2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 6 of 13)

Jun 142010

Town & Country

Within 10000 miles of use, my 2008 Chrysler town and country started having brake problems. I was told that I needed to have pads and rotors replaced. They were going to charge me full price but I did a little research online and found other complaints of the same problem so I called the service manager and complained. He said they see it all the time and it's not right but they can't do anything about a recall. They are clearly aware of a brake problem and yet they aren't doing anything to resolve the problem, this needs to be addressed.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

May 192010

Town & Country

I have a Chrysler town and country 2008 minivan. I have had brake and rotor problems beginning after one year. I had front brakes pads replaced and rotors resurfaced at 11,300 miles. I did not trust Chrysler to do it. At 20,740 miles, I had to do replace front brakes and rotors again. At 22,000 miles, the car shook like a carnival ride when I applied brakes. Rear rotors were warped and they were replaced along with the caliper slides. On the rear right, the slide pin bolt was damaged. Within four months, at 24,700 miles, the rear brakes were replaced again. At 24,947, the ac hose was ruptured. Five weeks later, at 26, 869 miles, I had all brakes and rotors replaced again. This time we put in ceramic brake pads and better quality rotors. The service man notified me that the front brake rotor was very overheated with blue scorch marks. He said a possible fire could have happened due to brake caliper or collapsed brake hose issue. We hate this van. It is two years old and has cost us a fortune. Chrysler should reimburse us for all the brakes and rotors.

- Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA

Nov 012009

Town & Country

I had to have new brakes twice already. It seemed pretty odd that is was at 18,000 and then again exactly 18K later at 36,000 miles. After reading other complaints I realize I am not imagining this. These brakes were not made to last. For $27K that I paid for this new van with all kinds of bells and whistles, I didn't think the brakes would be the thing that continued to be a problem.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

May 062010

Town & Country

Brakes went out on a 2008 Chrysler town and country van with only 27,00 0miles. Problem first occurred when the car had less than 20,000 miles. My understanding is that this is not an isolated problem.

- St Clair, MI, USA

Jun 102010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town and country. Consumer expresses comments regarding brakes problems

- Macungie, PA, USA

May 242010

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler town and country. The contact stated that when driving at 40 mph, the vehicle vibrated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the contact was informed that the front brakes needed to be replaced. The repair was performed at that time. However, the failure occurred again less than four months later with the rear brakes. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership for repair. The current and failure mileages were approximately 33,000. Updated 09/07/10. Updated 09/10/10

- Norwalk, IA, USA

Feb 132010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler town and country brakes having to be replaced before 20000 miles. When I took my vehicle in, the brakes were grinding and squealing. I was told that I got it to them in time to save the rotors. The repairs still cost in excess of $300. My van was bought to accommodate trips from fort walton beach to St petersburg for my son's doctor appointments and surgery. The van now has approx 33000 miles on it and I'm having to take it back to the shop for the brakes that are already starting to squeal again.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 072010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakepad/rotor damage (requiring complete replacement of all components).

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 162010

Town & Country

Bad brakes on 2008 Chrysler town and country rotors warp and brakes ware out within 8,000 miles I had to replace brakes 3 times and cut rotors twice and replaced them twice in 36,000 miles of driving. I took it to the dealer to have it checked out and he told me the new vans are heaver than the old vans and they didn't increase the break size and this is causing them to over heat and warp the rotors and ware the brake pads out even under normal driving. There are thousands of complaints and even brake failures listed on line and to Chrysler. I called Chrysler and they said they new of the problem and they don't know if they are going the recall this model to fix this prob. You need to step in and hurry up the recall before somebody gets hurt or killed, not to mention it is very expensive to keep fixing this prob.

- Brownsville, PA, USA

Jul 132009

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler town and country radiator defect at 28000 miles rotors and calipers needed to be replaced twice within 15000 miles (from 15K to 30K miles on vehicle). Brakes have been done 3 times and are in need of a new set less than 1500 miles since last new set. I damaged the back end of my T+C because the brakes failed to stop; luckily, my children weren't in the car. Chrysler is giving the runaround and when I bought the car less than a year ago, they brakes were squeaking like metal on metal and they said the brakes were fine (I had them checked three times within a 3 month period and one of the times my family and I were at the dealership for over 6 hours waiting!) Chrysler's complaint department said they would contact me on both phones (cell and home) and I have yet to hear back.

- West Falmouth, MA, USA

Oct 132009

Town & Country

Brakes and rotors continue to fail. Replaced both brakes and rotors1/13/09 at 20,000 miles, replaced both brakes and rotors again 10/13/09 at 38,500 miles and now at 50,000 miles the rotors are going again causing a vibration. Chrysler refuses to acknowledge a problem when even the dealer recognized it.

- Columbus, NJ, USA

May 012008

Town & Country

2008 town and country brakes need to be replaced at low mileage.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Feb 252010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Consumer states that the rear brakes became hot, made a noise, and gave off a burning smell. The dealer found the pads binding in the caliper bracket and the calipers had seized..

- Parishville, NY, USA

Oct 102009

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler town&county with less then 20,000 almost all highway driven miles needed brake pads and rotors replaced twice!

- Windcrest, TX, USA

Town & Country

While driving 2008 town&country on expressway experienced vibration from rear wheel and began to smell something burning. At this time I immediately slowed the vehicle and took first available exit. Checked rear tires, both ok, smelled strong burning odor coming from rear driver wheel. Rim was extremely hot, could see smoke coming from rotor & brake caliper area. Brake caliper seemed to be stuck. Had happened on previous instance approx 2months before. On previous instance dealer cleaned brake said could not find anything. This instance dealer claimed corrosion between stainless steel clips and brake pad material caused brakes to seize. I personally asked dealer to inspect parts. Stainless clips were shiny no sign of corrosion between dis-similar metals as dealer stated. Dealer stated they have witness this happening very often and admitted component design as defective, however stated Chrysler corporate offices advise not to cover under warranty as defect. Dealership replaced brake pads, but I am sure this did not fix the root cause of the issue as there were no signs of corrosion as dealer stated which would cause sticking. Also had front brakes wear out at 14K miles with rotors completely worn as well. Dealer also admitted defective but stated not covered under warranty. I am mostly concerned with the seizing of the re brake as I feel I have now 2 times been given band-aid solutions by 2 different dealerships and true root cause not established. I am concern for the safety and welfare of my family and other with regards to the seizing brake incidents and feel that expressway speeds with such an event loss of control is possible which could result in a crash. Also I have concern that this event could have potential to cause a fire as I have witnessed a burning smell and seen smoke in the area when the event had occurred. I would appreciate if this matter could be properly investigated as Chrysler is not giving it the proper attention it deserves.

- Holly, MI, USA

Town & Country

I bought a new 2008 Chrysler a year ago. My brakes felt funny and squeaky from day one. As days went by, the brakes were squealing on a regular basis. At 21,000 miles I decided to make an appt. To have them checked.. before I could get in, I lost my front brakes while driving kids to school. The dealer paid for the parts but I had to pay for the labor. After research, it seems that the 2008 owners are complaining a lot and this has happened many times. Does this have to kill someone before it gets made public? this needs to be investigated and taken care of immediately. Before there is a death. From what I read, this will happen to me every 20,000 miles and that should not be at all.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Town & Country

Bought a 2008 town and country Sept 2008 in June 2009 brakes started squeaking badly had Chrysler check brakes they has 8,927 miles on them and was told they were fine but dust gets in and casues the squeaking. For months got worse and worse embarrissing everytime you stop everyone looks at U cause your squeling so loudly after looking up on internet and finding thousands of complaints about the 2008 brake failure at low milage and having a freind who traded her car in and got a diff car because of such problems I decided to have Chrysler check my brakes again April 23,2010 and now my brake pads and rotors in front were bad and needed new replacement I have only 18,000 miles and this should not be happening. I have owned other Dodge and Chrysler minivans and have never had to replace brakes at such a low milage or deal with constant squeaking.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Sep 172009

Town & Country

Had to replace the front brakes on 2008 chrylser minivan at only 25,000 miles. Mechanic said rear brakes were also close to needing replacement. New brakes already squealing after 5,000 miles and brakes seem to overheat quickly, making it more difficult to stop the van. I see on-line that there are hundreds of similar complaints on various chat groups (including edmunds). I think Chrysler already has a service bulletin on this - tsb #05-006-08.

- Hopkinton, MA, USA

Apr 122010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the contact heard a loud squeaking and grinding noise from the rear brakes. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the contact was informed that the front and rear brakes needed to be replaced at the contacts expense. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a claim; she was awaiting a return call at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were approximately 44,000.

- Webster City, IA, USA

Mar 222010

Town & Country

We purchased a brand new 2008 Chrysler Town & Country mini van just before Nov 25, 2008. A month ago at 17,000 we had to put on all new(front and back) brake pads and rotors! this car is not driven hard or funny, we do not ride our brakes. Since Chrysler does not cover brakes after 12,000 miles so we had them repaired at the oilworks, by a man we trust. The cost was $400, yesterday, 300 miles after the new brakes were installed we had to have new rotors installed again! we were not charged for the second rotors but were told that there was so much brake dust the pads were already wearing! I started looking online and found that there are literally thousands of people with the same complaint about abnormal brake wear on the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country vans. We paid about $30,000 for this vehicle and we maintain it properly. I think Chrysler should have to stand up for the lousy brakes they are installing on these cars. And come up with a brake product that works!

- Cumberland, MD, USA