2006 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country:

2006 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 152014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. While driving various speeds, the headlamps operated intermittently. In addition, the headlamp switch had to be tampered with several times until the headlamps functioned correctly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the headlamp switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. When the vehicle was off, the instrument panel lights operated independently. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Fort Wright, KY, USA

Oct 022015

Town & Country

Driving down the road and the taillight blew and it burst into flames, pulled into drive was flames were shooting out the taillight is the a recall on the electric system.

- Powell, TN, USA

Mar 122015

Town & Country

My Chrysler Town and country van started having what looked to be battery issues at the beginning of 2015. The engine would turn off and all the dash dials would begin to puslate until I turned it off and restarted it. At first it would do this only when it was raining out, so we changed the battery and it seemed to work. Then one afternoon it just completely shut down as we were driving down the road, sun shining, and completely dry out. We check the battery connections and replaced a few, seemed ok but then it happened again! this time as we were driving down a 70mph highway! thankfully the highway was not busy as the moment and near our exit and were able to safely get to the side and restart the van. We continue to take it in but everyone has told us "no engine light, no engine code, sorry can't help you." We have seen others write about this same problem and are now bringing it to the NHTSA.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jan 122015

Town & Country

This is an ongoing issue with the heater control switch. The temperature knob will not change from cool to warm. After I turn it fast back and forth, sometimes it may trigger the change. This has been happening almost a year. All other controls on the unit work fine. I have talked to many mechanics who have said this is a regular issue and one friend said he had replaced so many of these control units on this vehicle that he cannot even begin to count. The danger is when you cant use the defrost. When this first happened, I was picking up 5 children from grade school. Just driving down the road all a sudden the defrost stopped blowing hot air. I live near Chicago and the temp was below zero. The windshield fogged and iced up and nothing I could do. Luckily I was a block from home and had enough vision by using hand to clean windshield that I made it home. When I let kids out I went to pull car inside garage and couldnt see and hit side of garage and broke side of passenger mirror. This part costs on average of almost 400 dollars and is easy to change. This should not happen on any car under 85,000 miles. This is a seriously dangerous problem when the defrost goes out while driving in sub freezing weather. With this being a issue that so many mechanics have said this is a serious issue in replacing so many of them, there is obviously a serious defect in the controls on the switch. This is a very dangerous safety concern when the defrost temps changes or stops working while driving. This has also happened in summer on a humid day while driving 65mph down the interstate. Thank god I was able to pull off the side before any accident. I believe Chrysler should also reimburse anyone who had to pay for this repair. This is a very expensive repair for a problem and part that takes 60 seconds to repair and replace.

- Elburn, IL, USA

Feb 132015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000(air bags, electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Valley Center , KS, USA

Jul 142015

Town & Country

While driving on the interstate all of the gages in the cluster went to zero (mph, guel, engine temp) and I had no directional signals or emergency flashers....updated 09/28/15

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Jun 162015

Lights flicker, gauges drop to "0" and radio shuts-off

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Apr 302015

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that immediately after refueling, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 8/10/15 the failure was diagnosed as a defective canister in the fuel tank. Updated 08/18/15

- Atlantic City , NJ, USA

Apr 222015

Town & Country

Airbag sensors were corroded and cracked causing the airbag warning on the dashboard to display -- warning driver that the airbags were inoperable and would not provide the enhanced airbag protection as these sensors were designed to do. In other words, the airbag would not deploy if a front end collision occurred.

- Lovell, ME, USA

Jan 232009

Town & Country

Received a safety recall from Chrysler about a safety issue for dashboard light several years back. Made appointment with Chrysler dealer and when I went there, they said they didn't have the part. They sd they would call me back.... never called me back..... several lights still staying after engine is put into gear.... never sure when to check brakes.... ABS system.... even engine check comes on and off occasionally.... was there ever an electrical problem acknowledged by Chrysler Town & Country lg stow and go models"?"

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Dec 152014

Town & Country

I have multiple issues with my 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The first is that it cuts off unexpectedly. This has happened multiple times most luckily while stopped at an intersection or stop light but it has cut off on the interstate recently. It also has a light issue, the lights will cut on and off by themselves, I have woke up during the night to find the headlights shining in the house when they do this there is no way to cut them off, they will eventually cut off by themselves. Another problem I have is the power steering whines when I drive it especially down the highway. I have checked the fluid and it is full.

- Mineral, VA, USA

Dec 092014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The airbag warning light came on when I was rounding a curve, and when I saw a deer ahead of me, I attempted to honk my horn, and it failed to honk.

- Shellsburg, IA, USA

Dec 112013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Description of accident ~ van slid on ice, hitting a mailbox. Both the upper and lower airbags exploded with a pop-like sound, similar to gunfire, emitting terrible smoke and sharp debris, which smelled as though the car caught fire. Noticed several holes punctured as the airbags reached their maximum capacity, showing large burnt-like holes. Both my daughter and I were in the car. She was in passenger's seat, with her backpack in lap, which saved her from injury, thank goodness! unfortunately, my legs were pinned in vehicle, burnt and cut by the airbags & debris. Upon the ambulance's arrival, we noted that my daughter's safety belt needed to be cut, since it would not release for her automatically. She was cleared through the paramedics to head on to school. The paramedics stated that I may have blacked out for a bit, and felt that I most likely had whiplash. Their other concerns were the major pain in my left shoulder, and noted the need for me to be seen by a doctor right away. I was driven to the hospital. To date, deep bruising is still extremely apparent, along with being painful. Major scaring remains on both legs due to being burnt and cut. My shoulder and back of neck continue to throb, along with acknowledgment through my doctor's referral, within chiropractic care. He indicated through an X-ray, that I have nerve damage in the back of my neck, which causes pain and numbness throughout my right arm and hand. The van was declared totaledĚ. please note: Pictures of both damage to my vehicle, along with bodily injuries are available. I would be happy to discuss any further details with you. Thank you so very much for reviewing my information. Should you need any additional information, kindly advise.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Jul 142014

Town & Country

Passenger reading light started to blink and went out. I removed cover and the light socket assembly had melted.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Oct 222014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving vehicle on road, slowing down to turn right into driveway, turned on right turn signal - instead of the right turn signal coming on, the left turn signal came on. I turned it back off and tried once more - again with the same results. I made the right and vehicle immediately stalled. I could not turn my wheel, could not control steering, but luckily it was a driveway with no oncoming traffic. I was able to crank the engine and restart the vehicle and made it further into the driveway before the vehicle stalled again. Again lost steering control. Now vehicle will not start, simply turns over and cranks but no engine starting.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Aug 152013

Town & Country

Issue- driver window stopped working then sometimes it closes very slowly then stops. During the winter I opened the window to get gas and window would not close. Seen same make and model with similar issues. Issue 2- air conditioner front condenser gets damage allot with stuff coming off the road especially on highway. Creates a hole and very expensive repair. 3 times are ready this happened. Issue 3 - rust forming next to tail pipe on passenger side of van. Rust spreading now to under carriage of door. To much damaged has occurred before noticing the rust on the side. Expensive repairs.

- Riverdale, NJ, USA

Jan 132014

Town & Country 6-cyl

First time this happened when I was slowing down to come to a stop. The van shut down. No brakes. No steering. Put vehicle in park and it started right up again. It happened a 3-4 more times after that with similar circumstances. No rhyme or reason to when it would happen. On June 12, it happened again. On June 19, I took it to a mechanic who checked it out and said he hooked it up to different computers and couldn't find anything wrong. He drained the power steering fluid and put in new fluid. Today, on 7/29/2014, I was driving to work and slowed down to make a right hand turn and the van shut down. I had no steering or brakes as I was turning and almost hit a car on the opposite lane of traffic. I was able to pull over, put van in park and start it up again. It scared me so much I was shaking. Something needs to be fixed. It is not normal.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Apr 012007

Town & Country 6-cyl

Issue #1: as I was driving on a rainy day and went through a puddle, I lost steering capability. The wheel just stayed in the same place that I was going in...imagine that happening while trying to turn...accident waiting to happen...I took it back to where I bought the vehicle and was told nothing is wrong with my van. I took it to another dealer and they said I have to go back to the place I bought it to get work done on it....for years I took it in to no avail...then as I made 60K miles I did a tune up on my van and changed the serpentine belt even though it did not need it and you won't believe it...my issue had went away...I didn't know I was supposed to go behind the maker and make sure my vehicle's nuts and bolts are secured on a new vehicle! issue #2: the passenger side air bag has a recall, but local dealer won't fix it, my dealer won't fix it saying I passed my 36K warranty miles what gives? I need it fixed! issue #3: as I was driving 65mph on a hwy, my van shuts off stunded I drift to the shoulder to restart and be on my way this has happened may times if I have anymore that the van key in the starter then it turns my ignition offi need this fixed this is an accident waiting to happen just like Ford and just like the ones Chrysler has just recalled.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 062014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving on road at 50 mph. The engine just just off. Drove off the road into woods luckily no accident. The car then started back up right away. I had to reverse into on coming traffic. I had 3 young kids in car at the time as well. Put me in a scary situation. Had work done on ignition system, tune up, belt changes and a few valve sensors replaced. Had this issue occur before with my wife.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Mar 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Left turn signal turns on when right turn signal is selected and right turn signal turns on when left turn is selected. Occasionally the turn signal will not turn on at all. Also wiper blades will not turn on occasion until another action is selected (such as a turn signal) when they do turn on after another action is taken they turn on at highest speed and will not go to the speed I select until another action is taken(such as turn signal).

- Reynolds, IL, USA