2008 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 49 of 56)

Mar 032014

Town & Country

Automobile shuts off unexpectedly while driving. Driving in dry conditions. Speed range between 20-35 mph the car unexpectedly shuts off. The steering becomes un-responsive, brakes fail and not work. You have to take the keys out of the ignition, and re-insert keys to get the car to start again. I reported this issue last year. This happened also last year several times. Chrysler said it was a software issue and updated software. This is a lie. The car has done this 10 times since owning it. I drive 5 children to school. This is a very big safety issue. 2009+ Town and country's have been recalled for this very complaint, but will not acknowledge it for 2008 models. I guess they are going to wait til a family gets killed to recognize it. I am afraid to sell this car to anyone.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Feb 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

When I went to start my car the windshield wipers came on would not go off. The dash board lights are flashing and the bell sound in the car wont go off. The speedometer and RPM gauges will not work. The lights dim. I had small issues with this previously but it stopped. I tried to rest the computer system by disconnecting the battery but it did not work.. I have had many issues with this car. My engine went out because of a rod bearing. I had asked the dealership to listen to the knocking in the car but they said they did not hear any thing. I always had my oil changed when required. My mother has the same year and model car and now hers is doing the same thing. It cost me $1500 to repair. I only had 60,000 miles on it when in started and 80,000 when it went out.

- Willimston , SC, USA

May 012013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Key will not release from ignition cannot turn the car completely off, have to wait minutes to sometimes hours for key to be released to turn key to off position and take key out. Have had my battery die a few times because of this issue.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 012013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle would suddenly stall. The contact was stopped at a red light and when she attempted to accelerate and the vehicle stalled. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was diagnosed by a local dealer, who indicated that the ignition switch and module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Andover, IL, USA

Sep 022013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The key will not remove from the ignition. Chrysler has replaced my key twice thinking that was the solution. It was not. Currently the only way to get the key out of my ignition is to - leave my keys in my car until my battery dies or unhook my battery to remove the key. I've been told by a Chrysler dealership that this is something Chrysler is 'looking into' as a potential recall and that only Chrysler dealerships are allowed to fix this. So I am not allowed to have anyone else fix it but them (for top dollar). My options are pay upfront for Chrysler to fix and it hope to be reimbursed if the recall goes through.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Jan 112014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owed a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the computer module caused a spontaneous fire. The vehicle exploded and was destroyed. The fire department was not called to extinguish the fire. A fire report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacture and the dealer were both notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Highland, MI, USA

Jan 182014

Town & Country 6-cyl

As I was driving 65 mph, the minivan just completely shut off (engine and dashboard). The speedometer dropped to zero, the car began to shake and I had to cut through high speed traffic (with my kids in the car) to safely get over to the side of the road. I put the car in park and then the gear shift became stuck in park. I had to shut off the car for 5 minutes, restart and the car was fine. I am terrified to drive this car with my two small children. I am the original owner and never had this happen before. From what I have read online this is common with Chrysler. When I called Chrysler in mi the customer rep replied "oh wow, I've never heard that before". if you do a search online this has affected many car owners. There needs to be a recall before someone gets into a serious accident. If this happens again I will contact legal representation.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Jan 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving down the road wipers turn on by themselves will not turn off, high beams will not work also turn signals will not work.

- Winnfield, LA, USA

Dec 292013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that smoke emitted from the rear driver's side sliding door panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 65,552....updated 02/11/2014 the consumer stated he was at a light, when the door ajar light illuminated then the inside dome light and hazard lights starting to flash on and off.

- Nottingham , MD, USA

Dec 012011

Town & Country

The first problem we noticed with the van was the brakes. They wear out way to quickly. In the 5 years we have had the van we have replaced the brakes 6 times and rotors 2 times. The next problem was what seems to be a well documented leak of the coolant on to the engine causing smelly smoke. We were forced to by the part from the dealer as it was not available anywhere else and paid over $100 for it. Thankfully my husband was able to replace it. Now at 80000 miles the key and ignition has been having issues. It started with not being able to remove the key fob. The engine will cut off but it will only go into accessory. If left overnight or for sometime it will kill the battery. It started occasionally and has progressed to almost every time you cut the engine off you cannot remove the key fob. It will release but it is after sometime sitting in park. It is very frustrating having to leave your key in the ignition and be forced to leave it sitting in a random parking lot and just hope that when you return the battery is not dead. I have researched this issue and it is very common among this van and other Chrysler vehicles. At this point I am so fed up with it if someone decided to steal it because they saw the key in it I would just wish them good luck. I will never own another Chrysler ! seems like there has to be a fire injury or fatality for them to do anything to satisfy all the unhappy customers they have.

- Bluff City, TN, USA

Dec 112013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country van. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph and attempting a turn, the engine shut off and the power went out. The contact had to shut off and restart the vehicle to correct the failure. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or mechanic for diagnosis. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. Updated 3/5/14

- San Antino, TX, USA

Dec 052013

Town & Country

Driving my 2 small children to school and myself to work, I turned right onto a main roadway and the dash went dead, no speedometer, no gas gauge, no read outs, nothing, then about 5 seconds later the dash flashed back on and front wipers went on. This happened several more times between home, school, and work (35 miles one way). As I was leaving work, the dash went dead and stayed dead for up to a full minute several times between work, school, and dealership, before flashing back on and the wipers coming on. Limped to the dealership with my 2 small children in tow. They had to keep my van overnight in order to trace the electrical issue. Diagnostic was run, issue traced to a body harness in the 3rd row seat where a clip had broken off causing the entire system to shut down whenever driving over bumps (even small ones) or rough parking lots and roads. Chrysler was notified, problem documented, dealership was awesome but Chrysler refused to fix. $2200 to fix that I don't have, vehicle not repaired as it requires so much expense and at least 10 days to repair. That's 10+ days I can't afford to take off work. We will never buy another Chrysler product after 16 years of brand loyalty. Dealership tech has applied a temporary fix so the bus doesn't shut down and cause more issues, like total vehicle shut down. Will provide VIN if contacted directly.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Sep 032013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle would not start.all other electrical systems worked. The only way to start the van was to turn the key on and off rapidly several times and then it would start. We took the van to the dealer and they replaced the starter. The van worked for a few days and then it would not start. We took the van back to the dealer but they can't fix the problem.

- Longview, WA, USA

Nov 032013

Town & Country

Vehicle is having electrical problems. These electrical problems are causing the vehicle to shut off while operating, lights to turn on and off, horn to sound and windshield wipers and washers to operate randomly. This vehicle was purchased new from the dealer and had a similar problem when new.it was repaired and now is doing it again only more severely. There are many reports of similar problems with this vehicle experiencing this problem. In some cases the cruise control starts operating on its own and accelerating. This needs to be a recall.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Aug 072013

Town & Country

The van started shutting it self off during driving. It occurred 7 times in the month of August. Brought it to avondale Chrysler dealer with no results. This problem continued.we brought it to moore and they found nothing. I then contacted Chrysler in detroit who is suppose to be working with us on this, but in the mean time we have no safe vehicle to drive. They don't seem to be in any hurry to fix this issue.the van shut off for them but they diagnose it and nothing shows. It is like someone turns the key off. No warning no engine light warning. So here we are and yesterday on the busiest road in phoenix, the van shut off and almost caused a major chain car accident. I was shaking so bad. This van is so dangerous right now and someone has to get to the bottom of this. I am keeping a file just in case we have accident due to this and we have had quite a few very close calls. Please help.

- Sun City, AZ, USA

Oct 062013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Used keyfob to unlock van and horn started honking (short blasts) continually, wipers/washer activated, all lights in dash started flashing showing an 8 in gear indicator, headlights started flashing, doors locked, fans start running, solenoid starts clicking, it appears that everything electrical under the hood except the starter is activated.

- Binger, OK, USA

Oct 032013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Wife took son to doctors office and van ran fine. Came out of office and car would not shift out of park nor would it start. Like a dead battery. Have a brand new battery in the car so that is not the issue. After trying to start the car with a jump several times we gave up. I then tried one more time and the car started. After car was started I touched the key fob in the ignition and the car shut off. Was able to get the car to start by wiggling the fob as I turned the car over. Now on 10/04/13 car is doing the same thing except this time it did it while going down the road. Car shut off after hitting a bump in the road and I was able to coast to a stop. Luckily there were no stop signs or cars ahead of me since there is no power to the brakes. Got the car started again and it is the same way every time now. Have to giggle the fob in the ignition cylinder to get it to start. Seems to be a major safety issue here. And to find out that this is under recall for the exact same part for the 2009 models is troubling since some of the later 2008 models also have the same faulty ignition switch. Seems to me that Chrysler needs to man up to this and do the right thing.

- Holland, MI, USA

Sep 282013

Town & Country 6-cyl

We were exiting a parking lot and pulling out onto a main road when the horn started honking, the windshield wipers started full speed (both front and back with constant wiper fluid), the interior lights flashed, all the interior warning lights were on, and the headlights shut off. We pulled into the next parking lot & turned the van off, but the horn kept going off for at least 5 minutes along with the wiper, lights, etc. We started it up again with the same results. We were so thankful we were not on the highway yet as we could easily have been killed! we left the van in a nearby parking lot for the night and tried to take it to a dealership the next morning, but they didn't have any open appts till later this week. I'm not sure I could ever feel safe driving this vehicle again as I've read a lot of the same complaints about this make/model/year and it seems like it keeps happening without warning. This is very dangerous & I don't feel safe driving my children around in it!

- Andover, MN, USA

Sep 192012

Town & Country

This is the same issue that a lot of other people are having with the windshield wipers and fluid spraying and going off, horn honking and locks going all crazy. About a year ago this happened and I took my car in and was told it was the clock spring, then a week later same thing happened- happened first while I was driving and it went crazy, then also when I use the key faub to unlock the car it acted up. The second time I took it in they told me my battery was bad, but if I had it in a week before that why is that bad now when they should have noticed then? so put in around $700 to fix this issue. Now yesterday, exactly a year later, same thing happened. Driving on my way to work, it did it for about 5 minutes, I pulled over and shut my car off and restarted it. Then when I left work I pushed my unlock on my key faub and did it for a minute or so, then when I got home and went down to my car to leave last night, used key faub and it started going again, but this time would not stop so the battery is disconnected. I try to hook the battery up and it continues on still. This is dangerous for someone to drive and should be recalled immediately, also, my car would not shift and my ABS light and traction control light turned on this time, and last year it did not. My car is possessed!! I commute to work and this is a very dangerous issue and these cars need to be recalled asap!

- Arvada, CO, USA

May 152013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My 2008 minivan started going electrically haywire while driving and I immediately drove to a nearby dealer. I pulled into service area with horns blowing, windshield wipers and fluid going full tilt constantly, with all switches in the off position. I had to keep my foot on the brake so the car wouldn't get away from me and plow into some one or thing! after I got into the service area everything stopped. On line and found hundreds of similar incidents from other owners.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA