2008 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Nov 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

This is in ref to recall L25.my car over the past 3 weeks is consistently shutting off while driving at least 1X per day.I have almost been in 4 accidents as a result.one time it happened as I was entering a busy interstate.Chrysler has not eta on the piece to fix the car.I called and they said to call you.I Transport a special needs child daily and this is getting ridiculous.I have been on busy main roads, on side roads and driving around a traffic circle and the ignition slips out of the on position, motor dies, I lose power steering and brakes and airbags.I have all keys removed from the key fob and it happens on a daily basis.I will leave the parking deck at my work today and it will shut off going down the ramp and I struggle to steer, stop, put car in park, restart and continue on...hoping I don't get hit or that I hit someone else.I need a temporary car until they can fix this.my key fob sits in the key hole lose and the littlest of bumps throws turns off my car.I either need resolution asap or another car until fixed.if I have an accident then we will see what an attorney has to say.this recall occurred months ago and Chrysler is yet to fix it.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Nov 112014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 50 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system) and believed the failure was related to the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Du Pont, GA, USA

Nov 012009

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had several problems with the 2008 Chrysler minivan. Electrical, engine, ignition, etc. I even had the one door not have the sensor go off and pinch my one twins leg into the door! over the years, the ignition switch pops over and stops the car completely while driving at intermittent times. I could be going 20 miles an hour or on the highway driving at a higher rate of speed. The whole van shuts down so if you are on the highway, you can barely steer to get over (and thankfully I have been able to do so). I received a recall notice in June. It is November and my van still isn't fixed. The dealership and Chrysler know that I am having the issue and have had it. I have called and voiced my complaints. I am "number 5" in line to get the part! so, what will Chrysler do when I get rear ended or injured when my vehicle fails to operate. The van shuts off at least once a week while I am driving it. If I didn't have full, lifetime warranty, this van would have been traded in the year after I purchased it. It has been nothing but problems since I have owned it. Chrysler is not doing its job to keep people safe. They have not taken my issue seriously and brush it off as not a big deal. I have a van because I have kids. I would think that safety would be of utmost importance but it falls on deaf ears.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA

Oct 072014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the engine stalled. The contact was able to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the road and the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. However, the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The dealer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Butler, NJ, USA

Sep 012010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). While driving 2 mph, the engine stalled, the steering seized, and the brakes locked. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after several attempts. The failure has occurred for the past four years. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jun 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving at 60 mph with my husband and daughters in the van, power was lost as the van stalled. Had to turn the key to the off position and restart the engine. This has happened multiple times and at varying speeds. Chrysler needs to do something now before it happens on the interstate and we get plowed into by a semi!!

- Stanford, IL, USA

Sep 102014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The contact experienced the same failure as mentioned in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). However, the part needed was unavailable to service the vehicle. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 40,128..updated 10/08/14.

- Corning, NY, USA

Sep 102014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system). However, the dealer could not repair the vehicle because the parts were not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- Corning, NY, USA

Jul 242014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 80 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle resumed normal operation when the engine was restarted. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Holly, MI, USA

Mar 142013

Town & Country 6-cyl

At low driving speed the engine did not maintain idle and stalled. Due to the engine stall, the brakes, and power steering were disabled and the car continued in motion moving forward at approximately 8 to 10 mph. Driver was able to maneuver to the shoulder of the road and coast to a stop with only the very limited steering and breaking power remaining. Once at a full stop the car was able to restart once the shift lever was placed in the park position. Since this initial incident, the same stall problem has recurred about twenty times in total for two different drivers. Each time the car has been in motion at low speed and usually with the driver backing off the accelerator with the driver's foot moving off the gas pedal and onto the brake pedal. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer more than once and it was stated by the service manager that the issue could not be duplicated when test driven. Also it was stated that no fault was recorded by the standard computerized test of the car.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Apr 102014

Town & Country 6-cyl

My wife was driving home late one night from work and the minivan just died while she was driving. When the van was taken to the repair shop, the motor was blown - valve seats all dropped in one of the heads and all of the main bearings in the crank case had disintegrated! since the day we bought this van used with 24,000 miles it had a problem of "using or eating" oil at about 1 quart for every 1,000 miles. When I contacted Chrysler, I was told that this was normal!! I was flabbergasted as I have never owned a car (I've had over 15) that used oil like this minivan did. It didn't burn it or leak, it was being used somehow. Needless to say, it was out of warranty and we were left with a $3,500 bill to replace the motor. When I contacted Chrysler, I got no response. Please check online for a website called repair pal - there are literally thousands more cases of this happening. I find it hard to believe that this is something normal. It seems Chrysler knew something as they came out with a new 3.6 pentastar motor to replace these ailing motors in 2011-2012 and all newer models. Hopefully there are more people just like my wife and I here who have had the same problem.

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Feb 192014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving on a NY highway at 60 mph when my car suddenly shut off and the ignition turned to the acc position. I had my child in the back seat and we narrowly escaped an accident. I brought the car to my Chrysler dealership and paid $800 for a clockspring which I was told would prevent this from happening again. It just happened again 3 weeks ago. This time I was in rush hour traffic and almost caused a multiple car collision. I had no control over steering wheel or brakes. The car completely shuts off. I called Chrysler and they said "wow, I never heard that before". really?? because models 2009-present have been recalled for this exact issue yet you have no idea what I'm talking about. My car was at the dealership again for 11 days and I was told they don't know what the problem is either. I spent $900 on a rental for that waste of time. These 2008 cars need to be recalled before someone gets killed. I do believe it will happen soon because this is a scary situation to be in.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Jun 112014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The engine light has come on off 4 times since June 2014.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 082014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the win module needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Waterloo, IL, USA

Apr 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Multiple times the engine shuts down while driving. No power breaks, no power steering, possibly no headlights, possibly no airbag...have to throw into neutral and attempt to restart. Doesn't always re-start every time. Very dangerous. Taken to two Chrysler dealerships since the recall and they say that our VIN is not on the recall list. I don't care whether it is the on the recall list or not!!! my wife and four kids have been in the car on several occasions when this occurred.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Apr 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

A few months ago I started having a problem with turning my ignition to the "off" position - it would only go as far as the "acc' position. I turned the van back on, put the van in drive and back into park again thinking I didn't engage the park all the way. Nothing. So I did it again, and again, and again. It finally went to the off position. At first this was happening once in a while. Then after about a month of that, it started happening maybe half the time and now it happens closer to 75% of the time. What happens if the key goes into the "acc" position while I driving" will the same thing happen to the van as it did with the GM vehicles? I could lose steering and brakes and my airbags wouldn't work" I need this problem fixed asap. I should also tell you that there is only one other key on the key ring with the van key. I am very afraid for my safety and the safety of others on the road and my family while we're in it.

- Jenison, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While making left turns at speeds of 5 to 15 mph, the vehicle would stall. The failure occurred on multiple occasions, but the contact was able to restart the vehicle each time. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jan 112012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the entire instrument panel illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The contact mentioned that in some occasions the vehicle failed to restart and was inoperable for days. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Andover , MA, USA

Jun 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving the van stopped working, instrument panel lit up, ac and radio turned off, steering locked and brakes did not work. Contacted local dealership they were unable to diagnose after 2 days. Took it home and same thing happened on 7/11/14. Brought to non-dealership mechanic who is looking into steering column/electrical problem but still nothing after 3 days. I have an extended warranty on vehicle so plan to submit expenses to Chrysler.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

Jul 152012

Town & Country 6-cyl

This vehicle drove straight into a stopped vehicle resulting in $8990 in damages to the front including destruction of the bumper, replacement of the hood, etc. The air bag did not deploy; something the manager at the repair facility couldn't believe. In the past year or so, the vehicle will "capture" the key when you attempt to shut the engine off and remove the key. You have to restart the engine and cycle the key back off to remove the key. It takes as many as five cycles of shutting off the engine and restarting the engine before the key can be removed. The problem is consistent but sporadic; I.e., it happens a few times then is fine for a few weeks and then the problem resurfaces.

- Madison, AL, USA