2008 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 47 of 56)

Jun 022014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated the key became lodged in the ignition switch and failed to come out although the vehicle was in the park position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. However, no solution was offered. The approximate failure mileage was 89,775.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jul 152012

Town & Country 6-cyl

This vehicle drove straight into a stopped vehicle resulting in $8990 in damages to the front including destruction of the bumper, replacement of the hood, etc. The air bag did not deploy; something the manager at the repair facility couldn't believe. In the past year or so, the vehicle will "capture" the key when you attempt to shut the engine off and remove the key. You have to restart the engine and cycle the key back off to remove the key. It takes as many as five cycles of shutting off the engine and restarting the engine before the key can be removed. The problem is consistent but sporadic; I.e., it happens a few times then is fine for a few weeks and then the problem resurfaces.

- Madison, AL, USA

Jun 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle has "shut off" while driving at moderate speeds (30-45 mph) 3 times within the past month. The most recent incident was June 25. The vehicle "shuts off" with no warning and no check engine light. I will have the vehicle checked for codes, on the off chance something has been stored. So far, I have been able to guide the vehicle to the side of the road and come to a stop. It appears that I still had steering and braking capabilities. I was able to put the vehicle in park, restart the vehicle, and travel on without incident the first two occurrences. However, on June 25, the vehicle would not immediately restart. It did restart after several attempts. Unless the condition repeats for the mechanic, the likelihood of their being able to diagnose the root cause is slim. Within the past week, there have been several times the vehicle has been difficult to start. The vehicle will turn on and then immediately turn itself off. Adding gas by depressing the fuel pedal does not affect the vehicle's ability to remain started. It still turns itself off. Thus far, I have been able to get the vehicle started eventually. This incident has occurred on both hot and cold start conditions.

- Bedford, NH, USA

Jun 262014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the electrical components malfunctioned and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed but not repaired. The diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 262013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I just left my work related training class around 4:45pm and it was raining on that day. I noticed that I turned on my wipers, the front light and I immediately noticed that my wiper, the front light, signal light, heater and air condition stopped working suddenly. I tried to adjust my wiper speed but could not do any thing, to even turn it off was not possible. My signal failed to work, my horn also failed. I parked to see what might be the problem but could not electronically unlock the doors, also I noticed that when I turn the ignition key to on position, the dash light on the board was off, wiper is moving without been turned on and the light was not on after I started the vehicle. This is a potential danger and this has happened seven to ten times and these only happened when it was raining or during cold weather.

- Desoto , TX, USA

Jun 222014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while starting the ignition, the windshield wipers activated independently with the illumination of the entire instrument panel. In addition, the passenger's side power sliding door failed to open and close properly. The failure occurred whenever the engine was in operation. In 2011, the vehicle was repaired under a voluntary recall issued by the manufacturer. The campaign number was K14( power sliding door wiring harness). The remedy did not correct the problem because the failure recurred. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the electrical components on the vehicle malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed the total integrated power module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 70,000. Updated 09/16/14 updated 1/20/2015

- Defiance, OH, USA

Jun 052013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Ignition dies. Loses power steering and brakes. Have to coast to a stop off the road. After stopping the van the engine does restart. Has done it 20 times. Took van to dealer to check out problem in April 2014 and dealer could find no problem but updated the firmware on the ECU(s) - 6 updates. After this update the engine has not died while driving. I hope the condition is not related to our warmer weather in the last 8 weeks.

- East Moline, IL, USA

Jun 032013

Town & Country 6-cyl

In June, 2013, I was leaving the parking lot of an office building. As I approached the street the car shut off; I was driving approximately 30mph. I applied the brakes and started it. The next time, I was driving out of my yard at about 5 miles per hour and the car shut off. When I went over a crack in the street, the car shut of, I was driving about 35 mpr. While on the entrance ramp to the interstate, the car shut off; I was driving about 50 mpr. Between my husband and me, these instances have occurred more than 50 times starting in 2013. We took the car to the dealership, stone mountain Chrysler in June, 2013 and they kept the vehicle for a couple of days. They stated they could not find what the problem was. We continued to contact them about the problem and again took the car back on October 14, 2013, to the Chrysler dealership, now called gwinnett Chrysler dealership, in stone mountain. They kept the vehicle for two weeks, and still stated they could not determine the problem. Finally, we were told by the dealership that we should retrieve our vehicle as they could not determine the problem, which we did on October 31, 2013. On November 1, 2013, the vehicle shut off as I was driving out of my driveway, and I was driving less than 5 miles per hour. We have communicated our problem to the consumer department of Chrysler in detroit on October 29, 2013, and have heard nothing. We called them a few times to follow up, and were told they were still "researching the problem. They called us back in December 2013, to ask if we were still experiencing the problem, and we told them that we were. We have heard nothing since.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 082014

Town & Country

June 8 & 9 car was locked and going into store and was away from car. Horns went solid, both wipers went high speed. Windshield washer spayed, lights flashing, security alarm started. Tried remote buttons and finally stopped. June 12, car sitting in drive unlocked for a couple hours. Open door to lock the car. The horn went on solid, wipers both front and back went high speed, lights flashing. Tried to take keys and turn on the car and nothing. Intermittent door locks and unlocks. Soon the horn changed pitches and acted like security alarm on, . wiper fluid started running. Tried remote but did stop.fan was running on condenser. Finally unhooked battery to stop.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Mar 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Car ignition switch jumped from run to accessory or in between them. Car stopped abruptly with no indicators present on the dash board. This happened 6 or 7 times more, once while driving on the main street of my town. A dangerous situation was avoided by my wrestling the car to the curb and onto the sidewalk. I reported the fault to my local dealer as an ignition switch problem but Chrysler (factory?) had them adjust the fuel trim, reset the memory, and perform battery disconnect and capacitive discharge. This did not work! the switch still "trips" to the accessory position. Has happened several times more since the "attempted "repair.

- Blackstone, VA, USA

Oct 122013

Town & Country

My 2008 Chrysler Town & Country loses power when starting car but also when driving in normal roadway conditions. No other keys are on the key ring. I have had it at the dealer 3 times for loss of power issues. First time the wen module was replaced when car would lose power while driving and had trouble re-starting. Repair seemed to help for about two months but then car lost power but would restart once car came to a stop. First time at dealer was told car would not cooperate and they could not get the car to stop when they drove it and no error code. I specifically asked about the ignition and was told it was definitely not the ignition. Was told to bring it back if it happened again - it had happened everyday the previous week including 3 times in one day. Took the car back and was told they found the problem and repaired but lost power on way home. Will be trying a different dealer in the next couple days but car lost power again today. Fortunately, no accident yet but am extremely careful when driving and am limiting my driving to essential short trips. The car makes a click when loss of power and key is no longer in "on" position. Seems to me like the ignition. I told the dealer what it does.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down the road the road I hear a light click and the engine shuts down, and steering becomes locked and I have to put the car in park to restart the vehicle. When this continued to happen after I heard the click I would look down and the key has moved from the on position to the acc position. This has happened multiple times since 11-14-2012 and happened a lot during 2013, I finally called Chrysler in August of 2013 when the van shut down while driving and one time while sitting in line at the bank and that same day while making a left hand turn and almost got hit as lots of traffic during rush hour. I took the van to avondale Dodge and they finally replaced the fuel pump as they found it was cracked this was in October of 2013, so my claim was closed with Chrysler. Van shut down again on 12-22-13 while looking at christimas lights in my community. There have been several other incidents since 12-22-13 that my van has shut down the latest being on 6-4-14 while driving on the 101 freeway going 65 miles an hour. I had to think quick and I remember that my son who has a 2005 Dodge Ram had this same issue with his truck and he told me to put the transmission into neutral and restart the van as it was coasting and then put it back into drive. The van restarted and I was able to get to my destination and back home without issue. I called Chrysler on 6-6-14 to report that the issue continues and that it happened on the freeway this last time. They started a new claim and had me take it back to larry H. miller avondale Dodge. The dealer can still not recreate the issue! I fear for the safety of myself, children and grandchildren.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Aug 192013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated and the entire instrument panel warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the power steering failed and was unable to apply the brakes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the win module and ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,029 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Broomall, PA, USA

May 282014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The ignition on our 2008 Chrysler Town & Country has started getting stuck in the acc position. At the time of the first incident (May 28, 2014) it only took a few attempts at starting the van again and trying to turn it off before the ignition would properly turn off and release the key. At this time (June 18, 2014) these incidents have become more frequent and the duration has increased, also. On June 15, 2014, for example, I was unable to turn the van off and remove the keys from the ignition. I parked, restarted the van several times and attempted to turn the van off, but nothing worked. I drove around the parking lot of the grocery store before parking again and attempting several more times to turn off the vehicle and remove the keys with no luck. After approximately one hour of unsuccessful attempts, I left the grocery store and went back home. The ignition continued to stick in acc for around 30 minutes after returning home. I decided to just leave the keys in the vehicle and occasionally return to the vehicle to try to turn it off and remove the keys. It worked eventually and went one day without any incidents but it has continued to happen several times over the past two days.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Jun 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

As you are driving the dashboard will start a beeping sound, lights on dash will flash on and off. The seat will start to move back and forward, up and down. This is very dangerous for this to happen while you are driving.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 212014

Town & Country

Having problems with the electrical system as described by many others here. Car can be sitting still in driveway or driving when the horn will go off, dashboard lights go on, wipers starting going up and down, windshield fluid starts shooting out, electrical components in vehicle don't work, A/C doesn't work, and if driving, car will not shift into gear at higher speeds. Cannot turn off or stop any of this. I tried turning car on and off, hit buttons on remote, and this will continue for a few minutes until finally stopping on its on. Very scary when you are driving! almost got in multiple accidents so far and with my kids in the car!

- Trumbull, CT, USA

May 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had issues with stalling for months. Since February 2014, I have taken to local service center 3 times but they cannot fix it. Finally on May 1, 2014 after the vehicle stalled 2 times, I was involved in a collision. No injuries and the only damage was to my vehicle. Current estimate to repair the vehicle from the collision is $1700. There is no estimate to repair the stalling because there is no solution known to cause the stalling. Typical stall: While driving, the power steering gives out and then the brakes lock up. The vehicle has to be put into park after I attempt to safely stop. The key has to be turned all the way to off position before it will restart. Frequency is 1-4 times per week.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 262014

Town & Country

Was driving down the road when the alarm started beeping, lights on dashboard flickered, and wipers go on and off on their own. Has happened several times. Now the passenger back door automatic buttons do not work and the driver's seat will move forward and back when driving. This is a huge safety issue and the Chrysler dealerships are not helpful in finding a solution. Said it will take several weeks to try and diagnose what's wrong. I am alarmed that more people are having similar issues and a recall has not been made. It's hard to drive when your seat is moving. In addition, sometimes my transmission will not shift. Seems to be an electrical problem. Once I turn the vehicle off and restart it, seems to run fine.

- Hollansburg, OH, USA

May 192014

Town & Country 6-cyl

We have been having an ongoing issue with our 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The horn will start blowing, the wipers will come on, fluid will start spraying, the A/C will come off and on, doorlocks will not work, and all this will happen while driving and when it is sitting in the garage with no key in the ignition. I have a 4 year old daughter and when this happens while driving we have come very close to being in an accident. The only way to stop the vehicle from doing this is to disconnect the battery. Not safe.

- Tucson, AZ, USA