CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Jul 152016

Pacifica

Received notice on our annual inspection from garage that underbody all rusting out, specifically left front frame rail. Chrysler only doing a "silent recall" for this vehicle if built between February - March 2005. Ours built October. Not eligible. We have never been informed of this rust/corrosion problem by Chrysler.

- Bangor, PA, USA

Jun 282016

Pacifica

I bought this car in 2011 all I have had with this car is problems after problems. First I was driving and the car stopped running it was something electrical then now my sub frame is no good it is rotted out rust all over the sub frame and I have two little girls in my car all the time and to top it off I'm still paying on this car to the bank what do I do not. I need someones help this is to much money for one person to pay when this was not my doing it was the car makers doing.

- Willimantic, CT, USA

Jun 292016

Rusted engine cradle

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Jun 232016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was undergoing an oil change, the mechanic noticed that the engine cradle was corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact to call NHTSA. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Mar 122016

Pacifica

Have had a mechanic tell me after vehicle inspection that engine cradle on passenger side was almost completely rusted out. He feels the car is very unsafe to drive. Contacted fca was told no recalls or assistance would be provided. Didn't we the taxpayers bail this company out for no help.

- Brandon, SD, USA

Jan 012016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was undergoing an oil change at a local service center, the technician noticed that the subframe and the engine cradle were corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Cotely, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while at a local dealer for service, the technician made the contact aware that the subframe had corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- St Gary, IN, USA

Apr 012015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While operating the vehicle, a knocking noise was present and the motor seemed to shift when coming to a stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who discovered that the engine cradle was rusted and corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- East Point, MI, USA

Feb 082015

Pacifica

I recently had some work done on my Chrysler Pacifica and my mechanic found that I had two large rotted out holes in my engine cradle. I called Chrysler and the gentleman in customer service stated over and over again that my auto was ten years old. I went to go use the warranty that I purchased at cars 4 you, llc and found out that the dealer never submitted the application for the warranty but pocketed the money from the finance company. Honor finance knew what the dealer had done to few people but did not feel the need to warn everyone who bought an auto from the same dealer. Here I am with a Pacifica that I owe $6,000 no warranty and two large holes in my engine cradle. Never ever will I buy a Chrysler product. Their motto is customer satisfaction is priority one but this must be for the first ten years only.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jun 032016

Pacifica

I bought a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in may of 2016. When I took it to a garage due to a clunking sound in the front end it was discovered that the engine cradle was rusted through on both sides. Many areas under the car are very badly rusted like a car three times as old.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jun 022016

Pacifica

Took the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in for an oil change. The technician brought this to our attention and would not perform the oil change because he did not feel safe. Now I have to find some way to come up with $3000 ‐ 5000 to repair. I still owe $7000 on it. My wife and 2 children ride in this on a daily basis and now the engine could just drop out of it.

- Wellsville, OH, USA

May 312016

Pacifica

Subframe near engine mount is rusted through.

- Highland, MI, USA

May 222016

Pacifica

While having my brakes done, the mechanic informs me that the engine cradle/cross brace is nearly rusted through and that the engine may fall out at any moment. There is only a single bolt holding the engine in. I don't yet have pictures to upload. No recall warning was ever received and I have owned this car for 8 years.

- Wheelersburg, OH, USA

Apr 062016

Pacifica

I am the original owner of this 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. I recently took it in for appraisal as a trade-in towards a newer vehicle. The dealership informed me that the car was unsafe due to sever cradle engine rot. They also told me that there was a class action suit against Chrysler for this very issue on this very vehicle. The car is unsafe to sell in spite of it being in great operating condition and the rest of the exterior being in good condition. Chrysler never notified me of this known defect. Now I am stuck with a car that I cannot sell because it has been deemed unsafe. I do not feel that I should be responsible for repairing this rot (if it even can be repaired), as it now appears (from what I have read online) that Chrysler was very well aware of this defect and chose to deceive their customers rather than make it right for them. What do I do now?

- Methuen, MA, USA

Oct 142015

Pacifica

Typical rust through of engine cradle sub frame (K frame) of a Pacifica SUV almost causing the engine to drop through to the ground. Discovered the rust through, and subsequent engine shift, in mid October 2015 @ approximately 144,000 miles, while car was up on a lift. Car was no longer drivable due to this condition. Had a local Chrysler dealership's repair shop to replace the cradle frame and motor mounts shortly thereafter. They disavowed any help or their involvement in getting Chrysler to cover the repair of a known defect. Called Chrysler's customer service and was told my Pacifica was not part of the extended warranty issued for a small number of and short production run of Pacificas. Am attempting to again contact Chrysler customer service via letter and ask for help with the cost of repairs. Also trying to join the class action group that is suing Chrysler over this issue. Law firm in columbus, oh is lead counsel on the case. I love this car for all its attributes and that is was developed, built and sold while Mercedes Benz owned Chrysler, giving it a much higher quality in my opinion. Present day Fiat Chrysler doesn't seem to want to help out on this issue.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Apr 102016

Pacifica

Rusted engine cradle with fractured frame mounting discovered when searching for a drip source under the vehicle. This is a known manufacturing defect, yet the corporation did not warn me of this problem, despite a recall for other Pacificas made within a very narrow manufacturing window of time. This is unacceptable and now provides a risk to driving. What am I to do?

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Oct 172015

Pacifica

Took my 2005 Pacifica to my local mechanic for an oil change. Was told that the lower sub-frame on the front passenger side was rusted and corroded. He said it could have been due to condensation from the A/C or road salt. Will soon be replacing the vehicle since it's no longer under warranty. Very shameful that I see a lot of complaints about rust damage on the lower frame and still no recall.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Apr 192016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the subframe was rotten and would not pass inspection. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 76,836.

- Seifert, NY, USA

Apr 072015

Engine frame rusted out.

- Twin Lake, MI, USA

Mar 212016

Pacifica

Driving to work and I notice that the small snow build up in the center of the road was hitting my under carriage so I go to my mechanic on the way home and he looks under the car. I didn't realize when I had him take a look it would be the last time I could drive that car unless I wanted to pay thousands of dollars to fix the rotted subframe that holds my engine in. Chrysler knows this is a problem but refuses to fix it. My mechanic says this should never happen with a car, which makes sense that you need your engine and transmission not to fall out! is there a number of injuries and fatalities that have to happen before the makers will recall a car for a problem they know is happening?

- Rockland, MA, USA