Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Aug 112010

I was having my vehicle inspected and was informed that my engine cradle was rusting through. I checked out the problem on line and found out that this is a recognized problem with 2004 Pacifica's and that Chrysler has offered an extended warranty due to manufactures defect. However there is only a one month period (in-service date) that applies to the warranty. You can put your fist through the engine cradle. Engine vibrates and we are concerned that it will fall out of the car and kill someone. We wont let our kids drive it anymore and cant afford to replace it. It is apparent that this is a common safety problem that could result in serious injury and Chrysler not only made no attempt to contact buyers, but also fails to accept responsibility for the manufactures defect. Please do your jobs and protect us from this obvious defect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 052014

Pacifica 6-cyl

NHTSA please notice how many people have submitted this problem. Over 50 just since this January. Subframe corrosion to the point the mechanic didn't even think it should be driven home. Engine, transmission, front wheels could all fall at any moment. Why hasn't anyone done anything about this" I see over 50 people have complained about this very problem since only this January. Luckily we noticed it, hate to think of all the other Pacifica drivers out there that have no idea the danger they are in. What will it take? one death? two deaths? how many people, Chrysler? this is obviously a major problem and needs to be fixed at no cost to the consumer. Who has $2500 to repair their car" not us. Will be contacting Chrysler to no avail I'm sure but worth a try.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Feb 242014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While operating my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica limited edition I heard a loud clunking, popping, sound coming from my front end, which was exacerbated when I turned either left, or right. Also, I have a constant shaking which I feel through my steering wheel, which becomes more pronounced while I am braking. Anytime I drive over any type of bump, pothole, or even just an uneven road surface it clunks. It sometimes makes a clunking sound even when I am operating on an even road surface. As I start pulling away from a stopped position, I often feel, and hear a jerking & lugging, which sounds like the engine is moving around inside the sub frame (engine mounts). I brought the vehicle to a local independent mechanic who informed me that the sub frame was so rotted, that the control arm has pulled off of the sub frame. He also stated that the part of the sub frame that holds the engine in place, is so rotted that the engine could actually break free from the vehicle, and could result in a serious crash. He showed me several holes, where the sub frame has actually rotted completely through, and I am able to see out the other side of the metal. He said that it would cost me thousands of dollars to replace the rotted parts. I am a stage 4 terminal cancer patient, and need my vehicle to travel back & forth, 60+ miles, for the treatments necessary to keep me alive. I am not able to work, and therefore cannot afford to pay the costs required to repair, and/or replace the rotted parts on my vehicle, as well as the damage that the rotted parts have caused to other parts of my auto. I had another mechanic check my vehicle, for a second opinion. He told me that there is no way that this is normal wear, rusting, or rot, for a vehicle that is not even 9 years old. He said exterior body panel rust, or rot could be very possible, but definitely not rot in the sub frame.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Feb 262014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Our regular mechanic has determined that the undercarriage of my car is rusted and rotted to the point where it is unsafe to drive. Car was brought in due to electrical failure as mentioned above. I have never received recall notices. I spoke with a Chrysler rep today and there is nothing we can do because its not with in the recall time frame.

- Bridgewater , MA, USA

Jan 202014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Found out in December 2013 getting tires, that engine cradle had serious rust and to watch it. Engine light came on in January 2014, and car needed transmission work. Mechanic took frame off and it rained rust particles from the horribly corroded engine cradle frame. Called Chrysler, wanting to speak with supervisor. I was told that a supervisor would call me within 24 hrs. Never happened. Called again a week later, and that operator found out my original message was never delivered to a supervisor. And now I"M waiting again for 24 hrs for someone to call me.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 252014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Excessive rusting of engine cradle. Possibility of front end of subframe falling out of the car.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Jan 172014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My Chrysler Pacifica was diagnosed with a bad engine cradle, cradle is rusted, has a long rust hole about 7 inches long, will need a cradle replacement, frame is unsafe. Some 04's-05's were recalled for same problem, mine wasn't included in the recall for some reason, I'm having the same problem everyone else is. Contacted Chrysler and said there wasn't anything they could do for me, its definitely a safety issue.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Dec 272013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have had my vehicle since 2008. I took it in for a oil change and was told that the subframe/engine cradle was rotted and unsafe. I live in oh. And was told by Chrysler, since my vehicle was originally sold in AZ. That it is not covered to have the engine cradle replaced. The vehicle is a 2005 and have been in a "salt state" for 5 years. I located a letter online that was sent out and it doesn't state where the vehicle was purchase would be covered, but place of operation. To me 5 years of oh winters and salt has been the place of operation. After searching out the problem concerning the engine cradle, I have found that it has been a big problem.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Sep 232013

Pacifica 6-cyl

We bought our 05 Pacifica a couple months ago used we were aware of the engine cradle being lose we then found out it was corrode out on the right side of the motor and steering rack problem and was wondering if there is a recall on either of these items we see that alot of 05 have the same problem were can I take my car to get it fixed.

- Cadiz, OH, USA

Nov 152013

Pacifica 6-cyl

When driving the vehicle it shakes on passenger side some awful, scary too feels like its gonna fall down on the street or the tire is gonna fall off.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 122013

Pacifica 6-cyl

On November 12th 2013, I took my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica to be inspected. I was told the vehicle could not pass inspection since the front sub frame was rotted and the vehicle should not be driven. I was also told rear sub frame bushings and the frame itself was weak. The car only has 127359 miles on it. This is unreal !!!!!!! I called Chrysler to no avail. I was wondering has anyone thought class action suit ??

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Oct 292013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Vehicle was submitted to authorized New York inspection station for yearly state-required inspection. Vehicle failed inspection. Inspector cited multiple holes in the "cradle" frame member supporting engine, steering, and suspension parts. "cradle" was completely perforated in several places by corrosion, and showed signs of additional corrosion which would ultimately lead to more holes. Cradle was judged structurally compromised. Inspection station consulted NY dmv and it was determined and reported to me that vehicle is unsafe, and that replacement of cradle would be required to return vehicle to service and to pass New York state inspection. It was explained to me that a minor impact -- such as encountering a pothole at speed, or hitting an object with the frame or body of the vehicle -- could cause collapse of the front end structure of the vehicle, loss of steering control, loss of the engine from the engine compartment, collapse of the suspension system, and potential resultant fire, explosion, and injury or loss of life to occupants of vehicle or others in the vicinity. The consumer stated the vehicle left his wife stranded. She was unable to steer or brake while driving many times, the previous year. On one occasion while driving, the engine light illuminated, and the vehicle just stopped, leaving his wife in the middle of the road. The consumer replaced a faulty sensor. Updated 03/27/14

- Stony Point, NY, USA

Oct 212013

Pacifica 6-cyl

While in for repairs, our mechanic diagnosed that the engine cradle of our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring AWD sports tourer 4-dr has rusted almost completely through and advised that the vehicle is unsafe to drive without immediate repairs. According the mechanic, the engine cradle supports both the engine and the front steering/suspension assembly components, that could cause the driver to lose control upon failure, and cause a crash. After conducting research on various websites, I found that numerous consumers/owners of Pacifica models manufactured between 2004 and 2006 are reporting this issue and Chrysler is aware of this specific problem and listed it as a possible defective part. In response, Chrysler has issued an extended warranty, limited to certain states (which they refer to as 'salt belt states") covering repairs for this problem. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where we purchased it, examined and submitted a request to Chrysler for coverage, which was denied. We were told that our vehicle was not covered because we did not live in one of these defined "salt state zones". despite offering to provide evidence from kydot and local county transportation offices verifying that our area does in fact experience a high volume of roadway salt use, Chrysler continues to deny extending any coverage for the affected vehicle. Given the seriousness of the problem, and the large number of consumers potentially affected, I would ask that NHTSA & ODI conduct an independent investigation and negotiate with Chrysler to broaden the coverage to include any Pacifica exhibiting signs of this defect.

- Florence, KY, USA

Sep 042013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Was informed by our mechanic that the front crossmember/engine cradle/K-frame had rusted through and that this was a common problem with this make/model/year vehicle. Chrysler issued a recall due to this defect, but it only covered manufacturing dates up to March 31, 2004 and our vehicle was manufactured in June of 2004. I have seen that this continued to be a very common problem with vehicles after the March manufacture date and called Chrysler to see what could be done as this is a very expensive repair of a known issue that had been recalled on other vehicles. Chrysler stated that this was not covered by recall and there was nothing they were willing to do to assist us.

- Old Orchard Beach, ME, USA

Sep 062013

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica and I was experiencing problems with a "clicking noise" coming from underneath the front end of my car. Upon inspection by my mechanic it became evident that the "engine cradle" which holds up engine was completely rotted through with about 80% of visible corrosion (I really wish I could actual attach pictures of corrosion provided to me by my mechanic). Upon further investigation, I discovered that this "engine cradle" corrosion problem has been acknowledged by Chrysler and an extended warranty was issued to repair this part for 04 and 05 Pacifica's. extended warranty letter id is: 0004617/#45543/X26...however, when I contacted Chrysler, I was informed that based on the VIN # of my car, I did not qualify for Chrysler extended warranty for this issue (10 yrs or 150,000 miles) - the letter Chrysler issued for this extended warranty clearly states that it covers 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica's, and even though I fall within the model year, geographical region, and the 10yr/150,000mile guidelines of extended warranty, Chrysler claims that my 2005 was not manufactured within some narrow manufacturing window to qualify for this extended warranty. In closing, unfortunately, due to financial constraints, and the costly nature of this repair (2-3K), I have no choice but to drive this car the way it is at the moment - I do understand that it is clearly unsafe to drive this car and it probably shouldn't be on the road - however, I do have a valid state inspection sticker from previous year, so my car is "legal to drive", and I really have no choice but to continue to utilize this car until I can come up with a resolution (all I can do at this point is keep my fingers crossed and pray that I don't cause any harm to myself or anybody else). What should I / can I do to next? can you please help me and advise accordingly. Thank you sincerely

- Melrose, MA, USA

Aug 212013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I recently took my 2005 Chrysler pacficia to the shop to have the pulleys changed on the engine for the serpentine belt, and new tires and alignment. When the car was on the lift, my mechanic pointed out to me that the engine cradle is rusted and will need to be replaced at a cost of $5000. The car only has 94K miles on it. This seems to be a wide spread issue. I am the 2nd owner, the 1st was a lease through Chrysler and I purchased the car from a local Chrysler dealer in 2008. Going to start contacting Chrysler and the attorney generals office in MA to see what can be done since there is no recall on this.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Jun 062013

Pacifica 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Pacifica 107000 miles rusted engine cradle. Garage kept and serviced only at a Chrysler dealership, service dept never told me the engine cradle was extremely rusted and cracked. After several calls and emails to Chrysler corporation they refused to work out any financial assistance on repair bills.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my Pacifica in to get the tires rotated and was told I had a cracked frame and they would not rotate them. I checked to see if I had a recall and I did not. Now I have a car that is worth less than what it would cost to fix it. Judging by all the complaints this is a serious problem and I am just thankful my family didn't get hurt because of it. I was told the subframe hold the engine so it is not safe to drive because of the crack.

- Three Rivers , MI, USA

May 302013

I just bought the car end of May 2013, when ever I hit speeds 45 or above I get shaking from front end.brought to garage had tires balanced, still did it so I went back. Had all 4 tiers rotated and balanced.seemed better but as my speed increased and more I drive it gets worst.I feel very unsafe driving, it feels like wheels are coming off.I do a lot of driving and with my dogs and grandchildren almost daily.can't afford to fix expensive issue when making weekly payments on my new/used car. At a loss of problem and resolving it.can I bring it to manufacturer or garage and make Chrysler pay for the problems from what ever the obvious defects are?

- Laconia, NH, USA

Aug 192013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Last year at time of inspection my repair guy said the subframe looked good - he had seen a lot of complaints about them lately. This year is a whole different story - the subframe is rusting out even though my car has the electronic rust inhibitor installed since I bought in 2007. I called to check my VIN and of course no recalls are listed. For the amount of complaints you would think that they would revisit this issue.

- Binghamton, NY, USA