CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Dec 142014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Have been hearing and feeling knocking noise in front suspension. Found rusted out engine cradle with stress cracks right at the connection to control arm on passenger side. Car is to dangerous to drive. This is a defective design by Chrysler which they should cover.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Dec 092014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my vehicle in for routine nys inspection and was told it wouldn't pass due to the bad subframe. The mechanic showed me the problem and I couldn't believe that the vehicle that I bought thinking it was a safe dependable vehicle was rotting out from underneath me! I've always performed required routine maintenance on it as I am a single working mother and need a safe reliable vehicle. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because I can't afford to pay the $3,000 to fix it, to buy a new vehicle or to be without a car! I still owe on it and I can't drive it! is there anything you can do to make Chrysler make this right?

- Oswego, NY, USA

Nov 182014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Engine cradle rusting out on passenger side. No help from dealer or Chrysler customer care. They have known about this problem for some time. So many of these vehicles are still on the road and people do not realize they are driving a death trap. Cant imagine what would happen at 70 mph and the engine falls out.

- East Moline, IL, USA

Jul 032009

Pacifica 6-cyl

In July 2009, during the vehicle safety inspection, the first signs that the engine cradle was rusted and even perforated in some places were reported. Now, it is getting worse and worse, vibrations can be felt when driving and great concerns are made on this vehicle safety. Updated 12/08/14

- France, DC, USA

Oct 232014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Upon taking car in for routine nys inspection was informed of severe engine cradle rot. Estimated repair $4000. Car has less than 114K miles and is only 9 years old. I cant afford to repair and even though I have opened a case with Chrysler they are not willing to help me. Chrysler admits issue when they offered extension of warranty on 2004 and 2005 models but refuses to issue a recall or fix the problem at their cost. Owners are stuck with a costly repair option. Chrysler should be addressing this safety issue.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Oct 232014

Pacifica

Engine cradle/frame assembly is severley rusted. This was detected by conrad's located in green, Ohio 10/23/14 when servicing the vehicle. It is verified by duanne's automotive center, North canton, Ohio 10/25/14. Chrysler never sent me a recall notification for the rust condition. It was a recall item. It is very dangerous. It is costing me in excess of $1200 (parts and labor to install used cradle assembly - new is not available for purchase) to replace.

- Akron, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Pacifica

I have maintained this vehicle extremely well. No visible rust on body, vehicle appears to be in excellent condition. I took vehicle in for routine maintenance and the technician stated that the engine cradle and passenger side sub frame is nearly rusted in half. I was shocked because it is not my primary winter vehicle, and salt exposure is minimal. The technician explained that it is not safe to drive the vehicle because of the risk of drive train falling out when the engine cradle fails to support the engine and transmission. Also, the car could break in half if the sub frame fails. How can a vehicle that has been well maintained, looks and drives like new, be unsafe because it isn't structurally sound. The vehicle is driven only about 10000 miles per year. An online search revealed that this is a known issue on this make/model. I cannot understand how this vehicle is not recalled. I have been driving this vehicle, thinking it would keep my family and I safe. This is very dangerous, and millions of people are undoubtedly driving Chrysler Pacificas that are not structurally safe. I hope that the NHTSA will investigate this.

- Bellville, OH, USA

Oct 012014

- Bellville, OH, USA

Dec 022013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Numerous complaints from owners of Chrysler Pacifica (2004 - 2005). The sub -frame of the vehicle was not treated properly for rust or corrosion. The motor mounts to the sub-frame and if the sub-frame is compromised the engine could drop down and destroy all braking and steering capabilities; as well as, catastrophic issues including death. What does it take for Chrysler to realize that this is a problem. How does Chrysler issue an extended warranty and then rescind the letter. Corporate greed at its best. This is a "family vehicle" that we afraid to drive because you do not know when the sub-frame will "give-way" and possibly kill everyone in side or someone else. Can I get some help!! please !!

- Whaton , IL, USA

Oct 072014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Was told by my mechanic that the car would not pass inspection as the front sub-frame that holds up the engine has major corrosion and is a safety concern. Checking the internet confirms that my cars condition is not unique. Chrysler does have a recall out for this model and this condition but it is only for vehicles in a six week manufacturing window and my vehicle does not qualify. It should. Cost of repair I was told by the dealer is $4,100 plus. Part alone is $3,870. This needs to be investigated by your organization please. This sounds like the Toyota Tundra pick-up frame issue. Same problem.

- Athol, MA, USA

Oct 032014

Pacifica

I have just performed routine (10/03/20014) maintenance on my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The mechanic called to inform me of significant corrosion problem with the cross member (cradle) that supports the engine, transmission, front suspension and steering. His visual inspection, as well as mine, showed more then 75% of the passenger side cradle rusted away. An open case # 25736224 has been established by Chrysler customer support. My Pacifica was produced September 30, 2004 which is outside of the assembly dates established by Chrysler for extended warranty coverage. Failure of the cross member (cradle) would cause loss of steering, engine and transmission failure, and severed brake lines. Because this is a major safety issue it should be repaired by Chrysler corporation.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 292014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Chrysler 2005 Pacifica has significant engine cradle and other undercarriage rust issues. Today at my auto repair shop I took several photographs of the rusted engine cradle, undercarriage and other suspension areas with heavy rusting. Called Chrysler care 1-800-247-9753 and they kindly told me there was nothing they can do to assist in the repair cost. Numerous reports online of repairs being selectively reimbursed by Chrysler. How many complaints are required for a recall to be issued or is a class action developing for this issue. Thanks.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Sep 102014

Pacifica 6-cyl

On 9/10/2014 my wife was in a minor fender bender and our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica had to be taken away on a flatbed tow truck. Upon inspection of damage to our front end from the accident the body shop informed they found that our vehicle was unsafe to drive. In addition to the damage and upon my shock and horror they found our passenger side subframe/engine cradle was almost completely rusted out!!! the cost to repair/replace the subframe and labor will be $1500!!! I am in the process of having them replace it because my wife and 2 small children are in this SUV daily. I'm thankful that this was found now before it was too late and something god awful would have happened. I'm in the process of talking with Chrysler and am looking for assistance in this matter. Thank you for your help.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Sep 092014

Rusted/rotted subframe/cradle.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Sep 032014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While replacing a set of tires at a local shop, the service manager informed me of a rusted engine support frame. He also stated the danger of the engine falling out of the vehicle. The vehicle has been well maintained at the local Chrysler dealership with maintenance and inspection reports every 3000 miles. Never once has this rusted frame been reported at the Chrysler dealership! the last service report during an oil change stated, "checked over everything looked ok". the dealership has reported other maintenance and repair issues but never this one. Is Chrysler trying to hide this potential safety problem? I've been a long term owner of Chrysler products and never had a problem with a rusted-out engine support. The car currently sits in our garage with my wife refusing to drive the vehicle because of the potential safety issue.

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Aug 162014

Pacifica

Took my vehicle in to have a small radiator leak checked out and an oil change as I am planning a trip from sw Michigan to Chicago in a week. Much to my surprise, shock and dismay the mechanic told me that my cars frame and engine suspension is badly rusted and the engine can fall out of my car at any given time. As I drive my car for my job and also help take my grandchildren to and from school I am sickened by this news. Then to find out (I bought my car used) that Chrysler did a recall but then rescinded the recall really made me angry. I am now stuck with a car I cannot/should not drive and there is no way I can afford to purchase another vehicle. I will never buy a Chrysler product again. Shame on you Chrysler to not stand behind your product.

- Spring Lake, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Pacifica

There was a recall from Chrysler made for 2004-2005 Pacificas dealing with the engine cradle. They eroded and rusted through. Thousands upon thousand of cars were recalled. They than revoked it for a 2 month recall span. This problem has been deadly and fatal and has affected thousands of families. Chrysler refuses to fix the warranty that was organically wrote and sent out. They refuse to fix or acknowledge that the problem exist and is deadly for these people who drive the Pacifica as their " family transportation". in the past month my 2005 Pacifica has stalled out, died, had all roaders, breaks and control arms replaced. All new tires and now I find out my engine cradle has rusted out to where's its not drivable. Now the radio stopped working, the air wont turn on if blinkers are all, the entire electrical body has crapped out and Chrysler refuses to fix the problems they set the original recall for. There are thousands of people driving these cars with kids, what will it take for someone to fix this issue" death of thousands of kids? multiple accidents"

- Winthrop, MA, USA

Jul 292014

Pacifica

I recently took my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in to have the air conditioning system repaired and the mechanic called and told me that the engine cradle was rusted out and the car was not safe to drive. I did a quick google search and discovered that this is a known problem with Pacifica's. according to the information that I found, Chrysler originally distributed a letter indicating that it would cover 2004 and 2005 models only to send out a later letter drastically reducing the number of cars that would be covered on the extended warranty. It's apparent that this is a widespread issue. In 1998 Ford recalled 2.6 million vehicles for a similar issue. Chrysler should follow suit and do the same thing.

- Central City, PA, USA

Aug 112014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Pacifica. The car was in for body work, when a mechanic noticed severe rusting on the frame. He stated that the engine, could fall through the body frame! I did a google search and found hundreds of complaints about the problem. There is a story from a tv station in Florida covering this story. www.nbcmiami.com/investigations/some-Chrysler-Pacifica-owners-say-they've-had-dangerous-corrosion-problems-with-the-popular-minivan-243624441.html. This is a engineering failure according to my mechanic, who stated they did not included enough drain plugs. My daughter drives this car and I contacted Chrysler and they say it is past the warranty. This is unacceptable an engine should never be able to fall out of its mountings!!!!!!

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jul 142014

Pacifica 6-cyl

After taking our 2005 Pacifica to a Chrysler dealership to be looked at for rattling and knocking noises in the front end and complaints of the car sounding like it was going to fall apart, especially when driving over bumpy roads; I was advised that the engine cradle, subframe, sway bar links and frame bushings needed to be replaced due to rust and corrosion. The cost would be between $3000 and $4500. We were advised the car was very unsafe to drive. We asked the dealership to take pictures of the front end when they put it up on the lift. When we received the pictures via email, we were horrified by what we saw. We were grateful that we were not involved in what could have been a tragic accident had we not taken the car in to be looked at. We wondered why this happened as we have 3 other cars older than this car. They have been inspected and do no have this problem. After some investigating we have found out this is a common problem with this vehicle, year and make and Chrysler is well aware of it, they have no plans to do a recall or advise owners of the problem, or at least not until there is a fatality or some horrific accident due to this faulty product Chrysler is putting in their vehicles. We have lost all faith in Chrysler.they must think very little of human life.

- Appleton, WI, USA