2004 Chrysler Sebring suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Sebring:

2004 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments

Apr 222016

Sebring

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible. While driving 40 mph, the lower control arm fractured and the front passenger side axle separated from the vehicle. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10E059000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 132015

Sebring

I was driving down the street and the control arm snapped causing me to lose control of my vehicle. I had it towed to mechanic. The control arms and some other parts were replaced. Using my cars VIN there is not a recall but on this website there is a recall for same year make and model for the same reason. I called Chrysler 800-992-1997 and spoke with micah and she explained that she does not even see that there is a recall on 2004 Chrysler sebrings case# 28647014. But here is the website I found it on: www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/owners/searchresults;jsessionid=K261wqcjkj69rsyytt48wfrrmdtb80yqjlp8jvcgtqrgptdr0mqy!-721696947?prodtype=V&searchtype=prod&targetcategory=a&searchcriteria.model=sebring+sedan&stats=774853%2C1%2C0%2C8%2C0%2csebring+sedan&makestats=&jsonbaseurl=%2fdownloads%2ffolders%2F&searchcriteria.model_yr=2004&searchcriteria.make=Chrysler&searchcriteria.prod_ids=774853

- Aurora, CO, USA

Dec 112015

Sebring

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Sebring sedan. While driving at an unknown speed, the front driver side tire separated from the ball joint. In addition, the vehicle collapsed and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10E059000 (suspension). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 240,000.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Dec 202015

Sebring

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would abnormally shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the control arms needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10E059000 (suspension). The approximate failure mileage was 112,635. Updated 02/12/16

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jul 192015

Sebring

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Sebring. While driving approximately 10 mph and making a left turn, the ball joint snapped and the front passenger side tire went beneath the vehicle. The vehicle crashed into a curb. The air bags did not deploy. It was unknown if a police report was filed. There was an injury that did not require medical assistance. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 142015

Sebring 6-cyl

The right front ball joint separated from the lower control arm causing the wheel to become disjointed.

- Lighthouse Point, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Sebring

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that while accelerating and making a left turn, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. The failure recurred on several occasions when making turns. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10E059000 (suspension). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Aug 282014

Sebring 6-cyl

I bought my 2004 Chrysler Sebring sedan in February of 2014. Two months later in April the ball studs on my tires were popping off while while I was driving and my car started wobbling. I took my car to the place where I got it from and they fixed it. Two months later in June the same thing happened on the same tire. The ball studs flew off while I was driving and the tire was hanging on by one ball stud the others were broken off. I had the car towed to the shop and it was fixed. Now in August my ball joint snapped as I was backing out a parking space, with no warning. The whole car fell to the ground. This car is a safety hazard and there is no reason why the ball studs and ball joint should break so easily. If I was on a residential street or even on the parkway I would've lost control and crashed.

- Asbury Park, NJ, USA

Nov 172013

Sebring

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the rear driver's side of the vehicle exhibited a loud, abnormal noise. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that the rear driver's side tire had become separated from the wheel well. In addition, the lower ball joint was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 10E059000 (suspension). The failure and current mileage was 115,000.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Jun 012013

Sebring 6-cyl

This was a mater of severe injury and property damage and could have been death or maiming. Traveling to a normal stop at an intersection traffic light, being the first car to the light on flat pavement, the car's front passenger side lower ball joint came out of its socket and the car skidded to a halt on the pavement riding on the undercarriage of the vehicle frame with the whole tire and brake assembly dangling by the brake line hose outside the wheel well. How could Chrysler be allowed to send a faulty life safety device such as a this critical steering, suspension ball joint that human life depends on into the public for sale? I am outraged that my wife could have been killed by Chrysler's slipshod engineering and product placement. There is no doubt in my mind that if she had been on the highway traveling at a high rate of speed I would be calling a funeral parlor today to make arrangements today for her burial. She was minutes away from traveling to a higher rate of speed when she left the shopping center. Thank god the light turned red. I hope someone at NHTSA can do something about this terrible and dangerous life threatening vehicle on the roadways for the sake of sebring occupants and other vehicle occupant's who are at risk of death if nothing is done to correct the issue or banish the vehicles altogether from roadways. Three sebrings passed us while we waited for the tow truck and those people are at the same risk of death by driving those cars. Chrysler should be held responsible for their careless and negligent actions. And, they should recall all of these products to provide a safe alternative at no cost. I am out mental anguish and property. They know their business and they take the liability so they should be responsible. In am very happy my wife didn't get killed. I have all pictures of the accident if you need them. Thank you.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Aug 122012

Sebring 6-cyl

I had just turned around in a parking lot when the drivers side lower ball joint separated from the control arm and the wheel collapsed and the inner cv joint separated. If I had been traveling on the street at the time, a major accident would have been likely. About a thousand miles later the passenger side ball joint separated from the control arm just as the car was put into reverse. This time the didn't move more than about 6 inches and no other damage was done.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

Aug 052012

Sebring 6-cyl

After turning around in a trailer park parking lot just started going forward when the lower ball joint separated from the lower control arm causing the left front tire to collapse from under the car and disabling the steering. If this had happened on the street at normal speeds it would probably have caused a major crash.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

Feb 272012

Sebring 6-cyl

On my 2004 Chrysler sebring touring conv., while parked I observed the passenger rear tire leaning out at the bottom and leaning in at the top of the tire. It was very noticeable that something was wrong. I dropped the crossmember frame from the rear of the vehicle and found out that both bolts were broke off on the passenger rear upper control arm. Fortunately I was able to remove the broken bolts pieces without any problems.

- Chunchula, AL, USA

Jun 192008

Sebring

I was driving my vehicle and started to hear a knocking in the rear of my vehicle. I stopped at a muffler/shock dealer and they had to replace a broken upper strut plate and bearings on the right rear, because these parts had completely rusted away. My vehicle is only 4-years old. About a month later, the same thing happened to the left rear of my vehicle, but the shop could not locate any repair parts. There are so many of these parts breaking the dealers can't keep the parts on hand. I was told by Chrysler Corp and other parts dealers; that there are over 9,000 of these strut-plates on back order. This makes driving the car unsafe, and with these many breakdowns the vehicle should be included in a recall to reimburse owners for this expense.

- Newark, OH, USA

Jan 192007

Sebring

Have loud clunck in front of vehicle, repair job was done, ball joint and control arm, driver's side front wheel, but one day later problem returned. I am being told cannnot do anything else until the problem returns, the problem is intermittent.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Mar 202004

Sebring 6-cyl

Vehicle - 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible, limited delivered new - November 2003 purchased used - March 2004, 600 miles on vehicle, original owner deceased, purchased from estate the vehicle has a vibration problem between approximately 45 - 60 mph. It has been serviced by a Chrysler dealership five (5) times and by a Goodyear company owned distributor three (3) times. The tires have been force balanced several times and then replaced with new Goodyear assurance comfortread tires. These tires have been force balanced several times by both Chrysler and Goodyear with no acceptable level of positive impact towards resolution. The vibration continues to date. Is there a vibration problem in all such vehicles? we have been unable to resolve this vibration. The vibration continues with the vehicle engine turned off and the car coasting in neutral. In this condition, the vibration can be felt all the way down to a speed of approximately 35 mph.

- Orlando, FL, USA