2.3

2005 Chrysler Sebring electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Sebring:

2005 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 202010

Sebring

The horn randomly begins honking. It occationally happens as I'm driving down the road. When the car is turned off it continues honking. It occationally begins when I push the button on the remote to open the locked doors. It will then suddenly stop honking, only to start again further down the road. The only way I can get it to stop while I'm driving is to push hard on the center of the steering wheel with one hand while I steer with the other hand. This is a major safety hazard. I took it to the local repair shop. The mechanic told me that the problem is a switch in the steering wheel that controls the horn and the air bag. The switch costs around $500 and labor will cost about $500 more. Since I can't afford to pay that now, the technician suggested I remove the relay for the horn. He told me that would stop the horn from honking, but also disable the air bag. So now I am driving without a horn and without an airbag. This is also a major safety concern.

- Amery, WI, USA

Jul 172010

Sebring

My vehicle was involved in an accident July 2010, damage was to the front driver's side. Upon picking up car I complained of an engine knock and axle noise. Geico determined this was not due to the accident. I was told to take my car back to where the axle was replaced in April 2010 by pep boys. While waiting to be seen by an adjuster from geico, my vehicle would not start. I then had my battery and starter replaced by pep boys. My vehicle still had engine knock which geico said was not cause by accident. I then had my car taken to a repair shop where they diagnosed an oil pump problem. They later determined before replacing the oil pump that there were metal shavings in oil pan. They inspected my engine block and determine that engine block was clean due to my use of synthetic oil, but was not operable. The warranty regarding this was not covered for this by Chrysler.

- Suitland, MD, USA

Apr 052010

Sebring

2005 Chrysler Sebring has problems with horn going off while driving or while parked in driveway. Can lead to road rage and/or unsafe driving conditions while trying to get horn to stop blowing. Widespread problem from postings on the internet of others experiencing the same problem.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Nov 042005

Sebring

┐all computer electrical systems periodically, sporadically shut down completely: Electrical circuit failure ┐I am trapped, locked in my car with no safety, dash, window or temperature controls ┐at night, my headlights flicker then go out 'steering/upper control arm appears to be cracked ┐transmission doesn't shift, it slams into gear at ten miles per hour or 50 miles P/H 'something in the undercarriage is snapping loudly when turning or going over speed bumps, something in steering column ┐driving over speed bumps: The front and rear loudly creak and groan ┐air bag light sporadically stays on┐then off┐then on again ┐engine light sporadically comes on┐then off┐then on again ┐runs like a truck, chugs, rattles ┐cylinder one misfire at 45K. These are platinum plugs which do not require changing until 100K ┐coolant housing cracked causing coolant gauge to approach red zone and require replacement. Chrysler was aware of this problem but did not notify owner of recall item. My cost: $200 ┐driver's window shudders when rolling up and down.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Aug 182009

Sebring

[ 2005 Chrysler sebring] I smelled and saw smoke coming out of steering column, car towed to dealership. I was told they could not find a problem. Two weeks later same issue. The car went back to the dealership and I was told the wiring harness burnt up. About 3000 in damages.....

- Griswold, CT, USA

Jan 012009

Sebring

Safety hazard of driving on the interstate and the horn goes off scaring the driver next to you who could then run into you or run you off the road or they could run off the road themselves. This did not happen but I am worried it could...not only with my vehicle but anyone else driving one of these Sebrings.

- Redfield, AR, USA

Aug 152008

Sebring

Purchased 2005 Sebring convertible in early 2006 with 18,000 miles on it. Was pushed into an extended warranty that has went out of business. Car cruise control quit working, was a wiring issue, had to have steering wheel tore apart and repaired. Dealer cost $374. Interior lights in car flicker and continue to flicker. Car goes into gear hard sometimes, like a clunk. No the blower motor in the vehicle has went out and the car only has 84,000 miles on it. If you google this vehicle for blowers it is all over the internet, a manufacturer problem that only has a service bulletin. How nice of Chrysler to know they have thousands of this issue and they do nothing about it. I am very displeased with the problems I am experiencing with this vehicle. Signed a very upset customer.

- Burton, MI, USA

May 032008

Sebring 6-cyl

My horn has started going off for no reason. It will not work when I press on it, but will sound itself at any time during the day or night. The lights on my stereo have been flickering, and the components on the steering wheel (such as the stereo volume and crust control) will turn themselves on and off or up and down. The car has also had problems shifting into gears like it is supposed to. I have only had the car for a year this month, and I have had nothing but problems with it. When I have had it looked at, I am told there is nothing wrong with it. I know it is not normal for the horn to sound off like it does, and for the stereo controls on the steering wheel to turn the volume up or down without anyone pressing on the buttons like they do. I read another persons report about the airbag system that is very similar to my problems, and I feel like the manufacture should be responsible to fix these problems. If I would have known that this car would end up with problems like this, I never would have bought it!

- Provo, UT, USA