9.4

$4,620.00

1. replace engine (27 reports)
  3. get rid of the car (3 reports)
  4. major engine rebuild: incl> value job+ water pump + timing c (2 reports)
  5. replaced with remanufactured engine (1 reports)
2001 Chrysler Sebring engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chrysler Sebring:

2001 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 112012

Sebring LX 2.7L

Well bought the car and exactly one month engine blew. After the mechanics had it for a month, I finally got it back with no heat and constant putting antifreeze in it. After fighting and fighting with them I gave up on the heat. Then it didn't want to start and being told that it was something crazy I told them it was the starter. Got that replaced then in march of January 2014 about 11 days before the warrnity ran out guess what...

Yep another engine blew even though we took it in and told them it was getting ready to happen they said no it was the radiator cap, charged me $60 for that. So the engine blows get it replaced and 8 months later no more warranty, engine is going again oh and the starter just went out again today. Still owe 5,000.00 on it and the dealership o currently go through won't trade it in lol what a joke of a car. DO NOT BUY CHRYSLER EVER!!!!!!

- , Akron, Ohio, USA

May 072012

Sebring LX 2.7L

I purchased this car used back in November of 2011. Made sure the first thing i did after purchase was to get a tune-up and an oil change. About 6-7 months later my engine quit on me... Upon looking the problem up online, i found that there were a lot of people with the same car with the exact same issue. Apparently, the engine in the Chrysler Sebring Convertible is deffective. Due to leakage, engine sludge accumelates and ultimately causes the demise of the engine if not caught in time. I called Chrysler to find out if there had been a recall on this engine due to the fact that there were sooooo many complaints that I had come accross. Chrysler informed me that the only recall that had been issued on my car according to the VIN is the lable for the convertable top. They stated that a recall had not been issued for the engine at all. I found this to be very unsettling because of the danger this issue causes. Something needs to be done about this. If anyone knows of someone i should contact in regards to a class action lawsuit please send me an email: jen.caron1@gmail.com. Thank you!!!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 052013

Sebring LX V6

We loved our Sebring Convertible. We have had the car in storage and maintained the car to maximum proportions. I am disabled and depend on our car as we cannot afford a new one. If we had known about this problem, we would never have purchased this car. We have had major oil problems with this car and now this. Now our car is dying as each cylinder blows. C'est la vie.

We will never purchase another Chrysler again. We even can't afford to fix this one. THIS IS DISGUSTING. WHAT COMPANIES DON'T TELL YOU.

- , River Falls, WI, USA

Jun 122002

Sebring LXI 2.7L

I have had nothing but problems with this car.this is first motor i replaced in 2002. it is 2013 and i have put five m motors in this car. three of which were a new Jasper engine. that supposed to have had the kinks worked out of it.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

Feb 152013

Sebring 2.7L V6

Car won't run do to engine failure on an 80,000 mile engine. Additionally, i(if I can even find one that still runs) if I replace this engine it is bad so I will have the same problem. I don't know what to do.

- , Amanda, OH, USA

Jan 092012

Sebring Limited 2.7L

Took care of this car for eleven years. Oil change about every 3000miles with bottled oil only! The car just stopped with no warning like turning the key off while I was driving. I coasted to a stop and watched the fluids and life drain from my baby,my 2001sebring convertible! Everyone from chrysler acts dumb about it. Now I find out they know there has been the same problem for years with this 2.7 L engine!!!!! This should be considered fraud in my opinion! They needed to recall these engines before many lives have been turned upside down. I'm on disability and have a fixed income to live on. Chrysler should be ashamed of itself for putting American consumers through this needless and costly abuse! I thought an American car manufacturer would have more character. People wonder why foreign companies are so successful , MAYBE THEY HAVE MORE INTEGRITY THAN CHRYSLER!!! Hope this is read by future car shoppers to warn them of the practices of Chrysler! Good luck!

- , Homer Glen, IL, USA

Aug 192011

Sebring

i got my car fixed at a very good shop but found out that there word is any good i got as they called it a overhaul on my enegine but as soon as i got it fixed my lifters started tapping really bad so i took it back and they had me put this stuff in it for lifters but i kept haveing the same problems so as i was driveing my car just stopped on me without any warning and i had it towed to the shop and he asked me did i hear anything before it cut off and i said yeah my lifters and he told me that was normal now i don,t know much about cars but i know when i first got the car u couldnt even hear when i started it up but now when i took it back he tells me that the parts he put on there are not under warranty and he is chargeing me 1500 to fix it after he fixed it so now i have it and have to wait to get it fixed to me i will never ever take another car to him and it is a 2001 chrysler sebring lxi

- , Easton, MD, USA

May 202011

Sebring 2.7L

This is another example of the oil sludge issue with the Chrysler 2.7 L engine. I bought the car used with low miles, and had my tension arm go out a few months later due to sludge buildup.

This second instance came up pretty quickly. The started knocking on hard acceleration, then 2 days later started missing badly going uphill on my way home form work. The engine dies on the downhill side of the most dangerous road in Portland (Germantown Rd.). This is a very steep extremely curvy road and I came all too close to not being able to make the first turn with no power steering or brakes. Making my way down the remainder of the hill was a bit frightening, to say the least.

After getting towed and finding out the damage was blown bearings and replace the engine, it was suggested I look online for chrysler 2.7 l engine to find that this should have been considered a defect and the engine should have been replaced or repaired by Chrysler, but Chrysler claims the engine is fine, it's the owner's fault.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Mar 142011

Sebring Limited 2.7L

My son's 2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible had complete engine failure last week and had to be towed. Diagnosed as complete engine failure with a cost of $3000 to replace. He has spend thousands on repairs in the past 3 years and now this. He just spent $800 two weeks ago to have one of the cylinders replaced and other work done.

From my research online, this is a definite problem with 98-02 Chrysler 2.7L engines. And it seems that Chrysler is NOT offering any remedies. It seems like there is no way to get any help other than to tell everyone not to buy a Chrysler product as they don't stand behind their cars.

- , Parma, OH, USA

Feb 182011

Sebring LX 2.7L

i am a single mom recently separated left with 2 kids no child support and a car that doesn't run anymore. I purchased this car from a ford dealership. Thought I was getting a good deal I paid 4912.00 for it as my previous car had been totaled. The money I received paid for this car. I purchased it in April of 2010 and in January of 2011 the engine failed. you would think that "A" this was a bad engine & the dealership would be responsible to disclose this info NOT and "B" Chrysler would own up to it "NOT". The consumer always seems to suffer because the majority of us do not have the money to fight it. I will say this, I WILL NEVER PURCHASE another Chrysler product. The word boycott comes to mind & there are more people in this world that struggle and still buy cars than the wealthy who can afford their bmw's

- , McMinnville, TN, USA

Aug 082010

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

First let me say that I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER MOPAR PRODUCT!!! The Chrysler Corporation produces an inferior product.

I bought my car as a demo with only 2K miles on it. I had the car almost paid off and it only had 60K miles on it when my engine blew the FIRST time. The car started with a rough idle as I was coming up to a redlight. Mind you, there was no other indication such as lights, gauges, or anything else to warn me. The next thing I knew, smoke came boiling from underneath the hood and the car just shut off. After having it towed and taken to the mechanic; we were told that the water pump had gone out on it which in turn warped the head, bent three pistons, and threw the timing belt. Needless to say, instead of paying my car off, I ended up paying $3000.00 to have the engine basically rebuilt.

Fast forward 2 years. Okay...the car now has 132,000 miles on it and has been paid off for a year. I was driving on the interstate on my way home, when the battery light came on. I was only 50 miles from home and it seemed to be running well other than the light being on. I kept driving. When 6 miles from home, the car starts to idle roughly, and then it just looses all power and won't start back up. I have it towed and looked at. Guess what???? My car had thrown the timing belt, warped the head, and bent the pistons yet AGAIN! I have not had the money to get this fixed, but I have had it priced. I am looking at another 3 grand to get this thing working again. I am completely and utterly disgusted. I am single, and I don't want nor can I afford a car payment. I think that the worst part of all of this is that I only paid 11K for my car. I've will have paid 6K, almost half of my investment, in repairs by the time this is all said and done!

- , Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Sep 242010

Sebring LX 2.7L

i bought thjis car lalmost exactly a year ago due to my car being totaled. I didn't want another car payment;I had just finnished paying for the last one, so i decided to get the car of my dreams. the lady that i bought this car from took very good care of it. It is a beautiful car. She did warn me that i would have to do oil changed more often because of the known engine problems with this car.

On my way to my niece's house last friday, I noticed the car was vibrating..This car ran like a whisper normaly b/c of the tune up and oil changes that i maintained on it After I left her house , the vibrating turned to shuddering and the car began to get slower & slower...mind you no wanring lights or temp gages went off..when I stopped at the light about a 1/2 of a mile from my niece's house the car shut off & would not come back on. It did not overheat, It just shut off. After having it towed to AAA and paying $90, i was told the enginge had sludge in it They offered to replace it for 2500. I've had quote up to $5,000. I only paid $3,000 so therres no way i'm having the work done, only to probably have it happen again. I love this car, but I'm selling it for parts and cutting my losses.

I WILL NEVER BY ANOTHER DODGE,CHRYSLER OR PLYMOUTH PRODUCT AGAIN, I HOPE THE DO GET SUED OVER THIS.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 102009

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

I spent over $7000 on this piece of crap! Fixed some worn out suspension components, and then...BAM! Blown engine! What a slap in the face. It has been sitting in my driveway ever since. Anybody have any ideas on what to do with this thing? I am glad I had a dependable Nissan to drive as well, otherwise I am sure I already would have thrown a ton of more money into it.

- , Edgerton, WI, USA

Jul 062010

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

I bought my 2001 Sebring LXi convertible in Dec 2003, with just over 500 miles on the odometer. It had suffered a transmission failure at the original dealer, had never been sold to a customer, was returned to Chrysler for a replacement, then sat on a back lot for nearly two years before being resold to another dealer. I bought it with a new car warranty and bought the extended (7 year/70,000 mile) warranty. After intial problems with the transmission control module, heater and warped brake rotors (all fixed by the dealer), the car served me very well for 50,000 miles--no serious issues at all. At each service after roughly 20,000 miles, I would tell the Chrysler service dept that the oil pressure light was coming on intermittently. They would duly check the oil level and tell me not to worry.

Then I took it to a Chrysler dealer (Rosenthal, Arlington, VA) for the 50K service and told them that the oil pressure light had been coming on intermittently at idle or very low rpms for the past 10,000 miles or so, and also that the engine had begun to use oil at about 1 quart every couple of thousand miles. The service manager told me not to worry, that this particular engine with that much mileage tended to use oil. He said just to keep it topped up.

I kept checking and adding oil for the next 5,000 miles. Just before I intended to take the car in for another oil change, the engine blew without warning on an inter-state highway. I had it hauled to the nearest Chrysler dealer and paid to have the oil pan pulled and assessed. The mechanic said the problem was sludge build-up, and that my extened warranty DID NOT cover that cause for engine failure.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Aug 182009

Sebring Convertible 2.71

The engine quit out of no where! Not to mention I still owe $2000 on this car and we are in the middle of buying a house so we cant take a loan out right now for a new car. We are looking into finding a new engine and replacing ourselves, then try to sell it. I don't know if I will buy American after this. No wonder our car industry is going nowhere.

- , Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Nov 112008

Sebring LX 2.7L V6

This about my sons car. We got it November 2008 with 50,000 miles. He had driven it 12,000 miles and engine just quit one night. We took it to a shop and they put in a used engine under extended warranty. But guess what... in another 12,000 miles it will happen again with no warranty so were screwed. We're trying to take action.

- , Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Jun 232006

Sebring LX 2.7L

Being a young and tender female that had only owned beater cars I had found on the side of the road, it was every exciting to purchase my very own "grown-up" vehicle: the sporty 2001 Chrysler Sebring.

I was on my way to work one early morning, when the vehicle went from a zippy 50mph to ZERO without my consent. I felt as though I hit a brick wall, yet there was nothing in front of me. After having the car towed to a local shop, I was informed the engine was gone. Where it went I was not sure, but the mechanic was kind enough to show me the lovely trail of metal shavings it had left on the dip-stick. It was a this point I had the vehicle towed once again to a shop that I love and trust to fix such a huge problem, as I still owed on the car, I had only purchased it 3 weeks prior from a private party. $3,500 later the car was fixed and I was as happy as a camper-that-just-got-raped-for-half-the-price-of-the-vehicle could be.

For the next two years the vehicle treated me in a manner that was as good as could be expected from a car with such high miles (138,000 on the car - 67,000 on the new motor)...Until earlier this week. The engine light comes on, the car is misfiring. I tell myself not to worry, no engine light came on when it threw a rod - it couldn't possibly be the same thing. The code it's throwing is a P0301, cylinder 1 misfire. I throw in new spark plugs and boots, still throws the code. I replace the coil, still throws the code. I take it to the damn mechanic, compression in cylinder 1 is at 45lbs - I AM A SUCKER, the engine is toast.

So, for all of you fine people who have been burnt by the wonderful and beloved Chrysler corporation, don't feel too bad...Chances are, you are not STUPID enough to keep the POS and let it happen to you TWICE!

- , Carson City, NV, USA

Sep 262008

Sebring LX Lx

Okay. This is ridiculous. When I bought the car from the crooked Chrysler dealers at Long Beach Chrysler and Jeep the sales person promised in writing a paint package and after the sale when I was asking about a paint repair for a little paint chip the manager said they couldn't do it and took the writing back from me. I have had my air-conditioner fan go out, the radio, the starter, the computer chip, and the airbag, all of these things failed. I paid to have items replaced. Since then the airbag has failed again. On Friday evening, September 26, leaving San Diego on the way home from picking up my son from his Navy base and about 35 minutes away from Long Beach and with no indication that there was any kind of problem or any warning lights we heard a ticking or knocking noise that suddenly got loud followed by a boom. At once the car which was in the second lane at about a speed of 65 to 70 miles per hour lost all power and we were barley able to get into the shoulder with out getting hit. Someone also pulled over to tell us that they saw fire. We looked but didn't see any. The Nice HWY Patrol guys (I say that very sarcastically) were at the scene in within two minutes as I was trying to call for a tow. They pointed out oil on the ground. Indecently I have heard three times in the last three days that tow service just pulling you off the freeway is actually free. Anyway, they asked me if I had called for a tow yet. I said I was trying to do that now. They asked if I had triple A. I said that my mom does and is on her way. They said NO, she would have to be here right now and that they are calling for a tow that will cost over $100 dollars. 2 minutes later the tow truck got there and said they are charging 160 dollars to get my vehicle off the road or 340 dollars to take it to Long Beach. I had it towed to LB. Engine is blown and the dealer said they don't have problems with this engine and that it is a good engine. If anyone is in a class action law suite against Chrysler I would like to be included. Please let me know how to be involved in this.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 212008

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

in November of 2004 i purchased a 2001 sebring lxi from my parents(original owners). i was very excited it was a beautiful car with a nice stereo , sunroof and a sport transmission. after 3 and a half years and many oil changed later i was returning home one night from picking up my son about 10 miles from home, when the temp gauge started to rise above halfway, then shot up to red. i pulled the car over open the hood and nothing seemed wrong. the next morning i had it towed to my mechanic he looked it over, ran some tests, and explained to me that the motor was a loss.... a blown headgasket and thrown rod. i hear this is a very common thing with the 2.7l motors. Chrysler is well aware of the defect and claim it to be caused by lack of care for the motor, well f that s, i change my oil religiously.......

- , Radford, VA, USA

Jun 142008

Sebring Convertible 2.7L V6

Unfortunately, heard about ALL the engine problems on vehicle AFTER the engine blew!

- , Lincoln, Iowa, USA