2008 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 47 of 55)

Jun 082014

Town & Country

June 8 & 9 car was locked and going into store and was away from car. Horns went solid, both wipers went high speed. Windshield washer spayed, lights flashing, security alarm started. Tried remote buttons and finally stopped. June 12, car sitting in drive unlocked for a couple hours. Open door to lock the car. The horn went on solid, wipers both front and back went high speed, lights flashing. Tried to take keys and turn on the car and nothing. Intermittent door locks and unlocks. Soon the horn changed pitches and acted like security alarm on, . wiper fluid started running. Tried remote but did was running on condenser. Finally unhooked battery to stop.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Mar 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Car ignition switch jumped from run to accessory or in between them. Car stopped abruptly with no indicators present on the dash board. This happened 6 or 7 times more, once while driving on the main street of my town. A dangerous situation was avoided by my wrestling the car to the curb and onto the sidewalk. I reported the fault to my local dealer as an ignition switch problem but Chrysler (factory?) had them adjust the fuel trim, reset the memory, and perform battery disconnect and capacitive discharge. This did not work! the switch still "trips" to the accessory position. Has happened several times more since the "attempted "repair.

- Blackstone, VA, USA

Oct 122013

Town & Country

My 2008 Chrysler Town & Country loses power when starting car but also when driving in normal roadway conditions. No other keys are on the key ring. I have had it at the dealer 3 times for loss of power issues. First time the wen module was replaced when car would lose power while driving and had trouble re-starting. Repair seemed to help for about two months but then car lost power but would restart once car came to a stop. First time at dealer was told car would not cooperate and they could not get the car to stop when they drove it and no error code. I specifically asked about the ignition and was told it was definitely not the ignition. Was told to bring it back if it happened again - it had happened everyday the previous week including 3 times in one day. Took the car back and was told they found the problem and repaired but lost power on way home. Will be trying a different dealer in the next couple days but car lost power again today. Fortunately, no accident yet but am extremely careful when driving and am limiting my driving to essential short trips. The car makes a click when loss of power and key is no longer in "on" position. Seems to me like the ignition. I told the dealer what it does.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down the road the road I hear a light click and the engine shuts down, and steering becomes locked and I have to put the car in park to restart the vehicle. When this continued to happen after I heard the click I would look down and the key has moved from the on position to the acc position. This has happened multiple times since 11-14-2012 and happened a lot during 2013, I finally called Chrysler in August of 2013 when the van shut down while driving and one time while sitting in line at the bank and that same day while making a left hand turn and almost got hit as lots of traffic during rush hour. I took the van to avondale Dodge and they finally replaced the fuel pump as they found it was cracked this was in October of 2013, so my claim was closed with Chrysler. Van shut down again on 12-22-13 while looking at christimas lights in my community. There have been several other incidents since 12-22-13 that my van has shut down the latest being on 6-4-14 while driving on the 101 freeway going 65 miles an hour. I had to think quick and I remember that my son who has a 2005 Dodge Ram had this same issue with his truck and he told me to put the transmission into neutral and restart the van as it was coasting and then put it back into drive. The van restarted and I was able to get to my destination and back home without issue. I called Chrysler on 6-6-14 to report that the issue continues and that it happened on the freeway this last time. They started a new claim and had me take it back to larry H. miller avondale Dodge. The dealer can still not recreate the issue! I fear for the safety of myself, children and grandchildren.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Aug 192013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated and the entire instrument panel warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the power steering failed and was unable to apply the brakes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the win module and ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,029 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Broomall, PA, USA

May 282014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The ignition on our 2008 Chrysler Town & Country has started getting stuck in the acc position. At the time of the first incident (May 28, 2014) it only took a few attempts at starting the van again and trying to turn it off before the ignition would properly turn off and release the key. At this time (June 18, 2014) these incidents have become more frequent and the duration has increased, also. On June 15, 2014, for example, I was unable to turn the van off and remove the keys from the ignition. I parked, restarted the van several times and attempted to turn the van off, but nothing worked. I drove around the parking lot of the grocery store before parking again and attempting several more times to turn off the vehicle and remove the keys with no luck. After approximately one hour of unsuccessful attempts, I left the grocery store and went back home. The ignition continued to stick in acc for around 30 minutes after returning home. I decided to just leave the keys in the vehicle and occasionally return to the vehicle to try to turn it off and remove the keys. It worked eventually and went one day without any incidents but it has continued to happen several times over the past two days.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Jun 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

As you are driving the dashboard will start a beeping sound, lights on dash will flash on and off. The seat will start to move back and forward, up and down. This is very dangerous for this to happen while you are driving.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 212014

Town & Country

Having problems with the electrical system as described by many others here. Car can be sitting still in driveway or driving when the horn will go off, dashboard lights go on, wipers starting going up and down, windshield fluid starts shooting out, electrical components in vehicle don't work, A/C doesn't work, and if driving, car will not shift into gear at higher speeds. Cannot turn off or stop any of this. I tried turning car on and off, hit buttons on remote, and this will continue for a few minutes until finally stopping on its on. Very scary when you are driving! almost got in multiple accidents so far and with my kids in the car!

- Trumbull, CT, USA

May 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had issues with stalling for months. Since February 2014, I have taken to local service center 3 times but they cannot fix it. Finally on May 1, 2014 after the vehicle stalled 2 times, I was involved in a collision. No injuries and the only damage was to my vehicle. Current estimate to repair the vehicle from the collision is $1700. There is no estimate to repair the stalling because there is no solution known to cause the stalling. Typical stall: While driving, the power steering gives out and then the brakes lock up. The vehicle has to be put into park after I attempt to safely stop. The key has to be turned all the way to off position before it will restart. Frequency is 1-4 times per week.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 262014

Town & Country

Was driving down the road when the alarm started beeping, lights on dashboard flickered, and wipers go on and off on their own. Has happened several times. Now the passenger back door automatic buttons do not work and the driver's seat will move forward and back when driving. This is a huge safety issue and the Chrysler dealerships are not helpful in finding a solution. Said it will take several weeks to try and diagnose what's wrong. I am alarmed that more people are having similar issues and a recall has not been made. It's hard to drive when your seat is moving. In addition, sometimes my transmission will not shift. Seems to be an electrical problem. Once I turn the vehicle off and restart it, seems to run fine.

- Hollansburg, OH, USA

May 192014

Town & Country 6-cyl

We have been having an ongoing issue with our 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The horn will start blowing, the wipers will come on, fluid will start spraying, the A/C will come off and on, doorlocks will not work, and all this will happen while driving and when it is sitting in the garage with no key in the ignition. I have a 4 year old daughter and when this happens while driving we have come very close to being in an accident. The only way to stop the vehicle from doing this is to disconnect the battery. Not safe.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 132014

Town & Country

I was driving at about 20mph, suddenly all the warning lights came on and the wipers started acting up. Since I was close to home and had this happened before, I decided to head back. The first time this happened was in February, my husband disconnected the battery and the problem was solved, second time was two weeks ago, changed the battery on the remote key and problem was solved, now my husband has disconnected the battery since every time this has happened the alarm comes on, tried disconnecting the battery and connecting it back again with no luck, alarm is still activated and remote won't shut it off and the van won't start.....its just sitting in my driveway with no idea on what it could be, after reading some of the reviews and learning that alot have the same problem I'm having and with no luck have they found the solution just makes me wonder if this will be a recall anytime soon...really hope so, now I'm stuck with a dead van in my driveway!!

- Brownsville, TX, USA

May 032014

Town & Country

Van intermittently stalls at low speed unexpectedly. Gauges will fail at high speed, but has only died at low speeds. Occurs when cold outside. Must turn ignition off and on again to start. Sometimes must put in gear and back to park first.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I used my remote key button to start my vehicle, when I opened the door to enter the vehicle I noticed that the windshield wipers came on by them selves, they operated as if they were on delay until I placed the ignition key into the slot and place it in the start position, I then backed up and headed to work, all the way into town my dash lights flickered off and on, the wipers operated all by themselves even though they were turned off, the key chime continually chimed, both of the front window and the side view mirror control buttons on the driver side control panel did not work, but the side door window buttons and the rear louver window buttons and the passenger door window control panel buttons worked, the headlights flashed off and on and the turn signal lights were intermittent when switched on, as I said before the driver side window buttons would not work, therefore I could not use hand signals and I almost got rear ended. Also when applying the brake pedal the brakes would chatter and the front end of the vehicle shook so much it felt like the front end was going to come off. So I shut off the vehicle and started it normally with the key in the ignition, it still went crazy, the same thing was happening as described earlier, I later looked online and one forum answer said to disconnect the battery to try and do a reset, I disconnected the battery completely and then after 5 minutes I hooked the battery back up and started the vehicle, no change it was still doing the same thing and continues to do it every time I start the vehicle.I cannot afford another vehicle payment, so I continue to drive it this way! I have seen this problem mentioned all over the internet posted on many Chrysler and Dodge product forums! it seems to be that there are not any recalls or tsr's relating to this problem but there certainly should be!!!!

- Pleasant Plains, IL, USA

Apr 162014

Town & Country

When I try to open the sliding door, it started freaking out. Lights flashing, wipers on, washer fluid dispersing, horn blowing etc. I thought I accidentally pressed the panic button. I pressed the other buttons in the remote and it stopped after a while. It happened again while driving in a highway and stopped after a while. Took it to the dealer and they are saying that they can't find any fault codes in their diagnosis. Call Chrysler and asked them whether this a manufacturer error or recall. They are not helpful. Checked the internet and many people complained about the same about Chrysler vehicles. Dealer mechanic says it might be issue with total integrated power module. This is their best guess and not sure whether it's going to fix the issue. Their estimate is $1000 to fix it. I don't want to spend $1000 where the dealer is not even sure it's going to fix the issue.I'm wondering about why Chrysler is not taking responsibility of this issue and make a recall since I do see may complaints about the same issue with multiple Chrysler vehicles.

- Northville, MI, USA

Apr 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down a main road, the car suddenly shut down. Nothing worked. I could not brake or steer as power steering went. The only thing that stayed on was the radio. Car slowly coasted and eventually stopped. My 2 young children were in the car, I have already told dealer about this and they said they could find nothing wrong but that it sounds like a key roll back issue. They told me if it happens while driving again I should turn key as it may have moved from on position to acc position due to a bump in the road. Turning the key did nothing. After the car stopped I attempted to restart car and everything worked except the malfunction indicator light stayed on. This is a serious issue and Chrysler service department did not seem to care when I called! then I begin researching and find that they recalled 2009 vehicles of the same make for the same problem!

- Olmsted Township , OH, USA

Apr 072014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 103,000.

- Stony Point, NC, USA

Jun 042012

Town & Country

Two years ago, while driving at night, horn, wipers, wiper fluid and lights began going off and on by themselves. Stopped the car and turned off the car, but it kept on going on. I was in the car with my 5 children and my husband was not with us. It totally freaked out my children and me. My husband came and disconnected the battery and it stopped. On the way home it had stopped. Call our Chrysler dealership in the morning, but they had no idea what we were talking about and said to bring it in. Not being under warranty (68,000 miles) we decided to do our own research (husband works on cars on a regular basis). We only found that others in this situation were not having any luck at dealership. We have learned how to deal with this for 2 years now. We have taken out the fuse for the horn and wipers (as both will not turn off anymore) and insert wipers when raining. We don't feel safe with this situation, but not able to do anything else. Happens often without pattern. Waiting for a recall since this seems to be a huge problem with Chrysler. Very disappointed in the product.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Mar 212014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Town and country touring. This incident has happened twice. While driving the vehicle there was a loud click then all electronics flash and the vehicle shuts off. The steering, brakes everything locks up but the car continues to move. Luckily both time this has happened we where in a neighborhood, driving slow and no one was hurt. I have had this into the dealership twice, but they can never diagnose or replicate it. Both times the dealership has guessed at what it could be, but obviously the first time they were not correct. Since the dealership can not diagnose it, my concern is that the next time it happens someone could get hurt. I have read multiple sites that this issue has occurred to countless other, but no recall. Now, reading about the issues that GM is going through it sounds exactly the same, but Chrysler is not doing anything about it.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 012008

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the ignition switch released from start without warning and caused the vehicle to stall. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection however the dealer advised the contact that the vehicle did not need to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Mohegan Lake , NY, USA