Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Jun 032016

I bought a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in may of 2016. When I took it to a garage due to a clunking sound in the front end it was discovered that the engine cradle was rusted through on both sides. Many areas under the car are very badly rusted like a car three times as old.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jun 022016

Took the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in for an oil change. The technician brought this to our attention and would not perform the oil change because he did not feel safe. Now I have to find some way to come up with $3000 ‐ 5000 to repair. I still owe $7000 on it. My wife and 2 children ride in this on a daily basis and now the engine could just drop out of it.

- Wellsville, OH, USA

May 312016

Subframe near engine mount is rusted through.

- Highland, MI, USA

May 222016

While having my brakes done, the mechanic informs me that the engine cradle/cross brace is nearly rusted through and that the engine may fall out at any moment. There is only a single bolt holding the engine in. I don't yet have pictures to upload. No recall warning was ever received and I have owned this car for 8 years.

- Wheelersburg, OH, USA

Apr 062016

I am the original owner of this 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. I recently took it in for appraisal as a trade-in towards a newer vehicle. The dealership informed me that the car was unsafe due to sever cradle engine rot. They also told me that there was a class action suit against Chrysler for this very issue on this very vehicle. The car is unsafe to sell in spite of it being in great operating condition and the rest of the exterior being in good condition. Chrysler never notified me of this known defect. Now I am stuck with a car that I cannot sell because it has been deemed unsafe. I do not feel that I should be responsible for repairing this rot (if it even can be repaired), as it now appears (from what I have read online) that Chrysler was very well aware of this defect and chose to deceive their customers rather than make it right for them. What do I do now?

- Methuen, MA, USA

Oct 142015

Typical rust through of engine cradle sub frame (K frame) of a Pacifica SUV almost causing the engine to drop through to the ground. Discovered the rust through, and subsequent engine shift, in mid October 2015 @ approximately 144,000 miles, while car was up on a lift. Car was no longer drivable due to this condition. Had a local Chrysler dealership's repair shop to replace the cradle frame and motor mounts shortly thereafter. They disavowed any help or their involvement in getting Chrysler to cover the repair of a known defect. Called Chrysler's customer service and was told my Pacifica was not part of the extended warranty issued for a small number of and short production run of Pacificas. Am attempting to again contact Chrysler customer service via letter and ask for help with the cost of repairs. Also trying to join the class action group that is suing Chrysler over this issue. Law firm in columbus, oh is lead counsel on the case. I love this car for all its attributes and that is was developed, built and sold while Mercedes Benz owned Chrysler, giving it a much higher quality in my opinion. Present day Fiat Chrysler doesn't seem to want to help out on this issue.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Apr 102016

Rusted engine cradle with fractured frame mounting discovered when searching for a drip source under the vehicle. This is a known manufacturing defect, yet the corporation did not warn me of this problem, despite a recall for other Pacificas made within a very narrow manufacturing window of time. This is unacceptable and now provides a risk to driving. What am I to do?

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Oct 172015

Took my 2005 Pacifica to my local mechanic for an oil change. Was told that the lower sub-frame on the front passenger side was rusted and corroded. He said it could have been due to condensation from the A/C or road salt. Will soon be replacing the vehicle since it's no longer under warranty. Very shameful that I see a lot of complaints about rust damage on the lower frame and still no recall.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Apr 192016

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the subframe was rotten and would not pass inspection. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 76,836.

- Seifert, NY, USA

Apr 072015

Engine frame rusted out.

- Twin Lake, MI, USA

Mar 212016

Driving to work and I notice that the small snow build up in the center of the road was hitting my under carriage so I go to my mechanic on the way home and he looks under the car. I didn't realize when I had him take a look it would be the last time I could drive that car unless I wanted to pay thousands of dollars to fix the rotted subframe that holds my engine in. Chrysler knows this is a problem but refuses to fix it. My mechanic says this should never happen with a car, which makes sense that you need your engine and transmission not to fall out! is there a number of injuries and fatalities that have to happen before the makers will recall a car for a problem they know is happening?

- Rockland, MA, USA

Mar 212016

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at high speeds, the front end of the vehicle shook violently. When the vehicle was taken in for routine maintenance, the technician stated that the engine cradle was severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 204,446.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Feb 292016

Purchased 2005 Chrysler Pacifica limited 4 years ago. Currently 109,000 miles.. had been hearing a clunky noise for a short time took it in to get checked😔 mechanic came back with ghastly news. Tie rods, bushings, water pump, rear axle shaft oilseal and worst of all cradle was rusting through. Over $7000 to fix all. I thought I would faint. No way could I do all the repairs. Upon reading all complaints Chrysler should fix the rustimg problem. Shame on them for letting these cars on the road knowing this could happen to families purchasing their vehicles and possibly having a fatal accidemt occuring when the engine falls out.

- Rockford, MN, USA

Feb 132016

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle shook violently and independently veered to the left and right without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the subframe was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,733.

- Bluefield, WV, USA

Feb 192016

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While parked, the contact smelled fuel coming from the vehicle. The contact also stated that there was an odd smell coming from the vehicle that was not fuel related. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame was rusted out and needed to be replaced. The power steering was leaking and the contact was informed that the fuel pump may need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 200,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 262016

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the subframe on the vehicle was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the subframe failed and needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 154,000.

- Kaukauna, WI, USA

Feb 232016

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the a frame rusted and rotted out on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Feb 012016

The engine cradle has rotted out, which is a huge safety issue, the car has no signs of rust anywhere else, this is a factory defect with the undercoating. Called Chrysler and was told they do not care, nothing they will do. Looked on line and there are thousands of complaints, something needs to be done. This is a safety issue that will cause accident if not deaths.

- East Durham, NY, USA

Jan 252016

My 2005 Pacifica is in for an inspection, and I get a call from my mechanic. The problem is, as the many compliant here that the sub frame / engine cradle is corroded, and my car is unsafe to drive. The cost is $ 2600. Properly more than the car is worth? I read that Chrysler first acknowledge that there is a problem with 2004 and 2005 models, but later only recall vehicle in a 6 weeks timeframe, January - March 2004 because of not properly coating the engine cradle. Looks like the timeframe should be more like two years.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Dec 312015

I took my vehicle in for inspection and it failed due to the engine cradle being rusted out, the cost of repair is $2500-$4000. I googled "engine cradle rusted out" and the articles that were listed first all pertain to Chrysler Pacifica 2005. I proceeded to call Chrysler about my problem and was told they are not extending warranties to cover the problem but that they would "document" my call. I was also told that if I made any repairs to my vehicle pertaining to this problem that I should keep my receipts. I am a single mother trying to raise 3 teenagers and do not have this kind of money to put into repairing a vehicle that isn't even worth the cost to repair it. Furthermore, Chrysler knows about this problem and has not issued a recall to all Pacifica owners to fix it. They are allowing their customers to drive a vehicle that is extremely unsafe. I am very upset because I have allowed my teenage son to drive my car not knowing that it is literally a ticking time bomb, the engine could have fallen out at any time. Now I am stuck with a car I cannot drive because I can't get inspected and it is a hazard to me and other cars on the road to drive. I have read many complaints on this site alone pertaining to this same problem, so I am not the only one and it is not just a handful of cars affected. It is time for Chrysler to stand up and accept the blame for this and make it right for me and hundreds of others

- Hollidaysburg, PA, USA