2008 Chrysler Sebring drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Sebring:

2008 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments

Mar 132016

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. While driving 80 mph, another vehicle driving at a high rate of speed sideswiped the contact's vehicle. The impact caused the contact's vehicle to spin around in the opposite direction, facing two semi-trucks. The contact's vehicle stalled without warning. The contact made numerous attempts to restart the vehicle, but the gears were extremely difficult to shift and the vehicle suddenly reversed down a ravine. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop and was inspected by the insurance company. A police report was filed. The contact sustained head, neck, back, and knee injuries that required medical treatment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than three times, but they could not repair the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 262012

Sebring

While driving at a steady speed, vehicle will hesitate when climbing an incliine or when I accelerate, this is not a steady happening.I have taken it to two different Chrysler dealerships to have it computer checked but nothing shows up. A younger mechanic at the second dealership stated it sounded to him like possibly the clutches were slipping and causing the problem. Since it doesn't show up on the computer he suggested that I just continue driving until such time as it may stop moving completely and then the problem should be able to be found.

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Mar 022016

Sebring

This car has a faulty totally integrated power module (tipm). This caused several problems including: The car stalling suddenly while driving at about 50 mph on a straight road, the horn going off intermittently and uncontrollably both while the vehicle was stationary and while it was moving, and a check engine light that would not clear. I replaced the faulty tipm at my own expense and it resolved all these problems. Chrysler has issued recalls for tipms, but they have never recalled the 2008 Sebring. I have the original, faulty tipm out of the Chrysler that I can send for testing and verification.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Sep 022015

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. While having the vehicle serviced for an oil change at an independent mechanic shop, it was discovered that the transmission oil dip stick tube was corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,589.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 142015

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated and the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate over 25 mph. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,291.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 212014

Sebring 6-cyl

My car both in both park/drive will sporadically jump in RPM's for no reason. This has happened on 40+ occasions in which the vehicle will rev from 600 RPM's up over 3500 RPM's within a second. I called Chrysler and Chrysler stated that they have not have any reports from other vehicles and gave me no solutions to this problem. My check engine light is not on. I mentioned to Chrysler that I am afraid that my car is going to one day rev while I am driving and I will not be able to control it. I am afraid that I am going to either injure myself, passengers, other motorist and/or pedestrians. I have been at many stop lights and stop signs where it has revved and moved forward even with my foot firmly on the brake. I want to report this in case something happens, I do not want to be liable for the cars actions since Chrysler does not seem to want to take my issue seriously.

- Nanty Glo, PA, USA

Sep 032013

Sebring

The car will not shift out of park. The first occurrence was Sept. 2013, took it to the dealership and the repair/replacement was $400. Called the same dealership today ( December 23, 2014) and they would like me to bring it in, but I don't want to pay another $400 to have it replaced again because the one-yr warranty is up by 3 months. So disappointed... what a way to spend the christmas holiday.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Sebring 6-cyl

Was driving on the interstate headed East from hickory flat ms to myrtle Ms. Throttle control light began to blink, check engine light came on, all power shut down quick, car would not start, waited 45 minutes before it started. Motorist stop to help me push it to the side of the hwy.

- Myrtle, MS, USA

Sep 032011

Sebring

TL- the contact owns a 2008 Chrysler seabring. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph the power steering went out. An accident occurred and the contact was injured. The vehicle was towed. The manufacture was notified. Repairs were completed on the vehicle. The failure recurred 3 times. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 112014

Sebring 4-cyl

This has happened on several different occasions--becoming more frequent and lasting longer duration each time. While traveling various speeds (can and has happened anywhere from 5mph-60mph) if any pressure is applied to accelerator after breaking no matter the speed all power is lost to the car a red lighting bolt light appears on the dash and the RPM's will stay between 4,000-5,000. Each time having to pull off to the side of the road and attempt for it to restart (depends on if it will or not--usually takes it a while). Will get up to speed again and if I have to brake for any reason or even slow down just a little without apply the brakes it can completely loose power. Also do not have any dash lights when the head lights are turned on. They appear in the center console but went out in 2009 just after I bought the car, and after several estimates in the thousands of dollars it remains with no lights (so in no way can you see the speed or anything else on the dash after dark.)

- Vandalia, IL, USA

Feb 032014

Sebring 4-cyl

Vehicle came to a complete stall while taking left- hand turn on intersection @ ~15mph. It now shows the indicator light for the engine randomly and stalls somewhat frequently at low speeds. Lastly, the trans is slipping rigorously.

- Westland, MI, USA

Apr 262013

Sebring 4-cyl

The throttle body light just can on after crossing a speed bump and stop and killed and hesitated to restart now this throttle body part is on national back order.

- Arnaudville, LA, USA

Feb 282013

Sebring

Front driver seat started feeling loose, airbag light came on, low tire light came on and check oil light would come on every time car is started. A few days later the car didn't feel right and started making a loud knocking noise, took it to the mechanic and found out that tensioner belt became loose causing damage to the car. I had to get a new alternator, tensioner & pull, and transmission flushed/serviced as well as the power steering. Not very happy with this 2008 Sebring!!!!!

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 162012

Sebring 4-cyl

I lost power to my speed, my brakes failed. I was able to stop the car with my emergency brake. Once stopped I turned off my vehicle. Once I restarted the vehicle, the light did not come on however I still did not have the speed. My transmission would not shift from 3rd to overdrive. It would stay at 3000 RPM at 55 mph. My car normally runs @ 2500rpm or less up to 60mph. I do not know what I need to deo to have this issue resolved. This is my second time experiencing this with this vehicle. I also have a 2009 Chrysler PT CRUISER and owned a 2006 Chrysler Sebring and never have experienced this.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 272012

Sebring 4-cyl

I drove to work this morning just fine. Upon preparing to leave, the car would not come out of the parked position. The gear was stuck.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jul 242012

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the gear shifter was stuck and would not shift into any gear after several attempts. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for repair. The contact was uncertain of the part being replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Canandaiguia, NY, USA

Jun 292012

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of park. The contact stated the shift lever was locked ion place. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or local mechanic for inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Cleveland Heights , OH, USA

Jun 172011

Sebring 4-cyl

A throttle control warning light appears on the dash off and on at intermittent times the car loses power and dies without warning. It has died on the highway several times so far, but will restart after a few minutes. It seems to happen when the fuel is less than half way full more than any other time and/or when traveling uphill. RPM dial on the car jumps erratically just before the throttle warning light appears. Problem has not occurred while traveling at less than 45 mph. Afraid that the problem will cause an accident, if it happens when another vehicle is traveling behind me.

- Espanola, NM, USA

Apr 062011

Sebring

The pink switch on the shifter broke and I went to ruben Chrysler in augusta, ga and they told me that a lot of people came in for the same reason.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Jul 172010

Sebring

2008 Chrysler Sebring..gear shift gets stuck in park and can not be released from park. The dealership said it is an ongoing problem and they have to replace the part on average of 20 cars per month. The dealer said he has replaced the same piece on same vehicle within a 12 month period. It is a little plastic piece that hold the gear shifter in place and when plastic part breaks the gear shift can not be removed from park. If this part would happen to break while car is in drive position and gearing down to 3rd gear for going downhill there would be no way a person would be about to get car out of drive and could cause serious injury or death if person was unaware that the part broke while driving. Chrysler is not taking this serious and told me to go to this website and put in complaint and maybe could get a recall put on that part, but until recall is put on there customers are responsible for $200 worth of repairs to fix a problem that might happen again in just a couple months. This part could easily be replaced with a metal piece instead of plastic.

- Castlewood, VA, USA