CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Was informed by service center that the engine cradle was rusting thru. Svc center advised that this is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. Contacted dealer who looked into the issue and said it needs to be replaced due to rust damage. Dealer advised that Chrysler extended the warranty for 04 & 05 Pacifica's for 10 years or 150000 miles. Chrysler sent a letter to affected people on Nov 9, 2010. ( we are not part of the affected cars according to Chrysler) the dealer advised that our car was not part of the affected vehicles. Parts for replacement totaled out at $1329.55 plus tax and labor. Dealer said to contact chyrsler cust svc to see if there is any thing they can do. Contacted customer svc and they advised that the car does not fall in the affected cars and there is nothing they can do. Have sent a letter to Chrysler with no reply on this issue. So no we have a dependable care in very good condition that is not safe to drive and the manufacture is going to deny any replacement or repair.

- Esmond , IL, USA

Jan 202014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Found out in December 2013 getting tires, that engine cradle had serious rust and to watch it. Engine light came on in January 2014, and car needed transmission work. Mechanic took frame off and it rained rust particles from the horribly corroded engine cradle frame. Called Chrysler, wanting to speak with supervisor. I was told that a supervisor would call me within 24 hrs. Never happened. Called again a week later, and that operator found out my original message was never delivered to a supervisor. And now I"M waiting again for 24 hrs for someone to call me.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 252014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Excessive rusting of engine cradle. Possibility of front end of subframe falling out of the car.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Jan 132014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car into get the power steering fixed and the mechanic told me that the engine cradle was rotting out and I would have a couple months, at best, before it could become very dangerous and even deadly.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Pacifica

My vehicle's engine cradle and/or subframe is completely corroded and rusted. I have one very large crack in the engine cradle and another forming. The bolts and many other parts are rusted and rotted through. Chrysler is aware of this issue and has been for a long time but, since my car was made 6-8 weeks outside of their extended warranty period, they have refused to help me (while at the same time offering relief to others in my exact situation). During my initial discussion with their customer service, a supervisor told me not to call again and, despite not knowing the full extent of my particular problem, told me that Chrysler would "absolutely" never do anything to help me. Chrysler has also refused to explain to me what was done differently to my engine cradle and subframe compared to vehicles made on March 31, 2004, the day the extended warranty ran through. My wife and I have owned this vehicle since 2006. It's the only car my 4- and 5-year-old daughters have ever known and to learn now, years later, how dangerous the vehicle is in saltbelt states makes me terrified about any other problems with Chrysler vehicles that the company has chosen to keep secret. I am fortunate that we learned of the problem before the engine cradle failed altogether, which clearly could have led to serious injuries and/or death.

- Canton, MA, USA

Sep 232013

Pacifica 6-cyl

We bought our 05 Pacifica a couple months ago used we were aware of the engine cradle being lose we then found out it was corrode out on the right side of the motor and steering rack problem and was wondering if there is a recall on either of these items we see that alot of 05 have the same problem were can I take my car to get it fixed.

- Cadiz, OH, USA

Nov 202013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Front engine cradle on my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica has rusted to the point that the engine/transmission could fall out while driving. Chrysler says that have no plans to issue a recall for such a condition. I called Chrysler at 1-800-Chrysler and they said it was not covered. The vehicle is in perfect condition and has 109,000 miles on it.

- Shoreview, MN, USA

Nov 152013

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle is rusting and the engine will soon fall down to the ground if not replaced cost + $2,000 +.

- Sandwich, MA, USA

Sep 122013

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle shook with the illumination of the ABS light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.... updated 10-17-13 when braking the car started shaking. Steering was lost, and the ABS light illuminated. Upon inspection it was found the front engine cradle had rusted so to the point there were big holes. The only thing holding the engine cradle together was the motor mounts.

- Emmett, MI, USA

Jun 062013

Pacifica 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Pacifica 107000 miles rusted engine cradle. Garage kept and serviced only at a Chrysler dealership, service dept never told me the engine cradle was extremely rusted and cracked. After several calls and emails to Chrysler corporation they refused to work out any financial assistance on repair bills.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my Pacifica in to get the tires rotated and was told I had a cracked frame and they would not rotate them. I checked to see if I had a recall and I did not. Now I have a car that is worth less than what it would cost to fix it. Judging by all the complaints this is a serious problem and I am just thankful my family didn't get hurt because of it. I was told the subframe hold the engine so it is not safe to drive because of the crack.

- Three Rivers , MI, USA

Jul 312013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was told when I took my car in for an oil change that the subframe was rusted out & that this was a safety issue. I would need to get this fixed or the engine/transmission could fall out. My car has always been stored in a garage. There is no way a car of this caliber should have a problem like this. It isn't even something that our service guy has seen on very old cars. Was quoted @ $4200 for new one & around $1200 for used. My repair shop ordered 6 of them before they could find one that wasn't also rusted out. Of course they got more expensive as it went along. Very disappointed in Chrysler saying that it wasn't covered & they wouldn't stand by there product/defect.

- Reedsburg, WI, USA

Jun 172013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Subframe corrosion - rust.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Oct 012012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Subframe under engine is rotted out.

- Dekalb, IL, USA

Aug 012011

Pacifica

I bought this vehicle in 2011. When I brought to my mechanic for an oil change he told me my subframe (engine cradle) was severely rusted and corroded and that I probably wouldn't make it through the winter...the part cost around $1200. Alone without labor. I tried to save up the money but we just couldn't do it and within the past couple months my mechanic has informed me that my car is not safe to drive until it is fixed. He also advise to check for a recall and to call Chrysler and see what they say to do. They say there was a service bulletin for that matter of the defective part but only for the month of Feb 04-March 04 and mine was made in June 04 and that my car even though it has the same issue is exempt from the replacement part. So I am paying for a car that is not safe to drive because of a defective part that Chrysler refuses to help me with. It is not from normal wear and tear this car only had 62K miles on it when I had purchased it and my first oil change came at 65K miles when the problem was first noticed. After researching the internet I found multiple complaints of the exact same thing. I contacted the attorney general and they tried their best to help but because my car was 7 years old it was out of the warranty technically even though I still have only about 80K miles on it. I was told to make a complaint on here in hopes of possibly joining others to where there may end up having a recall on this part seeing my car is not safe to drive at all.

- Worcester, MA, USA

May 142013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Took car in for routine oil change. Chrysler dealer stated that the engine cradle is rusting out and needs to be replace very soon and is dangerous to drive. Chrysler had a recall for a select 2004 year cars for the same reason. Why has the recall not been extended to include a wider range of vins? I notice about 1/2 of the recent complaints are for the exact same problem.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

May 012013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Engine cradle has rusted through and made the car unsafe to operate for my teenage son. A very expensive replacement is required. Structural integrity should have a much longer lifetime. Chrysler was contacted and declined the opportunity to make things right.

- West Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 212013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I own a 3005 Chrysler Pacifica that has been taken regularly to the dealer for oil changes repairs and regular maintenance. Today my husband noticed some rusting of the frame that the engine sits in so I went to dealer and had them look at it and they agreed and were surprised that this was happening and it shouldn't. I was told it should be fixed is very unsafe and the cost is very expensive. I called Chrysler and they simply said sorry not a recalled vehicle and there is nothing they can do. They told me to fix it and save the receipt in case there is a future recall. I am very upset by this response. I am concerned about driving my kids as well as myself any where in a car that is unsafe and apparently our safety is not a concern for Chrysler. I will make sure no one I know buys a car from this company especially after finding out that so many other Pacificas have this same problem. It should have been recalled.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Mar 192013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Just had a state inspection and oil change done on my 2005 Pacifica. The technician put my car on a lift and pointed out multiple areas where the engine cradle frame is rusting out. He had never seen anything like this on a vehicle of this age. As it turns out, while investigating this issue on the nhtsb and other web sites, this is a common problem with the Chrysler Pacifica. And is apparently of little concern to Chrysler. They have offered some people help and others have been told "too bad", based on some arbitrary manufacture date range. This is even though the defect is the same no matter the manufacture date. This total disregard for the safety of their consumers is unbelievable and should not be tolerated. While my car has passed this inspection, without correction, it will never pass again. This was not a low cost vehicle and if Chrysler was aware of this safety issue why was I not contacted. Are they waiting for some kind of serious accident with injuries or death to respond properly? I contacted Chrysler on this issue and was told they would not help me. "thank you for contacting the Chrysler customer assistance center. Thank you for your recent contact regarding your vehicle. We fully appreciate your concern, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved, however, we are unable to accommodate your request for out-of-warranty consideration. The vehicle has exceeded the time and/or mileage limitations of the warranty (or warranties) we offered on the vehicle at the time it was purchased. Although we are unable to provide a more favorable reply, we appreciate the opportunity to review your request. Thank you again for taking the time to communicate with us. We're sorry we cannot provide a more favorable reply thanks again for your email."

- Providence, RI, USA

Sep 172012

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while having a state inspection performed on the vehicle she was notified that the engine cradle was corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who verified the failure and stated that it needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 76,000...updated 05/10/13 updated 05/31/2013

- Jamison, PA, USA