CarComplaints.com Notes: What the heck happened here? A year after getting our "seal of pretty good" for the 2004, Chrysler turns around and delivers this crapwagon.

This minivan has problems ranging from rack and pinion steering failure to door locks that won't let you out. And trust me, you'll want to get out.

1.7

2005 Chrysler Town & Country fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country:

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012011

Town & Country

Problem started 01/2011 at approximately 100,000 miles.vehicle stalls after filling gas tank. If you fill tank and pump shuts off the vehicle will stall after a couple minutes. Doesn't happen all the time but, about 85% of the time. It stalls anywhere from 1-3 times. It has stalled when I was in traffic driving and when I sit stationary and wait for it to happen before driving. Almost got rear ended on a couple of occasions. Had a repair on it at the dealer on 03/17/2011. They replaced the evap canister. Copy attached. It fixed the problem for about a year and a half and then it came back. I've seen lots of complaints on the internet for the same issue. I've read that the only fix is to replace the entire fuel tank. I can't afford that. For years now I've been sitting at the pump for 5 minutes after fueling or I don't fill the tank all the way up. The stalling is very dangerous because it can happen at any time when stationary, driving and turning. It is very dangerous when driving in traffic and going through intersections. I want to sell my car but, I'm afraid of getting sued if this defect causes an accident. I have not received any information from Chrysler for a recall. They really need to look into this common complaint.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Aug 252016

Town & Country

After filling with fuel, (not topping off),engine will stall in front of traffic.replaced fuel tank on 10/28/11, doing same thing again!Chrysler has a tsb #14-001-16rev.a dated 02/25/2016,15K miles, unlimited milage extended warranty, but not this VIN#.this vehicle is unsafe, my tech line has 3 cases.call 417-739-2324

- Reeds Spring, MO, USA

Sep 072016

Town & Country

Fuel tank multifunction control valve is not operating correctly, so vehicle stalls after refueling. The vehicle stalls after refueling both while stationary or in motion, on city streets and at gas stations. I contacted the manufacturer Chrysler and Chrysler refused to include my vehicle with the existing recall. I have a second Town and country that is included in the recall, and I have attached that recall letter.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Aug 142016

Town & Country

My van dies on me while driving after I fill up with gas. Does it every time now. I pull out of the gas station and am in the street and it dies, I restart it after a minute but as I travel further into traffic and slow down behind another car or a light it dies again. It seems to be getting worse each time. I read other complaints for the same thing and that it was a bad part so I called customer service. They said tough, the factory warranty was up. When I asked further they hung up on me. I live on a very windy and hilly road with zero shoulder, just a mild to steep drop off into trees. If I stall in the middle of this road, no oncoming car will see me in time to stop and they can't go onto a non-existant shoulder. It will be worse when snow and ice come. I have kids and no extra car to use. If this is a because of a faulty part shouldn't they fix it or recall it" I am clearly not the only one with this problem. There are tons of people complaining of the exact same thing with the same van. What can I do" on the date below where it asks when did this happen I am putting the last time it happened since I can't put a range of dates.

- Pacific, MO, USA

Dec 232015

Town & Country

I began having the exact same complaint as the 2004-5 Dodge vans have with regard to stalling about 1 minute after a fill up. It has happened at every fill up since December 2015, and sporadically before, but I did not recognize the source of the stalling. I called Chrysler and they told me my van was made in the windsor (affected plant) on 6-10-2005 but that the recall/repair shut off in April, I believe. It seems too big a coincidence to me. This has been dangerous since on some trips, I am on the interstate getting gas and get back on when the stall occurs. Is there any recourse for me? it has been occuring ever since December, that is when it started, at least that is when it has been happening without letup.

- Athens, GA, USA

Mar 032016

Town & Country

Vehicle smells like gasoline after each use. Fuel is visibly leaking at the fuel line connection to the fuel tank. The VIN search comes up without results but the make/model search lists a fuel line recall. What gives?

- Fort Sam Houston, TX, USA

Feb 232016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. While traveling 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. After ten minutes, the vehicle restarted. When the fuel tank was half full, the vehicle immediately ran out of fuel. In addition, the warning lights on the instrument panel no longer illuminated and the seat belt sensor warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 265,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 302015

Town & Country

Was driving through an intersection (after stopped at a red light) and vehicle shut off in the middle of intersection with no warning. Also, for months now, the lights and gauges in dashboard have flickered on and off while driving... we took it to dealer and they re-set the computer but it didn't resolve the light flickering issue. We have replaced the alternator and also had the battery checked.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Aug 042015

Town & Country

After filling up gas tank, vehicle stalls and jerks. A little while later, it may shut down entirely or the vehicle may stall again while pressing the accelerator. Vehicle has shut down on major road and stalled badly on main highway.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Aug 072015

Town & Country

Stalling after refueling began on our vehicle about a month ago. Today, with my son in the van, it stalled on the highway 610 garrisionville, stafford va.. the danger was that I was on a turn and the steering wheel became impossible for me to turn it. This is a major safety issue, and my hope is that Chrysler makes good on a defective part. (I see they did that after a gov't investigation of a similar nature for other cars) it seems to stall after filling and have not yet had it happen again till I refuel the tank..

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jun 232015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and several attempts had to be made before the vehicle could restart. In addition, the contact mentioned that an odor of fuel emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis, who noticed that an excessive amount of fuel was leaking onto the ground, as a result of a ruptured fuel line. The vehicle was not serviced because the dealer informed that the part needed had not been available for over a year. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000. MA 10/15/2015

- Decatur, TN, USA

Jun 032015

Town & Country

Van has started stalling out after filling the tank. It usually stalls shortly after leaving that station while speeding up after a turn. So far it hasn't completely died but I have to rev the engine to keep it running. I have found several complains on-line that say the repair is to completely replace the fuel tank and canister the same as the repair for the 300, the magnum and the charger.

- Raeford, NC, USA

Nov 212011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Fill up with fuel (not topped off, just until the pump clicks off) and the car starts, but after going several hundred feet, the engine starts to sputter and choke, then the car dies. Must restart and usually it still chokes and sputters, but then will seem to resolve once you step on the gas and will not typically stall out until the next fuel up when we rinse and repeat the same experience. This happens every time I fuel up and has for over three and a half years. I finally decided to do some research on it because it's very nerve wracking as it happens once you leave the service station and are out in traffic. This is extremely dangerous and needs to be addressed before someone is killed because of a faulty gas tank! I found that Chrysler has addressed this problem with some of their vehicles this is occurring to, but not the minivans. There are a ton of complaints on the internet I'm finding - here is just one example en.allexperts.com/Q/Chrysler-repair-807/F/stalling-refueling.htm.

- Kalama, WA, USA

Apr 292015

Town & Country

Has happened numerous times now. Vehicle cuts out and steering goes out after getting gas. Has happened on busy road and is terrifying. Have seen several such complains about this make and model.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 262015

Town & Country

Every time I get gas the engine stalls a few minutes later causing power steering and brakes to fail and stopping acceleration into traffic. A very dangerous situation.

- Payson, AZ, USA

Apr 272015

Town & Country

Van stalled in the middle of an intersection right after filling with fuel. This happens every time after the van is refueled.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 012014

Town & Country

After filling the vehicle with fuel it stalled out, after restarting it stalled again. After restarting it for the second time it ran rough for about an 1/8 to 1/4 mile then began to run normally.

- Moorestown, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

Town & Country

The car stalls after fuel tank fill up. This happens every time we fill the fuel tank. After approximately a quarter mile or one minute or so driving the car sputters or stalls.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Dec 172014

Town & Country 6-cyl

After filling up the gas tank with gas, I drive away from the gas station and the van stalls. This has happened on a 2 lane divided highway in which I was almost killed! can someone please look into this situation.

- New Canaan, CT, USA

Feb 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

After filling up gas tank and re-starting the engine, the engine either stumbles or stalls 1-5 times beginning within about 60 seconds of starting engine and driving away from gas station. This has been happening repeatedly over the last year and has become more frequent in the past 6 months. At least twice, it has stalled while pulling into an intersection right after fill up. After about 5 minutes, the stumbling/stalling stops and doesn't recur until after the next fill up. It occurs during both low-speed driving (e.g. waiting at a light) and at high-speed driving (e.g. merging onto interstate highway immediately after filling up) online forums indicate this is a common problem with this make vehicle and say the only fix is replacement of the entire gas tank. E.g., en.allexperts.com/Q/Chrysler-repair-807/F/stalling-refueling.htm due to the stalling and stumbling during driving at different speeds, this is a safety issue that is of concern, especially for my wife and others who are not highly confident drivers who would be comfortable handling a stall in traffic.

- Newport News, VA, USA