2008 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While I am driving my 2008 Chrysler Town and country it shuts off without warning. When this happens I am usually driving less than 35mph but it is very difficult to control the van due to a loss of power steering, electric, and gas control. I usually have to apply the brake, shift it in neutral, and wait for the engine to restart (which sometimes stalls for a few seconds). This is very concerning to me as a parent with 3 children who usually travel with me and it happens frequently--so far up to 6 times in 1 day.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving the van stopped working, instrument panel lit up, ac and radio turned off, steering locked and brakes did not work. Contacted local dealership they were unable to diagnose after 2 days. Took it home and same thing happened on 7/11/14. Brought to non-dealership mechanic who is looking into steering column/electrical problem but still nothing after 3 days. I have an extended warranty on vehicle so plan to submit expenses to Chrysler.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

Jun 162014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving back from work my vehicle turned off completely. It was rolling and I was unable to brake or turn the steering wheel. There was no power steering, no brakes, all the controls and lights were off. I was in the middle of the busy 4 lane street. I put my hazard lights on and moved over to the outside lane and ultimately was able to turn into the parking lot. I sat there for a while stunned by what happened. After a few minutes I tried to start the van. It did start and I was able to continue on my way home. Exactly the same situation occurred today, July 14, 2014. We also have been having issues with starting the van. After turning the key the van starts up and a few seconds later goes dead.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jun 112014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving about 30 miles an hour when my van shut off by itself. I had to pull over to the side with no power steering or power breaks, shift into park and restart my van. After the restart it again shutdown on its own at the next stop sign. I restarted and have not his this particular problem happen again. I have also had random problems with the air conditioning / heater fans randomly shutting off. To remedy the problem the with fans I have to shut off the van completely and restart and then the fans start working again.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jun 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle has "shut off" while driving at moderate speeds (30-45 mph) 3 times within the past month. The most recent incident was June 25. The vehicle "shuts off" with no warning and no check engine light. I will have the vehicle checked for codes, on the off chance something has been stored. So far, I have been able to guide the vehicle to the side of the road and come to a stop. It appears that I still had steering and braking capabilities. I was able to put the vehicle in park, restart the vehicle, and travel on without incident the first two occurrences. However, on June 25, the vehicle would not immediately restart. It did restart after several attempts. Unless the condition repeats for the mechanic, the likelihood of their being able to diagnose the root cause is slim. Within the past week, there have been several times the vehicle has been difficult to start. The vehicle will turn on and then immediately turn itself off. Adding gas by depressing the fuel pedal does not affect the vehicle's ability to remain started. It still turns itself off. Thus far, I have been able to get the vehicle started eventually. This incident has occurred on both hot and cold start conditions.

- Bedford, NH, USA

Nov 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down the road the road I hear a light click and the engine shuts down, and steering becomes locked and I have to put the car in park to restart the vehicle. When this continued to happen after I heard the click I would look down and the key has moved from the on position to the acc position. This has happened multiple times since 11-14-2012 and happened a lot during 2013, I finally called Chrysler in August of 2013 when the van shut down while driving and one time while sitting in line at the bank and that same day while making a left hand turn and almost got hit as lots of traffic during rush hour. I took the van to avondale Dodge and they finally replaced the fuel pump as they found it was cracked this was in October of 2013, so my claim was closed with Chrysler. Van shut down again on 12-22-13 while looking at christimas lights in my community. There have been several other incidents since 12-22-13 that my van has shut down the latest being on 6-4-14 while driving on the 101 freeway going 65 miles an hour. I had to think quick and I remember that my son who has a 2005 Dodge Ram had this same issue with his truck and he told me to put the transmission into neutral and restart the van as it was coasting and then put it back into drive. The van restarted and I was able to get to my destination and back home without issue. I called Chrysler on 6-6-14 to report that the issue continues and that it happened on the freeway this last time. They started a new claim and had me take it back to larry H. miller avondale Dodge. The dealer can still not recreate the issue! I fear for the safety of myself, children and grandchildren.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Aug 192013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated and the entire instrument panel warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the power steering failed and was unable to apply the brakes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the win module and ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,029 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Oct 012013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My van will just turn itself off while you are driving and you lose all power steering and etc. We have had it to the dealership 3 times. I believe it should be included in the ignition switch recall but I have contacted the Chrysler 1-800 number and contacted them thru their website and they won't help me. The representative thru their 1-800 number wants me to pay to take it to another Chrysler dealership and pay them to look at it after I have already paid $800 to my local one to have a switch replaced that did not fix the problem.

- Lenoir City, TN, USA

May 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had issues with stalling for months. Since February 2014, I have taken to local service center 3 times but they cannot fix it. Finally on May 1, 2014 after the vehicle stalled 2 times, I was involved in a collision. No injuries and the only damage was to my vehicle. Current estimate to repair the vehicle from the collision is $1700. There is no estimate to repair the stalling because there is no solution known to cause the stalling. Typical stall: While driving, the power steering gives out and then the brakes lock up. The vehicle has to be put into park after I attempt to safely stop. The key has to be turned all the way to off position before it will restart. Frequency is 1-4 times per week.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

May 032014

Town & Country

Van intermittently stalls at low speed unexpectedly. Gauges will fail at high speed, but has only died at low speeds. Occurs when cold outside. Must turn ignition off and on again to start. Sometimes must put in gear and back to park first.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down a main road, the car suddenly shut down. Nothing worked. I could not brake or steer as power steering went. The only thing that stayed on was the radio. Car slowly coasted and eventually stopped. My 2 young children were in the car, I have already told dealer about this and they said they could find nothing wrong but that it sounds like a key roll back issue. They told me if it happens while driving again I should turn key as it may have moved from on position to acc position due to a bump in the road. Turning the key did nothing. After the car stopped I attempted to restart car and everything worked except the malfunction indicator light stayed on. This is a serious issue and Chrysler service department did not seem to care when I called! then I begin researching and find that they recalled 2009 vehicles of the same make for the same problem!

- Olmsted Township , OH, USA

Apr 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Our van makes a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front end/axles. It is especially noticeable when we are turning. It sounds like a fluttering/grinding of metal or some part that is revolving with the wheels as we drive.

- Alburtis, PA, USA

Mar 152014

Town & Country

While driving in residential area, van would completely shut off (stall) without notice. Radio/dvd would continue. Major problem with the shut off is that there is no power steering and the brakes ould not work! it's happened multiple times. The next day the engine light came on. Took to the dealership and the only code was egr valve code. Technician did not connect it to the engine failure. After discussing with chryler, they felt that the egr valve does contribute to the engine failure at low speed.

- Elida, OH, USA

May 152013

Town & Country 6-cyl

3 occasions driving my 3 children to school my Town and country became unresponsive. The steering failed, brakes and the car went unresponsive. The electric stability control warning light came on. To remedy, I had to put car in park, and restart vehicle. The last instance when this occurred I rolled into a four way stop as my breaks did not work. An online search has shown many other have experienced this issue with the Dodge Caravan and Town & Country both made by Chrysler. Took van to dealer who said diagnostic test showed nothing (other people report this same experience). They updated the PCM software. I find it hard to believe a software update would render my car safe to drive and be the factor that caused it's whole system, brakes included to shut down. This issue needs to be looked at. Mini van drivers carry children!

- Grove City, OH, USA

May 052013

Town & Country

I have a Chrysler 2008 Town and country with 66000 miles on it. While driving my van at approx 35 miles per hour the van suddenly flashed the electronic throttle control light, check engine light, and slippery condition light. The van lost the ability to press on the gas pedal and make it go. It continued to idle down the road, but the gas pedal made no difference on the speed I was going. I idled into a driveway, turned the van off, let it sit for approx 30 minutes, then restarted the van. The van started fine, but while driving it home it did the same thing. I idled the last 1/2 mile home to get the van in the driveway. The next morning I made a service appointment and drove the van to the dealership. It stopped running one time on the drive, which is approx 5 miles away from my house. I again had to stop the vehicle, put it in park, and restart the vehicle. The dealership called and said that it was a wire going to the electronic throttle control that needed to be repaired. I see that there was a service bulletin regarding this issue in the 2010 Town and country and didn't know if the same bulletin applied to the 2008. I feel that this is a major safety issue as the van loses all ability to get up and go. Had I been driving on the highway when it lost all power I could have caused a major accident! within the past month we have also replaced the egr valve, the power steering fluid line, and the power harnesses on the door. They are now taking apart the engine because it is making a "lifter tapping" noise.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Sep 122012

Town & Country 6-cyl

1. while driving the esp indicator light and engine comes on and wheels automatically go into slow mode (as if I were on ice). I manually shut off button. Took it to dealer and said the coil in my steering module is bad, needs replacing. I complained of van having hard shifting in accel and decel. Fault code C1210-steering angle sensor 2. the engine light reports that I have a bad egr valve, needs replacing. Found code P1404 & code P0404.

- Kulpmont, PA, USA

May 012009

Town & Country

In my 2008 Chrysler Town and country which now has about 70,000 miles on it I have changed the front brakes and rotors 6 diffrent times. When going down a hill and braking the steering wheel shakes so bad and I dont feel like I have a full pedal. Have taken back several times to ask about the problem and all I get is a run around from a chrsler garage.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Jun 172012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down a secondary road at appriximately 25 mph the motor shut down as well as power to the steering and brakes. Proceeded to coast down the road until a safe place was identified to turn off the road. Since power had cutoff steering and braking the vehicle was extremely difficulty. Stopped the vehicle safely and placed the shifter into park and turned the ignition to the off position. Restarted the vehicle with no indication of any further problems. Two months later the same problem occured but vehicle was traveling at 35 mph this time.

- Jacobus, PA, USA

Apr 292011

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving the van home going about 45 mph, when all of the lights on the dash flashed on and the gauges all shot up. I lost my power steering, and realized that the van was no longer running. I tried my best to pull it off of the road, but it was difficult without power steering. The dash lights were all still on at this point. Once I was semi-safely off the road, I put the car in park and shut the ignition off. I immediately turned the ignition back on, and it seemed fine. I continued home. This has happened to me on several different occasions. After about the 3rd time, I had a local store service it. We did not have a Chrysler dealership at the time. They could get no error code in the diagnostics, but told me the throttle plate sensor (?) needed to be cleaned, and perhaps that would help. It did not. It continues to do this, and there is never any warning. So far, it has only happened to me going 45 or so. I've contacted Chrysler about this, and of course they have no record of this type of problem. I told her all she had to do was google it. That's what I did. Their advice was to either hand it over to the dealership to see if they could get it to malfunction (but since it could be weeks or months before it happens, that's really not an option, is it?) or the next time it does that, document everything that happens (as I've done here and reported to them) and take it to the dealership. I stressed that the van always restarts, and the chances that they'd find a code to explain what had already happened and was now over was pretty minimal. It seems that they just don't care to dig deeper, or research possible causes, or even take a vehicle that's having this issue and study it under a microscope. Looks like they're just keeping their fingers crossed that no one actually dies as a result of this issue.

- Waycross, GA, USA

Feb 102012

Town & Country

Our 2008 Town & Country touring has begun shutting down while moving without warning. It has happened six times in 3 months at both lower speeds, and once going 60+ mph on a busy interstate. When it loses power, we lose steering and breaking power making it very difficult to control the vehicle. This is a very dangerous situation, particularly for a car normally filled with children. It also occasionally will stall every time you start it. Ours will throw no codes and no warning lights come on, so no one has been able to find the problem. The dealership claims no knowledge. This problem is discussed on multiple forums and going back only one year there are at least 7 other complaints of the same issue (ODI id numbers: 10453837, 10452564, 10450629, 10441113, 10438800, 10428568 & 10422766) and many more dating past that. I know you all are probably very busy reviewing complaints, but Chrysler and NHTSA should not be waiting for some one to get in a serious accident before figuring this out becomes a priority.

- Richmond, VA, USA