Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 102016

The car under it is knocking and hitting against the car itself when you go over a bump in the road, the breaks slip unless the ABS light is on and the power steering compartment is constantly empty which causes the steering to whine until you fill it back up.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jun 282016

I bought this car in 2011 all I have had with this car is problems after problems. First I was driving and the car stopped running it was something electrical then now my sub frame is no good it is rotted out rust all over the sub frame and I have two little girls in my car all the time and to top it off I'm still paying on this car to the bank what do I do not. I need someones help this is to much money for one person to pay when this was not my doing it was the car makers doing.

- Willimantic, CT, USA

May 202016

2005 Chrysler Pacifica I purchased from original owner with only 63000 miles. Car while driving, car just accelerates to high speed on its own for no reason. Have to put it in neutral to avoid death or injury. Today while driving normally, all warning lights came on & we ended up stranded due to weird electrical failure where we can't even get car out of park. Passenger headlamp has gone out several times, now drive fog lamp out. There appears to be many mechanical & electrical failures with this car. It's truly horrifying how poorly engineered and dangerous these cars are & I'm forced to drive this wagon with my family as we can't afford to replace it. Would like to start a class action lawsuit against Chrysler for endangering the public with their dangerous cars. How many people need to die before all these Pacifica's are recalled and repurchased by Chrysler for book value?

- Fall River, MA, USA

May 062016

Gas gauge fluctuates to empty with light and chime announcing no gas, but there is a three quarter tank full of gas. The engine turns off and steering locks without power. Used car purchased yesterday and we were stranded until we filled the tank with three gallons the car was in motion the first time it stalled. The second time it was idling at a stop light. The third time was in a parking lot. I turned the engine off than back on it resumed. We were heading in a straight directions.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Feb 172016

When I drive my car I can hear my engine hitting the walls of my car. It is loose and also the breaks ABS light is on throughout my drive. If it is not on than the breaks slide.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 102016

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that there was a progressing failure with the vehicle idling high and making an abnormal noise. In addition, the rpms raced abnormally without warning when the vehicle was being driven at any rate of speed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing who kept the vehicle longer than two weeks. The dealer was unable to provide a specific diagnosis to repair the vehicle. The dealer stated that it may be the computer, a sensor(s), or the PCM. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06V432000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Lexington, TN, USA

May 012015

My vehicle began stalling while being driven on the street and highways, when turning and while stopped for light changes. Had to have battery "jumped" or charged several times. Battery had to be replaced twice because of discharged from alternator. Had alternator replaced. Battery continued to drained. Vehicle ran for one day and completely shut down while in motion. After jump starting the battery, vehicle ran for a couple of minutes. Was told by service mechanics, battery or alternator problems even after having those parts replaced. Finally had the vehicle towed to dealership that specialized in Chrysler and was shock when he stated it was the PCM (powertrain control module) which I believed and researched was part a recall for 2005 Pacificas in 2006. Told by the dealership that the fuel pump was fixed which is not the problem of this vehicle. The PCM is the problem, and the dealership is not owning this. I did not purchase the vehicle until 2010; so I honestly believed that this problem was not repair but claimed to had been. When referencing the recall notification (which I did not receive personally), the fuel pump problem was replaced for 2004 models not 2005 models. PCM problems were that of the 2005 models which was not repaired or replaced for this vehicle. I have had my vehicle towed approximately 7 times now. I am still paying insurance for a vehicle that is unable to be driven. The dealership wants to charge me $1000 for repair, that is a little less that half of what the vehicle is worth.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 282015

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph and attempting to turn right, the vehicle stalled without warning and the steering while seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 162,940.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 242015

The electrical component on moving my seats failed years ago. I've had electrical lights/ glitches in the dash showing problems with the airbag. This past weekend, I took my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in for repairs to the alternator and was informed the cradle/frame suspension on my vehicle is rusted through. The mechanic informed me that this framing should not rust through if it was coated properly and if it continues to rust through, the engine block will drop out. I was quoted over $2,000 to purchase a used part and to complete the repairs.

- Ramsey, MN, USA

Aug 172015

I own a 2005 Pacifica limited, I purchased this car in 2009 from a Chrysler dealer. I have taken this car back to the same dealer who sold me the car for servicing (oil change, repairs, ect). Not once was I informed (during the purchase or any time during servicing the Pacifica) about the rotting subframe. I have all of my records showing the inspection underneath with no mention of the rotting/rusted subframe. This car belongs to my wife and she drives our two kids in this car (not anymore). After reviewing other similar complaints I am very upset and frustrated with this whole situation. I have had electrical problems with this car and the whole time it could have been from the rotting/rusted subframe (that was never mentioned). I have put soooo much money into the repairs of this car and I feel like most could have been avoided, had I known about the subframe.

- Maineville, OH, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While operating the vehicle, the accelerator pedal suddenly malfunctioned and became stuck causing the vehicle to experience unintended acceleration. In addition, while driving approximately 30 mph, the speedometer displayed the speed as 70 mph. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Perry, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Purchased the car Aug, 2014. Previous owner also had same issues. Has been in shop several times, unable to pinpoint cause/remedy situation. Seat controls do not work, remote keyfobs do not work, interior lights, head lamps, no electrical function present unless key is in ignition, in the "on" position. When shutting off the car, all lights on the dashboard light up and the only way to shut them off is to push on and then off the hazard lights. This will cause all electrical to go out, including the head lamps and all interior lights. If you do not turn them off by using the hazard lights, it will kill the battery. We have replaced the fuses in for the seats several times. They work for a bit and then blow out again. The mechanics have gone as far as to replace the wiring assembly and still no remedy. I don't know how there is not a recall on this vehicle.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

May 082015

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle was inoperable. The radio remained active, but the vehicle would not start. The battery was replaced. The vehicle was taken to auto zone where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module switch malfunctioned. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 193,600.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Sep 272012

Pacifica 6-cyl

While driving home, late evening, I reached to turn on windshield washer and when I did that, the headlights went out, radio and A/C went dead, taillights went out. The only electrical components still working were dashlights, doorlocks, turn signals, and security system. Engine and power steering still worked. Fortunately, there was not much traffic, or it could have been a dangerous situation. I managed to pull into a parking lot and parked to assess things, but found I could not shift out of park because of interlock. Car was towed to mechanic, who diagnosed power distribution module failure - replaced the box, but it still has the same symptoms. So far, 12 days in the shop, with no solution in sight. I think such a general system failure does present a safety issue.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Jun 022014

There was a recall from Chrysler made for 2004-2005 Pacificas dealing with the engine cradle. They eroded and rusted through. Thousands upon thousand of cars were recalled. They than revoked it for a 2 month recall span. This problem has been deadly and fatal and has affected thousands of families. Chrysler refuses to fix the warranty that was organically wrote and sent out. They refuse to fix or acknowledge that the problem exist and is deadly for these people who drive the Pacifica as their " family transportation". in the past month my 2005 Pacifica has stalled out, died, had all roaders, breaks and control arms replaced. All new tires and now I find out my engine cradle has rusted out to where's its not drivable. Now the radio stopped working, the air wont turn on if blinkers are all, the entire electrical body has crapped out and Chrysler refuses to fix the problems they set the original recall for. There are thousands of people driving these cars with kids, what will it take for someone to fix this issue" death of thousands of kids? multiple accidents"

- Winthrop, MA, USA

Mar 102014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated the gauges on the instrument panel failed to operate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who diagnosed that the electrical system failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 123,000. Updated 10/7/14 updated 3/11/2014

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Pacifica. Consumer writes in regards to engine and headlight problems. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled twice, within the last 3 years. Both times, he was making a hard turn, when the engine stopped. He wa able to maintain control of the vehicle and re-started it, without any problem. The vehicle was inspected by a mechanic, who found nothing wrong, other than throttle body build-up, which he cleaned. Also, the headlight would intermittently go out. The bulb did not seem to fit securely in the harness, which caused a short and eventually the bulb blew out. The problem seemed to be more prominent on the passenger side. The driver's side bulb was less than an ideal fit, but there were no problems with it going out. The bulb was replaced numerous times, along with the wiring harness.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jan 062014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was driving along returning from the market and I was approaching a redlight. I applied the brakes and all the lights begin to flicker and the car stalled. I started the car back up and the dashboard lights or cluster instrument panel was black. The headlights still work, but no brake lights. Before that my driver seat power went out and my headlight bulbs keep blowing. I don't know what to do. Im a single mom, full time worker, full time student on a very tight budget, im too scared to check if my engine cradle is rusted. I don't need anymore bad news about this car. I changed the fuse for the cluster panel and it works fine for awhile (*couple of hours) and then its back to black when I apply the brakes. What is going on? Chrysler needs to setup and fix our cars because they had no problems accepting our bailout.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 262014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Our regular mechanic has determined that the undercarriage of my car is rusted and rotted to the point where it is unsafe to drive. Car was brought in due to electrical failure as mentioned above. I have never received recall notices. I spoke with a Chrysler rep today and there is nothing we can do because its not with in the recall time frame.

- Bridgewater , MA, USA

Feb 032014

Pacifica 6-cyl

When I start my car from a parked position, I put the car in reverse and it stalls out. It throws the car in neutral. I also ended up in a ditch. I had to leave the car at my job. Unable to drive it home from work. My mechanic will come and tow my car to his shop.

- Norcross , GA, USA