CarComplaints.com Notes: Chances are you didn't want to have to buy a used minivan, but chances are you _also_ didn't realize how much stuff you need to travel with kids. When it comes to hauling around piles of diaper bags and coolers full of snacks, you could do worse than the 2004 Town & Country. Especially when you compare it to the 2005.

1.8

2004 Chrysler Town & Country fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Town & Country:

2004 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 312015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 55 mph after filling the tank with fuel, the vehicle stalled. The contact coasted to the side of the road and waited approximately three minutes. Afterwards, the vehicle restarted and operated normally. The failure recurred right after filling the vehicle with fuel approximately nine times. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified on the failure. The contact also received a recall notification for a fueling issue with the vehicle. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Spirit Lake, IA, USA

Jan 202016

Town & Country

After filling up with fuel, the car was started, and driven out of the gas station, but less than 50 feet out onto the road, the car lost power then regained power then lost it cycling rapidly through this where RPM would come up to idle speed than drop to near zero up and down. No ability to move out of traffic, etc., eventually completely stalled. The car started hard, but restarted and I could drive out of harms way. The car drove for about 2 blocks and acted up again for a few moments and then performed fine. This problem also occurred for another driver in the family about 2 weeks (4 fuel fills) earlier.

- Eleva, WI, USA

Feb 212014

Town & Country

Our 2004 has been stalling since before February, 2014, before 91077 miles. 2/14 was when I started keeping records of problem. Whether I waited or not, with engine running before leaving the station, the van would stall after idling while waiting for traffic to clear, and I pulled out into traffic on a state highway. It restarts right away. I fuel up close to interstate and at times it either stalls or hesitates on entrance ramp. In an article from cbs May 2014 the NHTSA questioned Chrysler about 150,000 vans, and 160,000 Dodge charger and magnums with this problem. In a letter to NHTSA on 8-9-2013 Chrysler stated: "data shows that stall after refuel incidents present a low risk of accident or injury. The majority of stall after refuel incidents occur at low speeds or when the vehicle is stopped". that is not true. When I pull into traffic and van stalls or hesitates, I have not applied my brake, the van stops with no warning to vehicle behind. I've seen what damage crashes even at 35 mph can do. When it happens on entrance ramp to interstate and the van stalls as I am accelerating with vehicles following, there is no warning to vehicles behind me when they are expecting an increase in speed and I come to a roll and am fighting the steering wheel with no power steering to pull to side to get out of traffic's way till I can shift to neutral and restart engine. We have 77 printed articles in hand, out of countless numbers from the internet, about this problem, with no resolve. We will gladly send you these, but you can see them from the net also.what finally brought this to a head is my wife almost got rear-ended entering the interstate. I have just found out what the cause is after years of Chrysler dealers and local garages trying to repair this, with no luck, looking for a fix before a crash happens.

- Walton, KY, USA

Nov 212015

Town & Country

After refueling the van the engine starts easily, I then pull out into traffic and then the engine stalls out in traffic. This only happens after filling the tank full. Usually will restart after the starter cranks a bit. Then the van runs fine until I refill the gas tank again. This has happened on numerous occasions since I purchased the vehicle used three years ago. Your form only has room for one occasion to report.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 012005

Town & Country

In 2005 a 2004 Chrysler T & C platinum series van was purchased. In the spring, we traveled across country on a family vacation putting over 9,000 miles on it and never experienced a problem with it. Shortly after returning home, (NY) I had my first frightening experience while trying to enter a state highway where vehicles were going 70 M.P.H. I had just refueled and merged onto the highway when the car stalled and I rolled to side of the highway.( no power steering, no brakes) I tried to restart it several times before it would "catch." Since that first episode occurred, it has been repetitive to this date. 11/11/15 I repeatedly took it to my Chrysler dealer (who, by the way has been rated no. 1 in the country) with the same complaint. The fuel line was "flushed" several times and was fruitless in any resolve of the problem. It has occurred when in a traffic circle, traveling in traffic, and just trying to enter the road after stopping for a stop sign. Always only after refueling.today, it is at the dealership for yet again another try at fixing the problem along with a fuel pump replacement. While I understand this investigation has been "closed", I can't understand why you would wait for something catastrophic to happen before taking any action on this complaint by so many people. After not having resolve with the dealer, I called Chrysler and it was suggested that I have the serviceman come along with me when I refuel to duplicate the problem or have the service manager call their engineering dept. Chrysler should be made to make this right for all parties affected by this potentially dangerous problem.

- Orient, NY, USA

Aug 182013

Town & Country

Right after vehicle passed the 100,000 mile mark around August of 2013 the van would start to chug and stall as soon as you filled up the gas tank. First time this happened was attempting to merge into traffic and was almost hit since lost steering and could not control the vehicle. Had wife and 3 kids in the van. Issue still happening on every fill up. Usually once you restart the vehicle it drives normal. Researched and found that this stalling issue is very common with the 2004 Town & Country. Apparently the issue stems from the filter on top of the gas tank which Chrysler is aware of, but no recall. Have tried to not fill completely up which sometimes helps, but stalling can still happen. Many similar complaints of this issue with potential accidents so a little surprised this has not been addressed by Chrysler. Guess it's a numbers game and a certain number of people have to get killed and lawsuits pile up before it becomes economical to get reviewed and addressed.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Sep 042015

Town & Country

After filling fuel tank up, I drove out of station and van stalled and quit running. I started it up again, drove about 100 feet and it stalled again. This has happened 4 times after filling up with gas.very dangerous pulling into traffic out of gas station!

- Sauk Rapids, MN, USA

Apr 272015

Town & Country 6-cyl

Engine stalled after refueling. This caused my wife to panic with 4 kids in the van, and it was difficult to restart on a busy road during rush hour.

- Hall, NY, USA

Sep 062006

Town & Country

After gas fill up van shuts off no warning steering locks, thank god I never had a accident this is a very serious problem. I noticed alot of other complaints Chrysler should recall this problem. I know they know about it so fix it. Would they want to drive this vehicle with a very serious problem who knows maybe there has been alot of accidents from this. How many claims have there been for accidents. We bought this used and it happens everytime you fill up. Maybe that's why they got rid of it.

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Dec 252013

Town & Country 6-cyl

After fueling, as I pulled out onto the highway, the car stalled. I was able to coast to the side of the highway and restart the engine. It happened several times last year, always after fueling, and is becoming more frequent since December of 2014. Depending on where it occurs, it is extremely dangerous to stall when entering a steady flow of traffic. I've researched this problem, and it is a fact that it is common in Chrysler vehicles, particularly those with mileage over 100,000 thousand miles.......to my knowledge there has been no recall on this problem, and information that I've researched says that Chrysler doesn't consider it a problem. They suggest taking the vehicle to a dealership for analysis.

- Schnecksville, PA, USA

Nov 182014

Town & Country 6-cyl

For the past five years (since 2009), my 2004 Chrysler Town & Country van wants to die soon after every time that is filled with gas (no matter the octane type). The problem most typically resolves itself after 5 minutes or so, but in the interim there have been numerous close calls as the van loses function with the power trying to die. I have ended up learning to drive with the car in neutral and coast while revving the van. Or better yet at a stop light race the engine with the car in neutral (I see nothing bad that can happen with this solution!!). for the most part the car is used only when needed anymore as we are terrified of filling the car up. We are very lucky to be able to drive it part time but some people aren't so fortunate and this is a car that drives many families. It is deplorable to see so many people having this problem and yet no one chooses to acknowledge the design flaw of the vapor/liquid valve. Please take notice of this problem before someone is seriously injured or killed!

- Norman, OK, USA

May 282012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Engine stalled after fill up without any warning. After refill as car left gas station engine RPM went down and engine stalled. It happened in unexpected places like entering busy road or starting from traffic light. Driver gets no warning like check-engine light indicator and engine just stops. Asked dealer to check the problem few times, but minivan was returned back and dealer could not repro the problem. Did not feel safe to drive as I had no idea when to expect engine to stop working, till I found internet forums mentioning this failure and the only way to resolve this issue was to replace fuel tank.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Apr 302012

Town & Country 6-cyl

After filling the vehicle full with gas and driving away the vehicle will buck, surge or stall at random times in the first 2-5 minutes of use. Tricky pulling out of lot or into traffic as car will stall and make vehicle hard to turn. Chrysler said the know there is a problem and the were willing to split the repair with me.($700 out of my own pocket). So I just don't fill it all the way. Cant sell or trade the vehicle in because I don't want blood on my hands if someone gets hurt.

- West Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 102010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Immediately after filling the gas tank and restarting engine the engine will stall within the first 100 yards of travel. This is a recurring problem that has happened many times always right after filling the gas tank. This creates a serious safety hazard as you loose control of the steering, engine power right as your are trying to enter traffic. The vehicle has been taken to multiple service shops both Chrysler and other and the problem has not been able to be corrected.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Sep 032012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Town and country. Immediately after refueling, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Carnegie, PA, USA

Sep 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Immediately after refueling engine runs rough like a severe misfire condition for several minutes. If a stop is made during this misfire time frame a stall often occurs. Flooring the accelerator often helps "power through" or clear the condition, but not in every occurrence. This occurs every time fuel is added regardless if the tank is filled completely (until pump stops automatically) or partially (pump cut off by vehicle owner). Status of tank at time of fill up also does not have an effect on the occurrence of this problem, it does not matter if the tank is half, one-fourth, or three-fourths full, problem always persists after fueling. This condition is not dependent on weather conditions, current maintenance status, or by which gas station or pump is used at the station. No mil illumination (except with bulb check after stall) and no codes stored to record incident in PCM. No history in PCM to indicate an issue. Suspect this has something to do with evap or fuel vapor system not operating properly after filling gas tank.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

Jun 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Shortly after filling up with fuel, the vehicle stalls and dies. This has happened several times and we have tried a few different service remedies (fuel additives) with no improvement. We have noticed that this only happens after fill up usually in traffic at less than opportunistic times. Fortunately no accidents yet.

- Hastings, NE, USA

Jul 032014

Town & Country

After fueling, left the station and drove approximately a half mile when the van's engine stalled and the van lost power. It was quite dangerous since I had no control over the vehicle until it coasted to a stop. An internet search revealed many people experiencing the same problem caused by a faulty valve in the fuel tank.

- Cold Spring, MN, USA

Jan 012010

Town & Country

Every time when fill up the gas tank the engine will stalled (but you can start up ) will run rough for 4 to 5 miles after that engine will back to normal condition, I have known a lot people have a same problem with there types of vehicles, this does sound like a design flaw. About 75,000 miles it started to stall right after filling up. It is a dangerous situation especially if it stalls in the middle of an intersection or on railroad tracks. Chrysler should recall there types of vehicle.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Jan 132014

Town & Country

Minivan stalled after fueling up. Took the van immediately to a Chrysler dealer who could not find any problem. Then after a couple weeks, the same problem occurred after fueling and attempting to make a left hand turn. Then the van almost stalled the next time filling the tank up and entering a highway (gas purchased in a different state at a different gas station). Then again after filling up with a premium name brand superior fuel and a gas additive. Very concerned about this problem and not sure we can trust dealer after misdiagnosis the first time.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA