2008 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Oct 252016

Town & Country

I was dring when I notice temperature gage going up I pull over to check and I begging to smell gas so I open the resoirver for cooling fluid in I some) a strong odor of gas I took to mechanic and they stated it is a possible leak in the head gasket

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 072016

Town & Country

I was driving down a city street when the van suddenly died in the middle of the road. It lost power steering and brakes and wouldn't release the key. After a few minutes the van started again. I began to drive home through city streets when about 10 minutes later the van once again died and lost power to the brakes and steering and wouldn't release key eventually the car maybe a clicking sound and allowed me to start car. I took it to the dealership and they could not duplicate the problem and found no error codes.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 162016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 182,000.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jul 252016

Town & Country

Stopped on the road and then check encine light is on again with stopping while in the middle driving wow so dangerous some was is seriously going to get hurt pulled over then after about an hour I tried to start and again just started with no proble but check engine light remains on....

- Orange, NJ, USA

Jun 152016

Town & Country

Engine shuts down completely causing loss of power steering and brakes. No warnings, just dies. Diagnostics reveal a bad totally integrated power module. Recalls issued for multiple models but not mine. I was told, I have all the symptoms but I don't have the flu ! now they want almost $ 1000 to fix it ! it's an established, defective part but they'll let me drive away in it unless I can come up with the money. Chrysler said it's the same part as the recalled ones but I don't have a recall on my model. Ant time any where at any speed, it shuts down.

- Baden, PA, USA

Jul 152016

Town & Country

I am a 29 year old male. I am severely disabled (quadriplegic). I drive a modified 2008 Chrysler T&C van with special steering and brake controls and a wheel chair lift. I have owned and driven my van 3 years. It has been extremely well maintained. It must be a safe and reliable vehicle because of my special needs and physical limitations. It is the only vehicle on the planet that I can drive. About a month ago, I took my van into chris myers Chrysler, daphne, al, where they replaced my ignition switch and key fob per safety recall #14V373000. On fri July 15, 2016, I went to drive my van to the grocery store. I pressed the door open button on my newly provided key fob and the van immediately went berserk. Just about every electrically powered device on the van exploded into operation - all at the same instance - wiper blades on ultra high speed, rear window washer spewing fluid, horn blasting, fan motors roaring - and on and on! confined to my wheelchair, there was nothing I could do to stop the craziness from the van. All the neighbors in my apartment complex were now out in the parking lot witnessing all the outrageous things the van was doing. I eventually had to get the hood open and disconnected the battery to put a stop to the vehicle self destructing. With a friends help (a friend with some vehicle mechanic expertise), we checked all fuses - all were okay. We were not able to start the van - the van was completely "dead"! my friend manages an auto parts store in gulf shores, al, and knows the service manager at gulf Chrysler, foley, al. As soon as my friend described the situation, the foley service manager asked if the recall had been accomplished and said it was related to the recall. The next morning, my towing service towed my van to nearby chris myers Chrysler. Their service manager has presented me a $1K bill to replace a module.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Jul 152016

Town & Country

Driving down the road at 55 night driving ! complete loss of power steering engine and braking all hampered by loss of power as I tried to slow vehicle to a safe stop all of a sudden power came back. This was a complete safety issue with no power no headlights no taillights driving 55 at night on a back country highway and the vehicle only has 50000 miles on it.

- Kamiah, ID, USA

Jun 162016

Town & Country

The contact owned a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle had a strong hesitation. The check engine warning light randomly illuminated and the vehicle stalled numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic twice who replaced the egr valve and vacuum line. The dealer also completed a manufacturer recall repair for the ignition switch; however, the vehicle continued to hesitate. While driving less than 15 mph, the vehicle independently surged forward at a high rate of speed and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact sustained a whiplash. A police report was filed. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 192016

Town & Country

Unexpected engine shutdown while in motion driving resulting in loss of brakes or steering. This has been happening for 5 years with many visits to the dealership and various repairs, none of which has resulted in returning the vehicle to us in a safe state. My wife and I are 79 years of age and have no faith in the vehicle which we purchased new with the extra extended warranty.

- Monrovia, MD, USA

Sep 012015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated as though it would stall and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 130,579. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Portland, ND, USA

Feb 042016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the repair failed to remedy the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Johnston, IA, USA

Oct 182015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Evans, GA, USA

Town & Country

My 2008 Town & Country burns a lot of oil. There are no leaks or wet spots under the hood or on the ground. I have to add a quart of oil every 100 miles. My research shows that a majority, if not all, of the other owners of this vehicle are experiencing the same issue. Kindly look in to issuing a recall for this problem. Thank you.

- Newbury, MA, USA

Town & Country

Continuation of 02/01/2016 report: With the initial ignition, this car's engine just stopped and lost all power while leaving our driveway, back in 2010. The ignition was replaced Sept. 2014 under a recall notice. We had no further problems at that time. The ignition was replace again in Sept. 2015 due to another recall notice. On Jan. 15, 2016, while driving 40 mph on a local road, the engine shut down and we lost all power. Took car to Chrysler dealer. They could not identify problem, but said a technical report suggested replacing the PCM, which was done on 01/18/2016. On 02/01/2016, the engine shut down and lost all power, after traveling approx. 400 ft. Today, 2/17/2016, my wife was driving on the dallas North tollway, at approx. 50 mph, during rush hour, and the engine just shut down. Luckily she was able to pull over to the shoulder without incident, put the car in park, and restart the engine. If this is an ongoing problem with Chrysler, someone is going to get killed in an auto accident as a result of this problem something needs to be done quickly.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Town & Country

Vehicle shuts off randomly while in motion on city streets going between 10 - 30 mph. The recall (R03) for this problem has been done and the shut-offs still happen. Unknown fault or problem. Several diagnostics done over the past 2 years, all to no avail. Engine tune up with plugs performed. Map sensor replaced. No error codes. Help us!!!

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 282016

Town & Country

Upon purchase of the vehicle (Feb 2015), we received a safety recall notice on the ignition switch (R03/NHTSA 14V-373). Went to dealership (dick meyers Chrysler/Dodge in harrisonburg va) in May 2015 and was told that we were "on a list" and would be notified. Never heard from them. Did a follow up on Jan 28, 2016 and was told the same thing - "on a list" due to backordered parts. This delay seems ridiculous and obvious to us that Chrysler doesn't want to swallow the cost and hoping people will just give up.

- Weyers Cave, VA, USA

Jan 282016

Town & Country

The incidents below are related to the tipm. 11-22-13, 80000 miles, I have video. (I'm guessing on mileage.) in my garage. I hit my unlock button on my fob. I do not have a starter, but my van began running, the lights, wipers & horn came on, the doors locked. I manually unlocked the door. Entering the vehicle, I tried to turn on/off the van, wipers & lights to no avail. After 1/2 hour, it stopped. I started the car. It was working. 3-17-15, 100000 miles (I'm guessing on mileage.) in the parking lot, I tried to start my van. No response. Figured my battery died. As soon as we started a jump, van's horn started blaring, wipers, lights & motor began. Could not turn anything on/off with my key. We removed/replaced a fuse, which stopped the horn, wipers, etc. I drove home. 1-28-16, 122487 miles I left work, hit my fob's unlock button, the wipers started going, etc. (the horn's had burned out from a previous incident). I drove 4 miles. The van stalled dangerously in traffic. I was able to pull over. After 5 mins, the wipers stopped. I drove it home. The engine light came on. I made it home. Next morning, while driving, the washer fluid started shooting! I barely got the van pulled over before it stalled. I couldn't stop the wipers. It started again.I drove to about 2 miles from the dealership before it died - the wipers were still going. My tow bill was $77. When I tell service the symptoms, she said, "do you have a Town and country?" I had the ignition module (recall) replaced.I went home. 2-3-16, 122600 miles driving to work. Wipers begin, wiper fluid shooting out again! 5 days prior, they said it was a recall for the ignition module. Today, it has nothing to do with the ignition module replacement. I must pay $966 to get a new tipm if I want to be safe. It is not covered under recall or warranty. I called Chrysler customer service.they said the same.

- Zimmerman, MN, USA

Feb 012016

- Desoto, TX, USA

Dec 252015

Town & Country

"takata recall" while driving on a normal street the car will just turn off. I will lose control of steering, brakes and the ability of driving it. After the vehicle stops, I put it in park and starts back up.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Jul 112015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started various electrical functions did not function intermittently. In addition, while driving at approximately 35 mph, the contact saw steam come from the engine. The vehicle was taken to the contacts residence. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 170,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Mandeville, LA, USA