2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 11 of 13)

Nov 252009

Town & Country

I have had major brake problems with my Town and country 2008 van. I first need new rotors and pads at 11,000. Chrysler covered that under warranty. Then again at about 23,000 miles my pads needed to be replaced and rotors refinished. The second job I had done at midas, they had to replace the front brake pads and resurface the rotors two more times (in the last two months) because they keep glazing. Bottom line in conversations that I have had, it sounds like the rotors they put on this vehicle are not large enough to handle the weight of the van. I am concerned about this issue and it is creating much anxiety in me. I am always listening to the brakes and wonder how soon I am going to have to take them to be repaired again. I also worry that this can be a dangerous issue. I found forums on-line where thousands of people are having the same issue.

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Sep 142009

Town & Country

This complaint involves a 2008 Chrysler Town and country mini van. The vehicle was returned to the dealer to inspect brake system. Mileage was 27, 904. I was informed that the front disc pads and rotors needed replacement and the rear brakes were in good shape. This concerned me since I have never had to replace this early on a new vehicle. My previous vehicle was a 2001 Town and country, which was traded for the 2008. The 2001 had over 95,000 miles and I was told after inspection of the brakes that there was approximately 25% of the pads left. I also own a 1995 Dodge Ram pickup and had the pads replaced at 75,000 miles and still had pads left. I had the pads replaced on the 2008. Less than 1,000 miles later I had to replace the rear pads and rotors after being told they were ok. Something is wrong with this scenerio. This condition could have lead to a serious accident since the dealership gave me sense of assurance that the brake system was in good condition and I should have been able to gotten more mileage on the rear pads than a 1,000 miles. I feel that there may be a design flaw in the brake system since my driving habits have not changed in the last 50 years.

- Bulverde, TX, USA

Nov 242009

Town & Country

Brakes worn down to metal in less than 16,000 miles.

- Leonia, NJ, USA

May 152009

Town & Country

I purchased a 2008 Chrysler town & county and had to have brake pads replaced at 15000 miles. The dealership and Chrysler seems to think this is normal for this vehicle. I believe the brake system installed on these vehicle is not safe. No one buying this vehicle would expect to have to replace brakes at 15000 miles thus creating a safety conditions for those who do purchase them. I feel they should be recalled and replaced with proper pads and rotor.

- Wickliffe, KY, USA

Nov 042008

Town & Country

Faulty brake components, rotors and pads needing replacement after 12,000 miles on a new vehicle. I complained to the dealer, and notice that there seems to be a large number of people complaining online about front and rear brakes needing replacement on 2008 Chrysler Town & Country vans under 20,000 miles.

- Clarence, NY, USA

Nov 222009

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town & Country - front brake pads needed replacing after only 16,700 miles and 1 1/2 years. Left front brake pad had gone slightly askew and made a groove in the rotor, which needed replacement. Dealer attributed it to "normal wear and tear" and would not cover it under warranty. Never have I had to replace brakes on a brand new car!

- Apex, NC, USA

Nov 212009

Town & Country

Brake replacement - 2008 Chrysler Town & Country at 20,789 miles.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Nov 202009

Town & Country

Chrysler Town & Country with 21,000 miles only presents excessive wear of brake pads. Symptoms of the problem were noise, vibration and lately difficulty in braking: Car did not stop with brake pedal full down. Dealer service reports states that front brake pads have only 5% life remaining and pads and rotors had to be replaced for a total cost of $335 at owner expense. Chrysler has issued a service bulletin no. 05-006-08 on 12.09.2008 stating that "front brake pads may exhibit excessive noise, squeal/shudder/vibration and/or lining life complaints." But has not issued a recall even if this is a major safety issue. Chrysler customer service did not refund the expense for pads and rotors replacement stating that brakes are a wear component and wear out in different ways. An internet search shows that this is a major problem of this vehicle and many customers have filed complaints:,, etc. According to many customers, pads and rotors have to be replaced in this van every 15,000 miles to ensure the safety of the occupants.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 202009

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town & Country.

- Clayton, OH, USA

Dec 312008

Town & Country

1. brakes/rotors on 2008 Chrysler Town & Country need to be replaced at 12,000 miles; 2. had to replace front brakes again at 20,000 miles and rear at 27,000 which is unheard of (I have been driving a dozen different vehicles since 1983). 3. Chrysler covered the first job since the vehicle had under 12,000 miles on it. I have since spent over $600 and based on this frequency, will be spending again soon. Keep in mind this is a $42,000 vehicle - this should not be happening. I called Chrysler (both the dealer and the main corporate office) and they informed me that they will not cover this item.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Nov 182009

Town & Country

2008 Town and country mini van - complete transmission rebuilt at 13,000 miles, had to replace front brakes at 20,000 miles, shifter cable damaged and had to replace.

- Evans, GA, USA

Nov 172009

Town & Country

Had to replace my brake pads and rotors on my 2008 Town & Country at only 18000 miles. That is unacceptable!!!!!

- Lasalle, 00, USA

Mar 102009

Town & Country

At 16,000 had to replace front brake pads dealer said possibly rotors as well 2008 Chrysler T&C touring van. Rotors did not need changed but 16,000 miles are ridiculous for a brake pad change. Dealer said this is normal and had seen pad changes as early as 12,000've got to be kidding!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 062009

Town & Country

2008 Town & Country Chrysler mini-van needed complete front brake replacement including rotors. Shop repairing brakes said they had seen this on several other vans of the same year and with similar low mileage. I owned a Toyota highlander for over 3 years and never needed to do any brake work. Why would the brakes need to be completely replaced in little over a year of use and with less than 24K miles?

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 302009

Town & Country

After only 3000 miles I took it to the dealership (jan09) because I noticed that the front left rotor had abnormal grooves on it- I know a smooth rotor, and that one was not! right front rotor was smooth. Dealership returned vehicle saying all conditions normal- they didn't tell me about this huge problem- I had to find out about it myself! later, at 16,000 miles brakes squeaked under all braking conditions. Later, at 21,000 miles of normal city & highway driving & not harsh braking, I read about these multiple complaints and went to my local service station- yup, replace front pads & rotors for $350. Rotors were 1.075 and 1.079 (min spec 1.040); pads were 90% worn. I then called Chrysler customer service rep and senior resolution team- no luck. I went to a different dealership- no luck. Luckily for me based on my own intuition and research, I found out about the problem before my wife & kids were harmed by unsafe brakes. 21K miles for new brakes- you've got to be kidding me! I currently hold the failed parts. Pls help me & others.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Nov 112009

Town & Country

Brakes on 2008 Chrysler Town and country prematurely worn at 23,000 miles. Brakes were inspected by an authorized dealer at 19,200 miles during a routine tire rotation and no notification of worn brake pads was given. At approximately 22,000 miles we began to hear a light grinding in the front right wheel during braking. We took the vehicle into an authorized dealer at 23,600 miles for inspection of the grinding, which had gotten significantly worse. I was notified that the brakes were down to metal on metal and the rotors were too far gone to resurface. Authorized dealer replaced the rotors, brake pads, and flushed and replaced the brake fluid at the owner's expense of $575. This appears to be premature for pads to go to metal on metal at only 23,600 miles with no prior notification. There was no warning of worn brake pads such as a wear sensor or indicator which causes a squealing in the brakes on most vehicles. First indication that the pads were worn was when the metal on metal sound was heard.

- Cameron, NC, USA

Jul 312009

Town & Country

7/31/09 - 21,897 vehicle miles - brakes began squeaking - dealer rep. Recommended we wash any brake dust out of the wheels to see if that resolved the problem. 8/5/09 - brought the vehicle back to the dealer as this did not resolve the problem. It was squeaking and making a crunching sound when braking, like metal to metal. Believe it was unsafe to drive - had the vehicle towed to the dealer. Vehicle had 22,009 miles. We were told the front brake pads were at $26.97 and minimum specs are 26.4. the dealer replaced the front brake pads and front rotors were turned. We were told the rotors did not need replacing at that time. 8/25/09 - we were still experiencing a pulsation when braking. Took the vehicle to our personal mechanic. They replaced and resurfaced the front rotors that were warped. The brakes felt better but we still noticed an unusual shuddering and heard a deep creaking sound at the tail end while braking. Our personal mechanic advised the rear pads needed replacing and the rear rotors had 45% wear. Fearing we would have to replace the rear rotors in the near future, we opted to save labor charges later and have both the rear pads and rotors replaced. The brakes are performing wonderfully now and are very smooth. We feel they are safe. We are concerned though that we will have to replace pads and rotors every 20,000 miles and believe this is unsafe and unreasonable. We have owned many Chrysler & Dodge vehicles in the past and specifically bought this based on our past positive experiences with these vehicles. I am the principal driver of the vehicle and have never had this problem with any vehicles I have owned in the past. My driving conditions and style have not changed either.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Nov 052009

Town & Country

The front brakes on my 2008 Chrysler Town and country needs to be replaced....the vehicle only has 26000 miles on it, at a cost of several hundred dollars. After researching blogs, etc., I have discovered that many other owners have experienced the same problem (including the Dodge Caravan) and I believe it's a serious issue that requires Chrysler to cover the costs we (the consumers) have incurred because of this defect. That should be enough to raise a red flag, but I know we are not the only consumers with this problem. Chrysler/Dodge has even acknowledged the issue with tsb #05-006-08 issued 12-08-2009. But it is not cover by the warranty.

- Remlap, AL, USA

Nov 052009

Town & Country

I purchased my 2008 T & C 4 months ago and it has 14,000 and it now has only 17,000 miles. I took it to the dealer today because it was making noises that sounded like there was something wrong with the brakes and also for the dvd player, and the outlet that wasn't working the back. They told me the brake pads and rotors would have to be replaced. I would have to fork out $400. This is obviously an ongoing problem that Chrysler needs to own up to and fix. They already got me for the cost of the van and now it seems every 5-10,000 they will be getting me for $400 because I am going to have to replace the brakes and rotors.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 012009

Town & Country

Needs new front pads and rotors at 14,000 miles. I made the mistake of waiting to long to report problem because the warranty is 12,000 miles and problem started well before 12,000 miles.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA