CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Mar 212016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at high speeds, the front end of the vehicle shook violently. When the vehicle was taken in for routine maintenance, the technician stated that the engine cradle was severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 204,446.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Feb 292016

Pacifica

Purchased 2005 Chrysler Pacifica limited 4 years ago. Currently 109,000 miles.. had been hearing a clunky noise for a short time took it in to get checked😔 mechanic came back with ghastly news. Tie rods, bushings, water pump, rear axle shaft oilseal and worst of all cradle was rusting through. Over $7000 to fix all. I thought I would faint. No way could I do all the repairs. Upon reading all complaints Chrysler should fix the rustimg problem. Shame on them for letting these cars on the road knowing this could happen to families purchasing their vehicles and possibly having a fatal accidemt occuring when the engine falls out.

- Rockford, MN, USA

Feb 132016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle shook violently and independently veered to the left and right without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the subframe was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,733.

- Bluefield, WV, USA

Feb 192016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While parked, the contact smelled fuel coming from the vehicle. The contact also stated that there was an odd smell coming from the vehicle that was not fuel related. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame was rusted out and needed to be replaced. The power steering was leaking and the contact was informed that the fuel pump may need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 200,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 262016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the subframe on the vehicle was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the subframe failed and needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 154,000.

- Kaukauna, WI, USA

Feb 232016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the a frame rusted and rotted out on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Feb 012016

Pacifica

The engine cradle has rotted out, which is a huge safety issue, the car has no signs of rust anywhere else, this is a factory defect with the undercoating. Called Chrysler and was told they do not care, nothing they will do. Looked on line and there are thousands of complaints, something needs to be done. This is a safety issue that will cause accident if not deaths.

- East Durham, NY, USA

Jan 252016

Pacifica

My 2005 Pacifica is in for an inspection, and I get a call from my mechanic. The problem is, as the many compliant here that the sub frame / engine cradle is corroded, and my car is unsafe to drive. The cost is $ 2600. Properly more than the car is worth? I read that Chrysler first acknowledge that there is a problem with 2004 and 2005 models, but later only recall vehicle in a 6 weeks timeframe, January - March 2004 because of not properly coating the engine cradle. Looks like the timeframe should be more like two years.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Dec 312015

Pacifica

I took my vehicle in for inspection and it failed due to the engine cradle being rusted out, the cost of repair is $2500-$4000. I googled "engine cradle rusted out" and the articles that were listed first all pertain to Chrysler Pacifica 2005. I proceeded to call Chrysler about my problem and was told they are not extending warranties to cover the problem but that they would "document" my call. I was also told that if I made any repairs to my vehicle pertaining to this problem that I should keep my receipts. I am a single mother trying to raise 3 teenagers and do not have this kind of money to put into repairing a vehicle that isn't even worth the cost to repair it. Furthermore, Chrysler knows about this problem and has not issued a recall to all Pacifica owners to fix it. They are allowing their customers to drive a vehicle that is extremely unsafe. I am very upset because I have allowed my teenage son to drive my car not knowing that it is literally a ticking time bomb, the engine could have fallen out at any time. Now I am stuck with a car I cannot drive because I can't get inspected and it is a hazard to me and other cars on the road to drive. I have read many complaints on this site alone pertaining to this same problem, so I am not the only one and it is not just a handful of cars affected. It is time for Chrysler to stand up and accept the blame for this and make it right for me and hundreds of others

- Hollidaysburg, PA, USA

May 282015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that when the vehicle was taken for a regular inspection, the technician noticed the undercarriage of the vehicle was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic informed the contact that the vehicle was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 118,000. Updated 10/18/16

- Worcester, VT, USA

Sep 012015

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rusted out. Completely failed. Engine is near to falling out.

- Byron Center, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Pacifica

Rust through of engine cradle at various spots on engine cradle. I'm the original owner. The car had 92,080 miles. Contacted Chrysler/fca via email. Chrysler/fca says my Pacifica does not fit the narrowly defined manufacture date of 02/28/2004 to 03/31/2004, even though Chrysler form letter csc-10045080-7364 makes no mention of the narrowly defined manufacture date!. my Pacifica was purchased on 1/26/2005 and therefore does not qualify for extended warranty coverage per Chrysler customer assistance. My local fca dealer gave me an estimate of about $ 2600 to replace. This problem was noticed during a routine oil change recently. I reported this issue to Chrysler back on October 2014 email case #3052329, reference number 25794408, and they state not covered, that my car was apparently built on August 2, 2004 per Chrysler email response? Chrysler letter csc-10045080-7365 regarding the front engine cradle problem does not stipulate a specific 6 week period. Unable to get any assistance from Chrysler/fca I continued to drive this unsafe car. Brought to mechanic for oil change, tire rotation, and general maintenance and was informed again that the engine cradle is rusting through and now the motor mounts. Car now has only 95,544 miles. Contacted them prior to expiration of warranty and pushed off and off.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Nov 022015

Pacifica

Took my car in for brakes and mechanic sent me pictures of car frame rusted through I had to have the whole frame replaced because it was unsafe to drive. I don't have a printer so I can't print out pictures to send you

- Saint Clair, MI, USA

Nov 202015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle vibrated violently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was not abe to inspect the vehicle; however, the technician stated that the cradle was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Milford, MA, USA

Nov 132015

Pacifica

I took my vehicle in for a routine oil change and I was informed that my subframe is completely rusted and the engine is on the verge of falling out the vehicle. Mechanic stated that this is a very common issue with this particular vehicle. The mechanic told me that the vehicle is no longer safe to drive and the cost of this repair will be upwards of $3000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 282015

Pacifica

I went to get the 2005 chrystler Pacifica inspected and was told by the mechanic that the bottom was rusted so badly that the engine would fall out, and further that the year make and model was under recall for the same problem, the bottom rusting out horribly. I called chrystler with the VIN # and was told this 1 wasn't part of the recall even though it was the same year and make of the recall. I owe 4,400$ on the car and now am told the repairs would exceed 5,000$. I financed it for 6,455$ at the start. I'm disabled and greatly in need of help, I don't know what to do I have made a slew of calls to no avail at this point and continue to make payments as I don't want to ruin my credit, please help me, I don't know what to do.

- Worcester, VT, USA

Nov 092015

Pacifica

I'm one of the victim of the engine cradle rot, that occurs in the 2004 and 2005 Pacifica. I found out about it when I jacked up the car to get under it, it was hidden. The failure of the cradle was 100%. it failed on the passenger's side of cradle and was rusted from front to back

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 202015

Pacifica

My 2005 Chrysler Pacifica is completely rotted out underneath. When my mechanic saw the carriage of my car he warned me that I was driving a death trap. He said it is completely unsafe and I should not be driving it any longer.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Oct 182015

Pacifica

The complete undercarriage is rusted out & falling off

- Mason, OH, USA

Mar 102015

Pacifica

Rust corrosion of the engine cradle.

- West Branch, MI, USA