2007 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chrysler Town & Country:

2007 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 102016

Town & Country

Overhead dome map light stopped working smelled like burning it was safety issue because when I popped of the clear plastic cover I don't know why the van hadn't caught on fire yet. Half the base of the bulb was black, the plastic part of the socket was scorched, warped, melted and smelled burn and damaged console sockets. Clearly this was defective parts that should be the reason Chrysler changed the design and part but never notify consumers and issue recall. This is series safety issue fire and electrical damaged may cause serious injuries. I was told that dealer is not responsible and not interested helping and I need to pay $400 to change entire socket for two small light bulbs. When I call Chrysler corporate again I was told they can not help because I have old vehicle. This is clearly defective design and part unfortunately Chrysler would not take ownership and accountability to notify and repair this issue. Please see attached picture when I went to dealer for replacement bulbs for about $6 each I was told I need to replace entire console because they no longer have this defective bulbs when I popped of the clear plastic cover I wondered why the van hadn't caught on fire yet. Half the base of the bulb was black, the plastic part of the socket was scorched and warped damages console sockets

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Sep 252016

Town & Country

Power window motor and regulator failure. The power window on the drivers door will not lift the window back up. I was told the motor and the regulator need to be replaced and that this is a common problem for these minivans.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Sep 092016

Town & Country

The 2007 Town and country I helped my disabled sister buy has defective door and rear lift gate issues.we were parked and shopping and I was a passenger in her car when her home health aide hit the button to open the rear hatch for me to something out of the back. The hatch lifted then let go and slammed shut shaking the entire vehicle before I could leave the vehicle. I barely got out of the way that same day when it did again. Come to find out it had happened before and my other sister was injured when the door hit her head. The same day her aide opened the left side door for me and as I extended my leg out the door it suddenly slammed shut, thankfully I was able to move fast enough to move my leg back into the vehicle before it closed. The driver side rear door does not work at all and has a chronic leak and mold in the tracks. This van is extremely unsafe!!!! I afraid my sister who does not move fast will be injured. Please help.

- Ridgefield, WA, USA

Jun 232016

Town & Country

Map light flickered and intermittently went out. I attempted to replace the bulb but the original bulb contacts and socket had burned and melted. I see this as a fire hazard.

- New Glarus, WI, USA

May 162015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start sporadically. The vehicle was able to be started after several attempts. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 76,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jul 012015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system) however, the parts to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Aug 062014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated the vehicle stalled while driving. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Davie , FL, USA

May 092015

Town & Country

While driving on expressway at 70 mph, I pulled to the left to avoid a vehicle entering my lane and the car simple stall. No warning, all electrical system warning lights came on and after stopping in the center median, I attempted to restart the vehicle with no results. After having vehicle towed to the nearest facility, I was told that the fuel pump died and had a short. After replacing the fuel pump, the car would run for 9 minutes and would shut down. The mechanic informed me that one of the electrical control modules was faulty causing the alternator to over charge and shut off. I have had issues since we purchased this vehicle in 2007 with the gauges shutting down and the car shutting down. I have asked the dealer on several occasions about this problem and their response has always been that it doesn't happen when they have the vehicle. Now I find out that the Chrysler dealer stated to the pepboys mechanic that this is a common problem with the Town and country.

- Collinsville, OK, USA

Mar 292014

Town & Country

Fill-up gas after 1.5hours of highway travel. Off from the gas station joining a busy street at ~10mph, van stalled. I had wife, my son and two friends - it was a nerve wracking incident. The car behind us had to swerve to next lane to avoid rear-ending us. Stalling continue to happen everytime I fill-up. Thus I would volunteer my vehicle if further testing is needed to investigate the root cause of the issue.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Nov 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Someone is going to get seriously injured if Chrysler does not address the fueling problem in its vehicles. After fueling, my van will either begin sputtering and then stall or stall without warning. I recently fueled at a gas station on an exit off of interstate 70. Upon entering the highway from the on ramp, my van stalled. Fortunately, the tractor trailer approaching me in my lane was able to swerve into the adjacent lane and avoid hitting me. I took my vehicle to the Chrysler dealership service department where I have the vehicle serviced and told them about the problem. They said they are "hearing about this issue more and more" and simply advised me to "not fill up the van with gas all the way". they also mentioned that Chrysler 300 models have the same issue. What is being done about this problem?

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Nov 122014

Town & Country

The headlights randomly go out while the switch is in the on position. They may work fine for 10 minutes or an hour, then go dark. If I wiggle the headlight switch I can sometimes get them to come back on briefly, but it is truly hit and miss if they will stay on or not. There does not appear to be any particular 'sweet spot' on the switch and it does not appear to be affected by smooth or bumpy roads. It is quite scary and dangerous especially on the dark mountain roads I have to drive.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Sep 162014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The horn started activating on its own, lasting 2-3 minutes at a time while driving. This has persisted since that date. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who informed me that the issue (after diagnostics) was the airbag in the steering wheel is slowly expanding causing the contacts on the horn to activate. They also indicated that the airbag could have deployed without notice. This could have resulted in an accident which it did not in this case as I took it quickly to the a dealer, where it sits today. The dealer assistant service manager also indicated they have heard of this issue I have happening on the rare occasion. This not from normal wear and tear and I feel it should be researched before someone is injured or killed should the airbag deploy. I also think Chrysler should be required to provided repairs to these vehicles, I have sent a request to Chrysler as well. Thank you for your time in this matter.

- Youngsville, NC, USA

Jun 012010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Pretty much ever since I've had the car, I will occasionally be driving and bump the key with my knee, turning the van off altogether. The power steering stops working with the engine off, so I have to try to turn on my hazard lights and carefully navigate to the side of the road to put the van in "park" again so that I can restart it (I can't restart it while I'm still moving). I am very, very careful to try to never even touch the key with my knee so that this doesn't happen, but it still does occasionally.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Mar 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the map lights positioned over the front driver and passenger's side dash did not operate. While removing the bulbs, the contact discovered that the plastic socket assembly that housed the light bulb had burned and melted. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer but not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 7/14/14

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jun 292012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Front courtesy lights have melted in their sockets and tail light is showing signs of starting to do the same. Turn signals have gone crazy: Sometimes they work as they should, other times they don't work at all, at times you have to use the lever over and over again to get them to engage. The worse part is that at times if you choose the right, the left comes on. We feel both of these issues could potentially be very serious safety issues. They both seem to be electrical issues the lights could present a fire hazard and the turn signals could be the cause of an accident.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Mar 202012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While moving in reverse around three to five miles per hour, the four-way emergency flashers activated and the passenger power sliding door opened approximately one to three inches. After coming to a stop and while shifting to drive the power sliding door completed the opening cycle. The passenger power sliding door was then unresponsive and had to be manually closed. One day prior to the incident the passenger power sliding door began showing symptoms of electrical problems. When opening, the door would stop just a few inches from the latch. When closing, the door would stop just a few inches from the latch.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jul 012011

Town & Country 6-cyl

The passenger side sliding door will not open from the inside. The electric door release won't work and now the manual door release won't work. People are trapped inside. Only way out, is to open it from the outside to release the people inside.

- Fort Plain, NY, USA

Sep 272010

Town & Country

The vehicle stalls intermittently at any speed in drive or reverse. This issue has happened at least one time per week for several months.

- Freeland, MD, USA

Nov 192011

Town & Country 6-cyl

After fill in gas in gas station, drove about 3/4 miles, trying to make a right turn at an intersection, suddenly the car lost power. Engine stopped, no power steering, no brake. Finally the car stopped at the opposite side of the street. After several minutes, turn the engine back on, then everything back to normal.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Oct 162011

Town & Country 6-cyl

During a low-speed local trip (less than 2 miles, 45 mph max) acrid smoke starts coming out front A/C vents. Stop, turn off ignition. After merely describing the problem to an experienced mechanic, he says he knows what the cause is and proves it by removing the glove compartment to reveal a fried wire and nearby heat-damaged parts. He adds that many Chrysler-built (also GM-built) vehicles had caught fire because of this very reason. The A/C blower motor had started drawing too much electrical current (reason unknown*) which caused its wire to get hot enough to burn its own insulation plus melt nearby plastic parts. The wire is, obviously, undersized for a nominal overload. ( blower was still blowing as it always had, and had never blown its fuse.) as an electronics technician with 39 years' experience in engineering, I find the use of wiring too small in gage to safely handle the full load rating of its branch circuit (as determined, in this case, by the blower fuse amperage) to be appalling. The national electrical code protects us in our homes from such dangerous electrical design, why isn't there a code to protect us in our highway vehicles as well" what other undersized wires in my car are waiting to set it on fire? what such wiring in other makes and/or models" youtube provides graphic evidence of what can happen when a car burns, even when no crash has occurred.

- Leonard, TX, USA