2006 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country:

2006 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 192014

Town & Country

When attempting to use right turn signal, the left is activated instead. Original equipment. No modifications have been made.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 012008

Town & Country 6-cyl

Over the years we've left the key in the ignition and the battery has gone dead. Chrysler had checked it out several times and found nothing wrong with the ignition switch. We've replaced the battery twice. The first battery leaked and destroyed the harness, which Chrysler paid part of. The second had partial replacement. My opinion is something is wrong. Things are supposed to automatically shut off after 15 minutes, so the battery should not have gone dead. This has happened at least 4 times. We had to charge the battery numerous times. We learned to take the key completely out. We're not sure about anything but we want the problem documented. The problem has never been solved. Since we've been fortunate not to have had an accident, I have no idea if the airbags are functional along with other things. The dates are off, but Chrysler knows when we where there.

- Drummonds, TN, USA

Jan 272014

Town & Country

Aux, dvd and satellite sound stopped working, then the driving sliding door wont open, then the driver side power seats stopped working, then the air bag light goes on and off. The dealer wants 110 dollars just to look at it. Any ideas ?

- Manassas , VA, USA

Mar 012011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Ignition switch shuts off while driving and engine stops running. Possible from bumps in road or bumping key ring with drivers knee. Has happened more than three times.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 052014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated that the map light failed to function and it was found that the sockets had melted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 04/04/14 the consumer stated the dealer advised that there were many others with the same problem. The dealer no longer repaired the map lights. They would only replace the entire assembly. Updated 04/14/2014

- Mason, OH, USA

Dec 172013

Town & Country 6-cyl

When pulling out of a parking lot flames were seen in the side view mirror coming from the driver's side rear tail light. The plastic light encasing was kicked out and snow thrown on the flames. The blinkers, dash board light, and speedometer no longer work.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Sep 242013

Town & Country

The interior lights intermittently go on and off. The headlights fail to turn off even when switch is off, causing a dead battery if not noticed. Headlights suddenly turn off even though switch is on.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jul 182013

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving after dark the headlights turned off with no warning and would not come back on. The only way that we were able to get any headlights was to pull the turn signal lever back and hold it on high beam flash setting for 5 miles to home. This has happened before in the last month but we were able to get the lights to come back on by turning off the switch and turning it back on quickly a few times. That did not work this time and the headlights would not come back on at all for 3 days other than by pulling and holding the signal lever back. I searched the issue on the internet and found an ap article about this issue for my model year vehicle that stated this is a known issue to Chrysler caused by a faulty headlight switch and they would provide a lifetime guarantee on the headlight switch (, and that they would replace them free of charge to owner after they start having this problem. I contacted my local dealer regarding free replacement and they stated my VIN is not in the system for this guaranteed part replacement. I then contacted Chrysler regarding this repair and their response was the same as the local dealer, that there was nothing in their system for my VIN and this repair would not be covered. I am filing this complaint because this is a major safety issue, losing headlights after dark with no notice and I want to make sure that my problem is counted in your database. I am very unhappy with Chrysler's refusal to correct this issue and I will end up having to pay for this safety repair even though it has supposedly been resolved by Chrysler.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Jul 032013

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving during a rain storm I drove through a small puddle and the power steering system went out as well as the electrical system. I was able to pull the car into the closest drive after struggling with the steering. Anytime we hit a puddle or there is heavy rain something goes wrong. Someone is going to get hurt if they are traveling and the steering goes out. I just got back from the store just now and it is raining again, hit a small puddle and now the check engine light is on. This vehicle is not safe to drive in the rain!

- Toledo, OH, USA

Mar 062008

Town & Country 6-cyl

During the past 4 years I have had to replace my turn signal light bulbs coutless times. I just thought that the bulbs burnt out not really questioning the frequency of replacentment. However, after realizing the sockets were being burnt out and replaceing the socket from the remaining ones available and had no more. I deceided to go to the dealership to buy new sockets for the rear lights that controled the turn signals and stop lights. I was told by the don-A-vee chry dealership that the only way to replace was to buy the whole lighting unit. They then informed me that there were numerious conplaints regarding the burning out of light bulbs and the dealership had replaced the units if the van was under warrentiy. I am a single mom and was not that educated on electrical system to think something could be wrong. I was told that the problem went away after installing new back tail lights, I was finally able to afford the two rear units and installed them. I was please to a have all my lights working again. However, to my dismay 2 days after the installation of the units I find that the problem is still there. The vehicle back tail light unit has blown yet another bulb. This is very dangerous as it can cause the safty hazard lights, turn signals and back up lights not to work properly. This in turn can cause a accident and possibly fire in the car electrical system. No where is it possible to just buy the light sockets. I have connacted several dealerships and have looked on line. I have gone to many auto stores to find a replacement light socket but to no avail. I can not afford the replacements of these tail light units over and over again and again. Help....

- Anaheim , CA, USA

Nov 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

We have had problems with our Town & Country since we bought it a few months ago. There is a problem with the electric. All of the gauges, radio, dash lights flash on and off erratically. The worst part is that the car completely shut off one time. It went completely dead! I put it in park and tried to restart it but it did nothing. Some people came over and were offering to push me to a safe spot. I was very grateful because I had my two small children in the car with me. I tried to put the car in neutral but it wouldn't even let me shift gears. I just kept trying and trying and trying to start it. It finally started again and I hurried home. Another scary incident happened just two days ago when we had a lot of slushy rain and snow coming down. The flashing started again and then the windshield wipers stopped working. I could not see anything! luckily I made it to a side street before running into anything or anyone! we have spent about $2K trying to get the problem fixed to no avail. I called and emailed Chrysler but since it was just over the 80K mile warranty, they weren't interested. They said I could buy a new warranty but it wouldn't cover pre-existing conditions. I have read many other online posts about others having this same problem with their Town and country. I hope there is something you can do! thanks for your time!

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 042012

Town & Country

The turn indicator intermittently activates in the wrong direction while attempting to change lanes. Occasionally, the blinker flashes in the opposite direction from where the blinker was moved. After several attempts of moving the turn indicator to the desired direction, the problem resolves. The driver has to pay close attention to where the blinker is flashing despite placing the lever up for a right turn and down for a left, in order to safely change lanes. This has occurred with several different drivers of this vehicle.

- Lehi, UT, USA

Jan 122011

Town & Country

Turn on right blinker and the left one activates. At times the blinkers do work correctly yet it is getting more persistent this issue is occurring. This is a severe safety issue as people cannot tell you are making a turn due to blinker failure.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Oct 082011

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving at night, my headlights went out, very scary and glad I wasn't on a curve or bridge. I played with the switch until the lights came back on. This happened about 3 or more times within 10 minutes, luckily I was close to home. I had the headlights checked out at a garage and they couldn't find anything wrong, since the lights do work at times and you can't predict when the failure will happen. I believe the problem is in the switch. I don't want to waste my money fixing something I believe is a defect that Chrysler should take care of. My garage suggested I check to see if there may be a recall. This has been happening for almost 4 months now so I don't drive the van at night. This is dangerous.

- Bellevue, OH, USA

Mar 012010

Town & Country 6-cyl

When purchased in 2009 the vehicle had a just under 36000 miles on it and needed the electronic lock/unlock mechanism replaced on the passenger rear door. At ~40000 we had to replace the rotors and brake pads. We bought ceramic brakes with life time warranty. Vehicle returned to the service station 4 times in the next 6 months for squealing/grinding brakes. Each time they had to shave the rotors because they were warped. We were told this was a default with T&cs. We again need new rotors. The awful grinding noise when braking is horrific. Late 2010 the air bag light started randomly going off and on when turning the wheel. Though I am registered at I never received recall information but have recently found there was a recall for this exact thing. Now, at just turned 64000 miles we need a new engine because of a rod. Yet again we were told by two different service stations that this was an issue with these vehicles. Frustrating does not even begin to describe what we are going through now. 1 parent out of work for a year and 4 children to support which requires a vehicle to drive to work since the area does not believe in mass public transit outside of riding a minimum of 4 buses to go 20 miles.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 062011

Town & Country 6-cyl

The switch that operates the turn signals, the wiper/washer, and the high/low beams fails as such: When signaling left at times the right indicator comes on, and visa versa. When operating the wiper "on" switch, nothing happens until you signal or use the high/low beam part of the switch. When trying to lower my headlight beams the switch will at times fail to lower them until a separate action happens with the switch. All of these failures are sporadic, and will appear apparently when there is moisture in the air through rain or fog. (when you would not want them to happen at all). These are safety recalls I am asking for because the dealership, even though we have an extended warranty says they cannot do anything unless they see it happen. Most of this happens after hours or when the dealership is not open. I have had the vehicle to the dealership on three separate times. A recall would cause them to be obligated to do the repair. After researching this problem on the web have found many 2006 Town and country minivan owners have experienced the same issue. Please issue a recall on these. I am sure other years are affected because that switch is widely used.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Aug 152011

Town & Country 6-cyl

The passenger side map light not working, so found how to remove cover to replace bulb. Bulb was not blown, but the housing was blackened and melted. Bought a replacement at a dealer and it wouldn't fit! tried in both driver's side and passenger's. parts guy there was surprised that it wouldn't fit, so filed the plastic for me so it would fit. It lit for just a second but wouldn't stay lit. He refunded me. I've been reading where this has happened to others. Is there a recall?

- Searsport, ME, USA

Sep 052007

Town & Country

Vehicle head lights do not turn on; after starting vehicle we switched on the headlights and nothing happened. Sometimes we turned the vehicle off and started it again and they would magically come on. Sometimes we flipped the headlight switch a dozen times and they magically come on. The condition would not happen when we would take it in for service. The high beams would work if we pulled the lever towards the drivers seat. There were many times we would be out after dark, go to leave and have no headlights and the lights would work when we took it in for service. We were finally able to get it in this past summer when the lights were not working; the headlights began shutting off while we were driving the vehicle so were able to get in when the condition existed. The mechanic said the bottom of the fuse box was corroded (a common problem with this model he told us) and a lot of the wires running into the fuse box were corroded and the box needed to be replaced along with some wiring harness. After replacing the fuse box and some of the harness. The headlights still did not work for the mechanic. He then replaced the switch and headlights began working. The headlight problem is a common problem we are told. We have paid almost $800 for this 'fix' that has plagued this vehicle for years and were able to finally diagnose 'after' the warranty has expired, while risking our lives. The frustration of trying to get somewhere with the lights shutting off, while driving; or going somewhere not to have head lights turn on; having to drive with high beams was/is unsafe to our family and other drivers.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Aug 112010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the check engine light would sporadically illuminate. The contact stated that all of the warning lights would do the same and and the gauges wiould fluctuate rigorously. The contact had taken the vehicle to the dealer several times, but was told they could not duplicate the failure. The contact also stated that the passenger side tail light was replaced three times. The failure mileage was 46,674 and the current mileage was 55,683.

- Longwood, FL, USA

May 252011

Town & Country 6-cyl

We own a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. On Wednesday May 25, 2011, my wife was driving the vehicle when it started shuddering and the engine light came on and smoke started coming from under the hood. She immediately pulled over and got out of the vehicle. A passerby told her that he called the fire department. When they showed up they popped the hood and extinguished the fire. We contacted our insurance company to have the vehicle towed to advantage Chrysler, Dodge in mount dora, fl. We had also purchased an extended warranty on the vehicle. We have since been informed that the vehicle is a total loss. I have also filed a complaint with Chrysler concerning the incident.

- Grand Island, FL, USA