9.2

$5,180.00

2. replaced engine (11 reports)
2004 Chrysler Sebring engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Sebring:

2004 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 132014

Sebring LX 2.7L V6

Engine on my 2004 Sebring just seized up. I was driving the car on the highway and it just stopped no lights no warning at all. Put me in a very dangerous situation!! The car was taken well care of, oil changed every 3,000 miles without fail. I was told even changing the oil every 2,000 miles would not of prevented this engine failure since sludge builds up in it and there is no way to correct or stop it since it was made poorly and this is a problem with these engines that Chrysler puts out.... Nice job chrysler, now what......

- , North Babylon, NY, USA

Feb 142013

Sebring GTC 2.7L V6

Complete engine failure at 107,000 miles. Oil always changed earlier that specified with Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Chrysler 2.7L will fail at some point, no matter how well you maintain it. Chrysler needs to cover replacement.

- , Hopkinton, MA, USA

Jan 122013

Sebring

My son bought a 2004 Chrysler Sebring at a used car lot in Covington KY and has had nothing but trouble Sad thing is he works for company that make parts for Chrysler so thought it would be cool to have a Chrysler NOT cool He has changed the oil, taken good care of it, only drives about 20 minutes to work and back home and has only had the car for about 6 months First the O2 sensors went out, brakes messed up, radiator started leaking, then the engine locks up, no warning, no nothing All anyone can tell him is replace the engine He still owes more on the car than it's worth and now replace the engine? Really?!! Chrysler needs to go out of business, their cars are awful Anyone know of any options he might have please let me know

- , Frankfort, KY, USA

Oct 252012

Sebring Touring 2.7L

04 Sebring POS, what can I say...I bought the car used, thought it was a nice car, had it about a month and went to the next city over, went to stop at the stop light and it stalled. Turned it back on and finished my trip. Got back called the dealer, said it was probably bad gas...yeah right! That was at 40k miles, now I have 94k miles and oil light is on all the time, figure from what I have read that I will be replacing the engine soon, maybe I can pass this car on to someone else before it takes me out of the game. I don't have the money to fix this car if it needs an engine...Chrysler sucks, the government should let them go under and take their factories and give them to companies that will produce good quality cars...maybe Toyota! Sorry USA, I love you to death, but our country has become lazy and don't care who we have to screw to make a buck...well no more of my bucks for Chrysler...telling everyone I know too!

- , Decatur, AL, USA

Jan 022012

Sebring LX 2.7L

I was coming into my home town after driving about 75 miles round trip. As I pulled up to the first stop light and came to a stop the motor sputtered and then stopped. I tried to restart but only heard the clicking sound that a car makes when the battery is almost dead. I tried again with the same results. I assumed it was electrical but none of the warning lights had come on. I had it towed to my mechanics shop right away, still believing that it was an electrical problem. When the mechanic was able to get to it he discovered that the motor had seized up, When he checked the oil he found metal. I asked him to pull the pan to see how bad it was and if it could be fixed. He drained the oil through a screen and found so much metal that he didn't go any further. He said that metal in the oil is very bad but that much metal means that the motor is gone. I have had all the servicing done by professionals and done on time. There were no warning lights or over heating that would indicate trouble. It just happened. I am retired and on a fixed income and can not afford $4000.00 to replace a motor. The car is only worth about $3800.00 when it's in good working order. When I came home from Vietnam in 1970 I bought my first new car, a 1970 Plymouth Duster. I have been buying Chrysler products faithfully ever since. Now after this problem, and finding so many other folks having the same type of problem with the same motor and seeing how Chrysler is NOT handling it, I'm thinking of going to a Ford product.

- , Prineville, OR, USA

Nov 082011

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

Bought this car 3 months ago with 87000 miles. The car just quit and would not start. Had towed and was told timing belt broke. The plastic housing showed damage. Mechanic suggests replacing engine. I have extended warranty, so we will see what it will cost me. Apparently there are many of us. This is a BAD engine. Will update when I get fixed. IF I get it fixed. Ft Lauderdale Florida

- , Cooper City, FL, USA

Feb 162011

Sebring 2.7L V6

From my brief research, this engine has had major problems and Chrysler continued to sell cars with this engine. They should have to pay for the repair.

- , Glen Ridge, NJ, USA

Jan 282011

Sebring LXI 2.7L

Thought we had a great car for almost 3 years.Till my wife complained ,we just changed the oil.why is the oil light on.Well I check it again but the level was fine.She got 6 miles and the engine shut down.Had a friend who had a trailer,he brought the car to my house.The engine will not turn ,just clicks.I change the oil myself to save on money.I dont keep files. It will not be fixed,the price is way over my budget.I went looking for recalls ,found this site,glad I did.I m pissed and I know it will not make no difference.thanks

- , Nashville, Tennessee, USA

Jan 202011

Sebring LXI Convertible 2.7L V6

I think if all of us chyrsler sebring owners got together we could file a class action lawsuit against chrysler. Email me your info or if you have already started a lawsuit let the rest of the board know so we can join. I still owe on MF ing car and have to keep paying since I will not ruin my mothers credit and I have no transportation. I will never buy a US auto again. and all of my family worked for the big 3.

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Sep 242010

Sebring Limited 2.7L V6

First, our oil light started flickering. That is when we found out the oil pump has plastic gear box that fails. If it doesn't get fixed before it goes out the oil pump will go out leading to the engine overheating and burning up. Turns out, Chrysler, in ther wisdom, put the oil pump where the engine has to be torn apart to get to it. So, we spent $600+ to be proactive and have that and the water pump replaced before they went out completely (we replaced the water pump just because it made sense to do so while the engine was torn apart).

A couple of months later, I was driving down the Interstate, and with no warning whatsoever, the engine died and would not restart. I had to be towed. The mechanic has told us the valves blew and recommended replacing the engine. We have not yet done so and don't know if we ever will.

- , Gas City, IN, USA

Sep 022010

Sebring Touring 2.7L

ENGINE STALLS AT STOP SIGNS OR LIGHTS AND IT WILL START UP RIGHT AWAY AND THEN THE ENGINE WILL STOP RUNNING AGAIN

- , Troy, OH, USA

Mar 042010

Sebring LXI 2.7L

The oil light started coming on at idle. Then it overheated on the interstate. I let it cool and added antifreeze and drove it a few more miles and it overheated again. Added more antifreeze and drove it again until it started to act like the engine was ready to freeze up so stopped and had it towed. My mechanic said it had water in the oil. I had a slow antifreeze leak for over a year but found no leak. My mechanic said that was because the engine is a bad design so that when the water pump fails the water leaks into the oil. So the water makes a poor lubricant and the bearings failed. I had heard of the sludge problems so used Amsoil to prevent sludging, and that worked fine, but couldn't have predicted water in the oil from the bad engine design. Mitsubishi designed motors are garbage. I had problems with Mitsubishi engines before (3.0 L). Fortunately I found a rebuilt engine for 2K on the internet with a 3 year warranty. My mechanic will be putting it in. Avoid Mitsubishi engines at all costs. They are junk. When my engine warranty runs out that car is gone.

- , Loudon, TN, USA

Sep 292009

Sebring

I bought this POS car from a freinds boyfriend who had just gotten into the car selling industry. Since I "knew" him, I trusted his opinion when he informed me he had the perfect car for me.... LOOONG story short, the car is worthless... I bought it (cash) in July of 09 and by September, it started dying on me. The first time it happened I was reversing out of a parking lot and it just turned off, kinda like when your battery dies... But of course it wasnt the battery. After I had a mechanic look at it, I thought the problem was solved until 2 days later I parked to return a movie and it just ouldnt even turn on at all... This happened to me again a third time at which point sears told me I had a $2500.00 problem with my engine as well as an array of problems with the belts and water pump and alternator the list goes ON and ON...

To this day, I can not afford to get the problem fixed nor do I want to, due to the fact that I have already wasted 4 grand on this piece of crap that I will never get back! It still shakes when I drive on the highway, and shakes when Im at a red light, it sputters when I accelerate after a stop and it sounds like garbage, super loud and annoying... This is the worst decision I have ever made as for buying a vehicle. I was stupid thinking that I could trust this guy would take care of me. I cant wait to get rid of this lame car, and because of this expierience I will never buy an american car again! I never had ANY problems with my honda, or my kia... I got this car trying to save money and not have a car payment and its become nothing but a huge loss! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Mar 012009

Sebring Touring

I was coming home from my sons house and the oil light came on and then within minutes the car stopped. I did not have any warning and did not understand what was happening; I knew I had oil, and the battery wasn't the problem because radio and lights were still on. My husband tried to jump start but that did not work. I had it towed to the Chrysler Dealership and they said the engine was seized. I asked how that is possible when I had oil and no signs that I had problems with the engine (i.e. No engine noises etc.) and he said that there was oil and that it looked pretty clean. He also said he had no idea what caused it, and that it would cost additional money to pull the engine apart to determine the cause. Money I do not have. His solution was to buy either a used engine at the cost of $5,500 with a 6 month parts only warranty or $7,200 for a factory reconditioned one. I still owe $6,500 on this car. It seems others have had the same problem according to these posts, so what can I do? If there is anyone out there that can help me with this please let me know.

- , Monroe, WA, USA

Mar 032009

Sebring LX 2.4L

Only a few months after buying this car brand new we had issues with it lunging forward. I would be stopped at a light with my foot firmly on the brake and it would just jump. 3 times I took it back to the dealer for this problem. The 3rd time they changed the spark plugs and that seemed to solve that problem. The 3rd year into owning the car the blower went out and would only work on the high setting.The check engine light has randomly gone off and on again almost the entire time that we've had the car. We took it to the dealer and paid $109 for them to say everything was fine and re-set the computer. A few months ago I got in the car and it would not start. We charged the battery for a few hours and finally got it started. A few weeks ago my oil light would flash on and off every now and then. My husband checked the oil and it was fine. Yesterday I was driving the car and came to an intersection. I stopped for the light. There were no noises, no flashing lights, no indication that anything was wrong. When the light turned green I couldn't move. Figured it had stalled. I tried to re-start it and it wouldn't even turn over. After about 15 minutes of trying to re-start along with the police arriving we called a tow truck. We had the car towed to the local repair shop only to find out that the engine is completely seized. There is nothing that we can do except buy a factory re-built engine for $3,770. I am so upset!!! If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit against Chrysler please let me know. If there isn't one already then there definitely needs to be.

- , Brunswick, OH, USA

Sep 182008

Sebring GCI Convertible 2.7L Litre V6

I guess I am having the same problem as others but my engine hasn't quit yet. My problem is with the oil pressure light flashing at idle speeds. The oil like so many others has been changed every 3000 miles or less. I am a mechanic and have been for several years so my first deduction was to change the sending unit not to hard to do but a little pain. This did not fix the problem. But I did notice the oil that came out of the sending unit port was much dirtier than the oil in the pan so I decided to flush the engine. My light went out for now but after reading the other complaints I am sure my problems are not over. But I will however flush the engine more regular to try to slow down my woes. While doing some research I found there is a tech. bulletin put out by Chrysler it is TSB #08-36-99 which calls for a wire terminal vent wire be added to the switch connector. But I recommend only doing this after your oil pressure has been checked and is good. I have been a loyal Dodge fan since I have been able to drive and I own 3 of them my 83 dodge Diplomat has 175000 miles and still going strong but this Sebring and my 2006 Dodge truck have not been so good to me so I guess it is time to change.I think it will be to a Honda.

- , Oxford, AL, USA

Oct 032008

Sebring LX 2.7L V6

2004 Chrysler Sebring has Sludge problem. The thermostat housing cracked and caused the car to overheat. I only used synthetic oil but when car over heated I believe it burned oil badly enough to cause sludge. N car won't rev above 4000 RPM.

- , Yonkers, NY, USA

Sebring 2.7L V6

2004 Sebring 2.7 v6, engine failed, dealership wanted about nine thousand dollars for new engine and to install it or he would be more than glad to sell us a new one. Now what kind of dumbass would buy this same auto again, i was born at night but not last night. anyway a guy that has same problem says he is a lawyer and would like to hear from more people who have this problem, i think he had a 2003 Sebring. his address is JOHN@DURSTLAW.COM, MAYBE HE CAN HELP US.

Sebring 2.7L V6

2004 Sebring, 100,000 miles, engine failure and it wasn't due to my negligence,i have a 2001 Malibu with 200,000 miles and a 1993 Chevy p/u with 150,000 miles and i changed oil in all 3 from the start. Chevy's are still running good and Sebring is sitting with blown engine. CHRYSLER CORP. SUCK BIG TIME

Sebring 2.7L V6

CHRYSLER SUCKS BIG TIME I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER. DON'T BUY A SEBRING . CHRYSLER IF YOUR SELLING A PRODUCT AND IT IS DEFECTIVE ON YOUR SIDE, YOU NEED TO FIX IT AND QUIT RIPPING PEOPLE OFF. AGAIN I SAY CHRYSLER SUCKS.