2007 Chrysler Sebring engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chrysler Sebring:

2007 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 222016

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. In addition, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 112015

Takata recall I am driving down highway at 70 mph and car just shuts off no warning cant steer it and brakes dont work could of killed me and the kids

- Crossville, TN, USA

Nov 242014

While going 65 mph, the electronic throttle control sensor light came on and the vehicle began to lose power. It felt as though the gas pedal was not working and the speed dropped to about 30mph. After restarting the veh. The problem would correct itself for awhile. But eventually that no longer worked, and I had a mechanic replace the gas pedal. This too did not correct the problem. So when we drive it, at any time, the power deaccelerates and the vehicle slows way down. It also seems like it is not shifting into overdrive and revs at a high RPM.

- Antigo, WI, USA

Dec 162014

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the engine stalled. The contact mentioned that there was a leak of anti freeze coolant fluid and the cruise control had become inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the problem recurred. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Pawling, NY, USA

Nov 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the electronic throttle control and malfunction indicator warning lights remained illuminated. The dealer performed unknown repairs. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Oswego, IL, USA

Jan 032015

Most recently the electronic throttle control light came on, the owners manual indicates that the vehicle may loose control of speed and cause an accident. Further research indicated that this was a common problem and that people have lost control of there vehicles and or been in accidents as they were unable to slow down or stop do to this issue. Many of the complainants on line were individuals with young children as I am and have serious concerns for injury or death. Local dealers had issues resolving the problem. My second issue which is also a common issue for Chrysler owners is that the instrument cluster lights go out and cease to work and you will not be able to see any of your instruments at night such as your speed, tachometer, gas gauge, engine temperature ect. This is a big safety concern as you can not see your speed at night or early in the morning when kids are going to school and reduced speeds are in affect, as well as being able to know if your running out of gas or car is overheating causing further damage. I did although find a recall for different models with gas gauge issues as a safety concern for running out of gas. This instrument cluster issue has to be far worse than the gas gauge recall as it causes the same concerns plus several more in just one problem. When I called the recall line they said that its not on the recall list but was able to confirm the gas gauge issue I attached below. Fuel gauge may overstate fuel level models : Chrysler Sebring, Dodge avenger engine, March 16, 2009 the began March, 2009. The Chrysler recall number is J02. I will be forwarding this complaint and posting to the executives of Chrysler as well as my local media, and insurance company for validity of my complaint. I hope to be contacted for this issue to be resolved.

- Newman Lake, WA, USA

Sep 302014

Sebring 4-cyl

Car turns off automatically at low speed. Brakes lock at the same time this happens. I took it back to dealer to get serviced, and they stated that nothing was found. The serviceman did tell me that he called the Chrysler Corp, and they told him they never heard of anything like this happening but on a forum on the internet, there are many complaints of this occurring. I told the man that it is a safety issue and how dangerous it is, and he agreed with me. This malfunction occurred two times already since I bought the car from the dealer. Fuccillo VW 2242 central avenue, schenectady, NY 12304 (518) 374-9161. My next issue is that I need sway bars. I brought the car back yesterday Dec 27, 2014, because as I was at a stop light, the light changed green, the transmission shifted gears at the same time I accelerated on the gas to go and I heard clicking for about a mile. The noise went away. I explained the problem to the serviceman and I was told that I need sway bars now. I just purchased the car in Sept of this year, and I'm so disappointed to encounter all these problems. My extended warranty does not cover the work. I also say that this has been wearing from the previous owner and I am not at fault, nor should I have to pay for the work. I seriously do not even want this car anymore, and I am paying for it monthly from a loan they gave me from capital one financing. This is chaos, and has exacerbated my illness of having Ms. I was duped. Please help.

- Albany, NY, USA

Jun 252014

Traveling at 60 mph the etc light begins to flash and the vehicle will not accelerate, although rpms increase significantly. This happens many times going downhill. Dealer was never able to repair. Resets if car is restarted, but this is not safe traveling at 60mph on the highway in traffic.

- Aiea, HI, USA

May 252014

Driving South, from Michigan, had driven approx. 600 miles of a 700+ mile trip, vehicle started "chugging" at 70mph on the highway, decelerating, unable accelerate, this was not in an area of differing elevations, it would almost stall then surge, then repeat. Cruise control was not being used at that time due to heavy traffic. Pulled the vehicle off the highway, into a store parking lot, shut it off for a few minutes, restarted and no further problems until today when driving for less than 15 minutes, on the highway at 60mpg, heavy traffic, it began again. Again, it was pulled over shut off and restarted with no further incidents today. You people need to do something to fix this. Someone is going to be fatally injured. I am not the only one experiencing this same issue.

- Richmond , VA, USA

Dec 282013

Sebring 4-cyl

I came up to the stop sign and the electronic throttle control light came on. I turned and tried to get to speed but could only get to 35mph. I turned around and went back home. Went to a private repair shop on Monday, but he said if it is running ok, not to do anything. Again it happened on 3/16/14 as I was going about 60mph. The light came on and I could not generate any more speed. I pulled into a store and turned off the car. I waited about 5 minutes and it started and no light. Been driving fine again. But what happens when I pull out to pass someone and the light comes on and I have no power to pass that car.

- Mt. Pleasant, MI, USA

Jan 062014

I was going about 55 mph when the electronic throttle control light came on. It was flashing with made it impossible to reach speeds over 40 mph. I was a danger on the highway because I was unable to maintain speed as well as the vehicle hesitating. It took me 1hour and a half to travel 35 miles. The next day started it and the light went out, I have been afraid to drive it. No one seems to have an easy answer.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sep 022013

Sebring 4-cyl

This is a recall item for models right around the same time as my Sebring was built, I have called chry but they will not take responsibility. The air bag light stays on!! my air bag clock spring failed and my air bag warning light illuminated. I'm told by the dealer that my air bag will now not work, and my cruise control & steering wheel horn. This is a serious safety issue & I need to get it repaired quickly but at a cost of over $220, I can not afford. This should be paid for by daimler Chrysler!.

- Russellville , AR, USA

Apr 272013

Sebring 4-cyl

I was driving the vehicle on the highway. The etc light came on and the car would not accelerate. Coasted to the side of the road, turned car off, then back on and it ran fine. It has done this at least 30 times since. Now my etc light blinks and car will only go 10-20 mph, slows to 5mph going up any grade. Idle is rough and idles between 1500 and 2000. Sometimes when I first start the car it will run okay for about 2-3 minutes then etc light suddenly come on, car decelerates and I have almost been hit several times. Now the brake light comes on and off as does the check engine light. The dealer does not know what is wrong. This seems to be a common problem with this model vehicle. Chrysler needs to do something before someone is seriously injured or killed. I will never buy another Chrysler product because they will not fix this problem, always say they do not know what the problem is.

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Oct 252013

The electric throttle light came on. Car loses power and then will only go 5miles P/hr..very dangerous situation when you are on the freeway in busy traffic.

- Crosby, TX, USA

Jun 152012

While driving down the highway I lost power to my car. It wouldn't go faster than 25-30 mph even when I floored it. The electronic throttle control light starts blinking on the dash. Happened a couple times, about 5-6 months apart, and I found out that if I turned my car off and restarted it would run just fine again. Recently began happening whenever I drive for more than about an hour, really dangerous when it happens on the interstate. Took it to a mechanic when it first happened and they said that the computer never registered anything and they can't tell what is wrong with it unless it is happening when I bring it in. Never happens when I'm near a repair shop though. Looked it up online and apparently plenty of other people are having the same problem. Fed up with it.

- Logan, UT, USA

May 312012

The dash lights started blinking like a strobe light now they will just be off completely and randomly come back on. When they are off at night I cannot see my speed gas or temp.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Jan 062010

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the electronic throttle control warning indicator. The vehicle restarted and resumed as normal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer two times and they were unable to locate the problem. The identical failure recurred nine times. In addition, the alternator was replaced three times. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Fredricks, VA, USA

Oct 142012

Sebring 4-cyl

While traveling in Virginia on int.64 the electronic throttle control warning light came on and the car lost power. I turned the car off waited a minute and the car was fine. This has happened three times in the past. Dealer claimed it was fixed and it keeps happening periodically. Normally on trips.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 072012

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. The contact started the ignition and the electronic throttle control warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel permanently until the engine was turned off. Also, whenever driving the vehicle would not accelerate over 25 mph. The vehicle was currently being diagnosed at an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and they informed there was not a recall related to the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Jun 182012

Sebring 4-cyl

I was going park under my carport and the car would not stop, I kept pressing the brakes down as hard as I could but the car kept moving until I pulled the emergency brake almost went into my house. Another incident where I was crossing the thruway and the car stalled in the middle of the intersection with cars coming, close to getting hit by multiple cars, other incidents where the car kills while under the red light, have to restart it.

- Lafayette, LA, USA