2002 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler Town & Country:

2002 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 182016

N/a

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 192015

Town & Country

Car randomly stalls and has no power brakes, steering or control.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at 35 mph, the left turn signal was activated and all the lights, meters, and gauges on the instrument panel failed to function. In addition, the contact stated that the doors failed to automatically lock. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced; however, the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 172012

Town & Country

Given the news (May 14/15 2013) of the federal prop for notice of recall for Chrysler vehicles problems cutting off while driving with no warning or indication of any problem I request other vehicles (ie Chrysler vans) for this particular issue be seriously considered and submit the following: (note: I can provide all exact dates/miles documentation as the vehicle was serviced by Chrysler, woodbridge, va. I'm original owner of the vehicle.) I was driving my 2002 Chrysler Town & Country (VIN can be provided on request) approximately 50 miles an hour on route 50 about 20 miles East of winchester, va and my vehicle just shut off. No indications, no warning light, no other unusual noises. It just shut off. Luckily there was little traffic and I coasted to the shoulder. I attempted to start the vehicle several occasion and it would not turn on. All vehicle lights (interior/exterior) radio, fans etc were operational. I recall the roads were clear, weather cool and it was almost noon. Ultimately I had my vehicle towed and serviced by a Chrysler dealer service center in woodbridge, va. I did report that the vehicle just shut off and gave further information. After leaving the vehicle, it took the service center close to approximately a week or more to determine what the problem could be. Ultimately the engine computer module (ECM) was replaced and some electrical wiring harnesses. I also recall the Chrysler rep saying they needed their electrician to come and look at the vehicle as their mechanics could not find the problem. I can provide further comments and records. I do believe the ECM in my vehicle was changed out once before by Chrysler (possible previous recall (?). I may have a picture/info on the older ECM with serial number/date (possible 2005). Van is running fine since new ECM and other items that replaced..so far.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jul 022012

Town & Country 6-cyl

My 2002 Town and country had to have a new transmission in 11/12. In June of this year, my speedometer quit working causing the transmission to shift hard. I took it to the transmission guy who replaced the speed sensor. It worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then my battery light came on suddenly. I had my battery checked and they said it was fine. They said I might need a new alternator. So I had a new alternator put in. The car did ok for about a couple of weeks, then the speedometer started jumping erratically. I took back to my transmission guy who said the speed sensor was fine. He thinks it may be due to a loose wire or a possibly damaged wire or corrosion. So far, no answers and my car is still undrivable. It jumps when I am stopped. It acts like its already in second gear or something. I am afraid to try to drive it as it is dangerous. Help! I can not afford to put more money into this. It cost too much to start with. 3.8L V6 limited. I am a single mom with a child who has heart defects. I need reliable transportation!

- Lavalette, WV, USA

Aug 072012

Town & Country

My lights flicker on and off, replaced battery and alternator.. not fixed.. now I have been noticing that the panel behind my headlight switch gets very hot to the touch. Afraid of a fire... can't find any info on internet as to what can be the problem.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jul 132012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving vehicle at appropriate speed in traffic, noticed A/C was blowing warm air, smell of something burning and smoke under hood from passenger side. Immediately turned off air and stopped vehicle as soon as it was safe to do so. Upon opening the hood found smoke coming from right front engine bay area around alternator and A/C compressor. Allowed engine to ventilate and cool, restarted vehicle but with HVAC system off and drove to the nearest repair shop where the mechanic checked the vehicle. Mechanic changed the engine oil and recommended to charge the A/C system with refrigerant. Other mechanics suggested taking vehicle to A/C repair shop. Informed that T&C vehicles prone to have A/C compressor issues and known defect. Never received recall notice or offer by Chrysler to have known defect corrected.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jun 202012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, smoke emitted from under the hood. The contact inspected the vehicle and found the wiring harness was on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire and the vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 171,528.

- Danville , VA, USA

Sep 152011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Airbag warning light remains on at all times after starting vehicle and the steering wheel mounted cruise controls does not operate.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Aug 102011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Drivers window not working along with radio, the windshield wipers will not shut off even with key out of ignition, removed fuse and then the car would not start, once we had the car jumped the rear windshield wiper started and wouldn't stop and the dials in the dashboard starting spinning and car needs to get a jump each time it is shut off. No one can seem to find the problem with it. I called Chrysler and they stated that there was nothing they could do because the recalls are VIN specific and that one has not been recalled, despite the fact I am reading this happening to others who also have 2002 Chrysler Town & Country.

- Fall River , MA, USA

Jun 272011

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler Town and country. While the contact was at driving various speeds the engine stalled without prior warning. The engine restarted and the contact resumed normally. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and they were unable to locate the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000. Updated 8/29/11 the consumer also stated the vehicle had electrical problems and the PCM failed. Updated 10/05/11

- New Hide Park , NY, USA

Jun 132011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Contact states that fuel injection wiring harness failed at 127,800 miles due to melting and disintegration of insulation inside injector wiring harness. Vehicle lost power and driver was forced to seek assistance. Property damage to vehicle due to misfiring and engine overheating resulted in repair bills over $2,200 for new head gasket installation, replacement of fuel injection wiring harness and ECM. Repairs corrected electrical problems. Seeking recall on Chrysler injector wiring harness at fault on many of these vehicles.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Mar 202010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked and running when smoke began emitting from under the instrument panel. The vehicle was turned off and the contact inspected the vehicle to discover smoke bellowing from under the hood but no flames. The fuse box was disconnected and the contact found burned wires within the fuse box. The vehicle was repaired yet the failure recurred in less than one year. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who advised her to take the vehicle to the dealer for further inspection. The current mileage was approximately 150,000 and the failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Washington, ME, USA

Jan 122011

Town & Country

My heater fan only comes on when I turn the knob to high, the same thing happens to my sisters Town and country there must be a defect here because the garage stated that these vehicles are known for that. It is winter and I cannot afford to fix this on my own, and if there is a defect Chrysler should replace the part. It gets cold when I have to turn the knob down, I heard there is a card of some sort behind the glove box. How easy is this problem to fix. Also my rear wiper spring is faulty is there a recall on this.

- Leicester, MA, USA

Jan 072011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that when he attempted to reset the vehicle trip computer, he noticed an error message which caused the speedometer to fail. The contact was unable to determine at what speed he was driving. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed for the failure. The failure and the current mileage were 48,684. Updated 03/16/11 updated 12/14/11

- Franklyn, WI, USA

Jun 152010

Town & Country

Van started running rough and smoking heavy blue/white smoke out the exhaust pipe. The smoke was from raw unburned fuel that was pouring into the engine and unable to be burned off at any RPM below 3000. The van was fine when last parked at our residence. Next day wife was going to the store and van immediately had the problem. Cool engine, had been sitting overnight. She drove about half a mile thinking the van would run smoother before seeing and smelling the gas and smoke. She immediately returned the van to the house. I checked the diagnostic code which indicated P0201: #1 fuel injector open circuit. I am fairly handy with vehicle repairs and decided to take the top half of the intake off to check the #1 injector and inspect the other 5 as well while there. All injectors coil resistance checked fine at 12.5 ohms, no open circuit as indicated. Decided to check the fuel rail wiring harness for a short circuit and sure enough the #1 cylinder wiring indicated a short circuit. With the meter on the injected plug, wiggled the harness and the short went away. So I removed the entire injected wiring harness for inspection, this involved removing all the factory wire wrap and protective sleeve. Discovered that all the wires inside the harness had all the insulation missing at one section next to the main harness connector. The harness was protected and not touching any part of the engine yet failed. I contacted local Chrysler parts dept. And inquired about a replacement harness, response was new harness over $200 and had to be ordered. Was also told that this particular harness which fits 2001 - 2003 Chrysler vans, is ordered by Chrysler garages at 53 units a week. This is where the problem lies. This is a factory flaw and needs to be recalled before a fire starts or toxic fumes from the exhaust injures a passenger. There is no heat shield at this connectors location which I believe caused the harness failure. I repaired the harness and engine runs.

- Mulkeytown, IL, USA

Oct 162009

Town & Country

Component: Electrical system my complaint is exactly the same as following complaint. It occurs every time I drive the vehicle. Details: 2002 Chrysler Town and country service tire system soon indication keeps coming on. Then it says "see owners manual". there is little or no information in the owners manual and it does say contact the dealer for service. I called the dealer and talked with the service manager and he said there was nothing they could do and I should check the air in the tires. I have done this numerous times and always find the tire air pressure to be normal. The vehicle is equipped with tire pressure sensors and I also get low pressure warnings in the spring and fall. I am forced to keep 35 pounds of air pressure or more to keep the low pressure warning from coming on. Occurrences: 1 injuries: 0

- Anderson, MO, USA

Oct 182009

- Norman, OK, USA

Mar 052009

Town & Country

2002 Chrysler Town & Country lxi. Turn signal indicator lights inside vehicle are malfunctioning, we are unaware if they malfunction outside, other lights are shorted out inside in the "dash" area. These are all indicators of an electrical short somewhere in the vehicle. Also the power rear door on the driver's side does not open using the keypad when it is cool or raining. We were told by dealership at the time of purchase that it didn't operate at all and needed a new motor, that's why we were "getting a good price". the rear power doors will both also almost close all the way, and then open for not reason, I.e. nothing in the way at all. The rear power doors will also not close if you are on a very slight slant. The liftgate gives a hard time latching when using keypad. The vehicle was purchased in October 2008 preowned from a dealership. These issues cause a major safety threat. Others with the same make, model and year are having similar problems. I feel that this vehicle has many problems and should be recalled at least for the faulty wiring and electrical system.

- Easton, PA, USA

Sep 292008

Town & Country

Vehicle ran poorly at times and occasionally stumbled or stalled. Sometimes we would be partly in a busy intersection. Perform diagnostics and inspection, remove exhaust for inspection of harness and repair damaged wiring and install protective heat wrap. Cost: $268.93 could have been very dangerous in traffic.

- Bristol, FL, USA