanic says the car is getting to the unsafe to drive area! help!!!

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Aug 292011

Pacifica 6-cyl

While driving less than 20mph heard loud clanking and hood of car was shaking. After pulling over lift hood and notice left motor mount had push threw hood this is the third time this problem has occurred since having vehicle. Purchased vehicle in 2008.

- New York, NY, USA

Jan 012010

Pacifica 6-cyl

I own a Chrysler Pacifica 2004 AWD. The vehicle has had numerous suspension problems, such as a clicking sound and an unstable vehicle. I believe it might be the front cradle of the vehicle but am not sure if this is the exact cause. Also, when I brake, the car makes a huge thud sound. I replaced the brakes and rotors as the dealer has done but the noise is still there. Please investigate this matter as many other Pacifica owners have encountered this. Thank you so much.

- New York City, NY, USA

Aug 142008

Motor mounts on 2004 Chrysler Pacifica defective after 61000 miles caused engine to shift and loosen transmission cable/wire disabling vehicle.

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

Jul 212009

We were told last week that the motor mounts on our 2004 Chrysler Pacifica were gone. Not broken.... gone. I had noticed some front end shaking when I hit the brakes at a high rate of speed. I also noticed that the engine was loud when I would hit the accelerator from a stop. Our mechanic discovered that the motor mounts were missing and causing the issues. Every time I hit the gas, the engine jumps up a couple of inches. My mechanic called around and was unable to get his hands on any motor mounts at this time. He was told that they are on backorder at this time. I have been doing some research and have found that this is a common problem with Pacificas. I have found a site,, has a forum open to list the issues with these cars. Over the last couple of years, many people have stated that this part is on back order and can't be found anywhere. One person also said that Chrysler is not making the part any more. I find this to be poor business on Chrysler's part. I try to buy american, but I have to be honest.... my confidence is failing here. I feel Chrysler should do the 'right thing' and make good to all the Pacifica owners who are having this same issue. At the very least, make the part!!!!!!

- Biddeford, ME, USA

May 272009

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica has a problem with the motor mounts. Consumer states the mounts have been on back order since Dec. 2008. The consumer stated a noise was heard when gong over bumps in the road. The anti-lock wheel sensor was bad, the tire light illuminated, the lower control arms and front sway bar were replaced. The motor mounts were leaking oil. The instrument cluster was not working and the egr valve was replaced.

- Delmar, NY, USA

Dec 282008

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact has been taking his vehicle to the dealer for an oil change and service ever since it was purchased. The dealer stated that the frame of his vehicle was rusted through and failed. The vehicle was unable to be driven and the contact must pay for the repair costs. The dealer never warned him of any failures. The manufacturer stated that they could not assist. The vehicle is still at the dealer awaiting repair. The failure mileage was 71,000. Updated 02/06/09 the vehicle pulled to the left. The dealer performed an alignment and replaced the tie rod ends. Updated 02/06/09.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

May 202008

Vehicle was making a clunking noise at acceleration, vehicle was also making noises that sounded like the shocks needed to be replaced. Dealership told me that the both lower control arms were broken and needed to be replaced along with the front and rear motor mounts. After this was done 2 days later vehicle check engine light came on dealership has told me that the emission pump and solenoid has failed - the emission pump was just replaced in November 2007. From reviewing the website it looks like chrylser needs to take responsibility for service. I have asked them for all of my parts that they are removing from my vehicle since I no longer trust the dealership and will be looking for an outside mechanic to service my car.

- Sylmar, CA, USA