2008 Chrysler Sebring seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Sebring:

2008 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments

Aug 052016

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. While the vehicle was idling at a traffic light, both frontal air bags deployed without warning or impact. The contact received burns on the right arm and hearing loss for one day. Medical assistance was not needed. The manufacturer inspected the vehicle and informed the owner that the vehicle was too old, the warranty expired and they were not going to repair it (case number 29852258). The failure mileage was 164,000.

- Lake Wood Village, TX, USA

Mar 132016

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. While driving 80 mph, another vehicle driving at a high rate of speed sideswiped the contact's vehicle. The impact caused the contact's vehicle to spin around in the opposite direction, facing two semi-trucks. The contact's vehicle stalled without warning. The contact made numerous attempts to restart the vehicle, but the gears were extremely difficult to shift and the vehicle suddenly reversed down a ravine. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop and was inspected by the insurance company. A police report was filed. The contact sustained head, neck, back, and knee injuries that required medical treatment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than three times, but they could not repair the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 172016

Sebring

Takata recall. During the course of a year since I've purchased this car, I have experienced issues with what I believe to be power steering. Twice while coming to a stop (stop sign or light), my steering would lock along with my brakes. When I took it to a shop I was told my thermostat needed replaced. I told them to fix the issue. On April 17th while driving home from work a little after midnight this same issue occurred only while I was still driving. I was able to force my wheel to turn enough to drive up the bend I was driving around rather than the school in front of me. Finally I hit a pole and my car has been ruled as a total loss. I have many concerns in regards to what actually happened and why.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Jun 102015

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the driver side door was jammed and required excessive force in order to open it. The contact stated that there was a gap in between the front fender and door. In addition, the air bag warning indicator had illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer regarding the door failure. However, the vehicle was taken to the dealer for the air bag warning indicator and was diagnosed that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign numbers: 07V414000 (latches/locks/linkages) and 07V240000 (air bags) but the VIN was not included in both. The failure mileage was 121,056.

- Bay Minette, AL, USA

Nov 022015

Sebring

This is the third time I've bad problems with the air bag light coming on I've spent money three times for repairs because of the airbag light coming on I just spent money for the third time for repairs in May 2015 and six months later I'm having the same problem I just paid to be repaired there has to be an defect in the airbag.and I keep reporting and not getting any help no matter how many times I file an complaint.the airbag light comes on while driving on sitting still with seat belts on driving on the highway or street.

May 012015

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. Once the vehicle was started, the air bag warning indicator illuminated and remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred two times afterwards. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000. Updated 04/19/16

Sep 012014

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the sensors needed to be clean and or replaced under the seat. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Sagamore Beach, MA, USA

Apr 172014

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle resumed normal operation once it was turned off and restarted. The failure occurred multiple times. In addition, the windshield wipers activated independently and the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rutland , VT, USA

Mar 122014

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated while starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis and stated that the air bag seat control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

Sep 032011

Sebring 6-cyl

I reported these problems back in September 2011 after I was involved in a car accident on the freeway. On September 03, 2011, I was driving on South I-43 freeway. When I attempted to make a lane change, my car went out of control due to steering failure. I could not steer my car, my steering wheel was very loose and there was no connection between the steering wheel and the vehicle itself. I was struck by another driver that hit my car on the passenger-side by the rear lower side panel. No airbag deployed. My car slammed up against the concrete wall barrier on the passenger-side of my car. I have side airbags, airbags in my seats, underneath my dash, in my steering wheel, one on the passenger's side above the glove compartment, and in all four window seals of my car and not one airbag deployed. I have adr system in my car that supposedly can record seconds of activity at the time of the accident. What happened to that information? I am still experiencing problems with my care that is definitely a safety issue such as; continuing replacing tie rod and the stabilizer bar loose. This problem started first having problems trying to turn the key in the ignition switch to crank the car and at times fearing that I might break the key in the ignition switch and having to really wiggle the steering wheel to get the switch to turn over. Pictures that were taken by my insurance company revealed a lot of rusty old looking parts underneath the car when in fact the motor of the car still looks new. My car was only two years old with a little over 17,000 miles at the time of purchase in October 2010. When I reported these all of these things in September 2011, I was told that there was no recalls on my car and I doubt if this car has any airbags in it. I learned after, I had the accident in my car, that the car had been wrecked and had possible frame damage at the time of purchase.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Sep 052012

Sebring 4-cyl

While I was sitting in my car at the traffic light which was red at the time. A dwi truck driver speeding and hit a moving car and push the car into my car and the drunk truck driver hit my car next at the same time cause another ca my car and the speeding dwi driver in the truck hit my car and my car was total out and I receive serious life time injury from the wreck.the dwi driver was given a traffic ticket and was taken to jail, however my air bags did not go off.I wastold by the doctor if my bag would have deployed I wouldn't have been injured so bad.

- Littlerock, AR, USA

Feb 282013

Sebring

Front driver seat started feeling loose, airbag light came on, low tire light came on and check oil light would come on every time car is started. A few days later the car didn't feel right and started making a loud knocking noise, took it to the mechanic and found out that tensioner belt became loose causing damage to the car. I had to get a new alternator, tensioner & pull, and transmission flushed/serviced as well as the power steering. Not very happy with this 2008 Sebring!!!!!

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 122012

Sebring

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. While driving 45 mph, the contact attempted to decelerate and applied the brakes but the vehicle did not respond. The failure caused the steering wheel to seize and the contact was unable to maneuver the vehicle, crashing into the median strip. The vehicle was destroyed and the air bags did not deploy. The contact and a passenger were injured as a result. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was contacted and the contact was awaiting a response. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA