8.0

1998 Chrysler Town & Country cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chrysler Town & Country:

1998 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Jun 012013

Town & Country LXI 3.8L

I have been having issues with the serpentine belt coming off of the pulleys in my van - and also it squealing almost constantly. The previous owners must have had similar issues, as they have replaced the serpentine belt twice, if not more, mainly for squealing, and belt slipping off.

I noticed that when I look at the pulleys and align them up, it looks to me as if the belt tensioner pulley is between 1/2 or more inches out of like with the other pulleys.

I am looking into a possible tensioner replacement, as well as researching the "dual-grooved" serpentine belt system, which apparently was available in this year van - the idler pulleys and the water pump pulley are all "grooved" pulleys, and the serpentine belt has grooves on both sides, which I bet was Chrysler's answer to this problem.

If I find more, I will update.

Update from Jul 6, 2013: Just discovered that Chrysler has a TSB on this issue - still trying to get details on it - TSB #070299 NHTSA ID # 606159.

- , Rapid CIty, SD, USA