CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

May 302013

Pacifica

I just bought the car end of May 2013, when ever I hit speeds 45 or above I get shaking from front end.brought to garage had tires balanced, still did it so I went back. Had all 4 tiers rotated and balanced.seemed better but as my speed increased and more I drive it gets worst.I feel very unsafe driving, it feels like wheels are coming off.I do a lot of driving and with my dogs and grandchildren almost daily.can't afford to fix expensive issue when making weekly payments on my new/used car. At a loss of problem and resolving it.can I bring it to manufacturer or garage and make Chrysler pay for the problems from what ever the obvious defects are?

- Laconia, NH, USA

Aug 192013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Last year at time of inspection my repair guy said the subframe looked good - he had seen a lot of complaints about them lately. This year is a whole different story - the subframe is rusting out even though my car has the electronic rust inhibitor installed since I bought in 2007. I called to check my VIN and of course no recalls are listed. For the amount of complaints you would think that they would revisit this issue.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jul 082013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Car was taken to local repair shop for minor front end work. Mechanic reported that there was rusting of the cradle and that it would have to be replaced. Cost estimated @ $2,000. Spoke to dealer and Chrysler customer service and was told that the service bulletin covered cars made 2/23/2004 through 3/31/2004. Mine was made 3/14/2005. This was an executive car that I bought used with 18,000 miles on it. Now has 126,000. There are many complaints about this issue and it does not seem credible that the problem stopped on 3/31/2004. I have been a loyal Chrysler customer so, maybe that will help based upon some other items I have read.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Jun 172013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Subframe corrosion - rust.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Jun 302010

Pacifica

In June of 2010 my wives 2005 Chrysler Pacifica with about 63000 miles began to make funny noises from the front end it was taken to her uncle who is a mechanic. Upon inspection he noticed that the engine cradle had several large holes rusted through the cradle, one was so large that it was 6" X 3" he stated that this is not normal for a part to rust like this and should take it to the dealer where we bought it so the following day we took to roberts Chrysler and told that this is not a safety issue and they would replace the craddle for $3500 and when I asked about other Pacificas with the same issue is was told that this part is only covered in high salt areas of the us. I live in Connecticut. So I contacted Chrysler and gave them the VIN number and was told that my car was not covered by any warranty. I had then searched online again found many many Pacificas with the same issue and several Pacificas that had there registrations pulled because the state inspections would not allow these Pacificas on the roads because the engines will fall out if this is not a safety issue then what is ? since then the car has had to have the entire front end replaced including ball joint both sides upper and lower all tie rods. In May 2013 my wife called me and told me that she had broken down on the highway doing about 65mph and was stuck in the travel lane and lost the steering and she could not turn the wheel the ct state police arrived and the could see the that she had to really fight to turn the wheel I any direction. We called aaa and was able to get the car off to the shoulder

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jun 302010

- Meriden, CT, USA

May 072013

Pacifica

Sub-frame is totally rotted out!!!!!!!!!!!

- Coventry, RI, USA

Dec 262012

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car into the dealer where I purchased it and have it reg. Service I was looking to have a oil change and a sticker. They changed my oil $29 and rejected my car for a rotted frame and told I should not drive it. Service manager also told me they Chrysler would pay for the part $4500 and labor but I was responsible for $300 ded. And all the parts that needed to be replaced if any were damaged, motor mounts etc. No loaner or rental this was not my bad the car was great till that day I have a $5000 loan and over $5000 worth of work to get a sticker. When I went in to sch. Work they said deal off, part was sent back I cried for real.

- Wrentham , MA, USA

Mar 272013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Driving down the street and the car started shaking and then something sounded like it snapped and the steering wheel was almost locked and could not steer. Had it towed to the mechanics and he said the under frame and the brackets attached from the chasis to the frame holding up the engine had broken off. I got home looked online and found out that there are a lot of complaints about rusting in the under frame and that it is a very unsafe condition.

- Orange, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and going over a bump, she heard a loud noise in the front end. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. After diagnosis, the contact was advised that the front driver and passenger side struts were weak and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the front struts. Immediately after having the repairs done, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 93,000. The current mileage was approximately 95,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Grinnell, IA, USA

Dec 282012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Working on the car notice the subframe is rusted thru on ths passenger side. There are many issue logged in on the internet with this particular defect. It is my understanding there is a recall for certain vins. My vehicle was built on Aug 20, 2004. After contacting Chrysler they say the car is covered under a extended warranty. My problem is if I hadn't looked under the car this issue may have led to a catastrophic failure.

- Wallingford , CT, USA

Dec 192012

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my car into a garage in waterford, ct for suspension problems. On raising it, he found that the sub-frame is rotting badly due to rust. There are several holes in the frame and he told me it was dangerous to drive. I contacted Dodge and they have opened a case - 22909122 they asked me to take it into a Chrysler dealership which I am doing tomorrow. They will pass on an inspection report.

- East Lyme, CT, USA

Nov 132012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Took 2005 Pacifica to our mechanic to check a noise in the front suspension components and was informed that the frame cross-member was severely perforated by rust and that the vehicle was unsafe to drive due to flexing. This cross member supports the engine, transmission and front suspension components. On-line research shows a number of similar complaints for the 2004 and 2005 model years. Mechanic called a local Chrysler dealer and was told that a recall (#13-001-12) was issued by Chrysler but that our vehicle did not fall within the specified date range. Took photos of the damage and are awaiting repair estimates. Will contact the manufacturer however others report that the manufacturer has refused to fix this failure occurring in vehicles beyond the recall dates.

- Middlebury, IN, USA

Aug 242012

Pacifica

My very well kept 2005 Pacifica failed inspection at my local mechanic due to a completely rotted cross member frame. Substantial rotting in multiple spots. Many holes. Took car to Chrysler dealer and they inspected car and told me they had never seen a worse frame. Quoted me in writing, $5779.98 to repair!!! opened a case with Chrysler to find out if they would do anything for me. Yea right. They even went as far as to say the dealer said they only gave me a parts list, not a quote. Liars! said it was normal wear and tear in New York. Cars built from 2/23/04-3/31/04 were given an extension to 150,000 miles warranty for such problem. Chrysler knows about this problem and are not taking responsibility for it. Needs to be a recall! I am going to repair with used cross member for $1500 and I'm selling it afterwards. Do not want any part of Chrysler again!

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Apr 202012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Sub frame rusted out, declared unsafe to drive.

- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA

Dec 012011

Pacifica

A letter was sent to some 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica owners that the front engine cradle and suspension mount frame warranty was being extended to 15 years or 150,000 miles to owners in states that use road salt because off corrosion problems. They go on to carelessly explain that if your are not experiencing vibration and shaking you need to do nothing-- by the time its that bad its almost to late! mine was not shaking but I had my Pacifica inspected any way and found rust holes in front frame, one was the size of my fist and on the other side may be three or four fingers wide. I stopped driving the vehicle immediately and called the phone # listed on the notification letter twice, both times they denied a problem because it was not listed as a recall on their web site and besides my vehicle did not fall into the VIN block "? there are cases listed on the internet where state dmv inspection stations have failed these vehicles because they were unsafe to drive because of frame corrosion. I am having the engine cradle replaced at my expense. How can a manufacturer have such a flippant attitude about a known serious safety issue" does this fall under a hidden warranty or recall.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jan 012007

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the rear suspension would leak at any time. The dealer repaired the rear output half shaft lange and right rear axle numerous times, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and assisted with the repair costs to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 51,289 and the current mileage was 78,000. Updated 11/01/11 the rear differential was repaired three separate times, due to a leak. Upated 06/13/12

- Jackson, WI, USA

Aug 312011

Pacifica 6-cyl

Took the car to local Chrysler dealer (bournival Chrysler Jeep, york, me) for annual inspection. Was told car could not be inspected because the front cross member had rusted through in spots.(car had been inspected at the same facility a year ago and no problem was found) the problem was confirmed by an independent mechanic. Car has 91,500 miles. I have read of Chrysler offering a 10-year, 100,000 warranty on this problem but neither the service manager nor NHTSA could confirm. There are dozens of instances of this problem, both in the United States and Canada listed on edmunds (townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0ec024/258). this is a dangerous situation that should be cleared up by Chrysler.

- York Harbor, ME, USA

Sep 012009

Pacifica 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Pacifica. Consumer states defective airbag the consumer stated the air bag light illuminated in September 2009. Also, there were problems with the transmission control module, brakes, wheel sensors, a clogged throttle body and for the past 18 months there has been a popping sound coming from the left side of the steering components. The dealership made repairs three times, but the popping sound eventually came back. The drive shaft was replaced three time and the rack and pinion was replaced three times.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Oct 142009

Pacifica

I own a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that was bought brand new in October 2004. In October 2009, I was driving home during afternoon rush hour. I noticed my car smoking and attempted just to make it home. About 20 minutes later, my car began to hesitate and turned off once or twice when I stopped at stop lights. Eventually, the car shut down completely on a major thoroughfare and would not restart. After being towed to the nearest dealership, I discovered that the radiator hose had been blown off and a hole basically ripped in the coolant jug as a result. Repair cost: $564. Prior to releasing the vehicle, the service technicians noticed how loudly and roughly the car was running and did further tests, to discover that the motor mounts are broken and in need of repair, which caused the problem that I paid nearly $600 to fix. Projected cost: An additional $900. That's a total of $1500 for a four-year-old car!!! I've searched and have seen numerous reports of repeated motor mount breaks and problems. Called Chrysler who basically is turning a blind eye to the numerous complaints.

- Columbia, MD, USA