6.9

2. pull out the 20A "iod" fuse, then reseat it (3 reports)
  3. replace bcm (body control module) (3 reports)
  4. make a formal complaint to the nhtsa 18883274236 (1 reports)
  5. reprogrammed the bcm module (1 reports)
  6. unhook battery (1 reports)
2005 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country:

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Nov 152012

Town & Country 3.3L

Its been a real pain I have 9 Grandchildren and its a pain to have to worry about my stuff stollen

- , Vista, CA, USA

Apr 192012

Town & Country

Remote and inside locks don't work. Complain to the NHTSA 18883274236, and Chrysler 18009921997

Maybe enough owners do this, a recall will happen!

- , Brookyn Center, MN, USA

Nov 082008

Town & Country V6

After 2 years of blissful service, my door locks stopped working on a cold November day after I had to replace a dead battery. I bought the car used in August 2006 and had no issues until the battery failure in November 2008.

Well, the battery died right there in the Costco fuel pumping bay after I filled that baby up. Bought the new battery and installed it right there in the CostCo parking lot.

I didn't notice until a few days later that my door locks weren't actually working. I don't remember what tipped me off. I attempted to replace the fuse. Nothing. Whenever I press the keyfob, the horn chirps, but the locks don't work. Pressing the interior door lock button doesn't work either.

So, for 4 years I drove the van without working electrical locks.

It is a complete pain in the arse to lean over the front seat to get the passenger door unlocked. EVERY TIME. And the poor passenger side sliding door is so neglected that it now works when it wants to.

I think this is a serious enough issue that Chrysler should give us all the software reboot to the BCM free.

- , Southeast, MO, USA

Dec 012012

Town & Country V6

This is the 2nd time the door locks have failed. Attempted to unhook the battery and that fix did not work.

For a brief 4 weeks, the power locks worked again after I replaced my 4 year old battery. Then, whammo, that cold December afternoon, they stopped working again.

I think static got something. I had stepped out of the car -- with the keys still in the ignition -- to take a walker out of the back. When I went to leave the car after parking it, the door locks no longer worked when they had earlier that day.

It is frustrating and this is a pain in the arse.

- , Southeast, MO, USA

Jan 142013

Town & Country Llimited 3.8L

I know I should not mention that this is the Third Time my Power Locks have STOPPED WORKING. However, with 3 Grandkids and only one door that unlocks with a key is like I said in my complaint is: "a pain in the ass".

First repair a mechanic, I believed disconnected the battery, and had me replace batteries in remote keys. Second time, I personally removed every fuse from the relay box and reinstalled. How lucky was that, when it worked. Don't remember the time of each fuse being disconnected.

The THIRD TIME, I discovered www.carcomplaints.com via a Google search. and removed IOD Fuse and it worked, I will now call the dealer to see how much it will cost to Flash Software Updated.

Thanks for your support, where dealers fail miserably.

Jimmy Sprinkle Sr, Barboursville, VA 22923

- , Barboursville, VA, USA

Aug 022012

Town & Country

getting tired of having to make sure doors are locked... and having to go under the hood... can do it, but annoying....

- , Sac City, IA, USA

Jan 132012

Town & Country Limited 3.8L V6

I was told the car had lost battery power and the BCM Module was "Flashed". It has been three weeks and so far so good.

- , Vinton, VA, USA

Jan 092012

Town & Country LX 3.3L

Read enough of the complaint on the same problem for T&C and Caravan. Starting happening a few months ago. did reprogramming; reset with the IOD Fuse; it works for a few days and then same problem. Now it is getting worse. Reset the IOD fuse will work a few days. Can someone tell me if spending $400 for a new BCM(body control module) will once for all fixing the electrical problem??

- , Monterey Park, CA, USA

Dec 032011

Town & Country 3.8lV6

THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THE LOCKS HAVE STOPPED WORKING AND THE FIRST FIX COST ME 150.00, NOTHING WAS REPLACED ONLY REPROGRAMMED. THIS TIME THE DEALER SAID IT WAS THE BCM, COST TO FIX $450.00. I JUST HAD NEW BRAKES AND EQUALIZER BUSHINGS PUT IN ALONG WITH NEW TIRES. THIS VAN HAS SOME NICE FEATURES BUT I CAN'T AFFORD THEM, IT HAS BECOME A SAND HOLE THAT I THROW MONEY IN.I'M GOING TO FORD!

- , Grand Rapids, MN, USA

Sep 012010

Town & Country 3.4L

My doors for a while will not lock unless I do it by hand. It has been like this for a while but I just found this site to complain.... Surprised at how many ppl have same issues as my van!

- , Riga, Michigan, USA

Jun 292011

Town & Country Touring

So on top of all the other electrical issues I am having, I can't lock or unlock my electric doors with the remote or with the door button. All doors have to be locked manually.

- , Grand Junction, CO, USA

Sep 132009

Town & Country LX 3.3L V6

Constant problem. Can pull the fuse, reset it and it work for a week at the most.

- , South Windsor, CT, USA

Feb 052010

Town & Country Limited V6

This has been a recurring problem. The Chrysler Dealership can NEVER seem to find the issue. My van has been "on fire" with some sort of electrical meltdown or burn out EIGHT different times since I bought it brand new with 22 miles on it. The door locks being stuck locked is only the residual effect that seems unable to be fixed. The dealer's solution is to undo the battery's cable so that "no codes" show when a diagnostic test is run. I know of two other personal friends who own this same van model who have similar issues in my area. Chrysler claims this is not a widespread problem. I have stopped driving this vehicle and placed an emergency glass breaking hammer inside the driver's door just in case I am ever stuck inside if the thing catches fire again and the locks fail.

- , Petal, MS, USA

Aug 012010

Town & Country Touring

I've had to reset the fuse a few times now. The fuse isn't bad, as it's still working. However, I may replace it just for kicks. All you have to do is pull out the 20amp "iod" fuse, then reseat it. that's it!

- , Bethel Park, PA, USA

Jun 092010

Town & Country Touring 3.8V6

I have had tons of issues with this van. The sway bar bushings wore out every 15,000 miles (that is that knocking sound that comes from the front end. Supposedly they just came out with bushings that wont wear out, it only took 5 years. Now the power door locks, key ability to remotely lock and unlock as well as use the internal switches don't work. Its a real pain in the ass. And the kicker on top of this is I have replaced the brakes and rotors twice on the vehicle it wears out brakes like there is no tomorrow at the tune of 600-700 per replacement

- , Glen Allen, VA, USA

Dec 132006

Town & Country 3.7L

I HAVE HAD ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS EARLY ON. HAD THE LEFT SLIDING DOOR LOCK FAIL THEN A FEW MONTHS LATER THE RT SIDE. I HAVE HAD STEERING PROBLEMS FROM ABOUT 6 MONTHS AFTER BUYING THE VAN. I HAVE HAD 3 OR 4 RACK AND PINIONS REPLACED. HAVE HAD STEERING COLUMN PROBLMS, STEERING BOOT REPLACED. THE DEALRSHIP DOS NOTHING BUT WD40 IT! GREENBRIAR CHRYSLER IS THE WORST DEALERSHIP IN MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEM. MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS COME ON RIGHT WHEN MY TRANSMISSION FAILED IT SLIPPED FROM DRIVE TO NEUTRAL WHILE I WAS GOING 35MPH. THERE ARE SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE VEHICLE

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Town & Country LX 3.6L

have the same problem. now the check engine light stays on. what a piece of poop

- , Parker, CO, USA

Jun 172009

Town & Country V6

My power locks do not work with the fob or with the inside power lock button. I've read so many complaints online about this exact issue that it is actually making me more angry. The door looks are a pretty basic feature of a vehicle. Not to mention the fact that people don't normally buy minivans unless they have kids etc. We have 2 kids under 2, and one more on the way. My pregnant wife can not hold 2 children while she crawls in and out of the van unlocking the doors. By the way, it makes the sweet automatic opening doors pretty useless, bc they won't unlock! Definitely calling Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997, and making formal complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Hopefully they will do an investigation. (Their website is www.nhtsa.dot.gov or you can call them at 1-888-327-4236) My first Dodge/Chrysler, maybe my last.

- , Prattville, AL, USA

Mar 262007

Town & Country

I have taken this vehicle at least 3 times to be repaired for this same problem. It started out with just the remote key entry not working. Then a Five Star Dealer worked on this problem initially. It was fixed for about a week. Then as a result my DVD player wasn't working. They swore the two were not connected, but I had to take the vehicle back again to have the locks fixed again. The biggest problem with this is when Chrysler has to order the BCM (body control module), the vehicle has to have the same mileage as when they order the part... meaning you have to take the car in so they can order the darn part. During the latest visit they had to re-order the BCM a second time while the vehicle was in the shop because the first one they received was not working. Not even 30 days went by and the only way to enter the car is using the key in the driver side door. The interior door lock switch is also not functional. It blows my mind that one can spend 30K on a car and not be able to lock and unlock the vehicle. Either the dealer who will remain nameless is clueless or there is a real design flaw. I plan on taking this up with Chrysler.

- , Wilmington, NC, USA