2008 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 52 of 55)

May 092012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Windshield wipers going without being turned on; washer fluid continually spewing out; horn honking continually; lights flashing on and off; doors locked. While driving to the dealership, van stalled in traffic. Finally was able to get it there with the engine running and the key off. Could be a very dangerous situation if vehicle caught fire due to electrical problems and I am unable to get out because the doors are locked and the knobs are down in the door so you can't pull them up to escape. It was like the vehicle was possessed. I purchased this vehicle for my mother to drive and I am afraid for her to use it. The dealership kept it for a day and said it would need a tipm, but it was on back order and wouldn't be in until possibly 1-3 months. Ridiculous! they can make several vehicles in one day and can't a part for 1-3 months. They said we probably shouldn't drive it. That's certainly inconvenient for us since we don't have extra vehicles. While the vehicle was sitting in my driveway, all of the same things happened again-horn honking, windshield wipers going, washer fluid spilling out, doors locked-while it was just sitting in my drive. We were told to unhook the negative battery cable. Something needs to be done about this issue because apparently I am not the only one with this problem as noted in other entries listed. We have not had a crash, fire or injury/fatality as of yet, but I want the problem resolved before that happens!!!

- Madisonville, KY, USA

May 172011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated whenever accessing the driver's side sliding door it would open partially and then close immediately. The vehicle was repaired previously for a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 10V235000 (electrical system: Wiring). The failure recurred one year after the vehicle was repaired. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent malfunction. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- Carteret, NJ, USA

Apr 292011

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving the van home going about 45 mph, when all of the lights on the dash flashed on and the gauges all shot up. I lost my power steering, and realized that the van was no longer running. I tried my best to pull it off of the road, but it was difficult without power steering. The dash lights were all still on at this point. Once I was semi-safely off the road, I put the car in park and shut the ignition off. I immediately turned the ignition back on, and it seemed fine. I continued home. This has happened to me on several different occasions. After about the 3rd time, I had a local store service it. We did not have a Chrysler dealership at the time. They could get no error code in the diagnostics, but told me the throttle plate sensor (?) needed to be cleaned, and perhaps that would help. It did not. It continues to do this, and there is never any warning. So far, it has only happened to me going 45 or so. I've contacted Chrysler about this, and of course they have no record of this type of problem. I told her all she had to do was google it. That's what I did. Their advice was to either hand it over to the dealership to see if they could get it to malfunction (but since it could be weeks or months before it happens, that's really not an option, is it?) or the next time it does that, document everything that happens (as I've done here and reported to them) and take it to the dealership. I stressed that the van always restarts, and the chances that they'd find a code to explain what had already happened and was now over was pretty minimal. It seems that they just don't care to dig deeper, or research possible causes, or even take a vehicle that's having this issue and study it under a microscope. Looks like they're just keeping their fingers crossed that no one actually dies as a result of this issue.

- Waycross, GA, USA

May 092012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Drove vehicle successfully to location, then came back to vehicle to open doors with remote. Pressed open sliding door on remote, the vehicle instantly started a continuous honk and the windshield wipers and fluid started to go off. I was unable to unlock vehicle until it finally stopped 5 minutes later. I was able to turn it on and drive home. Then it occurred again in the afternoon but this time my kids were locked inside in the heat. Finally able to unlock and get kids out, neighbor got the hood open and disconnected battery. Very scared that they could be locked in there again in this heat. I did call Chrysler and awaiting a resolution.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Apr 302012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the driver was driving 40 mph when the air conditioning unit stopped functioning. The driver then attempted to open the windows, but the windows would not respond. The turn signals also did not function and the instrument panel lighting stopped illuminating. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the electronic control module needed to be replaced. The contact was also informed that the parts necessary to perform the repairs were on back order. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they were unable to provide a time frame as to when the parts would become available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Pawleys Island, SC, USA

Apr 242012

Town & Country

The windshield wipers both front and back, the washer fluid and horn all turn on randomly while driving or parked with the ignition off, the doors refuse to unlock or lock, the headlights turn on and off randomly while driving or parked. The dashboard gauges stop working all together or all of the warning lights turn on and off and the radio/navigation will turn on and off. All of the mentioned symptoms occur regardless of whether the ignition is on or not and randomly with no notification or predictability. The dealer wants in excess of $1000 to repair but offers no guarantee that it will not reoccur.

- Rockaway Park, NY, USA

Jan 052012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Our 2008 Chrysler Town & Country leaked water from a manufacturer defect in the ac drain tube, rotted the carpet and underlay, filled the wiring harness under the passenger carpet with water. The drain tube was replaced under a recall. The ac started to blow hot air.the dealer said it was the ac compressor so we had it replaced. $ 800. This did not fix the problem so they said it needed the ac pressure switch and harness so we replaced it. $400. This still did not fix the problem so the Chrysler dealer then diagnosed the tipm. After $ 1200 we still have no ac. We have another $ 500 to pay if we can ever get the part. The whole problem is from the water from the defective drain tube shorting the electrical system and Chrysler know it. The dealer said the tipm was on back order and there were 600 others ahead of us. We contacted Chrysler but they are just giving us the run around. We bought Chrysler to support american jobs. What a grave mistake.

- El Dorado Hills , CA, USA

Mar 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

2008 Chrysler Town and country. Consumer writes in regards to safety recall LO1, problem with vehicle replacement parts not being distributed in a timely fashion. The consumer stated the engine shut off while in the midst of driving. The consumer referenced recall # 14V373000. Updated 03/25/15.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Apr 152012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Instrument panel and gauges turn on and off, wipers turn on unexpectedly, turn signals stop working.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Feb 152012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Van stalls wherever and whenever it wants without warning. Very dangerous!. happens on freeways or back roads. With loss of steering and brakes its not easy to stop. I have read plenty of online forums and allot of T&C owners have the same issue. Why is Chrysler not recalling these?? it happens almost everyday now. Dealer says bring it in but wont really be able to fix it until it happens again. The forums I read aren't very promising. People have brought the van back multiple times and some are still stalling.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Feb 292012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated there was a leak in the air conditioning discharge host that was leaking freon. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that there were no recalls for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 222012

Town & Country

While driving down the interstate at 45 mph the traction control light indicator flashed and all the gauges zeroed out and the van lost power and steering control making it extremely difficult and unsafe to remove from highway. This has happened on three occasions in the past 3 weeks since I have purchased it from dealership as used car. Putting the vehicle in park then restarting it seems to fix the problem temporarily, although I am concerned driving it on the road with me and my children in the van. Now the engine light came on and had diagnostics run. Code P0406 - showing ECM has detected the egr position sensor voltage was too high, probable causes could be: Failed egr position sensor, open or short circuit condition, failed egr valve, failed egr pressure sensor where applicable, or failed egr position sensor where applicable.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Apr 012011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Wireless ignition module was replaced after repeated failures - van would unexpectedly stall while driving - the key would move from the run position to the accessory position. After 6-8 weeks and many visits to the dealership the module was replaced. Within the past month the same symptoms have occurred an additional three times - aprox 11 months after the first occurrence - van is now out of warranty and has 47K miles. I noticed there may be a similar problem in 2010 model year vans and a 1/4 of a million were recalled. What the issue addressed but Chrysler says it is out of warranty.

- Atchison, KS, USA

Dec 222011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Description of the complaint: My 2008 Chrysler Town and country, just stopped working last night. Drove it around all day and it was fine. Went in to work, and when I came out that night to go home, the lights were all working, and the power doors and windows worked. However, the radio stopped working, the power windows no longer work, and the car will not start. It will not try to turn over. You can turn the key and nothing happens. The starter does not click, the motor doesn't do anything at all. Since we can't put it in gear due to the security lockout, we have towed it to a repair shop. This is a major issue considering it is the only vehicle my family has, and now we have no way to get our kids to the doctor or to school. They said it was a fuse box which has to bee ordered but will take a while since there has been a shortage of these items. They said the dealers were out, probably because of a manufactures defect. They said there was not a recall as of yet.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 072011

Town & Country 6-cyl

On Sept. 7, 2011 we experienced a second incident where the vehicle totally shut down while in motion. Took it to the Chrysler dealer and they performed a software update, tsb 18-003-09, and they said this should correct the problem. We performed a dealership battery replacement on 8-1-11. On Dec. 14th, 2011 the problem re-occurred, while leaving a parking lot traveling under 10 mph. Now with out power steering assistance, I was barely able to manually maneuver the vehicle to a open parking spot, stop, put the vehicle in park and it restarted. On Dec. 22, 2011 the problem re-occurred, while backing out of my driveway traveling under 10 mph. Stopped vehicle, placed it into park and it restarted. I called the same Chrysler dealership whom performed the above stated repair, the earliest appointment date they were able to give was Dec. 27, 2011. This is incident is extremely dangerous and alarming to the safety of a family of six. We have google'd this type of incident and have read a lot of similar occurrences. We would like to recommend to the ntsb to conduct a full investigation into this type of incident and issue a safety recall recommendation to Chrysler in order to proactively avoid loss of life's due to this total system failure in which Chrysler has been made aware of.

- Winter Haven , FL, USA

Dec 162011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the headlights and the lights on the instrument panel shut off. The vehicle was stopped and shut off. Upon restart, the vehicle functioned normally. The contact also stated while the vehicle was not in motion the windshield wipers engaged, the horn began to blow, and the door locks engaged and disengaged involuntarily. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that an electrical system module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Snellville, GA, USA

May 032010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Beginning in 2010, both rear sliding doors began malfunctioning. When opened either with the remote or inside button, they begin to open and when most of the way open, close on its own. It started out doing it infrequently, about once every 50 times the door was opened. Over the last year it has become more frequent, doing it about once every few days or so. Once in 2010, my 3 year old daughter was getting out and the door malfunctioned and caught her in between, causing a bruise on her face. For some reason the door did not "bounce back" when it made contact with her, but thankfully I was standing there and was able to manually force the door back open.this year, the door again malfunctioned and almost caught my 8 yr old, but he managed to get out of the way. I have taken it to the dealer twice for this and both times they told me it is functioning fine.the first time I picked it up from the dealer I tested the door. I opened and shut it about 15 times and it malfunctioned. I went inside to get the repair tech to show him and when it didn't happen again he told me there was nothing he could do. When I brought the van in again to have them look at it the second time, they again told me it was functioning fine and that since my van needed a new battery that they thought the battery was the problem. The door did it again that night and again after that three days later. I contacted them twice about it again, asking them if I video taped it if they would believe me and figure out what was wrong. They told me it wouldn't matter and that they would need to keep it until they saw it. They had my van this last time for 5 days! I had to pay $217 for a rental because they didn't find anything. This is dangerous! I have four children getting in and out everyday. I don't have the money for rentals for an unspecified amount of time, but this is dangerous and needs to get fixed!

- Schiller Park, IL, USA

Dec 072011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the horn and the windshield washer activated independently. The doors locked automatically while the engine was off and the air condition also activated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the control module. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 58,000.

- Angier , NC, USA

Sep 052011

Town & Country 6-cyl

We have been continuously hassled with electrical issues with our van. For approximately 4 months we have been experiencing brief issues with all the lights coming on in the gauge cluster along with a pulsing of the dashboard lights and the resetting of the electrical components randomly in the van. We replaced the battery and the issue seemed to go away. After 2-3 weeks it started up again. Me and my family were driving down a highway for about 30 minutes when the cluster gauge suddenly started beeping and all the lights began to flash on and off, the speedometer and tachometer dropped to 0, the radio turned on and off multiple times and the engine shut down briefly while driving on the highway. Immediately after the problem began I pulled off the road and restarted the car, the problem was gone! two days later my wife was taking our kids to school, and after less than 5 minutes of driving the car she experienced the exact same issues. This time before she made it off the road there was a complete loss of power, the brakes stopped working and the steering wheel completely locked up, she was unable to make it to the side of the road! again after a immediate restart the problem went away. We contacted the dealer and we were told that if they could not recreate the problem, there was nothing they could do to fix it. This is a issue because the problem happens randomly. We are aware that this problem has plagued a very large group of consumers and the dealer does nothing but repair random parts because they cannot properly recreate the problem due to its randomness. I feel the problem could easily cause a fatality if the steering wheel locks up at high speed or while turning!

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 252011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While the vehicle was parked the contact inserted the key into the ignition and it would not start. The contact stated the key was fractured on both sides near the panic button. The contact used the second key to start the vehicle and within a few days it fractured in the same manner. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the keys would have to be replaced. The key was not replaced. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Waunakee, WI, USA