2006 Chrysler Pacifica steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Pacifica:

2006 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments

Mar 232016

I had taken my car in a week ago for an issue with the car making like a popping sound when I turn hard. Well after mechanic drove it and then put it on a rack to take a look underneath and do their inspection they told us we cannot drive vehicle as it is unsafe. The cradle was completely rusted and I could stick my hand in it. At any point in time it could have completely fell off and wrecked my vehicle. It could have been catastrophic. This is dangerous and Chrysler is aware of the issue but refuses to do anything about it. Now we are going to be stuck with the repair bill. I called Chrysler and spoke with an agent named brittney whose only response was I am sorry there is nothing we can do. Even after explaining any type of accident with my children in the car could have been catastrophic. They do not care. Something needs to be done to cover all vehicles. I only have 75,000 miles on the vehicle and the cradle is the only part rusted. Chrysler does not care about any of that just that the vehicle does not fall within the 2004 or 2005 range. Please help something needs to be done before someone loses their life over this issue.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Nov 032015

Battery light came on, steering started to lock up, then battery light when off. This happened when driving my children to school on highway speed limit was 35 mph, I got to school, turned into parking lot, school entrance, battery light came on lost steering completely. Thank goodness no cars or children were in the parking lot. I did not hit anything.thankfully.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Oct 082015

Front sub frame rust through. Was told frame could crack or break causing loss of control of car. Needs $3,100 repair at Chrysler dealer to make safe..

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Aug 192015

When taking my 2006 Chrysler Pacifica to be serviced for broken motor mount. My vehicle was brought in the shop, not even 30 minutes passed and I was contacted immediately by the mechanic, that in the process of replacing my motor mount he noticed that my cradle was rotted out and very unsafe to drive because this was a very important component on my vehicle, (steering, engine, transmission and ect.) are being held up by the cradle, and the mechanic stated that the engine can fall out at anytime! I am in fear for my family and I, to know that we travel at high speeds on the free way. We live in a city where there are many pot holes and craters in the streets we drive on, and to know that we can be in danger is insane. He quoted me around $3,000 to repair and I cannot afford to cover this issue. There has to be something done by the Chrysler Corp. Hopefully this speaks for many owners of this same vehicle.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

May 162007

The car since almost new has had an intermittent problem with the steering locking up has happened many times turning slowly and has happened numerous times at speeds to 40 mph and the only way to turn it is to shut it off and restart very dangerous condition. I would like to know if this complaint has been filed by other owners. Thanks.

- Buckley, WA, USA

Jul 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The ABS system is malfunctioning. I have had new rotors, new calipers and new pads put on the car. The ABS light continues to go on & off. When braking it intermittently fails to brake appropriately. It either brakes with the brake pedal not catching properly or it doesn't brake at the correct time. It is slow to respond to pressure on the brake pedal. Last week the power steering stopped working when I braked and was trying to turn left onto another road. It started working again after about 10-15 seconds.

- Gurley, AL, USA

Mar 202012

On March 20th 2012 I was driving home from work when the driver side strut mount broke, slightly allowing the strut to damage my hood and break my inner tie rod end. I immediately parked the vehicle called aaa and had it towed to my house. On March 23 I purchased a new strut mount and on the 24th replaced the broken one with the new one. Unfortunately I did the work myself and didn't notice my inner tie rod broke. Which led to my vehicle needing to be checked by my mechanic about 8 months later when my outer tie rod end gave way damaging in the process the wheel bearings and the driver side axle. I had everything fixed and ran into no more problems until July 17th 2013 when my front end alignment started to slip and a noticeable knocking noise started coming from my front end. I immediately set up an appointment to have my vehicle serviced at kelly Chrysler dealership in lehigh valley and they were able to get me in a week later. It took them roughly a week to fix my car. But they replaced my upper engine mount, front lower engine mount, L/F inner outer tie rod ends and removed a damaged exhaust shield. But they still couldn't' tell me why my alignment was off and what the knocking noise was. Towards the end of August my passenger side strut mount broke and I had it replaced right away. Then again in November this time completely ripping through the hood. Then again in February, March and now today 5/7/2014 I noticed the passenger side strut mount is on the verge of breaking again. After speaking to a couple of Pacifica owners in my area I have come to find out these problems are common along with engine shut offs and check engine lights being on for no reason. Its apparent that the 3/8th inch thick plate that the struts sit on are not adequate enough to handle the weight of the vehicles along with the constant jerking motion off the car from the sticky gas peddle.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Mar 062014

The right front wheel completely disconnected from the tie rods so there was completely no steering. I was turning from a main road to a side road going approximately 15 mph. I am including a repair bill from a Chrysler-Jeep dealer and I feel this incident was a factory defect with the vehicle at this low mileage to come apart. I therefore would appreciate to refund my expenses $1,279.90 plus $45 towing expense. Updated 3/31/14

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Feb 282014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While driving around a circle I yielded then slowly proceeded and heard a loud noise from front driver side wheel area. The steering went. I was able to carefully get it to a mechanic come to find out the cradle had rusted, broke and fell affecting the steering. He informed me it was dangerous for me to be driving it and that I was lucky I didn't get into an accident, especially with my 2 kids in the car with me. After processing a claim with Chrysler, having it towed there (at my expense) and having the regional manager take a look they are not taking responsibility for this dangerous situation. I did some research. The 2004 & 2005 cradles are being covered by Chrysler but not the 2006 model which has the exact same frame. I have 2 children, luckily have managed to pay off the car with no payments and now stuck paying for a rental car until I fight this issue further. (like many working pay check to check to get by) I find it ironic that their very own service manager was "shocked" that they aren't offering to fix it and take responsibility. I could have easily been driving on the parkway 70mph when it broke and my steering was compromised ending in a fatal accident. So I'm posting on here with the hopes of someone, somewhere helping me with this process. I know from searching there are many other people out there dealing with the same rust issue and feeling helpless. I can't afford a car payment or the $3000 to get it fixed nor should I !!! it has $87,500 miles on it and many more years on it to drive had this not occurred. I also don't want it on my conscious should someone die from this issue in the future. Someone please help.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Apr 012012

Twice my car has froze up (car felt like it was in slow, stiff motion) while driving in the rain going about;1st time 20mph and 2nd time of issue 30mph. The battery light would come on with the ding sound to alert you and then it would freeze up while driving down a road and luckily in both incidents I was able to get over and out of the way of traffic. I would put that car in to park, shut it off, and turn it back on and it would drive normal again. Four different mechanics has tested the car but can not find the problem to correct this issue. And in both incidents I had my 5 year old daughter in the car with me. If I would have been unable to get out of the way this would have been a different letter. Also another issues is the back tailgate will not stay up in cold weather and has come crashing down on my head more than once. That is very painful and startling to have happen to you when you are putting groceries in your car. My children are not allowed to place anything in the back because I fear that they will be crushed and that also has been looked at my mechanics who can not find a plausible cause for this to happen either.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Jul 092013

Pacifica 6-cyl

After starting the vehicle and engaging the transmission into reverse the vehicle engine failed. I then turned off the ignition and returned the vehicle to the park position. At this point I decided to try it again, only this time without the ac and stereo on. The vehicle started right up just fine and I let it idle for about 1-1.5 minutes to let the idle stabilize. (it was not real stable). I then put the transmission back into reverse and backed up maybe 2 ft and the engine failed again.(now I am in the road) I repeated my second attempt and let it idle 2-3 minutes, put it into reverse and it was shaky but stayed running and it drove fine after for several days. About a week later my wife told me that this problem had happen to her 2-3 times over a couple days time. I have had it happen 2 additional times and today I was having to put the vehicle into neutral when stopped or idling to keep the engine running for a short 20 mile drive home from work. I have read many forums as we consumers seem to be doing much more of, and this is not a new problem. It needs to be fixed. Budget cuts, sequestration and furloughs are making things very tight for a lot of us out here and we depend on good quality transportation to get to the jobs we thankfully still have so that we can do our part to contribute the economic recovery of this great nation. Do the right thing Chrysler!

- Topeka, KS, USA

Mar 072013

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while having maintenance done on the vehicle, the technician advised that the front passenger and driver side tie rod did not have any grease fittings. As a result, both tie rods needed to be replaced. In addition, the contact mentioned that all four wheels were corroded causing air to escape. The vehicle was taken to the an independent mechanic. The technician decided to use a power brush to clean the wheel and applied a rubber sealant. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 22,000. Updated 5/9/13 the right and left outer tie rods were replaced.

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Feb 022012

When it is raining outside or I go over a puddle, my steering wheel locks up. I noticed lately that the battery light goes on as well but then goes off after I regain control of the steering wheel. I am soooo scared to drive this car and don't know what to do. I cannot replicate this issue because of the fact that it has to be raining for it to happen and at the same time its dangerous to drive under wet conditions! help!!

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Sep 162010

Pacifica 6-cyl

We purchased our 2006 Pacifica used in the summer of 2009.I had an instance where my ABS light would come on randomly and when I would brake it would skid. Chrysler did fix that problem. I have had at least 6 situations since 2010 while driving at low speed 25 mph or less while turning left, my car stalls and I lose power and steering without any warning. Making it feel like my steering is locked, while stuck in the road momentarily. After each incident I am able to turn ignition off and restart with no problem. Two of these incidents I have been turning left into a busy intersection just missed being hit. This problem is completely random. It happens in all weather. I am terrified of being involved in a terrible accident, especially with my children in the vehicle. This is our family vehicle. We have roughly 60,000 miles on it currently. My husband and I have two children age 7 1/2 and 17 months old. The last time this happened I realized this was not a fluke, it is becoming more frequent. We took the vehicle to a certified Chrysler dealership on July 24, 2012. I get a call on July 25th around 2pm, from the service manager stating to me they find nothing wrong with my Pacifica!on the evening of July 24th, 2012 I google "my 2006 Chrysler Pacifica steering locks while turning left". I was horrified at the many complaints about my same situation. I called the service manager at kahlo immediately. The service manager told me on July 27th, 2012 that Chrysler says that unless they can duplicate the problem there is nothing they can do. They show no reports of this happening anywhere. I refuse to put my children back in this car, especially after reading about identical experiences. I had not read about any actual accidents with this happening. Is that what Chrysler is waiting for? someone to lose their life before they admit there is a problem.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Feb 192012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Driving 65mph, was on a bridge. Inside of car went totally black. Had to coast it to railing of bridge as there was no shoulder. Car completely stopped on its own. Saw smoke, waited for clearing in passing traffic. Fire erupted on driver's side under hood. Local fire department said it was the computer and battery. Had I not jumped out I would have been dead. Fired melted hood to grill and had to axed open to completely extinguish fire. There was no previous indication of electrical shortage.

- Robinson, TX, USA

Aug 102011

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the steering wheel malfunctioned. The vehicle was driving straight, but the steering wheel was turned completely to the left. As a result, the contact began to lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was successfully pulled over to the side of the road and a tow truck was notified. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Beattie, KS, USA

Sep 142009

The contact owns 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that whenever the weather was rainy or there were damp weather conditions, the power steering would fail without warning. The contact would attempt to maneuver the steering wheel as it would become increasingly hard and stiff. The dealer inspected the vehicle yet he was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jul 022010

My 2006 Chrysler Pacifica's wheel will completely lock up while driving no matter the rate of speed. The only way to get it unlocked is to put my car in park, turn off the ignition, then turn it back on. Imagine having to do this on the interstate! it's done this every once in a while since January 2010 but now July 2010 it does it every day. This is definitely not a power steering issue because I've dealt with that with a previous vehicle: This completely locks up. I've brought it to my mechanic and they can't find anything. Called Chrysler and they want me to bring it to a certified Chrysler and to call them back; supposedly I may or may not get assistance for this and from the looks of other complaints it's not happening. This isn't just the safety of my family but others around me.

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

May 142009

Everytime it ran, I have trouble with the power steering on my 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. It works great majority of the time except in the rain and definitely not if the road is wet. It stalls and I lose all power steering and the wheel tightens up. I'm forced to go in the direction at which the wheel is locked up. I've reported to Chrysler Dodge in san antonio but they say it's nothing they can do about it. It's a safety hazard and I'm afraid it's going to lead to a wreck when I can't complete a turn or stall in traffic. This has been ongoing since I bought the car in 2006. Today was another big rain day in san antonio, tx so it happened again and my husband contacted the dealer service department who once again said there is nothing they can do. Can someone do something" is this happening to other Pacifica drivers or has it happened? will someone have to die before anyone notice this is a problem"

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 032010

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at speeds of 25 mph in inclement weather, the vehicle lost power steering capabilities. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileages were 53,922.

- Glen Rock, NJ, USA