9.5

2. replace crankshaft position sensor (2 reports)
2000 Chrysler Sebring engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chrysler Sebring:

2000 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments

Mar 112008

Sebring LXI

I have only had my Sebring since January. Its a used car and has a lot of miles on it but thats what i could afford. Sometime in March my car started dying while i was driving but i could just turn it right back on. I needed a quick solution because I was moving from Ohio to Virginia within the next couple of weeks. So i had my Distributor replaced and it ran good for a week and then i was driving and it died and i couldn't get it started for about an hour or so. After it died then it only did it a couple times again before i had moved. The day i was leaving i also had a wedding to go to and i was leaving from there, i filled up my gas tank and went maybe 5 miles down the road and my car died yet again!!! However it started right back up in about 20 minutes.... and as im driving to my fathers house to get some advice before i leave for Virginia, my check engine light comes on (THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THE LIGHT HAD EVER COME ON SINCE IT WAS STALLING). All he did was reset the battery to get the light to go off and he said if it dies just let it sit and after awhile (meaning like an hour) start it back up. I made it to Virginia fine without the car dying. I didn't drive it really anywhere because i didn't know the area and there are a lot of really busy roads where i live, but i would often just turn my car on and let it run for a little while so it just wasn't sitting there. In May i got a job and after a couple days of working i was driving home and it died right around the corner from my apartment. I no longer even tried driving it so i drove my husbands car. Then one day in July i went out to start my car up it didn't work and i couldn't even hear the fuel pump turning on. The check engine light wasn't on and it had only come on that one time before. So I took the advice of some one on here saying the crankshaft sensor probably needed replaced. I looked it up in the car manual and sure enough it said if my sensor was bad then it would affect my fuel pump. So we took it out asap and had it replace and as soon as it was the car started back up and i havent had any problems yet!!! SO TRY CHANGING THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR!!!!

- , Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 182007

Sebring JXI V6

twice the auto has stalled out, while slowing down or coming to a complete stop. causes the engine to idle ruff during other times. each time it happened was when gas was low. adding gasoline to tank does not have any reaction. only happens periodically. i was going to change fuel filter, until i found out that the entire gas tank has to be dropped to reach the filter.(pain and expensive). Not sure what solution is for recovery.

- , Athens, TN, USA

Aug 062007

Sebring JXI V6

After changing the distributer twice and a few other sensors it turned out that the 50 dollar crankshaft position sensor from autozone solved my problem. Some people think the distributor had the crankshaft sensor in the module but that is incorrect. The distributer comes with the camshaft sensor not the crankshaft sensor. My symptoms were driving down the road the car would die. Could be the freeway or low speed street. Oil and cruise light would come off after car would die. Car would start 1 minute to 3 hours later.

Try changing the crankshaft sensor before you change distributer if you have the same symptoms. It might save you some cash. Good luck.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 052007

Sebring

Has anyone found the problem with the Chrysler Sebring dying while driving? I just put 1,100 into it, and I'm still having the same problem.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 112006

Sebring LXI

My car has been shutting off while driving. Sometimes it will start right back up but sometimes it will leave you sit for hours. It will after a while start right back up but cannot go for long distances without doing it again. Or, if I make it to my destination, it won't start back up and I have to sit and wait. There is not a check engine light on. I have replaced a fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle sensor, distributor twice, and the main computer all in the past 3 months. This was a progressive problem that started with it occasionally feeling like it was going to shut off, leading to it shutting off at lights and intersections when not pressing the accelerator, to shutting off while driving. It is doing it more and more often and after shorter and shorter distances.

- , Altoona, PA, USA

Jul 022006

Sebring LXI

Noticed at least twice that the rpms dropped very low and car almost stalled while on the freeway. I replaced the fuel filter hoping that would help. No such luck. Today the car actually did stall while I was getting on the freeway. Fortunately was able to pull over to the side. The engine light did not turn on but the cruise control light came on. This car has been a money pit. Any one have this problem and successfully fixed it?

- , Escondido, CA, USA

Apr 022006

Sebring

PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE FOUND ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Mar 172006

Sebring JXI V6

As im driving down the road or highway my car will die suddenly. It seems like it dies when my foot is off the gas. Before all this the car would ocassionally sputter while driving. The rpms would drop like the engine was not getting any fuel for 1-1.5 seconds. Now all my car does is dies on me. No Engine codes, just the cruise lamp light comes on and the oil light. So far i changed the distributer 2 times, the autoshutdown relay, and now im going to change the crankshaft position sensor.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA