2003 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chrysler Town & Country:

2003 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Nov 032003

Town & Country

This vehicle was purchased new by me on 03/29/03. After 6 months the power steering pump became noisy and the steering would shudder. I brought the vehicle to the dealer on 11/03/03 @ 10,450 miles. Dealer replaced power steering return hose under warranty. The steering is still noisy and still shudders. On 02/02/04 @ 13,083 miles, vehicle brought to dealer due to power steering fluid leak and shuddering. Leak fixed, power steering still noisy and shudders. On 03/25/04 @ 15,622 miles brought to dealer because power steering is noisy and still shudders. Told by dealer that they couldn't find anything wrong. On 03/29/05 @ 30,408 miles brought to dealer because power steering still noisy and shudders. Dealer performed recall D-37, replaced power steering return hose. This did not correct the problem. This problem still continues to this day. I have all the records pertaining to this problem.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Jan 042007

Town & Country

At low out-side temperature the power steering fails to work properly. When the vehicle is idle and a turn is about to occur, a whining noise is noted and the steering wheel does not respond unless the engine is accelerated, occasionally losing control at turning. This event occurs only in wintertime when temperature drops below 70 degree F and when the vehicle is cold. As out-side temperature increase (about 80 degree F) whining noise goes away and the power steering works perfectly. This is not notice during any other season time. Only at winter time when the out-side temperature drops below 70 degree F and as temperature keeps dropping, it becomes worse. The power fluid is changed periodically to alleviate the whining and the power steering has been replaced about three times. This has been happening since 12/2006.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Oct 062008

Town & Country

I purchased the 2003 town/Chrysler van about 3 months. Ago as soon as I got it it started to make noises, I took the vehicle back to the dealer, they stated it need power steering fluid in which they did put in the van. A couple of days later the van started making noises again. I later got a letter in the mail stating that there was a recall concerning the power steering pump, I also found out there is a recall on the rear back door in which they the Chrysler dealer states they will fix for free. The biggest problem they want fix for free is the steering rack which is leaking. I don't feel that this is my fault and the finance people are hounding me to pay $529 a month on a vehicle that is soon to be out of remission. Is there someone that can help me get out of this deal.

- Hiram, GA, USA

Mar 152006

Town & Country

In March of 2006 we noticed that our Town & Country mini van was steering sloppy, lose and had loud noises coming from the area of the steering rack. After having the car inspect, it was determined that the steer rack had failed with only 53000 miles on it. We contacted Chrysler and was told that it is out of warranty and would not be covered. We had the steering rack replaced and this year in March, the second rack failed, which we also had replaced. In July of this year the third steering rack failed, and I was told by the service manager at the dealership that they have had "problems" with these steering racks.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jun 012008

Town & Country

Steering rack on my Chrysler Town and country 2003 minivan let go at 75,000 miles and according to our repairman is a defect and should be reported to get a recall. Then I looked online and thousands of other Chrysler and Dodge owners are having the same exact problem.

- Henniker, NH, USA

May 282008

Town & Country

Steering locks up during cold and/or wet conditions. I grinding noise is always present but gets very loud during slow turns. On first dealer visit I was told the ps pump was the problem and there was a recall pertaining to that unit. After the recall service was performed, the same noise was diagnosed as a brake problem. Now that the brake caliperand rotors have been replaced the dealer indicated rack system needs to be replaced. This has become more than a nuisance it is a safety issue when steering become unreliable.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 012008

Town & Country 6-cyl

About 6 months ago I started hearing a whine/groan when making sharp turns. It was originally decided that I need a new power steering pump. I took my vehicle in while getting my tires changed it was then switched to I needed a new power steering rack. Every garage told me something different. 1500 dollars later I am with a new power steering pump, reservoir, rack, cooler hose, and fin packed hose and still the whine and shudder and groan while making sharp turns or into parking spaces. I am in tears and feel helpless with this vehicle. It's in gorgeous condition, however totally unaware of if I want it anymore to drive my children around in due to safety concerns. After spending 20K + on a vehicle, where is the customer service and satisfaction??

- North Adams, MA, USA

Jan 252007

Town & Country 6-cyl

- the contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Town and country. While driving at 65 mph the vehicle stalled. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle and installed a transmission carrier, but indicated that the fuel injection pump could also be the cause of the failure. This incident occurred for three weeks and continued to occur after being repaired. The failure occurred when the vehicle was hot or cold. The contact stated that there were no warning indicator lights when the stalling occurred. However, when the vehicle lost power the oil light indicator was lit. The contact felt unsafe driving the vehicle due to the frequent stalling incidents, including one that occurred at 1 am. Updated 2/22/2007 -now the vehicle exhibits a rough start condition. The steering had become very tight and makes noise. The radio will not play and the vehicle cuts off when it is on. Transmission problems. The horn will not sound. Rear wipers stopped working.

- Akron , OH, USA

Apr 082006

Town & Country 6-cyl

Low moaning noise coming from the front end. More pronounced during cold weather and when making turns. Dealer told me the brakes were bad (after 25K miles). Replaced the brakes and the noise still there. Over time the noise became even louder. Couldn't stand the noise any longer and took the car to the dealer 20 months later at 45K miles. I was told the power steering pump, water pump, serpentine belt, and tensioner needed replacing. The water pump was under warranty. Replaced everything and moaning noise returned the next day (it sounded worse). Dealer drained P.S. fluid and added P.S. fluid conditioner and the noise is now gone. While listening for the moaning noise to return I'm hearing noises I haven't heard before. I wonder if the P.S. fluid was the problem from the beginning. It would have saved me over nine hundred dollars in repair costs.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

Aug 212004

Town & Country

While turning left with the turn signal engaged, the steering wheel locked and failed to return back to the center. The consumer had to physically snatch the steering wheel to move it back. The consumer stated that a considerable amount of force was required to get the steering wheel to move back to the center position causing something to break internally in the steering column.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Feb 062004

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving at normal speed vehicle unexpectedly veered to the right. Driver grabbed the steering wheel and the steer wheel did a complete turn but the vehicle didn't respond. As a result the vehicle went into a ditch.

- Duluth, MN, USA