2001 Chrysler Sebring steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chrysler Sebring:

2001 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments

Jul 062004

Sebring 6-cyl

At about 51,000 miles my car began making loud squeaking noises from the front end every time you pass over a small bump in the road. It also developed major vibrations in the steering wheel and the brake pedal when the car was slowing up to stop. When I took the car to the chrylser dealer I was told that the inner tie rods were metal to metal and it also needed new rack and pinion steering. This amounts to nearly $1,000 expense on a car just a little more than one year from the time the warranty expired. The car is dangerous to drive since the steering can go out. I had very little advance warning of this problem and am not prepared to invest this kind of money in order to have a safe car for me and my family. We had planned to drive this car on vacation in three weeks. If I had not taken it to the dealer to investigate, it very well might have caused a fatal crash with my two sons in the car.

- Rossville, GA, USA

Jul 112001

Steering rack makes clanking/rattling noise when turning over rough pavement. Can be felt through steering column. Service technicians at dealer heard noise but could not initially identify it. They drove 4 other 2001 Sebring sedans and heard same noise. Contacted Chrysler and were told it was steering rack. I wrote letter to Chrysler and was told that noise is a "characteristic of the car." I am very concerned since steering is involved. Would like this problem fixed and not told "they all do it."

- Columbia, SC, USA