Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 272015

Pacifica 6-cyl

In 'żż14, it was noticed that the subframe was rusted. I did not inspect it any further because I trusted that it was a normal amount of rust. However, on 4/27/15, the car began to have issues. Upon acceleration from a stop or slow-roll, there is a vibration that can be felt throughout the floorboards & the gas pedal. When the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear & the RPM's drop, the car makes a "thud" or "clunk" sound from the engine area of the car. This "thud" can be felt in the cabin of the car. The vibrations & the noise has grown worse over the course of 3 days. I had the car inspected during an oil change at a Chrysler dealership on 4/30/15, & I was advised that, due to the amount of rust to the subframe & engine cradle, the car's structural integrity has been breached. The mechanic took a picture & had the service manager bring it to me in the waiting room & advise me that if I hit a large enough bump, the subframe may break apart & the engine may drop out of the car. I contacted Chrysler & they offer no remedy. Upon research of the issue, I have found that this is a common problem among 'żż04 & 'żż05 Chrysler Pacificas & that the manufacturer had issued a recall on the car for this problem in 'żż10, but rescinded the recall & created a tsb it, yet upheld the recall for Pacificas that were manufactured between 2/23/04 & 3/31/04. Due to the initial recall, tsb, & the partial recall from the Chrysler Pacificas manufactured in '04, Chrysler has admitted fault in not properly coating the subframe materials to prevent rust from occurring. Chrysler is not willing to take corrective action for their dangerous & faulty craftsmanship of their cars. This is negligence & a dangerous practice-for the lives of the drivers, passengers, & others on the roads, as well as within the realms of business ethics. This widespread situation needs to be addressed & remedied immediately.

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

Apr 202015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car to a shop for repairs, and the mechanic was alarmed to find that the frame is so rusted under the engine that he deemed it unsafe to drive. My car has 185,000 miles on it, and is in otherwise good condition. It is not safe to drive as the engine could fall to the ground, potentially causing an accident. I was advised to get rid of the vehicle, but obviously I cannot sell it. I was never notified of this potential problem, although I have become aware that Chrysler knew the problem existed.

- Walker, IA, USA

Feb 012015

Pacifica 6-cyl

Told my car unsafe to drive....subframe rotted out! Chrysler admitted it was their fault but will not help me unless I sign a waiver of agreeing to pay for any repairs that they cause while fixing this major issue. I was not comfortable signing and now they won't help me. Not sure what to do next. This is a horrific mishandling of consumer rights! I have only had the car for 6 years and put 50K miles on it. These cars should be recalled now before someone gets killed driving one of them.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Apr 112015

Pacifica 6-cyl

Frame is rusted and car is not safe.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Mar 312015

Pacifica 6-cyl

My Pacifica has been garage kept since I bought it new in July of 2005. Besides the fact that the body has started to rust through, repairs for which I have no option but to replace the entire carriage (as I've been told by multiple body men), today I was told by my mechanic that my subframe has started to rust through in multiple locations, and he was obligated to tell me about the damage. The car only has 60,000 miles on it!

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Mar 262015

We had our car inspected this week and were told we had a rotted body frame. We were sent to a Dodge dealer and they told us we had a rotted subframe. The cost of repair will be $1885.40 for the part and $600 for labor. It will not be ready to drive till April 6 as the dealer requires the parts money up front before they will even order the part so we have to save the money for this. So we have no car for the next 10 days at least. We have researched and understand that Chrysler knows of this problem and did a limited amount of repairs as it was their fault but apparently they are not helping the majority of car owners who have this problem. This does not seem fair to the other owners. We can barely afford to come up with this money to fix something that is this company's fault. I cannot believe they are not being forced to fix all these cars when it is a danger issue. How can we drive a car with a rotted frame" we had to have the rocker panels replaced a few years ago when they rotted out too. Now this is added to our cost. We cannot afford to buy another car and barely able to fix this car at our retirement age. Why aren't companies held to a standard to protect consumers" we understand there are class action suits that have recently been filed for this problem within the last couple of months but we have no idea how to be involved in theses cases if it is even possible to do that. We wish there was a solution for us and for others with similar problems with this car.

- Berwick, ME, USA

Aug 262014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chrysler pacific that has about 100,000 miles on it. In August of 2014, I took the vehicle to the Chrysler dealership in downers grove il on ogden for an oil change. Once they had the vehicle up on the rack, they saw extensive sub frame rust damage and told me that soon the vehicle should not be drivable due to the sub frame that is rusted through and deteriorating. This is premature engine cradle rust failure. They said it was a costly repair and that Chrysler wouldn't cover anything because it was out of warranty. This is not acceptable, I have taken very good care of this car and the mileage is considerably low. I have also spoken with Chrysler and opened a case with them but they said they will not cover any repairs because my vehicle was built a few months after the range that they are fixing.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jan 162015

The front subframe is severely corroded. It could fail at any time letting the engine drop.

- Greenup, IL, USA

Sep 052014

The subframe under the engine is rusting out badly.I don't know how much longer I can drive this vehicle.

- Lake Station, IN, USA

Dec 172014

I was having my oil changed yesterday and the technician pointed out a badly rotted and cracked subframe on the passenger side. The subframe is only rotted and cracked on one side and in one spot which leads me to believe this is due to a manufacturer defect. I have contacted Chrysler and was told there is no recall and then my call was disconnected.

- Poplar Grove , IL, USA

Nov 172014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My 2005 Chrysler pacific has a frame that is rusting out the motor holder. Just wondering if you can help me on how to get it take care of by Chrysler ?

- Walton, KY, USA

Oct 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have maintained this vehicle extremely well. No visible rust on body, vehicle appears to be in excellent condition. I took vehicle in for routine maintenance and the technician stated that the engine cradle and passenger side sub frame is nearly rusted in half. I was shocked because it is not my primary winter vehicle, and salt exposure is minimal. The technician explained that it is not safe to drive the vehicle because of the risk of drive train falling out when the engine cradle fails to support the engine and transmission. Also, the car could break in half if the sub frame fails. How can a vehicle that has been well maintained, looks and drives like new, be unsafe because it isn't structurally sound. The vehicle is driven only about 10000 miles per year. An online search revealed that this is a known issue on this make/model. I cannot understand how this vehicle is not recalled. I have been driving this vehicle, thinking it would keep my family and I safe. This is very dangerous, and millions of people are undoubtedly driving Chrysler Pacificas that are not structurally safe. I hope that the NHTSA will investigate this.

- Bellville, OH, USA

Oct 142014

I have been informed by two different auto mechanics about substantial rust on the sub-frame at the front of my vehicle. For a 9 year old vehicle this is unacceptable and a safety hazard.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Oct 032014

I have just performed routine (10/03/20014) maintenance on my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The mechanic called to inform me of significant corrosion problem with the cross member (cradle) that supports the engine, transmission, front suspension and steering. His visual inspection, as well as mine, showed more then 75% of the passenger side cradle rusted away. An open case # 25736224 has been established by Chrysler customer support. My Pacifica was produced September 30, 2004 which is outside of the assembly dates established by Chrysler for extended warranty coverage. Failure of the cross member (cradle) would cause loss of steering, engine and transmission failure, and severed brake lines. Because this is a major safety issue it should be repaired by Chrysler corporation.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 292014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Chrysler 2005 Pacifica has significant engine cradle and other undercarriage rust issues. Today at my auto repair shop I took several photographs of the rusted engine cradle, undercarriage and other suspension areas with heavy rusting. Called Chrysler care 1-800-247-9753 and they kindly told me there was nothing they can do to assist in the repair cost. Numerous reports online of repairs being selectively reimbursed by Chrysler. How many complaints are required for a recall to be issued or is a class action developing for this issue. Thanks.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Sep 032014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While replacing a set of tires at a local shop, the service manager informed me of a rusted engine support frame. He also stated the danger of the engine falling out of the vehicle. The vehicle has been well maintained at the local Chrysler dealership with maintenance and inspection reports every 3000 miles. Never once has this rusted frame been reported at the Chrysler dealership! the last service report during an oil change stated, "checked over everything looked ok". the dealership has reported other maintenance and repair issues but never this one. Is Chrysler trying to hide this potential safety problem? I've been a long term owner of Chrysler products and never had a problem with a rusted-out engine support. The car currently sits in our garage with my wife refusing to drive the vehicle because of the potential safety issue.

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Aug 112014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Pacifica. The car was in for body work, when a mechanic noticed severe rusting on the frame. He stated that the engine, could fall through the body frame! I did a google search and found hundreds of complaints about the problem. There is a story from a tv station in Florida covering this story.'ve-had-dangerous-corrosion-problems-with-the-popular-minivan-243624441.html. This is a engineering failure according to my mechanic, who stated they did not included enough drain plugs. My daughter drives this car and I contacted Chrysler and they say it is past the warranty. This is unacceptable an engine should never be able to fall out of its mountings!!!!!!

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jul 142014

Pacifica 6-cyl

After taking our 2005 Pacifica to a Chrysler dealership to be looked at for rattling and knocking noises in the front end and complaints of the car sounding like it was going to fall apart, especially when driving over bumpy roads; I was advised that the engine cradle, subframe, sway bar links and frame bushings needed to be replaced due to rust and corrosion. The cost would be between $3000 and $4500. We were advised the car was very unsafe to drive. We asked the dealership to take pictures of the front end when they put it up on the lift. When we received the pictures via email, we were horrified by what we saw. We were grateful that we were not involved in what could have been a tragic accident had we not taken the car in to be looked at. We wondered why this happened as we have 3 other cars older than this car. They have been inspected and do no have this problem. After some investigating we have found out this is a common problem with this vehicle, year and make and Chrysler is well aware of it, they have no plans to do a recall or advise owners of the problem, or at least not until there is a fatality or some horrific accident due to this faulty product Chrysler is putting in their vehicles. We have lost all faith in Chrysler.they must think very little of human life.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jul 142014

I took my car to the shop to fix a hub bearing and pulley and was informed by my mechanic that I have a serious problem with my frame, he informed me my frame is rusted and I am in a lot of danger driving this car. He informed me there was an article to look it up online about this issue being a problem with this make and model. I was not aware there were so many articles about this make and model and this rust problem. I cannot believe Chrysler knew about this problem and never contact me to warn me of this problem, in which can cost me my life and my family. This is about a $2500 job that I feel Chrysler should be responsible for. Please let me know how I can be helped with this situation.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 152014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car into the local dealership and they told me my front subframe is rusted out and unsafe. They said there was a tsb 13-001-12 that may apply since this a common problem. However due to the mileage it was not covered. This is a safety item that is present in these vehicles which has been documented by the news and all over the internet. This condition can lead to crashes and possible death.I contacted Chrysler and they told me there isn't anything they can do. When I was notified about the issue at around 145K miles, there was only a small pin hole in the center of the cradle. At 168K miles there is a hole you can put your fist in. This is a major suspension component, not something subjected to normal wear like a tie rod. I would fully expect to pay for a tie rod, rack and pinion or ball joints. This is different, a major structural component. My vehicle is in good shape and I plan to keep it for the next 5 years. But with the cost of the subframe and the miles it is worthless. This is an issue that needs to be looked into. Hopefully it doesn't lead to too many deaths before something is done.

- Bloomington, IL, USA