CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Sep 092015

Pacifica

The cradle mount for the engine has rusted making the vehicle unsafe to drive! this 2005 Chrysler Pacifica has very little body rust and the engine is in good condition. This problem is very common according to many mechanics I have visited. All of them say that the engine could fall out at any time.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 212015

Pacifica

I recently changed my own oil on this vehicle. When I was underneath of it I observed 1 medium sized rust hole thru the subframe and 2 smaller rust holes in the subframe. This is an issue with these vehicles after I further looked into the issue that others were having with this vehicle. I have pictures of this issue. This is known as cradle rot. The lower motor mount of the engine is bolted into this subframe. And if continues to get worse the engine can fall out of the vehicle. Not only I have 3 holes in it there is a lot of rust on this subframe that looks could be more of an issue in the years to come. I do not understand thru all the years of being under vehicles this is by far one of the worse I have ever seen. I do not feel safe now driving this car. Especially with my family in it. This car may be 10yrs old but has low miles and is in very good condition. You would never know by looking at this vehicle inside and out that there is something majorly wrong underneath it, unless you yourself crawled under it. And the vehicle has always been garage kept.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Sep 022015

Pacifica

I put my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica in the shop on 9/2/2015 for an oil change and inspection and to my surprise was told the "subframe is rotting out". my mechanic stated this is a common problem for the Pacifica. I did some research and found a considerable amount of complaints for the same exact issue. Apparently, Chrysler provided an extended warranty for a very small number of cars effected by this safety hazard. Chrysler is not taking this defect seriously; should provide corrective action before fatalities occur.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Aug 112015

Pacifica

Subframe has rusted out near the engine. Unsafe to drive

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Jul 202015

Pacifica

Extensive undercarriage rust was found during a routine oil change. This rust effects the motor bolts as well as motor support carriage. The mechanic has advised that the car is not safe to drive. The car has 81,268 miles and has been well maintained. Upon investigation, I discovered this problem has been consistently reported by owners of this vehicle. The car has been used to Transport children on the highway and after examining the rust damage Chrysler should have notified owners of this serious safety risk and should be responsible for the repair.

- Cohasset, MA, USA

Engine cradle rusted out

- Verona, PA, USA

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rotted out

- Verona, PA, USA

Jul 012015

Pacifica

Went to have vibration in the front checked and the mechanic discovered the big hole from the rot on the engine cradle went to a local body shop to get repaired. A new cradle is 3600 $ a used one is 600 we opted to order a used one and hopefully my wife and children and grandchildren will be safe. No thanks to Chrysler negligence in ignoring the issues. They seem to forget who made them a company the consumer.

- Avilla , IN, USA

May 282015

Pacifica

I took my 05 Pacifica in for inspection. I was told will not pass because my subframe is rusted with holes and very dangerous to drive. Chrysler did acknowledge this defect and extended the warranty to 10 yrs 150000 miles. Then layer revised it to manufacture date of 6 weeks. I fell short 7 days of this so I am not covered. Evidently the same faulty material was used. I am beyond upset how Chrysler is aloud to manufacture a vehicle that is dangerous, and could have killed me or my family. Why do I have to wait for enough complaints in order for Chrysler to step up and handel. Not only is my subframe rotted, my motor mounts also are for the second time in in a few years. No one needs their subframe nor motor mounts changed more then once in a vehicle 10 yrs old unless it's a defect in material. I am now without a car, or the thousands of dollars to fix. I also was told these parts are national backorder...hmmm I wonder why. Why does it take someone to get the story on the news for Chrysler to step up. This is outrageous, all these complaints of the same issue. Please look into this. Most Chrysler owners don't know to put in a complaint here. Think of the hundreds that never did. How many is considered enough please, I need my vehicle. Thank you

- Douglassville, PA, USA

Jun 172015

Pacifica

I took my car in for an oil change and was told my engine cradle is rusted and repairs could cost between 4000 - 5000. I called Chrysler and was told me vehicle was not included in the extended warranty coverage. I have seen multiple complaints about this issue yet they refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. This is a serious condition and could result in the engine falling out. Very dangerous and would like to get help addressing this problem.

- Berkley , MI, USA

Pacifica

During an oil change, massive rust was found in the engine craddle, sub frame. Failure of these parts would be catastrop. Chrysler has acknowledged this problem with a small subset of these cars but clearly applies to all as similar symptoms are showing in cars outside the group sleected for relief. This is wrong, this is not safe, this is not fair.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jun 162015

Pacifica

I am the original owner of 2005 Chrysler pacific. I sent my car to a local garage today and was told the front sub frame was completed rusted and not safe to drive. I called Chrysler and was told my card is out of the cut off window for X26 recall. However it is the same problem as stated in the recall letter, and Chrysler is not willing to compensate any thing. 82,000 mile on my car.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 092014

Pacifica

Had my car in to be serviced and they told me my engine cradle was rusted out and that it was dangerous to drive and that there was a recall on the 2004/2005 model year. So I brought it T the dealer and they said my car wasn't covered even though the letter I was given a copy of didn't specify anything but the 2004/2005 model year. So I called Chrysler customer service and they said that my vehicle wasn't in the dates listed to be fixed yet I have the problem they all are complaining about. So I was able to get a manager to look at the issue and they never called back. So I called them back last week because we are at the deadline of the of the recall and the are refusing the claim. This is a dangerous issue and have a car that's ready to break any day. Please help me get my car fixed and keep my family safe.

- Sheffield Lake , OH, USA

Dec 112014

Pacifica

While having a flat tire fixed on a lift noticed my whole engine cradle is rusted out from driverside to pasenger side of the underbody.Chrysler had A10 year one hundred thousand mile warranty.my auto did not make their cut off period. I have the same rust the rest of the Pacificas had or have. Went to small claims court I won after the third round was defeated. Can you send me anything to help me in the forth round.

- Malverne, NY, USA

Jun 052015

Pacifica

Vehicle subframe (engine cradle) is rotted out and vehicle is unsafe to drive. Chrysler issued a recall for this but only for a 6 week period for 2004 models. Looking online I see hundreds of complaints of the 2005 Pacifica. I have photos. Subframe is about to fall apart and this will cause the engine to drop. This is a major defect. Chrysler needs to address this issue. How many owners look under their car at the subframe? it's a hidden defect that will kill someone one day. Subframes are not supposed to rot away at the 10 year point. This is a major major defect. Please let me send you photos.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Pacifica

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica and I was experiencing problems with a clicking noise and shifting coming from underneath the front end of my car. Upon inspection by my mechanic it became clear that the "engine cradle" or subframe was completely rotted through with visible corrosion. Upon further investigation, I discovered that this "engine cradle" corrosion problem has been acknowledged by Chrysler and an extended warranty was issued to repair this part for 2004 and 2005 Pacifica's. extended warranty letter id is: 0004617/#45543/X26...however, when I contacted Chrysler, I was informed that based on the VIN # of my car, I did not qualify for Chrysler extended warranty for this issue, the letter Chrysler issued for this extended warranty clearly states that it covers 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica's, and even though I fall within the model year, geographical region, and the 10yr/150,000mile guidelines of extended warranty, Chrysler claims that my 2005 was not manufactured within some narrow manufacturing window to qualify for this extended warranty.

- Austintown, OH, USA

May 042015

Pacifica

I was told by my mechanic yesterday that the engine cradle frame on my car is cracked and that Chrysler knows about this issue but is not doing anything about it. All or a lot of the Chrysler Pacifica's 2005 are having this happen. I looked this issue up on the internet and am amazed at how many other complaints are out there about this issue and Chrysler is still not doing anything about it" I could have been driving down the highway a week ago with my daughter and my engine could have fallen out! Chrysler knows this is happening with the Pacifica's and is not saying anything to the owners or trying to help them fix the problem" being a single parent raising a child on my own does not leave me many options, but to drive the Pacifica with my child in it knowing the engine could fall out at any time until I can save enough money to get the frame replaced or buy a different vehicle.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Apr 272015

Pacifica 6-cyl

In 'żż14, it was noticed that the subframe was rusted. I did not inspect it any further because I trusted that it was a normal amount of rust. However, on 4/27/15, the car began to have issues. Upon acceleration from a stop or slow-roll, there is a vibration that can be felt throughout the floorboards & the gas pedal. When the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear & the RPM's drop, the car makes a "thud" or "clunk" sound from the engine area of the car. This "thud" can be felt in the cabin of the car. The vibrations & the noise has grown worse over the course of 3 days. I had the car inspected during an oil change at a Chrysler dealership on 4/30/15, & I was advised that, due to the amount of rust to the subframe & engine cradle, the car's structural integrity has been breached. The mechanic took a picture & had the service manager bring it to me in the waiting room & advise me that if I hit a large enough bump, the subframe may break apart & the engine may drop out of the car. I contacted Chrysler & they offer no remedy. Upon research of the issue, I have found that this is a common problem among 'żż04 & 'żż05 Chrysler Pacificas & that the manufacturer had issued a recall on the car for this problem in 'żż10, but rescinded the recall & created a tsb it, yet upheld the recall for Pacificas that were manufactured between 2/23/04 & 3/31/04. Due to the initial recall, tsb, & the partial recall from the Chrysler Pacificas manufactured in '04, Chrysler has admitted fault in not properly coating the subframe materials to prevent rust from occurring. Chrysler is not willing to take corrective action for their dangerous & faulty craftsmanship of their cars. This is negligence & a dangerous practice-for the lives of the drivers, passengers, & others on the roads, as well as within the realms of business ethics. This widespread situation needs to be addressed & remedied immediately.

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

Apr 202015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car to a shop for repairs, and the mechanic was alarmed to find that the frame is so rusted under the engine that he deemed it unsafe to drive. My car has 185,000 miles on it, and is in otherwise good condition. It is not safe to drive as the engine could fall to the ground, potentially causing an accident. I was advised to get rid of the vehicle, but obviously I cannot sell it. I was never notified of this potential problem, although I have become aware that Chrysler knew the problem existed.

- Walker, IA, USA

Apr 082015

Pacifica

2005 Chrysler Pacifica engine cradle is rusted out and the engine could fall out of the car. I find the car to be unsafe to drive. That is the only thing is rusted out on the car, this needs to be fix by Chrysler.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA