1.7

2006 Chrysler Town & Country fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country:

2006 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 252016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled after refueling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that fuel was not getting to the engine, which caused the engine to stall. The contact was informed that the fuel pump would possibly need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was not available.

- Hebron, KY, USA

May 062016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 5 mph after filling the fuel tank, the vehicle stalled and lurched without warning. The failure subsided after three minutes, but occurred whenever the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was diagnosed that the vapor liquid separator valve failed. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000. Updated 07/13/16

- Six Mile, SC, USA

Sep 012015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. After filling the fuel tank and starting the vehicle, the motor shut off without warning. In order to start the vehicle, the contact had to shift into neutral if the vehicle was still moving or in park if the vehicle was stopped. The failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the liquid/vapor separator valve failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there were no recalls regarding the failure. In order to repair the valve, the entire fuel tank needed to be replaced as well. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000. Updated 04/26/16

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jan 012012

Town & Country

Problem: Stalling and sputtering after refueling engine type: 3.3 liter start of problem noticed: Approximately 2011-2012 service completed: Chrysler/Dodge dealer and third party engine light associated with problem: Egr valve service provided: 2 new egr valves, a evap canister, gas cap, ignition coil and new fuel pump within seconds after fueling my vehicle, the vehicle sputters and sometimes stalls. Initially there was no engine light associated with problem. Vehicle primarily stalls in intersections local streets) due to stalling occurring at start up creating significant safety hazard. After initial stalling (up to 4 times in one incident) and sputtering, vehicle returns to normal operation. Heavy acceleration helps with preventing stalling. The problem has progressed and now the engine light turns on and the vehicle sputters at various time (local streets and highways); even while traveling at highway speeds. I was never informed by "certified mechanics" of the issue or advised on how to fix the problem. I stumbled across information via google search regarding failure of the vapor/liquid separator in the gas tank dating back to at least 2012. I understand NHTSA has completed the investigation. Concerns: 1. Chrysler has failed to notify consumers of a known issue 2. Chrysler/Dodge dealers seem to be unaware of issue 3. unknown if stalling may occur at highway speeds causing loss of control 4. stalling has occurred in intersections 5. it is unclear if there are any deaths or serious bodily injuries associated with this issue because it is unclear if this cause has been investigated in traffic homicides across the United States. Further investigation should be completed. Chrysler/Dodge or any other affected vehicle should have to at a minimum notify consumer of danger involved.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Mar 022016

Town & Country

The van is stalling immediately after refueling. It initially starts, and then when I pull out and stop at the intersection it dies. It is necessary to keep the gas pedal mashed as I am trying to restart it or it just keeps dying as soon as the engine turns over. Once it restarts, I have to keep the gas pedal pushed down while it idles roughly for a minute or so and then it evens out and has no further problems until I refuel again. I have read this is a common problem on 2204-2007 Chrysler vans that requires replacing the whole gas tank to replace the vapor/fluid separator valve causing the problem.

- Hensley, AR, USA

Feb 192016

Town & Country

My 2006 Chrysler Town and country minivan stalls shortly after fueling. It has happened several times when I have pulled out of a gas station and start to accelerate on a main road. One time I pulled out and the van stalled in the middle of a high speed road. A tractor trailer had to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid rear ending me. I had my two children in the van with me. It happens after I refuel the van and start to accelerate. I've found other complaints online about the same issue. They say it is a faulty gas/liquid seperator valve located at the top of the fuel tank. When it goes bad, fuel gets sucked up into the charcoal canister for the emmisions and that is what causes the van to stall. Chrysler is aware of the problem. It is a safety issue when your vehicle stalls out when you are trying to merge into high speed traffic. My understanding is that the entire gas tank needs to be replaced because that liquid/gas seperator valve is part of the gas tank. This should be a safety recall. When I call Chrysler to file a complaint, the guy told me that the 3.4L Chrysler vans were recalled for this exact reason but since I had a 3.8L engine I did not qualify. I don't understand why an engine size would make a difference if the problem is with a faulty valve in the gas tank and the gas tank is the same on both vehicles. Can someone explain this to me please? Chrysler has already set the prcedence on the recall and they need to broaden it to all vehicles with this same gas tank valve issue before someone gets killed.

- Colora, MD, USA

Dec 182015

Town & Country

Truck stalls after refueling without warning ! this is a safety issue occurred in traffic with loss of power brakes and steering with a young driver at the wheel. While exiting a state highway with a near collision from the rear! this should be recalled by Chrysler ! before someone is killed.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Nov 022015

Town & Country

Van stalls when filling the fuel tank. I know other owners with the same problem. Very big hazardous problem!

- Justin, TX, USA

Aug 112015

Town & Country

For over a year my van's engine stalls in the middle of traffic after refueling. Most recently this same event occurred after refueling at a gas station in annapolis. When I turn on to the main road, my engine sputters, lurches and dies in the middle of ongoing traffic. My steering wheel also locks. After 30 seconds or so, I can restart it and my van operates normally. This is a very common pattern and a major safety issue. I had my vehicle checked at a Chrysler dealership after this began happening and they claim that they need to be able to reproduce the issue in the shop and claim they cannot detect an issue. Based on their training, they said my vehicle is fine. No dealership mechanic wants to spend time going to a gas station to refuel the vehicle in order to gain a personal experience of the issue.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Apr 152014

Town & Country

Every time my 2006 Chrysler Town and country is filled with fuel when driving off within minutes the engine dies and start up takes several tries. This is a safety problem pulling out in traffic risking the vehicle becoming disabled and subject to the on coming traffic. When the engine dies power steering also becomes disabled. Lets hope no one fills up near a railroad track. Chrysler is aware of this problem recalling several of their makes for the same problem knowing they have the same gas tank on more than a few of their models.

- Dunkirk, MD, USA

Jan 012015

Town & Country 6-cyl

It has happened numerous times that shortly after filling the gas tank, my van stalls. This has happened several times while in or at an intersection. It never stalls after that, until the next fill up.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Dec 262014

Town & Country

Right after filling up her 2006 Town and country with gas, my daughter and 2 small children pulled out of the gas station into a busy intersection and the van sputtered and stalled out right in a busy intersection. The van did restart and thank god no one was hurt or killed. Then 2 min. Later it stalled again. It started again and was able to get it home. I am her father and have some background in auto mechanics. I did some checking and it seems there is some problems with the charcoal canister on the fuel tanks that are the problem with these vans. Sounds to me like there should be a recall for this problem before someone gets killed. I know if my daughter and granddaughters get hurt or worse, I will sue the pants off Chrysler.

- Virginia, IL, USA

Nov 222014

Town & Country

Surely after filling up, my van will stall out nearly stall out. At times, the oil light will come on. After turning off and restarting the vehicle, the light goes off. It will also lurch forward unexpectedly, sometimes stalling and sometimes not. All of these problems only appear just after filling the tank. This is extremely dangerous if the vehicle stalls unexpectedly while driving down the road.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 062009

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted and resume normal function. The contact mentioned that every time the fuel was replenished, the engine would stall immediately after. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The mechanic was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Freeport, NY, USA

Mar 072014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Oct 222014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving vehicle on road, slowing down to turn right into driveway, turned on right turn signal - instead of the right turn signal coming on, the left turn signal came on. I turned it back off and tried once more - again with the same results. I made the right and vehicle immediately stalled. I could not turn my wheel, could not control steering, but luckily it was a driveway with no oncoming traffic. I was able to crank the engine and restart the vehicle and made it further into the driveway before the vehicle stalled again. Again lost steering control. Now vehicle will not start, simply turns over and cranks but no engine starting.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Jun 152014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I had just filled up the gas tank and was departing a gas station. It was a large parking lot, so I was accelerating to merge onto us-19 in homossassa springs, fl and the engine stalled completely. Luckily, we had not exited the gas station parking lot and I was able to steer out of traffic and come to a complete stop. This has happened multiple times since the first occurrence, without injury, or accident. Ever since the third occurrence and a review of online literature, we never completely fill up the gas tank anymore.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Apr 072014

Town & Country 6-cyl

After a fill up and driving a short distance, the engine sputtered and stalled while sitting at a stop light. This happened 2 or 3 other times right after filling the tank completely full and then driving the vehicle a short distance to the first intersection. What I discovered is that I can no longer fill the tank until the gas pump automatically shuts off. This is a hazard and potentially life threatening defect. From what I can gather, the problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of the fuel tank.

- Maryville, TN, USA

May 012012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. While traveling approximately 35 mph and immediately after refueling, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Allison Park, PA, USA

Feb 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

For 3 months now, everytime the vehicle is fueled, the engine begins to stall and sputter. This happened on 2/20/2014 at 5pm after leaving the fueling station and the car stalled in the middle of a turn through a heavy traffic intersection, I lost power steering at a critical point in the turn and crossed one lane and almost into a concrete wall before muscling the steering wheel into a safe spot to try to restart the vehicle. I have been seeing a lot of reports about a failure with the vapor liquid separator valve on the gas tank that allow liquid to fill the charcoal canister which inturn sends raw liquid fuel rather than vapor into the engine intake causing an extremely rich mixture causing the stalling and sputtering. This is happening after every refuel and I am seeing hundreds of Chrysler owners complaining of the same problem. Chrysler denied ever hearing about this problem when I called their customer service number to inquire. Apparently the fix is to replace the fuel tank. Sounds like a very unsafe design flaw to me.

- Dumfries, VA, USA