2008 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 53 of 55)

Jan 012010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated that the key fob separated from the key and as a result, he was not able to turn on the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the rke transmitter and keys needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 88,457.

- Ishpeming, MI, USA

Jun 162008

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had my van for a little over 3 years and have already had to replace the front brakes on it twice and the rear brakes once. Both times the rotors and brake pads had to be replaced. I have had to replace all 4 tires as well, and that was only at a little over 40,000 miles. I have had to replace the battery, and I am now fixing the A/C & heating system for the third time. And every time I check the mail I receive another recall notice! and all the issues "could cause a fire". in addition, my rear automatic doors do not always close, I have to manually close them or they come back open. I have been paged out of a store for my back doors being open, after I watched them begin to close. I also have problems with the radio freezing.

- Millstadt, IL, USA

Sep 142011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle in park with ignition on when horn began sounding constantly and windshield wipers (front and back) began to operate at high speed. Turned off ignition and removed key and the vehicle did not turn off. Continued for several minutes. Reinserted key and took it out again with no response. Vehicle was still running, all instrument gauges flashing. Next incident vehicle was in motion at approximately 40 mph when same thing happened, vehicle stalled and power assist and brakes were not working. Blaring horn and wiper activity incontrollable has happened several times. Now afraid to drive on highway. Dealer states incident must be occurring at the time it is brought in for them to assess and fix. This is a clear safety hazard. A quick review of owner complaints on the internet shows this is a common problem. How can this not be a recall event" does a fatality need to occur first" I am not willing to risk my family.

- Paw Paw, MI, USA

Jul 302010

Town & Country

This car has been nothing but problems since the moment I bought it. It is so aggravating that Chrysler won't own up to the issues with these cars. Aside from the multiple recalls this car has had in three years, the break system is awful. I had replaced the front breaks and rotors around 28000 miles (maybe earlier I can't remember). Now the back breaks are shot and once again, I will need breaks and rotors that will cost me $375 according to the dealer. My car has 38,000 miles on it. I have owned mini vans in the past and many cars and never have I had to replace both front and rear break pads/rotors this soon. My tires are so bald that all four need replacing. Again, I have never had to replace tires this soon on any of my vehicles over the years. The radio sometimes will not come on or will go black. The factory battery needed replacing at 30,000 miles which was extremely unusual as well. The side doors need to manually be closed when exiting vehicle because if I use the automatic switch, they bounce back. I have come out of stores with my doors wide open. When using the cruise control on the highway, the car with suddenly accelerate with rpms going into the red zone. Only way to stop it is to turn off cruise control. This morning on my way to work pulling out of my neighborhood I heard a grinding sound as the car began breaking on its own. Meanwhile the ebs and ABS lights came on. I pulled over, shut off the car and turned it back on. Drove up the road and lights are still on. This car is junk all around. I have only had it for three years, still have a car payment. Ridiculous. I may just lease next time. That way Chrysler can pay for repairs.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

May 262011

Town & Country

The car will shut down will driving, locking the steering and braking system at random times. The cars wipers/wiper spray/horn all start going off at random. The car won't start leaving me stranded. It is almost as if the battery is dead, this is the 2nd replacement batter in 4 months. The battery has been tested, it is fine. The dealer cannot fix the car, they replaced the horn after the car went crazy and blew it out costing me $350.. I still pay a hefty car payment on this lemon and no one can fix it. I am of course more worried about the safety issue, I Transport children/grandparents. Do I want them to be a statistic because Chrysler won't stand behind their automobile. I have tried unsuccessfully to reach them and all I get is a generic form letter. I drive through the mountains and have had to replace (not turn) the rotors every time I go. This is not normal.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 092011

Town & Country

The wiper blades (both front and back window) turn on without warning. The windshield wiper fluid will spurt out. And the horn will honk. These items will act like this for a short time and up to 10 minutes and won't stop. The car has stopped while I have been driving and will not start for up to 15 minutes. The cars engine will be running even after turning the key to off and taking the key out of the ignition. I have not used the transponder for no other reason than to start the car. The wipers, fluid and horn do not happen all of the time but, it does happen frequently. The car stopping has occurred twice and while my mobility limited mother was in the car with me.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 152011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle ignition switch will occasionally revert from on to off postion with an audible click and car will immediately die. This has happened with the vehicle at rest, but has also commonly occured when making left hand turns at low speed. The vehicle is left coasting in whichever direction it was pointed as power steering assist is immediately lost. I have not been killed, but its obviously a dangerous situation. Apparently a recall exists for 2010 model Chrysler Town and country minivans. It should be extended to include the 2008 that I have. Its likely the same ignition part.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Aug 162011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The engine restarted and the contact resumed normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis and they were unable to duplicate the failure or locate a trouble code. There was a recall on the 2010 model year related to the identical problem under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V139000 (electrical system: Ignition). The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Apr 302008

Town & Country 6-cyl

4/30/2008- spark plugs replaced 3/6/2009- recall power steering hose- brakes replaced- 8,000 miles 6/24-2009 air conditioner fixed blowing hot air- 11,200 miles 12/4/2009- steering checked for noise; bleed air from system 16,650 miles 12/26/2009-got car back 12/30/09 towed in - doors opening by themselves while driving, windshield wiper go on by self, trunk opening while driving, alarm going off car running without key in ignition- computer reprogrammed, sop parts, reprogram mtc, reprogram tipm module- mileage 17,200 2/9/2010 - same issue car towed in to shop- 17,800 rent a car from 3/17/10 to 3/26/103/12/2010 same issue car died in the road- towed in- internal fault with intergrated power module- replaced and tipm reconfigured in module- 18,450 3/15/2010 go to pick up car and the engine light is back on- they had to hook up the computer to turn it off 3/17/2010 engine light comes back on have to drive it back to dealer and they can not figure out the problem 3/19/2010 same issue car revving high pdc/ tipm power module replaced 3/25/2010 tech brings car home and he was having problems engine light on 9/10/10- recall radiator cap & air conditioner blowing warm air " hose replaced & recharged miles=25,200 11//20/10 got car back 12/3/2010 towed in engine light stopped on the expressway, revving over 7,000 towed in PCM replaced tipm shortened internally. Doors opening while driving needed new software = mileage 26,000- had to fight with Chrysler to get a rental after 4 days of them having car*** I was driving on the expressway with my children and the boy scouts to a camping trip when the vehicle stops on the expressway a car could have hit us from behind! -/4/2011 "recall- front wheel bearings/recall HVAC drain and tube..oil leaking needs a PCV valve which I refuse to pay for 4/28/2011- car back 4/29/11 engine light on egr fail- 8/1/11 tipm a the consumer also stated the vehicle was in the repair shop for a week, due transmission problems. Updated 09/15/11

- Levittown, NY, USA

Jul 282011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated while the transmission down shifted the windshield wipers, and the horn activated. The contact had to disconnect the battery in order to deactivate the horn and windshield wipers. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic test but was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current miles were 45,000.

- Port Jervis , NY, USA

Jul 312011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The windshield wipers and horn then began to repeatedly turn on and shut off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the official failure testing indicated that the vehicle needed a wireless control module. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,800 and the current mileage was 74,100.

- Smith Station, AL, USA

Aug 022011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, a burning smell was emitted into the vehicle and the passenger door caught on fire. The fire department was notified and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 16,000. The VIN was not available.

- Brooklyn Center, MN, USA

Aug 022011

Town & Country 6-cyl

After dropping off passenger after lunch the horn blew intermittently and wipers came on for a few seconds and stopped on my 2008 Chrysler Town and country that I bought a year ago as a certified preowned. Drove across parking lot and horn blew once or twice and decided to head to dealership (40 min away) for diagnosis. Was driving down highway 20 mintues later and horn blew continuously, wipers going, washer fluid spraying, vehicle shut off, lost power steering and power brakes. Had to coast to side of the road and call tow truck while waiting in 95 degree heat with no air. Thank god I was in the right lane and traffic was light. Dealership found 11 codes that had to be reset and drove it around and didn't come back on. They didn't know cause of problem but suggested a tip module but said that wasn't for sure the issue. Excellent dealership service department that didn't want to just throw needless parts and money at a potentially fatal problem had it happened on a busy interstate. So now we're waiting to see if it happens again.

- Millers Creek, NC, USA

Mar 012011

Town & Country 6-cyl

When driving the vehicle will suddenly loose power, lights, washers, washer fluid and horn will start blaring and goes crazy, will have to pull over stop the car, wait few minutes and restart the car, will then honk and wipers/fluids will go for a brief second and then stop, happens at least 2-3 times a month, will even happen as locking or unlocking the car with the remote key= took to dealer, nothing wrong, charged $200 for new key, still doing the same thing, owe too much to trade in.

- Newberg, OR, USA

Jul 202011

Town & Country 6-cyl

After arriving at work and entering my office, I heard a horn continuously going off and realized it was coming from my 2008 Chrysler Town and country. When I went outside, I also noticed that the front and rear windshield wipers were on at a high speed, as well as my lights. The instrument panel inside was flashing and the hazard lights were flashing. I then realized that the van was actually on and running... without the key in the ignition! somehow it had started itself up (mine does not have that feature). I tried everything I could think of to get it to stop by turning on the ignition with the key, pressing and holding the brake - nothing worked. After about 5 minutes, a coworker came to help me disconnect the battery but just before we disconnected it the van stopped and it was quiet again. I cranked the car up with the key and everything seemed to be normal. I have yet to drive it so I will see in a few hours if anything is affected. I plan on calling my dealership today about this problem!

- Ware Shoals, SC, USA

Jul 102011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Van stalled unexpectedly on a highway almost causing an accident, resulting in a traffic jam. The electrical system goes haywire unexpectedly while driving, resulting in the horn going off for minutes, front and rear wiper blades and windshield washer fluid going off, head lights and interior lights going on and off. Van will not turn off when ignition switch is put on off and key removed. The van has been taken to the deal several times, but the problem has not been resolved. The dealer has been unable to identify the problem. Both children and myself have been in the car exposing us to potential safety risk and life threatening situations.

- Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Jun 192011

Town & Country 6-cyl

My 2008 Chrysler Town and country sporadically acts up. The wipers go nuts, the washer fluid empties, the horn goes off, and the last time the car shut down, and I had no power steering and no brakes. I had my 2 children in the car and it was very scary. Thankfully I was able to get off the road and bump into the curb to stop. If I were on a highway or busy road it would have ended in an accident and could kill my family or someone else. The service dept thought they fixed it by reflashing some modules but it happened a few more times after that and now they say they can't replicate the problem again so they want me to take the car until it happens again. I think that is poor service for a problem that is definitely a safety issue and can cause a death. This issue is not new as I have read about it online I am just trying to find someone who has had it fixed so I can tell the service dept. What they need to do and I can drive my car safely with my family. This should be an issue Chrysler needs to address!

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jun 262011

Town & Country 6-cyl

I purchased my 2008 T/C van in 2010 from eastgate Chrysler Jeep in indianapolis, in. The van had less than $30K miles. From the time I purchased it, I have had problems with the van ┐turning itself off┐ while I am driving. I have reported this to the dealership more than once and since they cannot duplicate the problem or find anything on the computer they can┐T fix it. I do a lot of highway driving and it has happened while I am going 60 mph. It has even done it while going 30 mpr. There is never a warning. You just realize the car is slowing down with your foot on the accelerator, the radio turns off, and everything else electrical stops. It may do this twice a month or twice a week. I have had this happen twice in 1 day. The dealership did replace the key, but that did not help. I've had 1 instance where the van continued to run, but I had no power to the wipers, windows, radio, air conditioning/heater or lights. I drove straight to the dealership and showed them nothing was working. It was only until I touched my keys that everything came on. I didn't turn the key┐I only touched the key chain. The man at Chrysler saw this happen and was just as confused as I was. I have posted this problem on a website called looking for other people with similar problems. I have received several emails from people having the same issue with their T/C vans. The problem is not limited to just the 2008 models. This is definitely a safety issue. Please look into this as I don┐T feel safe while I drive this van.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 052011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the windshield wipers would turn on involuntarily and all the lights would illuminate on the instrument panel. This failure also causes all the of the gauges on the instrument panel to fail. The contact stated that the last light to illuminate was the (no bus) light, which causes the headlights and brake lights to flash. As a result, vehicle would stall. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on several occassions in which a wiring harness was replaced. The failure continued. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Southern, MD, USA

May 142010

Town & Country

Problem 1 - the van vibrates violently when braking downhill. Changing brake pads, rotors and calipers does not repair the problem. Problem 2 - during warm weather (80 degrees and above) the wipers run continually, the powered drivers seat goes back and forth, the gauges do not work, all of the warning lights come on, the headlights come on, the stereo/nav will not work, the A/C quits cooling but the fan continues to blow, the power window will not work and the lift gate will not open.

- Mountain House, CA, USA