CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Jun 152015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while the vehicle at an independent mechanic for an inspection, the mechanic diagnosed that the engine sub frame had corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,589.

- Victor, NY, USA

May 242015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 5 mph and making a left turn, a clicking sound emitted from the steering column without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions whenever the contact made a left or right turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the engine cradle had excessive rust and was fractured. As a result, the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Apr 172015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I only purchased my vehicle 1 year ago. The first month I had it, I tried to have it inspected and was told my sub-frame was rotted. I contacted the Chrysler company and there were no recalls. I contacted the dealer and they wouldn't help me. My check engine light is on because the O2 sensors are bad and now my power steering is leaking and I was told the steering rack is bad. I've also had to replace my inner and outer tie rods on both sides and also replaced the sway bar links. I am a single mom with 3 kids and this car has been a huge burden on me financially. I made a huge mistake buying a Chrysler.

- Providence, RI, USA

Mar 312015

Pacifica 6-cyl

Vehicle engine cradle sub-frame is rotting through and nearly separating one portion from another. This will at some point in time fail in a catastrophic manner. This defect seems to be well documented on numerous web sites and Fiat Chrysler group is aware of this problem and makes like the problem is with only a very limited number of vehicles which is clearly not the case. They have an extended warranty of note for this very problem, but is limiting it to a very few cars manufactured between a very limited timeframe from late 2004 to early 2005, all others are excluded in spite of the fact that numerous Pacifica's are noted as having this problem.this repair is an approx. $3000 repair that Chrysler is ignoring the safety of the owners and families of these cars and those driving around them.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 242015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car into to have a motor mount replaced when my mechanic called me and told my that the frame or engine cradle was rusted out. He took some pictures and there are holes in the cradle. He advised me not to put anymore money into this car. I researched this online and found many complaints about this problem. I called Chrysler and they said they could not help me. I'm ready to file a complaint with state attorneys office as I think this is criminal that Chrysler will not recall this car and fix this common problem!

- Providence, RI, USA

Mar 262015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being inspected, it was discovered that the engine cradle was severely corroded and fractured due to the corrosion. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 174,717.

- Rochester , NY, USA

Dec 012014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel vibrated and was loose. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the front sub frame was rusted. As a result, the struts and the sway bar links were replaced but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable.

- Shinnston, WV, USA

Mar 062015

Pacifica

My vehicles entire subframe, also known as an engine cradle, was riddled with corrosion and rust.this is a hazard because I am driving on a frame that is not strong, the car is not to old to present such us decays.

- Bpt, CT, USA

Feb 192015

Pacifica

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring and I took it to the dealer to find out the engine cradle is rotted. I did some investigating and this is a know safety issue with the 2004 and 2005 Chrysler Pacifica's. Chrysler refuses to help in this issue. They really aren't standing behind the product.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jan 282015

Pacifica 6-cyl

On routine inspection, discovered subframe / carriage nearly rusted through. Told it was unsafe to drive. While a small group of owners received notice of this design defect in 2010, we were never notified and a call to Chrysler confirmed that despite selective recall, this car not eligible for compensation or remediation.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Jan 162015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle's frame was rusted, which weakened the motor mount. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Northfield, OH, USA

Jan 232015

Pacifica 6-cyl

My 10 year old Chrysler Pacifica has rot in the subframe. My mechanic informed me during a routine check.

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Jan 022015

Pacifica 6-cyl

While changing oil I observed that the frame had corroded and there were rust holes in the frame. I contacted Chrysler group customer care and was told there is no recall for this on my vehicle.

- Bohemia, NY, USA

Jul 072014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Brought my vehicle in to my trusted local repair shop for a review and tune up and request to review rotors due to vehicle shake. When on the lift, it was discovered that the entire engine cradle was rusted to a point where it was barely attached to the vehicle. Initial technical service bulletins published (12-001-10 in Oct 2010) state that this condition could affect all 2004 - 05 Pacificas. It was later superceded by the current bulletin 13-001-12 dated March 16, 2012 which limits affected population to an ~6 week range of vins, which my car does not fall under and I have been told that I am out of warranty. Comparing photos to other complaints as well as the story on nbcchicago.com (see reference story below), my vehicle condition and the material defect is undeniably the same as what Chrysler is currently considering as the "affected population" and is at a point where my vehicle has been considered unsafe to drive. This condition is extremely unsafe and I have been met with 4 months worth of arguments and side stepping from Chrysler customer care at this time regarding acknowledgement of the material defect, the safety implications to myself, my family and other drivers of this model, and especially the $2,600 quote to replace the cradle and hardware at a Chrysler dealership, which effectively scraps my vehicle. I am aghast that all of the complaints filed for this condition on this site and elsewhere have not resulted in a more through review of this clear trend from the NHTSA. References: www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/minivan-owners-want-Chrysler-to-concede-rust-problems-241535881.html.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Dec 302014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Friend of mine had an issue with Pacifica where motor just fell off while she was driving. I took my car to the shop and found something I did not had idea what was happening with my car, undercarriage corrosion too. The bottom is just paper thin, everything is rotten. I have 115,000 miles on my car, 2005 Pacifica. I cannot believe that car looks fine from outside but engine cradle was rusting out to the point you could almost put hand in the hole. It rusted to the point that the engine could fall out. I cannot believe there was no recalls on this car. They will start dealing with issues when drivers start killing themselves on the highway because they lost an engine at 70mph.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 242014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the sub frame rusted prematurely to the point of corrosion. The contact mentioned that the sub frame might fracture. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the sub frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 141,000.

- Edgerton, WI, USA

Oct 132014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The entire undercarriage in rotten, including but not limited to the motor mount and lift points are completely rotted away. I was told it is very dangerous and should not be driving this vehicle but I still owe 7K.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Nov 142014

Pacifica

Subframe (engine cradle?) is rusting. My mechanic pointed this out when I was having my oil changed. It is not visible unless you crawl under the car or lift it up in a shop. I contacted Chrysler and they told me that the car is out of warranty and that they will not cover the cost of replacement. Researching this issue on the web, I see that this is a common problem for this model and that in some instances Chrysler has covered the costs of having this fixed.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Dec 092014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my vehicle in for routine nys inspection and was told it wouldn't pass due to the bad subframe. The mechanic showed me the problem and I couldn't believe that the vehicle that I bought thinking it was a safe dependable vehicle was rotting out from underneath me! I've always performed required routine maintenance on it as I am a single working mother and need a safe reliable vehicle. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because I can't afford to pay the $3,000 to fix it, to buy a new vehicle or to be without a car! I still owe on it and I can't drive it! is there anything you can do to make Chrysler make this right?

- Oswego, NY, USA

Nov 022014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While an authorized mechanic was performing a state inspection on the vehicle, it was discovered that the engine cradle and front subframe were corroded with holes. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Woburn , MA, USA