2006 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Pacifica:

2006 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 012016

Vehicle was brought in for alignment and I was informed the engine cradle is rotted out and will need to be replaced. I did some homework and learned this is a common problem with all Pacifica's. Chrysler has only repair roughly 7,000 vehicles made is 2004 during a one month period. This is a model/year wide problem. There is a class action lawsuit currently pending.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Sep 052016

My engine cradle is rusted through creating a safety hazard it has always been garaged.

- Sunbury, OH, USA

Jun 212016

On June 21, 2016 took vehicle to Chrysler dealer for emission repairs. Informed vehicle unsafe to drive due to rusted sub-frame and cradle which holds the engine. Went back and viewed vehicle. Entire cradle, I.e. sub-frame corroded. Never received recall. Owned vehicle since 2007. Estimate of repairs of $5,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 202015

Purchased car used with less than 85K miles. When I went to get it state inspected 1 week after purchase I was informed that the car is unsafe to drive due to engine cradle was rusted out. Repair estimates range from $3300 to over $4000. The car is less than 10 years old and under 100K miles. No help from the manufacturer. Many others with the same situation. This could be a potential life threatening situation for myself and my family. Car is worth as much as the repairs. The manufacturer should be made to make this right. Bad product. Even partial help with the repairs would help. Very disappointed in "american made".

- Wilmot, NH, USA

Apr 092016

The engine/suspension crossmember is severely rusted through. This type of corrosion is not evident elsewhere on the vehicle frame, only on this crossmember. This problem has gained national attention for at least two years yet Chrysler has chosen not to take responsibility for a manufacturing defect; namely inadequate anti-corrosion coating thickness. I spoke to a Chrysler representative today and they offered no assistance with the $3,050 repair/replacement cost of this failed component. I have all of my vehicle service done at a Chrysler dealership. I've had them inspect for this defect in the past but there were previously no reported issues. While the vehicle was in for routine oil change yesterday, the mechanic warmed me of the now obviously unsafe situation. In fact, I normally purchase a maintenance agreement through the dealership that lasts two years. They declined to sell me the contract siting that the engine could possibly fall out of the vehicle within that time. I'm very disappointed that Chrysler couldn't even offer to discount this sizable repair bill. I've found numerous news stories online about this exact same safety issue occurring around the us yet nothing seems to be done about it. Why?

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Mar 222016

While checking tires, noticed holes rusted through in the frame. Took the car to the garage and mechanic put it on hoist and saw the whole frame is rusted in the engine carriage and sides. Whole underside is ready to fall through. Can't be welded, just replaced.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 012015

I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica touring edition with less than 115,000 miles on it. The car runs flawlessly except for the sub frame rust corrosion that has eaten away the engine and car support underneath my car. I have read continuously that this is a common problem with this type of vehicle. My car is unsafe to drive and I fear I will get into an accident while driving it. I will be taking this car to Chrysler in paramus, NJ to find out what can be done on my behalf. Are there any recalls out there, or manufacturer warranties covering such major repairs. I am not in a position to purchase to new car right now. Please help.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Mar 082016

Driving with kids front of vehicle kept feeling as if the whole front end was about yo fall off. Mechanic sd probably tie rod ends and motor mount. Took to mechanic when they lifted the car my whole engine cradle was severly rusted, seperated and was told lucky engine didnt fall through while driving. I can not safely drive car and to repair is thousands of dollars! bought at a dealership Aug 2012 they will not help with repairs either. I still owe on my car and it could be life threatning to drive this car. Very upset but thankful me and the kids did not get hurt. The mechanics were in shock when they saw the rusted out engine cradle!

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 022015

My 2006 Pacifica has a rusted /rotted engine sub frame / cradle. The body and paint are near perfect. How can a part the holds the engine/trans/suspension deteriorate so badly new sub frame is a list price of $3500.the cost of repair is more than the car is worth. It is otherwise a perfect car. No help from Chrysler. My only option is to try and find a used sub frame from Florida or Arizona.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Dec 182015

I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica, have had it 2 years now. When I took it to the garage to get an oil change my mechanic called me over to the service bay to show me that he had found that the engine sub-frame was almost rusted through. The mechanic went on to tell me that when it finally rusts through that the engine will drop down on to the road and cause me to loss all steering control and that the engine may slide up under the car thus resulting in an accident, I have to drive a major freeway everyday to get to work and if that happens to me there is a good chance that I or someone else could get seriously hurt/and killed. When I contacted my local Chrysler dealer he all but laughed when I asked what Chrysler was going to do about this safety hazard, he told me that Chrysler is not going to recall these cars for this problem and that I was on my own in getting it fixed, now I am stuck with a car that has no value and is dangerous to drive. What can I do?

- Reading, MI, USA

Oct 202015

Engine cradle rusted and is unsafe to drive I called Chrysler they said too bad for me I have to pay for all repairs.

- Ellwood City, PA, USA

Oct 082015

Front sub frame rust through. Was told frame could crack or break causing loss of control of car. Needs $3,100 repair at Chrysler dealer to make safe..

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Jun 012015

My sub-frame is rusting out on my car. I see that there is a class action lawsuit regarding this hazardous condition. By doing research, I understand that the engine cradle can fall out. I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica touring.

- Maple Hts, OH, USA

May 282014

A few weeks before this happened, I noticed my rear tire leaning outward. Took it too the shop a few times wondering what was the cause. It was determined from a dealership it was the struts. I was told the Pacifica was known for it. So I had the struts replaced. It helped but the tire was still leaning, it wasn't perfect like the rest. I was told that there was no other reason because everything looked good underneath and suspension. I looked several times, myself. Not seeing any major rust or anything unsafe. Then driving on the freeway 150 mile's from home, at 70 mph, a hard bang and the rear end lifted up and dropped down. Car uncontrollable. Finally able to stop and realize the subframe dropped right out of the car leaving my rear differential on the ground. It had rusted from the top of the subframe down. Looked on line and seen it was happening to other people. Called Chrysler was told my problem. Hence my first american made car and my last. Pos!!!

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Aug 192015

When taking my 2006 Chrysler Pacifica to be serviced for broken motor mount. My vehicle was brought in the shop, not even 30 minutes passed and I was contacted immediately by the mechanic, that in the process of replacing my motor mount he noticed that my cradle was rotted out and very unsafe to drive because this was a very important component on my vehicle, (steering, engine, transmission and ect.) are being held up by the cradle, and the mechanic stated that the engine can fall out at anytime! I am in fear for my family and I, to know that we travel at high speeds on the free way. We live in a city where there are many pot holes and craters in the streets we drive on, and to know that we can be in danger is insane. He quoted me around $3,000 to repair and I cannot afford to cover this issue. There has to be something done by the Chrysler Corp. Hopefully this speaks for many owners of this same vehicle.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Discovered excessive rust on the subframe and underbody members after trying to diagnose a problem with the steering. Specifically, a "clicking" noise had appeared unexpectedly during turning and the steering wheel had undue resistance while turning. After checking for tire problems and other issues, a mechanic diagnosed the problem as a subframe failure due to excessive rust. He mentioned that if the rust progressed too far, the engine could literally fall out of the vehicle while I was driving. This issue demands a recall. Updated 09/15/15

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 202015

Update on earlier report. Had an independent sevice station check condition of rusting engine cradle on 7/21/15. Mechanic reported that the rot damage is a safety issue, car should not be driven. Rear engine cradle cross member rusting out over the years driven, unknown to me. Also brought car to Chrysler sevice station for their mechanic's inspection on 7/ 27/15. Reported that the cradle was very rusty. Large rusted out holes in the stucture are very easy to see. I was told the car was O.K. to drive today and that the engine could fall through at any time later. Not a safety issue ? was also told I could keep comming back repetedly at 52$ a pop to have them check on the progression of the rot. Quoted $2800 for repair, car not worth the cost, nor can I afford the cost. I was rushed out of the sevice area after being handed the bill. No talk about how the cradle was manufactured poorly, only that I could spray some type of rust inhibitor on the effected areas. Chrysler has had my three young children and wife sitting in a car that could have caused them serious injury or death. I have since found out that Chrysler knows about the faulty product and continued to produce more. I depended on this car everyday, I was happy with it untill now. I was happy with Chrysler intill now, they need to step-up and fix what they know was not safe to start with. My car now sits in the driveway untill I can take further action.

- Shorewood, WI, USA

Jul 172015

Engine cradle rusted through lower section on each end. Noticed at onset of oil change.

- Shorewood, WI, USA

Jul 032013

Traveling at 35 - 40 mph and cars came to a stop and no matter how hard I pushed the brakes, the car would not stop. Steering wheel and under steering wheel airbags deployed, burning my shin. Upon starting the car at the body shop, the dashboard caught on fire due to the airbag modular. Fire destroyed my vehicle.

- Margate, FL, USA

Jul 062013

We have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica that we purchased used in 2008 with 26K miles. In 2011 we started experience problems. Simultaneously, we came up with codes P0700, P0420 and P0456 and have had to have the transmission rebuilt, the catalyst converter replaced and new fuel pump due to the evap leak. In a matter of months, we spent $5,900 on repairs and in order for the car to pass inspection. We were still making payments on this car and after contacting Chrysler repeatedly, we were told that they would not be responsible, so we were forced to make these repairs. After further research, we found that many Pacificas had many of the same problems that we were experiencing and that Chrysler refused to acknowledge the issues.we have had electrical problems with the power seats, bluetooth, side view mirrors. The electrical system shortens the life of the battery and we have had to replace the battery prematurely several times. Now we need an ABS sensor, and the car leaks in through the front window seals on both sides when it rains. We have just found out when we had the car in for a routine oil change, that our engine cradle(sub frame) is rusted and is a hazard to drive and will cost approximately $2,500 to replace! we just made our last payment on this car as we found this information out. We have also found out that many Pacificas have this rusting problem and Chrysler did acknowledge this for 2004 & 2005 models but not after. We are aware that there is a class action suit and want to be sure that the ntsa is aware of this. This is a family car and there may be many unsuspecting Pacifica owners and their families out there who are at risk of injury or possibly loss of life. We feel that Chrysler needs to warn all owners and implore them to have them bring their Pacificas to the dealership free of charge to have it inspected and repaired for this hazardous issue.

- Lanoka Harbor, NJ, USA