2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Jul 262010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Brake pads and rotors need to be replaced every 8K to 14K miles, recall J29 radiator capand K04 discharge hose - parts ordered July 26,2010. Vehicle brought in for service again on Sept 27 2010 dealership "ordered the parts again because they never replaced them. Brought the vehicle to another dealership on Nov 18 2010 and these recalled were corrected along with K14 for power door possibly causing a fire.

- Oak Ridge, NJ, USA

Sep 072010

Town & Country

I am the owner of a 2008 Chrysler town and country touring edition minivan, I have been complaining about my brakes and the grinding noises and unusual stopping patterns I have been experiencing since purchasing the vehicle. Recently a Chrysler warranty extension was issued to cover replacement of front rotors and pads. My vehicles front rotors and pads were changed and a $50 deductible was paid for this service. One month later my vehicle experienced heavy vibrations in the steering wheel and a grinding effect on the break pedal. Upon returning to the dealer they replaced the front rotors and pads due to warping. I am concerned that this problem will resurface a month later. Is this vehicle safe with the current breaking design and components. My questions are, why is it warping and wearing out so quickly and are there any other reports of faulty break design causing injury or accidents? I truly feel my family is life is at risk in this vehicle.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 032010

Town & Country

Purchased 2008 Chrysler town and country in August 2008. Had to replace front brakes at 13,000miles and resurface the rotors. At 24,000 miles took car in for brakes again due to squeaking and shimmying to be told nothing was wrong with them. Problem has persisted. Took the van in again at 25K and was just told that the front rotors and brakes need to be replaced. Those are covered by an extended warranty I paid extra for at the purchase. Dealer told me problem is still there and now the back breaks need to be completely replaced including the rotors. At 25K miles I do not think this should be a problem. I take care of my car and get all of its maintenance done on time. I see that several T&C owners are complaining about the brake issues with these vans and that Chrysler has done some form of recall on other vehicles but not the T&C.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 192010

Town & Country

I did not drive my 2008 Town & Country van for 2 months as a result of my foot surgery, 2/17/10 to 4/19/10. On the morning of 4/19/10, as I attempted to move my vehicle out of my garage, the vehicle would not move. I further depressed the gas pedal and the vehicle appeared to "break free" and move. It seemed as if the wheels were frozen. As I drove to work, I noticed that when I applied the brakes, the braking was uneven and the brakes were "chattering." The van also took longer to stop. When I got to work, I called my local Chrysler dealer and advised them of the problem. They told me that it would not be covered under warranty. The van has 22,500 miles on it. I then took the van to a local repair shop. They showed me that the freezing of my wheels that morning was actually the rear pads rusting to the rotors. I saw the mark on the rotors where they had rusted. It then made the rear rotors uneven causing the chatter. They then showed me that the front pads were very low. They suggested that the rear rotors and pads be changed along with the front pads. The entire job came to $650. To me this is unsafe and no fair. I believe this should not happen to a car with less than 23,000 miles on it. It was obvious to me that this problem had to be corrected immediately. I was not going to pay the dealership to do it because I feared that they would replace the brakes with the same make that had failed.

- Pittstown, NJ, USA

Mar 052010

Town & Country

While driving at 65 mph, the drivers side rear brake calipers locked on, and made a loud noise. I exited the freeway, stopped the car and noticed the rear wheel was very hot and had a strong burning smell. The fenton, mi Chrysler dealer immediately and accurately guessed that my car was a 2008 Town & Country minivan, and he even knew it affected the drivers side rear wheel. He had seen this many times with early 2008 T& C's. why has Chrysler not yet issued a recall? this is a severe safety issue. The dealer fixed the problem at no charge, since, at 31,000 miles, my car is still under warranty. However, my concern is for other drivers of this vehicle. I believe there should be an investigation to determine if a recall would be appropriate.

- Novi, MI, USA

Mar 012010

Town & Country

My 2008 Chrysler Town and country needs new front brake pads and routers at 20K and Chrysler will not pay for any of the repairs and told me to expect to replace these every 12K-20K in the future.

- Ambler, PA, USA

Jan 012010

Town & Country

Brake replacement on my 2008 Chrysler Town and country.first incident bought used in 2009 with 18,000 miles and front brakes were replaced upon purchase. In Jan 2010 agrinding noise was coming from left rear brakes. Took into dealer for insp.and was told I needed new brakes and rotors at 26,000K. Refused service because of the $400 charge spoke to service man.and he said they have done at least 40 to 50 brake jobs on the same vehicle in the last 6 months. They admitted problem but no fix or recall in site. Looked on numerous forums and haves seen thousand of the same complaints. Chrysler needs to recall these vehicles, because no noe should be replacing brakes on a 40,000 vehicle every 10 to 15,000 miles.

- Carleton, MI, USA

Jan 042010

Town & Country

I wish to file a complaint about the 2008 Chrysler Town and country vans. These vans were produced with sub standard brake pads and rotors that wear out very prematurely and risk causing serious injury. Most people do not expect their vehicles brake pads and rotors to wear out at 18,000 miles and as such could ignore important signs that a problem is ahead. At some point a brake failure is going to occur and someone will get injured or killed due to loss of brakes. This is an issue that Chrysler needs to issue a recall on immediately. There are literally thousands of blogs on the internet of people that have had to change their brake pads and rotors at very low miles on brand new vans. Thank you! gregg henricks

- Huntertown, IN, USA

Dec 152009

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town and country brakes were replaced at 20,000 miles and factory warranty was for 10,000 miles. I had to replace both break pads and rotors on a new vehicle.

- Archbold, OH, USA

Dec 122009

Town & Country

Leased 2008 Chrysler Town & Country in March 2008. At 12,000 miles we experienced loss of braking, screeching, grinding and had dealer inspect brakes - was told pads were completely worn to metal and had to have brake pads replaced and rotors machined. At 21000 loss of braking again, grinding, pulling and dealer reports that rotors are below machine tolerance, pads are worn to metal and rotors have to be replaced. Dealer reports this is "normal" for this van. Clearly the brake materials/system are inadequate for this van and present a significant safety issue - as no driver has an expectation of brake wear and failure at 12,000 mile intervals.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 202009

Town & Country

My 2008 Chrysler Town and country's brakes have failed at 16,000 miles. Fortunately, there wasn't an accident, but this is a serious safety concern. Ewald (milwaukee) my dealer has to completely replace my front and rear brakes. From my internet research, there seems to be thousands of people with the same problem. I have contacted Chrysler.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Oct 012009

Town & Country

We have had to replace the brakes and rotors 3 times in our 2008 Chrysler Town and country van. The first at about 15,000 miles at a cost of $400, the second at a cost of $300 at 24,000, and now at 34500 miles another set of brakes. The brakes are defective and need to be recalled and replacement vehicles given. Dealership admits problem, but no recourse against Chrysler.

- Delbarton, WV, USA