2006 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country:

2006 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jan 052010

Town & Country

Power steering pump problems. Steering rack failure.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 212010

Town & Country

Grinding humming noise with power steering. Chrysler mechanic told me that Chrysler did not make the hose long enough so it gets clogged and causes problems. Told me also that rack needs to be replaced because it is leaking. This should be a recall. I paid for the new hose so far but don't want to pay $1000 for a new rack when it is their fault.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 272009

Town & Country

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country with 42,000 miles. After the last oil change I noticed a loud whining noise after starting it & continued to sound like a jet taking off until it warmed up. My husband had a friend look at it & noticed there was very little power steering fluid, so he filled it up & the sound disappeared. Today I took it to the Chrysler dealer again for another oil change & they said they noticed a leak coming from the rack & it needed to be replaced for $800+! how can this be since it only has 42,000 miles??!! unfortunately the warranty expired at 36,000. They said I had to replace it or the power steering could go out at any time. Luckily nothing horrible happened while driving on the highway recently with my daughter!! there should definitely be a recall on this!! I have been hearing from others & reading tons of posts online about this very problem with newer T & C. please look into this major problem!!!!

- Streator, IL, USA

Dec 012009

Town & Country

Kept smelling a burning rubber smell, took car in for several things because of the extended warranty we have (we bought it when we bought our car new - always get an extended warranty with Chrysler products!!) they are now fixing the steering rack & pinion - and the electronic driver-side passenger door, the gps/radio system, the throttle which they claim is a maintenance issue (but there are bulletins out about that too) and our auto locks and airbag warning signal (which wa replaced before).

- Akron, OH, USA

Dec 202007

Town & Country

My 2006 Town and country had to have power steering worked on in the first year of owning it, but was covered under warranty...just soo everyone's aware if the dealers mechanics see a problem under the hood, but you don't complain about it they aren't allowed to mention it. So that means if you had your car into dealer and they saw there was something wrong with your powersteering, but you don't complain they will not go out of their way to tell you about the problem.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Jan 012007

Town & Country

When I drive my 2006 Chrysler Town and country through a puddle or in a heavy downpour, my power steering goes out. The belt slips and squeals for quite a while before the power steering starts working again. I haven't been able to find a dealer or mechanic that knows how to fix the problem. My wife and I have both driven off the road due to this issue.

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Nov 162009

Town & Country

I have a 2006 Town and country 35,635 miles - bought it new but the warranty ran out in April. I have had a terrible whining problem that was just diagnosed as my rack and pinion was leaking. $375 for the part, $357 for labor, $16 fluid and $59.95 for the alignment after. I asked the dealer about complaining to Chrysler and she said to try it. Well Chrysler is going to pay the part and warranty it for 1 year or 12,000 miles. So I"M still not happy about the $432.95 left for me, which I think Chrysler should pay also because of the numerous reports. I think there should have been a recall and the whole shot paid for.

- Adams Center, NY, USA

Dec 072008

Town & Country

2006 Town & Country minivan makes a loud whining sound when cold outside and the steering fluid needs to be filled abnormally often. This happened daily until I checked a car repair website and they told me to check the fluids and when we did we saw that the steering fluid was very low. Since then my husband checks it weekly and fills it when needed. I haven't taken it in (because we can't afford a large repair bill) the research I have done on-line shows that this is an ongoing problem with this make and model... why hasn't there been a recall yet"?" help, this vehicle is our family car and we carry our children in it.. we are still paying off this car... one more year.... please help us and make them finally issue a recall...... don't let the big car makers get away with treating us like this....

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Sep 052008

Town & Country

Parked car at foodlion car engine catch on fire local fire department came out to put out the fire. Fire department stated it was the power steering line or transmission line that caught on fire which in turn caught the back of the motor on fire.

- Mount Holly , NC, USA

Aug 072009

Town & Country

I bought a 2006 Town and country LX in May 17, 2006. Shortly after a year I had to replace my brakes, not only my pads were gone but the rotor was damaged and I never even got a warning, than April 2008 I had to replace my power steering bracket. In May 2009 again my brakes and rotors were gone. June 1st 2009 my van died. I had to buy a new battery. July 29 my driver side mirror fell down. And now August 7 my front A/C wont work but the back does.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 142009

Town & Country

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country mini-van that has approx. 45000 miles on it. It started whining when the engine started. Then I noticed that the power-steering fluid was low and their was a small puddle on the driveway. I took it to the dealership to have it diagnosed. They said the rack & pinion steering failed on the vehicle and it needed a new steering rack. Chrysler acknowledged that there was a problem with this part but they would not do anything to fix it. I had to pay $750 to get it fixed. I have read online many instances of this failing and yet Chrysler still will not issue a recall on this. It is dangerous to have all of these vehicles on the road with potential steering problems.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 162009

Town & Country

Power steering rack leaking had to have it replaced today at about 51K miles. Had noticed some whining noises back in the mid 40K range thought it was do to the cold weather. I know there have been alot of complaints about this issue. Now with Chrysler in bankruptcy doubt anything will come of it as far as a recall goes. But its obvious that its a faulty part. Guess next time I by a car its going to be a Toyota or Honda, im all for american made products but not when they are this unreliable.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Mar 262009

Town & Country

Squealing power steering during winter months when van was inspected I was told I needed rack and pinion replaced leaking power steering fluid.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Nov 162007

Town & Country

The steering rack and pinion has started to leak and make noise at 45000 miles. The Chrysler dealership in town said that there is no warrant on this, as I would have to pay for it at $850. In reading the chat lines it appears to be happening to a lot of folks.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Jan 012009

Town & Country

My 2006 Town and country power steering rack is leaking. I had my oil changes on a regular basis no one ever said anything about leak until it was no longer under warranty. And I read several letters stating the Chrysler knows about it! wow what a rip off and they should handle this with a recall and fix it. Over $1,500 to fix! I don't have that kind of money in today's world.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Dec 122007

Town & Country

1. I did nothing unusual or potentially destructive. 2. the right front ball joint has worn "loose"-will not satisfy me inspection in the vehicle's third year. If it lets go, it could cause an accident, which on the road or turnpike could cause injury and/or death to one or more vehicle occupants. 3. I am going to take vehicle back to dealer for replacement--it is only 27 months old and still under warranty.

- Lovell, ME, USA

Dec 282008

Town & Country

Our van started leaking several months ago and then recently it started making a whirring sound that increased with the engine RPM and when the wheels were turned. It also had a smell of something burning. I took the van to the Chrysler dealer we bought it from. They called to tell me that there were two separate leaks, the water pump and the power steering rack and both would need replacement. They also found the stabilizer links and bushings were worn out. Chrysler agreed to pay for parts but not labor. The van has 37K miles and the warranty had run out over the summer.

- Andersonville, TN, USA

Nov 212008

Town & Country

Failed power steering rack at 45K miles. Whining noise worse at start up and cold temperatures. Upon researching the internet, I found one website discussion board ( where there are over 21 separate instances of the same problem. Many of these occurring below 50K miles. I purchased the car used in July of 07. It always had a slight whine but has gotten progressively worse over time. It is my understanding Chrysler is aware of the problem but chooses not to do anything to resolve it.

- Westerly, RI, USA

Sep 272008

Town & Country

My 2006 Chrysler Town and country has a whine in the steering. After researching on-line and talking to local mechanics this is a very common and costly issue. The minimum cost I have found is around $800. Chrysler to my knowledge has not stepped up and addressed this. A 2 yr. Old vehicle should not have this problem.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Aug 302008

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that his 30 pound infant pulled on the automatic transmission lever while no key was in the ignition. The vehicle began moving and crashed into a stop sign. The dealer stated that a pin in the steering column failed and needed to be replaced at the cost of over $1,595. The technician further stated that it normally takes excessive force to break that pin, which is impossible for a 30 pound infant. The steering column did not lock properly to prevent the gears from shifting. The vehicle has not been repaired. He is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 46,000.

- Liberty, MO, USA