Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 162011

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at any speed, the vehicle would abnormally veer toward the right. The contact also stated that the brakes would involuntarily engage when driving at any speed. Once the brakes disengaged, the vehicle would surge forward momentarily. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 73,500. Updated 5/24/11 the vehicle stalled while in reverse, a water pump was installed and the vehicle surged forward

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Mar 282011

Pacifica 6-cyl

Gas pedal sticks when accelerating and doesn't release when foot is removed causing unwanted acceleration. Pressing on brake does not help. Only way to get pedal to unstick is to hit it forceably with your foot sometimes several times before it will release. Floor mat has been removed and it didn't help situation. Gas pedal sticking and causing unwanted acceleration started happening every once and awhile here and there but has increased in frequency and is now happening everytime I drive the vehicle. I am concerned for my and my childrens safety as it has already caused a minor accident when I rear ended another driver because the car continued to accelerate after I removed my foot from gas pedal, but afraid it will cause a more serious accident in the future.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Feb 202011

Pacifica 6-cyl

The gas pedal on my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring model sticks upon acceleration from idle or cold start. It also has a tendency to be hard to push after deceleration to acceleration. This occurs every time going from idle to acceleration and approximately 50% of the time while running.

- Payson, IL, USA

Nov 152009

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was parked, the contact attempted to start the vehicle and accelerator pedal stuck. The vehicle lunged forward so the contact had to depress the brake pedal firmly to avoid a crash. The failure had been occurring daily since 2010. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 79,000.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Jan 232011

I have a 2005 chyrsler Pacifica. The gas pedal is sticking. It sticks hard enough that you have to forcefully push the accelerator peddle down. This causes unwanted rapid acceleration! the problem is getting worse in the past three weeks. The pedal has gotten stuck four times. I was backing out of a parking space and the car accelerated in reverse. Unsure, if my family car is safe, for my family.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Sep 012009

Pacifica 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Pacifica. Consumer states defective airbag the consumer stated the air bag light illuminated in September 2009. Also, there were problems with the transmission control module, brakes, wheel sensors, a clogged throttle body and for the past 18 months there has been a popping sound coming from the left side of the steering components. The dealership made repairs three times, but the popping sound eventually came back. The drive shaft was replaced three time and the rack and pinion was replaced three times.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jan 152010

2005 Chrysler pacfica has a sticky gas pedal. Gas pedal will get stuck while driving and then cause the car to lunge forward when gets un stuck. It is not very safe at all.

- Ponce Inlet, FL, USA

Aug 012005

Sticking gas pedal on 2005 Chrysler pacific.

- Beverly Hills, FL, USA

May 282010

I just took my 2005 Chrysler pacific in due to the gas pedal sticking. The gas pedal would stick and I would have to press on it hard in order for it to work. This would happen almost everytime I started up my car. The service person stated that there was some type build up due to wear and tear on the vehicle. I only have 42,000 miles on my car. I paid for the repair (approx $190) because my warranty didn't cover the problem. I can't believe that at 42,000 this would happen.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 052010

Pacifica 6-cyl

Accelerator stuck open when braking traveling ~ 10mph. This happened 3 different times within 9 months span. I had to put the gear in neutral and turn off the engine. Chrysler dealer in lithia, or examined my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica and was unable to reproduce the problem and did nothing to correct it.

- Trail, OR, USA

May 052009

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while attempting to enter a highway, the vehicle would not move forward. After shifting into park and back into drive, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and lunged forward. The failure occurred five times. The contact called the manufacturer and was told that they were aware of the failure. The manufacturer stated that the throttle was the cause of the failure and needed to be cleaned out every 30,000 miles. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000. The current mileage was 62,508.

- Austin , TX, USA

Dec 032009

Sticky accelerator pedal 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. No easy way to accelerate out of full stop.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Sep 102006

This is an old story. 2005 Chrysler pasifica. I adjusted (move forward) accel and brake pedal position by electric position adjustment system. Then I went to a highway (I94, mi), my car did not speed at all. Very slow. So, I could not follow the flow of other vehicle, I was almost be crashed. I immediately quit from the highway and checked the pedals. The reason of the issue was poor stroke of the pedals. In case of Pacifica, when we move the pedals forward more than middle position, moving range of the accel pedal was reduced less than half because the pedal hit on the floor. Also, this problem causes auto cruise system problem. Because the pedal can not move more than half of its range, the system can not pull the pedal correctly. Then the vacuum hose drops out from the line. My vehicle suddenly slow down when the problem occurred. I went to Chrysler service center and they reconnect the vacuum hose again. I am sure this is a design error and should be improved immediately. Maybe recall.

- Novi, MI, USA

Feb 142010

Defective sticking gas pedal on Chrysler Pacifica.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 102010

I own a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. I purchased the vehicle new in 2006. The accelerator on the vehicle sticks forcing me to apply a great deal of pressure to make it go. I have been told that this is the result of the accumulation of gunk in the throttle and that this is a common problem with the Pacifica. I believe this poses a safety issue for me and my family along with other motorists. This is clearly a manufacturers defect since it is so common place in the Pacificas. I would like to ask your Agency's help in making Chrysler accountable to fix this defect before someone gets killed.

- Medina, OH, USA

Jun 012006

I have had several incidents of the accelerator pedal sticking. I have taken it into the dealer with no results. I have E-mailed Chrysler and they tell me to take it to the dealer. With the recent Toyota accelerator pedal problems, I am concerned that others are experiencing the same problems. I see one other in your records.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Jun 242009

I have 2005 Chrysler Pacifica the accelerator pedal is sticky. It becomes sticky when driving slowing, sometime you will be force to step on the pedal and it will takeoff.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Sep 022009

This is the second time in approximately two years that I've had to have the same front speed sensor on my 2005 Pacifica replaced. On September 13, 2007, the front sensor was replaced. It was still under warranty at this time at 33,000 miles. We were told by the technician that it was "defective." Yet, there was no recall issued for the vehicles affected by this. Fast forward two years, my car has over 50K miles, is no longer under warranty, and the same sensor has gone off. Now, it is a $316 job. The part only costs $48.99 through pep boys, so the dealership (jones junction in bel air, md) is robbing me for $268 in labor on a service that takes all of 15 minutes to take the wheel on and off. Please investigate this travesty of justice. I have been on the internet and it seems this is a common problem with my year, make, and model, and should be addressed by Chrysler.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Dec 242008

I was making a 800 mile trip in my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica and noticed that the throttle was starting to stick when my cruise control was disengaged. The only way to fix it was to stomp on the gas pedal. I pulled over to see if there was something stuck around the pedal or even the throttle cable but couldn't find anything. The throttle only stuck when the tac was at around 2700 to 3000 rpms. When I made it to my destination I got on the internet to see if there was anything posted about this problem. To my surprise there were quite a few and some of them within the same mileage and or conditions. Most of them took there car to the dealer who either charged them for a new throttle body or pedal assembly or even the throttle cable. I just went out and looked at mine and discovered that a hose that came from the cars air intake was rubbing against the throttle spring and cables. I loosely zip tied the hose to the alternators mounting bracket and haven't had another problem. But the hose was being cut by the cable. I caught mine before it was to bad.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jul 052007

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact was involved in two crashes. In the first crash, the contact struck a deer and the air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repair, but the more it was repaired, the more failures were found. In the second crash, the vehicle automatically accelerated uphill at a high rate of speed and spun out. The vehicle flipped over repeatedly and landed upside down, nearly killing the contact. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. After the crashes, she received a safety recall notice for the fuel pump module or program PCM. The speed, recall number, and mileages were unknown.

- Yukon, OK, USA