2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 10 of 13)

Jan 142010

Town & Country

Needed brake replacement on a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country after only 14K miles - was told by the dealer this seems to be happening on all T&C between 15-18K miles, which seems like a recall is needed if that is the case.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Jan 112010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler town&country, own car for 13 months; 16,500 miles, front brake pads gone. Dealership states that brakes covered only for 12 months; 12,000 miles. Dealership states that this is not the first of these vehicles to report the same issue. May be related to tsb 05-006-08.

- Abington, MA, USA

Jan 012010

Town & Country

Our 2008 Chrysler Town & Country minivan needed all new brakes and rotors and has been driven under a year and half (with normal wear and tear - not excessive). Evidently this is a known issue as I've found in talking with another T&C owner that bought the same minivan at about the same time we did (fall 2009). He bought the extended warranty for $2000 and was alerted to this defect by the dealer (tsb because of his extended warranty) and the repair was made for free and now he knows to check the brakes every 12-20 thousand miles. Unfortunately without purchasing the $2000 extended warranty other consumers will not be aware of the short lived brakes and rotors and may not bother going into the dealer to get their brakes replaced every 20,000 miles (who would think that you would need to replace your brakes and rotors this frequently!). from the research I've done thus far, I should expect to continue to have this problem for the lifetime of the vehicle with no recourse other than to sell the vehicle to another unsuspecting consumer or to continue to pay >$500/ 1-2 years to replace the brakes in this vehicle. I would greatly appreciate a recall on this known defect or at the very least a notification to T&C owners to this issue for their own personal safety (and that of their family and everyone else out on the road). Generally I've only replaced my brakes after 50K miles on other vehicles and never would have suspected there was an issue with so few miles on the car. Please notify other consumers of this product before this results in serious injury (I'm sure there has already been huge monetary losses from the consumers of this vehicle).

- Defiance, MO, USA

Jan 042010

Town & Country

Chrysler Town & Country needing new brake pads and rotors after on 20,000 miles.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 032010

Town & Country

Unusually fast wear of front brake pads and rotors on 2008 Chrysler Town and country. Needed new pads and rotors at 15490 miles and had to put on heavy duty ceramic pads mechanic has never seen pads and rotors wear so fast in thirty years.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 232009

Town & Country

Rear brake failure at low miles, excessive wearing, noise, etc.

- Pine Island, NY, USA

Dec 292009

Town & Country

Premature brake wear/failure on 2008 Chrysler Town and country.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Dec 262009

Town & Country

My 2008 T&C was purchased in may of '08 and has 14K miles on it. With no prior warning, the brakes were metal on metal when we come upon traffic at 70 mph. We were able to avoid a collision (thankfully) using the lower transmission gears. Now, the dealership has informed me that it is my responsibility because the warranty is only for 1 year/12K miles, even though it was their oversight for not informing me that the pads were low at my 12K service. Now, I need new pads and the rotors re-surfaced. I find it amazing that a vehicle that costs over $45K has such poor quality materials that could endanger lives. How is this possible.

- Westchester, CA, USA

Dec 252009

Town & Country

My 2008 Town and country had to replace brake pads and rotors due to heavy noise and wear out at 12,750 miles. My mechanic suggested the caliper is defective and it causes the problem. But the dealer won't agree. So they replaced just the pads and rotor. Now at 28,000 miles, that is another 15000 miles, the same problem arises. The rotors and pads are fully gone and it has a huge noise when braking with no brake in effect.

- Airmont, NY, USA

Dec 232009

Town & Country

I lease a 2008 Chrysler Town and country minivan. We have complained about brake noises since taking possession of the vehicle. Now, at 18,000miles, I am told that the brake pads and rotors need to be replaced. I was also told by Chrysler that this is a common problem with this model. Chrysler refuses to do anything about this other than give me a 20% discount on the repair.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Dec 222009

Town & Country

Chrysler Town & Country minivan - year = 2008, brakes and rotors do not hold up, need replacing after only 15,000 miles, many consumers having same issue.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 012009

Town & Country

My 2008 Chrysler Town and country started making front brake noise at 25,000 miles. When removing the front wheels for tire rotation, noticed the pads were worn down and the rotors had a deep ridge on the outside.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 262009

Town & Country

I had my Town and country for just over 20,000 miles and I need to replace the rear brakes pads on my vacation. Lucky I am a mechanic and could do it myself. I called the dealer down in Florida and asked if there was any problems with that model they said no. I asked for price on pads and if they had them. I called the parts store and they had the front but not he backs that would be a day. The dealer told me 4 to 5 days for the back and fronts. I asked the price and they where less then 1/2 the price. I ordered and did the brake job. I had to call a dealer to find out how to compress the calibers they did not know. I remember that Volkswagen had calibers like this and is turned in. I did the brakes and needed to do them 3 months later and rotors this time. I feel there is a factory problem here.

- Milton, VT, USA

Nov 232008

Town & Country

After 13K miles had to have the front brakes and rotors replaced. Then at about 21K the rear brakes replaced. This is unacceptable and expensive.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Dec 112009

Town & Country 6-cyl

2008 towncountry touring van 3.8 V6, excessive brake wear and wheel pad dust.my wife has driven the same rout to work for past 22 years 90%of miles put on highway miles,70miles daily round trip three stop lights,6 stop signs one way. On all previous vehicles 2 Isuzu rodeos and last one was Ford Taurus all 3 had 200.000+ miles when sold. All of them required only 2 sets of brake pads on front wheels, one set on rear, and did not have to resurface any rotors on any of my vehicles I do most of servicework after warranty ex as well as 2 trucks 1 1992 chv 4X4 ex cab 227,000 is on its third set from factory, 1 04 Ford crew cab 55,000 and brakes are half worn.(( now our problem chy van 22,000 mile brake dust that was a thick film, like the color of the used oil, the dust was thick after the first 5-600 miles I called the service dep and was told that is a problem with most 08 Dodge, chy veh and they have not come out with any new brake pads or rotors to remedy this, but said they have made a spray that you spray on rims so dust will not accumulate as much buildup on wheels. I told the service manager that we did not spend 36,000 on a vehicle to wipe wheels off every 3-400 miles or buy a can of their spray for I think it was around 16-18 dollars. The service manager said there was nothing he could do about it.and I said yes you can I will have my wife come by here every fri after noon so he could wipe the brake dust off !! he didn't think that was to funny, so each time I had the 3 oil changes done I had them wipe off wheels on there time. So here we are today 12-14 2009 22,000 miles on van with ex brake pad, rotor wear and uneven pad wear front L outside face fine, with about 3/16 pad rem, inside front pad metal to metal on lower half of rotor, upper half has 1/8 left on pad.passfront pads have 3/16 left with both front rotors having a good 3/16 wear grove indent lip at top of rotor. Leaving not enough face to resurface. Parts only 400 no labor, no one helps!!

- Four Oaks , NC, USA

Dec 092009

Town & Country

I have owned a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country minivan since new and it currently has 27,200 miles on it. Almost all (approx. 20000) are highway / coast to coast miles. The front brakes and rotors are bad and need replacing. I have two other vehicles with over 60,000 miles on them and the brakes are still okay. 2008 Chrysler Town & Country factory brakes are defective in my opinion and many believe are too small for the vehicle. This should be investigated.

- Windcrest, TX, USA

Sep 272009

Town & Country

Purchased a 2008 Chrysler Town and country touring brand new in May 2008. Within the first 12,000 miles we've had multiple problems with this van. As far as the safety problems specifically, the brake system has been a nightmare. The parking brake cable snapped in two and became dangerous when I couldn't park on a hill without it. This was fixed under warranty through the dealership. The next safety related issue was that the brakes on the van started to squeal and were quickly metal on metal. I brought the van into our local tire place to have a regular brake job done and was told that the rotors and pads were completely shot and cost over $300 to have replaced. The manager said I was one of 12 other customers in the last few months with 2008 Dodge/Chrysler minivans having this problem. He said that he spoke with someone from Chrysler to see about having this repair covered under warranty and said that the person at Chrysler that he spoke with casually mentioned that "of course this happened, they used cheap parts" on these vans. I still have the original rotors and pads if anyone needs them for investigation. An entire chunk of metal had chipped off of one rotor!! the tech. At the repair shop said they were the cheapest made things they've seen on a new vehicle. No vehicle driven under normal, carpooling circumstances should ever have rotors and pads wear out at 12,000 miles. I would like to see this looked into as to why this is happening with this year van through this make. Thanks.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 302009

Town & Country

July 2009 I took the car in for an oil change and check up before leaving town for vacation. Brakes were squeaking so I asked to have those checked as well. I didn't expect anything much to come of the brakes since the car only had about 12,000 miles on it at the time. They said I had to have the brakes done which I did. Brakes started squeaking the next day while on the trip and the car would shake when braking (not subtly but enough to spill drinks and to feel like we were riding a bucking Bronco). Called the dealership who said it was safe to drive until we returned to town and could take it back to the dealership. I took the car back in immediately when we returned and had the problem repaired. That lasted a few days and the brakes started to squeak and then grind. Car has been in again and still no relief from the problem. This is the 4th Chrysler Town and country I have had and the first time I have had any problems. I am going back to the dealership again which will make it at least 5 times in as many months. I am concerned that the vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- Saline, MI, USA

Aug 022009

Town & Country

My wife purchased a 2008 Chrysler Town and country in May 2008.this van was in need of new front rotors and brakes at 13000 miles ( which was out of warranty and we had to pay for) the repair was completed by the Chrysler dealership where the van was purchased. The an now has 19000 miles and is in need of another front brake job. It is also pulsating from the rear which means that the rotors and brakes are gone on the rear as well. In 30 years of owning vehicles I have never seen brakes and rotors that will be worn out at such low mileage. I have a friend and a sister in law who are experiencing similar problems with their 2008 T&C's. something must be done.

- Riverside, PA, USA

Dec 042009

Town & Country

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country van with just 22,000 miles on it and have been told I need new brakes and rotors. I have never had to replace brake pads at this low of mileage. I have heard from others that this is a problem with these vans due to the rotors and brake pads being to small. I feel that Chrysler should be made to recall these vehicles and put adequate brakes on them.

- Olathe, KS, USA