CarComplaints.com Notes: What the heck happened here? A year after getting our "seal of pretty good" for the 2004, Chrysler turns around and delivers this crapwagon.

This minivan has problems ranging from rack and pinion steering failure to door locks that won't let you out. And trust me, you'll want to get out.

2005 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country:

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jun 042010

Town & Country

In order to continue driving my Chrysler Town and country LX, I will have to pay close to $1000 to have the steering rack replaced. If I do not get this expensive repair, I risk having no power steering while I am driving myself or my family around. This could be very dangerous if I am on the highway and suddenly have to adjust my speed or position when there are other cars traveling at high speeds. I went online to research this problem. What I found is this is a serious problem with the 2005 and 2006 Chrysler Town and country vehicles. There are many other customers who have had to have this part replaced in their vehicles. Therefore, it is a defect with the Chrysler Town and country and not a condition of normal wear and tear. I made a request to Chrysler to help with the repair and my request was denied. Please force Chrysler to own up to and reimburse their customers for this defect. This money is coming from my much needed vacation fund. My husband is deployed and my three children and I were looking for a chance to vacation near family this summer. Instead we will be spending it alone because I have had to put my money into a poorly designed vehicle. Please make them recall this part. Thank you.

- Lawton, OK, USA

May 012010

Town & Country

Power steering whine...turned into needing the rack and pinion system replaced. Now hear that this is a rampant problem. This should be recalled.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Feb 112010

Town & Country

My 2005 Town & Country van began making a humming noise when the steering wheel was moved. I was told that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. This vehicle only has 52,000 miles. I have been told by numerous people that this should not happen in a vehicle with such low mileage.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Nov 052009

Town & Country

Power steering whine developed. Steering never subjected to rough service. Mechanic discovered low fluid and leak in steering rack. Rack had to be replaced at a cost of $820 for parts and labor. Loss of power steering definitely safety hazard. Obviously a design flaw. Steering rack should outlast the vehicle.

- Vernon, VT, USA

Jul 312009

Town & Country

Upon hearing a noise while driving, I checked under the car and noticed a lubrication seal was no longer performing its function. My local mechanic inspected the control arm and related ball joints and informed me the control system was good at this time, but the steering rack was leaking and would require replacement soon. Since I only had about 64,000 miles on my 2005 Town & Country, I was surprised especially since I had not had this type of failure in the 40 plus years of car ownership, exceeding 100,000 miles on each car. Rich in Chrysler customer assistance informed me the Town & Country does not have an historical problem with the power steering rack & pinion; thus a recall to fix the problem is not necessary. All that is required to show the stance Chrysler is taking is false is a simple internet search and a search on the NHTSA website. There are numerous complaints regarding this very serious problem. Chrysler should have recalled all Town & Country's for the problems with the power steering. They should not be waiting for the ¿Toyota rug under the accelerator¿ issues.

- Playa Vista, CA, USA

Sep 032009

Town & Country

Every time van is running low whine emits from under the hood, when turning steering jerks and sound under hood gets much louder. Power steering, rack and pinion need to be replaced.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 052008

Town & Country

Failing steering on 2005 Chrysler Town & Country ltd. New rack and pinion, power steering pump, reservoir all need replacement.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

May 262009

Town & Country

This complaint is in reference to a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country minivan. The approximate mileage is 67,000. Upon noticing what appeared to be a fluid leak on the ground in my driveway, I looked but could not find the source of the fluid. After a scheduled visit to a local Chrysler dealer repair center, I was told that the power steering pump/rack & pinion would need to be replaced at a cost of roughly $1400. This is ridiculous - in all of my years I have never seen a failure of a major steering system in such a short period of time. After researching complaints online I have found that many other owners have experienced similar problems with this same vehicle. What can be done to force a safety recall on this product??

- Fort Hood, TX, USA

Feb 252009

Town & Country

I started hearing a whinning noise coming from the hood of the van a couple of months ago. The noise was worse when the weather was colder and then the engine light came on. Took it in and discovered that the powersteering fluid had leaked out and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The reason the engine light came on wasn't because of the powersteering but because the egr valve needed to be replaced as well as the brakes (front/back) needed replacing. Just had them replaced not that long ago. $2300 later. Drive away, 1 week later engine light comes on again, now I have an engine oil leak and the emissions exhaust system is faulty. I only have 55,000 miles on this vehicle and it is less than 4 years old, I would expect this from an older car. I have a family of 6 to worry about their safety and I am not very confident in this product that Chrysler has produced. It is a shame that they are not willing to step up to the plate and admit their faults. They have lost me as a future customer as well as my family and friends. In today's economy, our hard earned money on a teacher's salary is quickly going down the drain with this vehicle. Are they waiting for a death to actually occur before they start to honor a recall? I wouldn't have known about this forum if it wasn't for consumer reports. How many chrsyler consumers are out there who don't know where to look and find out that they have a faulty vehicle, that they really aren't down on their luck. You can be sure, that every Chrysler owner I come across, I will definitely share this information with.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Mar 022009

Town & Country

1) drove to home from work and backed van into garage 2) half hour later noticed significant leakage trickling from right hand side under the engine. 3) noticed power steering was harder to steer.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 182009

Town & Country

Like thousands of other owners of a 2005 Town and country van, the rack and pinion steering and the power steering failed at 34,000 miles. This cost $1450 to repair. Most fail around 30,000 to 40,000 miles according to what I have read here. The car got so you could hardly steer it. I am sure this has caused many people to wreck, but I was able to get it to a repair shop before I wrecked. This is a scandalous, sometimes fatal defect that has been reported thousands of times, but no recall has been issued. The problem was so prevalent that replacement parts were on back order for months, but rebuilt parts are readily available now since so many thousands have been replaced. As far as I can determine, the newer models also have this defect.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 122009

Town & Country

Purchased a used 2005 T&C van from a local dealership. Took it to the local Chrysler dealer to have oil & lube service. Mentioned that my brakes were a little squeaky, please check them. The vehicle has 41,600 miles and I am the second owner. Was informed by the dealership that my rack and pinion was leaking and causing the noise and needed to be replaced....to the tune of $800 plus tax. I have been researching this since I got home and have seen there are many, many complaints exactly the same. This is so obviously a defect that even a child could see it. Too many vehicles with the same complaint. Chrysler needs to replace these units under warranty.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jan 152009

Town & Country

Rack and pinion causing severe intermittent shudder and loss of power assist when turning at low speeds.

- Madison, AL, USA

Oct 282008

Town & Country

We use our 2005 Chrysler Town & Country for 2.5 years. We purchased the van used with roughly 25000 miles on it in July of 2006. We now have 77000 miles on it and now the front end makes a clanking noise while going over bumps and the is a whining grinding like sound underneath the hood close to the dash. It is worse with cold weather and when the stirring wheel is turned completely in either direction. I did an internet search and found a blog forum at townhall-talk.com. Everyone one on this particular blog had T&C vans and had the same problem I have experienced and dealers have said the rack and pinion needing replacement for roughly$850 plus. I have not had the problem assessed (will be today). Our warranty is expired and now we are having problems. Sounds typical right? if Chrysler T&C vans all seemed to have the same problem with the stirring system. I read about many different dealer saying that they replace many of those racks and the parts are on back order. If the parts are on back order that should be a sign that there is an issue across the board and there should be a recall. In these trying economic times people don't have money to spend on crappy made parts and Chrysler cant afford anymore negative publicity either. Something needs to be done!

- Pace, FL, USA

Jan 242005

Town & Country

Whining noise when driving my 05 Town and country minivan. The problem started a little over a month ago. Took the vehicle in and explained the problem to the dealership service department. The man asked to look under the hood. He told me that it is a common problem for the rack and pinion steering to go out on the Town and country van and that my steering fluid was low so that might be the problem. If the people at the service department are used to this problem, I feel that a recall should be issued. There are numerous message boards of people having the exact same problem as well. The vehicle isn't even 4 years old yet and has 50K miles on it. I feel like a $1000 repair on a known issue is ridiculous when the car is that old.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jan 232009

Town & Country

Have an O5 T&C Chrysler touring - have had to replace the brakes 2X under 30K. Car currently has less than 40K miles and have been told that the rack and pinion needs to be replaced. The car was making a loud whining noise when trying to steer. Was louder when cold. Steering was getting harder to do. Dealer is replacing rack and pinion for approx $900.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Dec 312008

Town & Country

Many repairs have had to be made on our 2005 T & C Chrysler, but today we got the news that our rack and pinion need to be replaced at a cost of over 1,000 dollars. When I inquired if this is a common problem I was told no not really. I turned to the internet only to see multiple owners complaining of this very situation. Rack and pinion should not go at 40,000 miles the vehicles need to be recalled.

- Lincoln Park, NJ, USA

Dec 092008

Town & Country

Noise in front end of 2005 Chrysler T&C. told to replace rack and pinion. 73,000 miles.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Dec 032008

Town & Country

2005 Chrysler Town and country with 45,000.

- Litchfield, MN, USA

Nov 242008

Town & Country

At about 45,000 started noticing a groaning noise from the steering. I've already had some of the front end parts replaced at about 30,000 miles on the 2005 Chrysler minivan that should never have worn out. However, it started making a groaning noise and I noticed that the power steering fluid level was low. Refilled that and it fixed it for about 5000 miles. It's starting it again. I had a 2001 Dodge minivan and it did the same thing at 140,000 miles and required a replacement rack and pinion. I'm hoping at 52,000 miles on this, it doesn't need it now. How discouraging.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA